Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Arrow Ideal Protein recipes & pix from Finland

I started the Ideal Protein diet 1 month ago and have gone from 312lbs to 280. Still a long way to go, but going well.

UPDATE: I am now at 244 (19 Oct) and never felt or eaten better in my life.

When I started, I searched the internet for other recipes and hints and found this cool site. But I didnt see too many pix which help me decide if I want to make it. :-)

Anyway, I created an Ideal Protein Facebook page to share some recipes & pictures that I thought this forum might enjoy.

Link below:

http://www.facebook.com/idealproteinlohja

(The best way to see pix of all recipes at once is to click PHOTOS on the left navigation of the Facebook page, then click WALL PHOTOS. Scroll down til you see something that tickles your fancy. Here is the direct link to the photos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8624882&type=3

Last edited by FinnSteven; 03-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #2  

Talking Raspberry & Lemon Cream with Basil

RASPBERRY & LEMON CREAM WITH BASIL:

This chic two-toned treat gives you 3 refreshing desserts per day that only count as 1 Ideal Protein snack! Giving you a painless & delicious solution if you battle with "mental hunger" so you can give in to the munchies without breaking your diet.

Since this recipe uses two Ideal Protein products (Raspberry Jelly and Lemon Pudding) to make 6 desserts, you can enjoy 3 desserts per day for two days. These are so beautiful and yummy that they are sure to fill you with giddy delight every time you open the 'fridge to take yet another one without guilt.

1. Make Raspberry Jelly with more water than instructed. (I use 200g using measuring cups)

2. Pour evenly into 6 "pots de creme" cups. (Glass is best so you can see the beautiful layers.)

3. Put in refrigerator to set.

4. When set (approx 2 hours), make the Lemon Pudding using more water than instructed (I used a little over 200g)

5. Pour evenly over the set raspberry jelly.

6. Garnish with a leaf of Basil.

(You can also chop fresh or frozen (NOT DRY!) basil into small pieces and add to the Lemon Pudding while mixing. I love the fresh, unexpected zing the basil brings, but some might prefer their lemon cream served without frills. )
Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #3  

Talking Roasted Vegetables

ROASTED VEGETABLES:
This vegatable meal reminds me of American Thanksgiving or fall harvest feasts. Goes well with both many meat choices or your Ideal Protein soup on the side. So good. Satisfy your hunger with a hearty plate of roasted rutabaga (lanttu), turnip (nauris), radish (retiisi), green onion (purjo) & celery (selleri) with fresh herbs.

1. Chop the rutabaga and turnip into bite-sized chunks.
(Because of the strong taste of rutabaga, you should have a ration of about 2-3 turnip pieces to 1 rutabaga)

2. Boil in water lightly salted with sea-salt for about 10-15 minutes until cooked, but not mushy.

3. Drain and return to empty pot.

4. Chop the celery and radish into bite size pieces. Chop green onion as desired. (I slice into large circles and let it break up while cooking)

5. Add the chopped vegetables back to the pot. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.

6. Add spices of your choice. I use:
a) Frozen herbs du provance (basil, oregano, etc)
b) Pinch of garlic powder
c) sea salt
d) Spicy Herbamare
e) Pinch of indian chili powder
f) Pinch of clove powder (Nelikka)
g) Pinch of nutmeg powder
h) Generous sprinkling of thyme.
Now stir until mixed well.

7) line a baking pan with baking paper and spread the vegetables out on a sheet so they will cook evenly.

8). Bake at 225 C for 10-20 minutes (should be brown, but not burned)

8. Remove from oven and serve.

(I cut up fresh rosemary and parsley. The rosemary made a really nice contrast to the vegetables. In the future, I will add a generous sprinkle of rosemary to the cooking stage.)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #4  

Talking You're Not Hungry - You're Thirsty! // Try an Iced Herbal Tea

YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY -- YOU'RE THIRSTY! Battle the Cravings with Iced Herbal Teas
Believe it or not, what most dieters think of as hunger is actually thirst. Drinking water before meals as well as drinking water when you want to snack will often kill the cravings.

However, sometimes your taste buds want more than water. Thats where herbal teas come in handy. Hot teas help you feel satisfied. But have you considered unsweetened iced tea?

I discovered this treat out of necessity. I just wasnt drinking enough water. So I boiled some water, added it to a pitcher and threw in 2 peppermint herbal tea bags to seep for 7-10 minutes. I then poured it into an empty 1.5 liter bottle and let cool before putting it in the refrigerator.

The next time I was hungry, I drank greedily. The peppermint was a revelation. Sweet (but not sweetened!) and refreshing.

I found a wonderful Organic Health Food store in downtown Helsinki that sold all sorts of exotic herbal teas without the caffeine.

"Celestial Seasonings - Bengal Spice" is my perfect chilled Chai (cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, nutmeg, chicory, carob & Vanilla.)

Other great flavors iced have been Choco, Rooibos (many flavours), Rosehip, & Lotus (Lime with a sweet hint of licorice).

What are your favourite herbal iced tea flavors?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #5  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Height: 5'4"

This is awesome, I joined the FB page as the pictures make the food look SO good. I am definitely going to make the Frozen Banana Fosters. Great idea!
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #6  

Default Turkey Steaks 3 Ways

TURKEY STEAKS 3 WAYS:
Elegant & filling dinner you wouldn't mind serving to guests. An outdoor gas barbeque is your best friend... its so quick and simple to create full meals in minutes.

Turkey 1 (Rosepepper): On both sides of the breast, rub with a small amount of olive oil. Add sea salt/ herbamare. Sprinkle generously with crushed rose pepper. The breast should be almost coated, not just spiced.

Turkey 2 (Lemon Pepper): On both sides of the breast, rub with olive oil. Add sea salt/herbamare. Sprinkle with a heavy hand of black pepper. Squirt a generous amount of lemon juice and let marinate for at least 5 min. (I also add a dash of Tabasco to the breast, but its optional)

Turkey 3 (Mustard): Add salt to breast. Cover with a sugarless hot mustard (I used Turun Sinappi "Gourmet Sinappi". I have also used Dijon. Be certain there is no sugar in your mustard!)

BBQ breasts until done.

Serve with Grilled Mushrooms (Mushrooms, olive oil, sea salt, + Thyme), Dill Pickles, & Green Salad with a few cherry tomatoes and sugarless Soy Sauce dressing.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteSki View Post
This is awesome, I joined the FB page as the pictures make the food look SO good. I am definitely going to make the Frozen Banana Fosters. Great idea!
Thanks. Actually, the Frozen Banana Foster is my least favourite of the things I made so far. Of course, its good (and I love stretching 1 little pudding into 4 treats for the same calories for snacking throughout the day)... but its obviously not the same as a Haagen Daz bar.

But the Raspberry & Lemon Cream with Basil was awesome. Same concept of stretching the treat to snack on throughout the day, but the taste was awesome. The pudding + the jell-o totally made it feel like I was cheating and satisfied the cravings.

Thats the one I would try first if I were you. (Or if you combine the banana pudding + chocolate pudding and make 8 popsicles, you can have 4chocolate banana treats a day that only count as 1 IP snack.)

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #8  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSteven View Post
Thanks. Actually, the Frozen Banana Foster is my least favourite of the things I made so far. Of course, its good (and I love stretching 1 little pudding into 4 treats for the same calories for snacking throughout the day)... but its obviously not the same as a Haagen Daz bar.

But the Raspberry & Lemon Cream with Basil was awesome. Same concept of stretching the treat to snack on throughout the day, but the taste was awesome. The pudding + the jell-o totally made it feel like I was cheating and satisfied the cravings.

Thats the one I would try first if I were you. (Or if you combine the banana pudding + chocolate pudding and make 8 popsicles, you can have 4chocolate banana treats a day that only count as 1 IP snack.)

Good luck!

Thanks, I actually am going to be making the Raspberry and Lemon cream with Basil first as I have the ingredients to do so right now. I'm looking forward to it, they look SO yummy! I'll have to hide them from my son!
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #9  

Talking SHAKE IT UP! Getting more from your shakes

SHAKE IT UP - GET MORE FROM YOUR DRINKS: Bigger portions. More filling. Wider taste variety.

The Ideal Protein shakes are not only an easy kick-start to your morning, but also a great way to feel satisfied at night as a snack. Try these hints to supersize and powerup your shakes.

1. Add up to 2 cups (16 oz / 450 miligrams) of water. It adds no extra calories and the taste doesnt suffer. (Although for Cappucino I use 1 3/4 cup for a stronger flavor) You will get about 3 big glasses vs 1 and be very filling.

2. Make the shakes in a blender, not a shaker. The pulse creates much more volume and often creates a delicious froth of foam like an old tyme soda shop.

3. Add 3-5 large ice cubes to the blender to make a thicker, colder drink.

4. Pour yourself 1 glass and enjoy. Before pouring your next glass, pulse the remainer in the blender again to refresh for the perfect shake without separation of foam/drink.

5. Experiment with different flavors. I liked the chocolate so much I was hesitant to try anything else. But the fruit flavors blend up with much more volume and zing and taste like Orange Julius or Smoothies. I usually have a chocolate shake in the morning and a fruit flavored shake for night snack. Even the Pink Lemonade and Blueberry/Cranberry/Pomegranate drinks frothed up amazingly in the blender, so they felt like smoothies rather than a plain drink.

6) Blend flavors.
Orange Chocolate: In a container with a sealable lid, pour in 1 package Orange Drink with 1 Package Chocolate. Pour half of the mix in the blender with 2 cups cold water. Add ice. (Save other half of mix for another day). So Amazing. My favourite blend.

Chocolate Cappucino: In a container with a sealable lid, pour in 1 packet of chocolate shake and 1 packet of cappucino. Pour half in the blender with 2 cups of cold water. Seal the unused portion for another day.

Chocolate Coconut (Bounty/ Mounds): Mix 1 package of Chocolate with 1 package of Pina Colada (Note that the pineapple in the pina colada changes the flavor from a pure choco-coconut, but its still really good.

7. Try add ins. Some examples:
a) Chocolate: Add a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of cardemom and a pinch of good Indian chili powder to make a spicy "Mexican Frozen Hot Chocolate"
Gingerbread Chocolate: Add a pinch or two of gingerbread spice (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice)
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie: Add a pinch or two of pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice)

b) Flavoring/ Extracts: Try a drop or two of flavored Stevia or other extracts to really change the tastes. Try the baking ailse of your grocery store, health stores, ebay or http://www.stevia.com/

Choco-Mint (add Peppermint Stevia/ Peppermint extract)
Rum Chocolate (add Rum extract)
Mint Julep: (Add Spearmint (or Peppermint) to Pink Lemonade)
Chocolate Orange (add Valencia Orange Stevia)
Raspberry Chocolate (add Chocolate Raspberry Stevia)
"Nutella" / "Geisha" Chocolate Hazelnut (add Hazelnut Stevia)
Chocolate Caramel (add English Toffee Stevia)
Chocolate Covered Apricot (add Apricot Nectar Stevia)
Chocolate Arrack (add Arraksarom - Arrack Extract)

c) Herbs. No seriously.
Southern Basil Lemonade: (Add a handful of fresh basil to the blender with pink lemonade shake)
Mild Mint Julep (Add a handful of fresh spearmint to blender with Pink Lemonade)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-24-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/165/140

Wow!
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Love, love, love - the chocolate shake, hated the orange and the pina colada - can't wait to try mixing them with chocolate now. Will be a nice change. Don't know why I never thought of it before - I used to crave those chocalate oranges the entire month of December
I really enjoyed the lemon pudding made into a cake, but your idea with the jello sounds intriguing.
I am definitely looking forward to your roasted veggie meal this week as well!
Keep experimenting!!
jewels2548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels2548 View Post
Wow!
I used to crave those chocalate oranges the entire month of December
that's totally what I thInk the chocolate orange mIxture tastes lIke...those
chrIstmas chocolate oranges.
remember that the pINa colada mIx does have a bIt of the pIneapple taste In It whIch mIght be a bIT unusual at fIrst, but I lIked the tropIcal chocolate vIbe. thanks for the feedback.

PS.
I edited the baked veggie recipe aboe. I forgot to write that you mix in the spices, then lay the veggies out onto a flat baking sheet. (ie., dont cook all together in the pot.) Spreading them on the baking sheet gives you the crisp outside and soft inside.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #12  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Thank you, you have given me some ideas... I think I will try chocolate pudding with the raspberry with a little bit of chocolate raspberry coffee...
I am going to have to go on facebook tonight and add the page. Will have to start taking pictures of my food.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #13  
Started IP on 1/3/2011

S/C/G: 308/308/150

Height: 5' 2"

This is WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you!!! Just added your page of fb. Been on this plan for 8 months and super excited to get new ideas. Thanks again
Beachbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #14  

Default :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbella View Post
This is WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you!!! Just added your page of fb. Been on this plan for 8 months and super excited to get new ideas. Thanks again
Thanks. Glad to be of help and will be updating the FB page with new recipes and pix every week.

And your progress pix are an inspiration!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #15  

Default Grilled Vegetable Tian & Graham Masala Flounder

GRILLED VEGETABLE TIAN & GRAHAM MASALA FLOUNDER:
The vegetable tian is a modified recipe from the delightful Anna Olson Fresh program. (Link below to original recipe.) The flavours burst and its incredibly filling. Enjoy alone or with the steamed indian fish.

Graham Masala Flounder
For the fish, dip two pieces of skinless flounder in milk (that you didnt use from your morning coffee allowance. You can also use water or lemon juice) Sprinkle generously with indian "Graham Masala" powder (found at most asian stores and often in supermarkets. But the best flavours are the true indian spices) I fill my rice cooker 1/2 way with water, then add the fish to the steaming bowl and turn it on. Cooks perfectly every time. When done, squirt with lemon and add sea salt/pepper per taste. This would also cook up nicely in a pan, but steaming makes it melt in your mouth, so I never fry it.

Grilled eggplant, zucchini and beefsteak tomatoes with a Herb de Provence rub.

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6

Ingredients
Herb de Provence Grilling Rub

1/4 cup diced onion (I use use leek or green onion)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon fresh lavender
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper

Vegetables
1 medium eggplant, sliced into ½-inch thick circles
2 green zucchini, sliced on the bias in ½-inch pieces
1 yellow or red pepper (paprika) cut in half.
1 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
salt & pepper

Directions
Herb de Provence Grilling Rub

Purée onion, herbs, oil, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper in a food processor. Chill until ready to use.

Vegetables
Preheat barbeque grill to medium high heat.
Grill paprika (yellow pepper) eggplant and zucchini slices for just 3 minutes on either side, then remove to a large dish. (Dont add any oil or spices before grilling) Cut the cooked yellow pepper into strips after it is roasted.

Now toss vegetables with Herb de Provence Rub, as well as with minced garlic.

Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F
Brush an 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil and arrange eggplant, zucchini and tomato slices in a circular fashion, overlapping each other closely, inserting basil leaves and paprika strips occasionally between the slices. Season lightly and place a circle of parchment paper directly over the tian. (This helps seal in the juices)

Bake or grill roast the tian for about 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender, and most of the liquid from the tomatoes has been absorbed. Let tian sit for at least 15 minutes, before serving.
Tian can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.

Note that you can cut down the olive oil if desired. This makes a big pot... enough for 3-4 meals, so enjoy hot now, then pack for a cold lunch the next day. Because this uses 2 limited foods (eggplant and tomato) you most likely want to share this. (Or layer one side with all veggies and one side with just the zucchini, paprika, & basil so you can have an unrestricted portion to eat guilt free later.

Link to Anna Olson's orignial recipe and video "how to" http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Si...l?dishid=10965

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-25-2011 at 07:36 AM.