Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #16  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealamber View Post
i wear a set of black rubber bracelets. for every 10 pounds i take one off. simple and cheap. they are always there to remind me that i have something to lose.
Amber where in La are ya?
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

About 8 months to a year after my husband and I moved to WI, I discovered that I had lost 20 lbs accidentally (I didn't own a scale, and wasn't dieting).

My doctors in Illinois had told me to expect to lose some weight without trying (but to be honest, I thought they were nuts, because I had never lost so much as an ounce in all my life without trying. I've gained while trying to lose, but I never lost without trying).

Money was insanely tight as we went from two good incomes, to one small one, but I bought a charm bracelets (an inexpensive pandora style bracelet) at a BIg Lots style store (even though I had an old-style chain charm bracelet). I decided that I'd buy a charm for one of the bracelets every time I lost another 5 lbs.

Even though money was tight, the charms were cheap (most under $1). When the store closed, I planned on looking elsewhere for inexpensive charms, but I just lost track.

A few weeks ago, we were discussing charm bracelets at my TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) group, and I bought a new charm bracelet. I also dug out my two older ones, and have started buying charms for them again. I found an etsy seller who sells the pandora style charms and beads very inexpensively (most under $3, and as low as 75 cents).

I now have enough beads and charms to represent 90 lbs if I would change my goal to 1 for every 10 lbs, but I lose so slowly that I really want to keep it at a charm/bead per 5 lbs.

If I reach a healthy, normal weight this could amount to more than 50 beads/charms. I'm seriously considering replacing the chain style bracelets with only the pandora style, but regardless the charms are really helping me stay focused, because I've started wearing the bracelets every day to remind me of my losses.

It's not the "reward" that is important to me, it's the reminder of the accomplishment. I'm considering what to do during maintainance. Do I wear the charm bracelet every day as a reminder? What do I do with the beads if I gain weight. Do I take a bead/charm off the bracelet until I earn it back or do I destroy or give away the bead if I don't get the weight off in a specific time (I may always gain 5-8 lbs with PMS/TOM so I can't count that weight or I'd be giving a bead away every month).

I'm not much for punishment as a weight loss motivator, but I'm not all that materialistic. The little charm/beads aren't really as important as the weight they represent (especially since they're so inexpensive). I imagine I'll become attached just enough to the bead/charms that the prospect of destroying them (or giving them away) might help me be more protective of the lost weight.

I've also thought of tattoos to commemorate weight loss (thinking that if I've written it (or something symbolizing it) on my skin, I'm not going to want to advertise a lie. The permanence may make it easier to keep the weight off, or it could make it that much more discouraging if for some reason I can't keep every ounce off. At least with the beads, adding and subtracting beads can be a life-long incentive program.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #18  

Height: 5'7'

I am putting money away - so far I am up to about $350 to put towards all new clothes!! I have been dressing so frumpy that I'm ready to be more fashion-y as I shrink.

I haven't done it at any milestones I just keep socking away when I can.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Mine is going to be a spa day
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Jelly - yes Danita is my coach too. Paula does the massages down in the same area.

The biggest reward will be the shopping spree at goal! I can't wait. Especially the new bras. I can't bring myself to spend the money on it now, but boy do I need some new ones.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealamber View Post
i wear a set of black rubber bracelets. for every 10 pounds i take one off. simple and cheap. they are always there to remind me that i have something to lose.
I love that idea! Something thats a daily reminder how far you've come and keeps you on the right track! I'm going to do this today!!!
Dancer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #22  
Incredible Shrinking Wife

S/C/G: 172.8/142/130

Height: 5'4"

Sherwood & Stolaf, we must think the same. I put $10 in a pot for every pound I lose so I can buy new clothes when I hit goal! Kudos to my hubby for this fantastic idea, by the way...

In the meantime, every 10 lbs gets me a pedicure...
MrsD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #23  
Started IP July 8th

S/C/G: 325/210/210

Height: 5' 10"

For myself, I have mini goals but no rewards.
I am a motorcycle instructor and my reward at goal is to buy myself a new custom riding suit.
Of course my old gear is starting to get a little loose on me, especially the pants, I have to pull them up over my belly now because they won't stay on my waist, but for some reason that doesn't really bother me lol.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I didn't set up any mini goals for myself, but I just surpassed 25# and I bought a couple of "interim" pairs of pants and a new coach bag. So, I guess you can say that was my reward.

Once I hit goal, I am looking forward to the shopping spree
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #25  
Melting Mama

S/C/G: 336/274.5/175

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any rewards for mini-goals, but I love the bracelet idea.

My Mom and I are going on a Mediterranean Cruise when I reach goal.

We have talked about going for a while, but I never wanted to be in a bathing suit in public.
JodiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

I just booked a massage for losing over 20lbs. Best part is, it's a deep tissue and free for me as it was a birthday gift from May!
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

I don't even think about rewarding myself. I figure the pounds off is the best reward. Great ideas from everyone. Do what works!
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I just bought my 'reward magazine' for staying OP all through the weekend, and let me tell you it felt really great getting to reward myself with something like that. Totally different than if I had just bought it on a whim.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #29  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMommy View Post
I just bought my 'reward magazine' for staying OP all through the weekend, and let me tell you it felt really great getting to reward myself with something like that. Totally different than if I had just bought it on a whim.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 151.8/139/130

Height: 5"3

great ideas! I won a wellness challenge last week and all I could think about was rewarding myself with treats, dinner, food! AHHHH! I've learned so much on how that's what my parents did and that's all I think of... my kids on the other hand always ask for a "family walk" as a reward for something. Love that but I want more... so I rewarded myself with new clothes (size mediums!!) which I haven't worn in 20+ years from Savers (a second hand store)!! and when I hit my final goal I get to go to a really fancy place for new underwear & bras
ColleenS is offline   Reply With Quote