Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Default FinnSteven Picture Weight Loss Update

For those interested, here are Before/After pix at my 50lb loss milestone.

(yes, that's Kelly Clarkson and not my wife. Its one of few close face pix at my heaviest...now I regret now taking more Before pix!) I still have quite a long way to go before the Wii Fit wont scream I am Obese, but thought you'd enjoy seeing the progress!

"because it works!"
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #122  

Default HOLIDAY HOT TODDIES Hot Drink Ideas to Shake Up Your Packets

HOLIDAY HOT TODDIES (IP Drinks/ IP Puddings):
Warm/hot drinks have been proven to greatly help in suppressing appetite. What better way to fight the cravings than diving into mutliple mugs of blissfully toasty warm drinks? Here are a few ideas to dive deeper than just Hot Cocoa. Use more water than specified in the directions on the packets... you wont lose any taste and will increase your portions without increasing carbs.

And did you know that the IP Pudding packets have a lot fewer carbs than the chocolate drink packets?

Ingredients:
1 Packet IP Drink or Pudding
Water (up to 2 cups / 5 dl / 16oz to taste)
Optional: 1 packet Truvia, Splenda, or other sugar substitute
Spices as listed

Directions:
1. Mix IP Drink or IP Pudding with up to 2 cups of cold water. Blend until no lumps. (I use a blender)
2. Add in Spices (see below) and mix
3. Pour a portion into a microwave safe mug (3/4 full) and heat.

NOTE! Heating may cause the liquid to overflow, so watch carefully, or use a different larger container to heat the liquid and then pour it into your mug.

With the extra water, this makes 3-4 mugs of delicious hot drinks. Heat one drink and save the rest to re-heat and enjoy over the space of a few hours. Really great to bring to work to microwave to get you through the day. All the below suggestions use up to 2 cups water.

NOTE 1:
You can substitue herbal tea or coffee for the water in any of these. For example, using Peppermint tea and vanilla IP Pudding makes a really subtle Hot Vanilla Candy Cane if you dont want to add peppermint extract. Adding Bengal Spice Tea or Coffee to the Butter Rum recipe makes it a Caramel Chai/ Caramel Coffee. Use your imagination.

Suggestions:
1. PULLA (Finnish Sweet Buns)

IP Vanilla Pudding
1 tsp or more Cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract OR Vanilla seeds from Pod (I use Vanilla seeds and stir the drink with the pod to infuse with more vanilla flavor)
1/2 - 1 tsp cardamom

2. BUTTER RUM
IP Butterscotch Pudding
1 packet Truvia or other sweetener
1/2-1 tsp Rum extract
Optional: Dash of cinnamon

3. GINGERBREAD
IP Chocoalte Drink/ IP Chocolate Pudding/ or IP Vanilla Pudding
1/2 - 1 tsp Gingerbread Spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice. Optional: orange peel)

4. PUMPKIN PIE
IP Vanilla Pudding (can also use IP Chocoalate Drink/ IP Chocolate Pudding)
1/2 TB or more Da Vinci/ Torani Sugar-Free Pumpkin Pie Syrup (The Torani version also has a hint of pumpkin flavor in it which is great)
You can also use Pumpkin Pie spice, but its almost identical to Gingerbread spice above.
Optional: 1 packet Truvia or other sweetener (The syrup doesnt need it. The spice alone does)

5. CANDY CANE
IP Chocolate Drink/ IP Chocolate Pudding / or IP Vanilla Pudding
1/2 - 1 tsp Peppermint extract

6. MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
IP Chocolate Drink/ IP Chocolate Pudding
1 tsp or more cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 tsp hot chili (I use indian chili powder)
Optional: Nutmeg or cardemom
(I don't use sweetener on this to keep the chocolate a bit bitter)

7. NUTELLA
IP Chocolate Drink / IP Chocolate Pudding
1 tsp or more Da Vinci / Torani Sugar-Free Hazelnut Syrup
or
1 tsp Almond or Hazelnut extract

8. BOUNTY (Chocolate Coconut)
IP Chocolate Drink/ IP Chocolate Pudding
1 tsp or more Sugar-Free Coconut Syrup

9. CHRISTMAS ORANGE
IP Chocolate Drink / IP Chocolate Pudding
1 tsp Orange extract (or 1-2 drops Valencia Orange Stevia liquid)

10. LEMON POPPY SEED

IP Lemon Pudding
1 tsp Poppy Seeds
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cinnamon

There are tons of fantastic sugar-free syrups available which are allowed on Ideal Protein. (Finnish friends, try getting them from Robert's Coffee in Sello)

Or order online from Netrition:
Torani Brand:
http://www4.netrition.com/torani_sf_syrup.html

Da Vinci Brand:
http://www4.netrition.com/davinci_syrups_page.html

NOTE 2:
The picture is topped with 2 beaten egg whites, 1/8 tsp cream of tartar, 1 packet Truvia sweetener, and some Vanilla seeds from a fresh pod. The drinks are really rich and dont need the extra topping, but it does give it a festive look and a bit of a marshmallow vibe. You might also try baking the stiff whites into a merange to add to the drinks, but I havent tried it and the lack of real sugar might prevent it from setting.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 10-10-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #123  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Steven..Great pictures. You are looking good at 54 pounds thinner. Love your holiday ideas for a hot drink. Makes me feel festive and part of the celebrations, Yes..the puddings are nice at lower carbs..except for the Dark Chocolate which has 7. Thanks so much.

Do you know if it is true that Americans can attend college in Finland for free? Can they go to graduate school?
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #124  
Start WW 360 Jan 31, 2013

S/C/G: (H255.5)s208.4/c198.2/g175

Height: 5' 5"

FinnSteven,Great pictures of you. Your 54 pounds lighter definitely shows in these pictures,Congratulations!! IP is a great program, my only complaint is that I wish I had found it years ago, but am happy to have found it now. I would also like to tell you that I appreciate you giving us all your recipes and look forward to seeing and trying the new ones as you add them.Thank you for sharing. I definitely would be buying your cookbook if you put 1 out.
grannyto2bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Woohoo!!! YOU, sir, look great! Can't wait to try the "nutella" drink, I need to get me some of these sugarfree syrups. Thanks for taking the time to experiment with IP foods and different recipes.
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #126  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Wow Steven...You DO look great! I always love to read your posts. I would definitely be a customer if you put out a cookbook!!

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 182/142/142

Height: 5'4.5"

Wow! What a change... and getting better! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your recipes, "food staging" for great photos, and your upbeat attitude. Congrats on your weight loss and thank you for sharing your mission to make this program anything but boring!

Sally
samyswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Great progress!

Thanks again for the recipes. I will try those holiday drinks soon enough as it is finally getting a little chilly here!

btw good luck on your upcoming trips.
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 160/IP 155/146/118

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSteven View Post
For those interested, here are Before/After pix at my 50lb loss milestone.

(yes, that's Kelly Clarkson and not my wife. Its one of few close face pix at my heaviest...now I regret now taking more Before pix!) I still have quite a long way to go before the Wii Fit wont scream I am Obese, but thought you'd enjoy seeing the progress!

"because it works!"
I am so impressed with your weight loss, your pictures, your commitment to the program and your incredible creativity! I am totally lost in the kitchen and am definitely challenged when it comes to cooking, but am beginning to rethink my stance and try some of your recipes. You make everything look sooooooooo good. Thank you for helping make this weight loss journey fun!
Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!

janedocmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #130  

Default Chicken "Pasta" Primavera

Thank you to all the kind words of encouragement! Much appreciated.

And the recipes continue...

CHICKEN "PASTA" PRIMAVERA:
This meal takes a little bit of preparation, but makes a great meal that my whole family enjoyed. The "pasta" is thinly sliced zucchini with an altered pesto.

Ingredients:
For the "Pasta":
1 large firm zucchini
Chicken breasts (cooked with sea salt, ground pepper & thyme)
Broccoli (I used 1/2 small bag of frozen. Fresh is also fine.)
Large tomato (cut into pieces)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 tsp olive oil
OPTIONAL: Mushrooms (1 small can, drained. Or about 1/4 cup fresh chopped)

Directions:
1. Cut the zucchini into spaghetti-like strips (will be a little thick. the important thing is to create long pasta-like pieces.)
2. Chop the tomatoes and onions and set aside.
3. Glaze the chicken breast(s) with olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt, ground black pepper (or 5 pepper mix), and a generous heaping of dried Thyme (I use about 1 TB...you can use less). Cook chicken in pan sprayed with non-stick Spray. Remove from pan when done.
4. Boil a pot of water with 1 TB sea salt or 1 cube of low-fat chicken boullion (you will not be using the water later, so some say the cube is a waste. I like the flavor it gives)
5. When cool enough to cut, chop chicken into small pieces.
6. When boiling, add zucchini strips and broccoli. If using fresh broccoli, add it just a little later than the zucchini if you want it crisp.
UPDATE NOTE: Be careful not to boil the zucchini too long or it will turn to mush. Cook enough to soften, but not so long that it is a quivering blob of jelly.

7. In the other pan, spray with non-stick spray like PAM and add chopped tomatoes. (and Mushrooms if you are using. About 1 minute before taking from heat, add the onions being sure they are heated, but not carmelized.
8. Drain the zucchini and broccoli and add to the pan after adding the onions. Add chopped chicken.
9. Add 1/2 -1 TB pesto (recipe below) or other dressing of your choice.

For the "Basil Dressing/ Pesto":
2 cups firmly packed fresh basil (About 2-3 large handfuls of leaves)
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (use more oil if you like you’re a less dense pesto)
OPTIONAL FOR PHASE 2-4: 1/8 cup walnuts
OPTIONAL FOR PHASE 2-4: 1/8 cup cashews or pecans
OPTIONAL FOR PHASE 2-4: 2 TP Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1.Pack food processor with basil and pulse until leaves are cut down into small pieces.
2.Add garlic, salt, pepper and about 1/4 cup olive oil. Process until mixture has a fine consistency.

This will give you a basil dressing that is very flavorful, but will not be pesto consistency. I will also sometimes add in some fresh lettuce and a tiny pinch of sweetener to round out the flavor.

If you are on Phase 2-4, continue with the next steps:

3.Stop processor and add nuts, cheese then continue processing until finely grained and well mixed. If the mixture becomes too thick to mix, add more olive oil. You can also add more olive oil if you like
4.Pesto will keep for about two weeks in the refrigerator, as long as the surface is covered with plastic wrap. It can be frozen for 6-8 months.

NOTE that I do not use pine nuts. They are usually ridiculously expensive and the mix of walnut & cashew (and/or pecan) really gives a great flavor.

ALTERNATE DRESSING:
I have also used a sweet and sour tomato basil mix which is also lovely.

2 cups firmly packed fresh basil (About 2-3 large handfuls of leaves)
1 large clove garlic, chopped (or 1/2 - 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 large tomato (chopped)
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (use more oil if you like you’re a less dense pesto)
Sea Salt, Crushed Black Pepper

Blend everything in the food processor.
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste

Last edited by FinnSteven; 10-20-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #131  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Great progress photos! I miss nutella so much! I will definitely be getting the stuff to make the nutella drink. You look great and so do the new recipes!
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #132  

Default Cole Slaw

COLE SLAW:
Cole slaw is both a great between-meal snack food as well as a perfect compliment to your meats. Here is a version that I enjoy often.

Ingredients:
1 oz (30 ml) milk (from your morning tea/ coffee allowance)
1-2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2-1 tsp horseradish (I use from a tube, but you can shred your own)
1-2 tsp total of various herbs (I use basil, thyme, oregano, marjorum, and mint)
sea salt & crushed black pepper
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded (I chop into small pieces)
2 TB Minced raw onion (to taste. I chop 1/2 a red onion)
Other vegetables of your choice if desired (I use 1/2 chopped yellow bell pepper, some radishes, and celery.)

Directions:
1. In a cup, add milk, vinegar, lemon juice and sweetener. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add horseradish, herbs, salt & pepper and stir. Taste. Add additional spices, milk or another sweetener packet if needed, but this balance given should be fine.
3. Mix together cabbage and other vegetables you are using.
4. Add liquid and stir.
5. Tastes best if left a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Can be taken with you to work in a container.

Note: You can also add Walden Farms 0/0/0 Mayonaise to this. I do not because it is nasty devil spit.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #133  
cmcy2000

S/C/G: 158/125/117

Height: 5'1"

I have tried all of your recipes and they are all awsome...baked turnips and rutabagas have become a standard with me now...never thought I would be going to the grocery store just to buy a turnip! and looking forward to it!!! Yum...keep posting your ideas are great!
gettinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

All of these latest recipes look fantastic, I can't wait to try the "pasta" and the slaw.
Speaking of fantastic you look wonderful in your "after" pictures. Just tell the wii to hush up, it doesn't know what it's talking about.

I had a big laugh over your boys cooking, they were having a great time, but who gets to clean up after?
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #135  

Thanks Patns and Gettinglean! Here's another recipe that was just perfect for a brisk fall day.

STUFFED CHILI BELL PEPPERS (IP Chili): This made so much that I shared the meal with my wife (who loved it) and we both were full afterwards. Warm, comforting hearty food!

Ingredients:
2 tsps Olive Oil
1.5 cups vegetables (chopped celery, mushrooms, green bell peppers, cauliflower, jalepenos)
1/4 - 1/2 chopped raw red onion
1 packet Ideal Protein Vegetable Chili
6oz (150ml) water
Sea salt, black pepper (additional seasonings to your taste)
1- 2 large green peppers

Directions:
1. Make 1P Chili according to packet instructions. (Boil 6oz/150ml water. Add chili and cook)
2. In a pan, add olive oil and cook all vegetables (except onions) until desired consistency. (Al dente is best... not to soft)
3. When both chili and vegetables are cooked, mix together. Add in raw onions.
4. Taste and add other spices to your liking. (tabasco, dried onion, paprika, garlic, cilandtro, lemon peel, oregano...)
5. Cut bell pepper(s) in half and cut off the stem.
6. On a baking sheet (with baking paper) lay out the halved peppers and fill with the chili. (If you have more chili than will fit, cut another pepper in half and add the remainer.)
7. Cook at 350F (175C) for about 25 minutes.
8. I sprinkle with fresh herbs (basil, cilantro and lavender), but thats optional.

Note that Peppers do have carbs in them (and yellow/red have a few more than green), so although you could eat 2 whole peppers (4 halves) for one meal, you probably want to only eat 1 (2 halves) for one meal and save the rest for another meal to count towards the additional 2 cups veggies for the day.

This is very filling and satisfying and heats up well for another meal if there are leftovers. Also remember that IP Chili is a restricted product, so be aware of the other IP products you enjoy the rest of the day that you do not take another restricted product the same day.