Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #76  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
My goal is to weigh what my driver's license says I am. Lol.
too funny me too, mine is in metric so I have no idea what it means but I do want to weigh it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanmly View Post
Just got back from WI#2 and I lost another 5lbs For a 2 week total of 16 lbs!
that is so awesome keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterstep16 View Post
Hello fellow Iper's (Yay I Have a Home)

It is so frustrating with all the negativity, people close to me cannot understand why "I am starving myself" (pretty full if you ask me) Oh well enough of them!

So I am on wrapping up day 5 of my first time on IP, I have my first weigh in tomorrow and am kind of nervous and refuse to step on a scale until I am there. So I do have a question my coach (if you can call him that) took my money and handed me a whole lot of papers to read on my own and a bag full of products to try....now as I have been reading the threads I realize most of the products that i actually liked and have been eating are restricted (go figure). It just so happens that I have only ended up having one restricted item per day thank goodness but now I am kind of hooked and worried because you all say not to eat those my first few weeks. Why would they be in my sample bag then? grrr quite upset!

Since tomorrow is when I have to go in and pick up packets should i just not get any of those restricted ones so no temptation or have I already messed up by eating them so early into program. Has anyone had good success on IP eating one restricted a day? if yes it may be worth it for me to keep it up as it feels like my little treat and helps me stray away from cheating!

Sorry for such a long post and rant but trying to get started the right way.
I do have a small victory as today is the first time I went the whole day without feeling sick, I actually have a lot of energy! Yayyyyy
I got a bag to try too but they had them in individual lunch bags , with breakfast, soups, puddings, drinks and restricted. Then when I read the sheet I thought the same thing why would they give me these.. so the next week I asked and they did tell me 1 a day is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterstep16 View Post
Thanks guys I feel a lot better now I did not want it to mess up my weigh In i will be sure to post how it goes!
some times you just need a chocolate soy puff, I had the chili for the first time last week and I really loved it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #77  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Default let us eat lettuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteandcute View Post
Lettuce is unlimited, but I am not aware that you have to eat a certain amount each day. The lettuce serves several purposes. I ate lettuce, but I was not concerned with a certain amount. I did eat 4 cups of veg. daily.
thanks for clearing that up, I saw that and went what I have to eat 4 cups of lettuce as well... I can't most days get my snack pack down...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #78  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh321pa View Post
My plan sheet lists "Soya" as a select vegetable. When I google "Soya" I get whole lists of soybeans. It was from this forum that I read about the black soybeans as I had never heard of them.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but my plan sheet does not list "soya" at all. I realize there are some variations in various areas of IP. Have a great evening.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 248/239/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
My plan sheet lists "Soya" as a select vegetable. When I google "Soya" I get whole lists of soybeans. It was from this forum that I read about the black soybeans as I had never heard of them.
Thanks. I was looking at a sheet that I downloaded off this site. I just went back and looked at the original sheet I got at my clinic and sure enough it has soya listed. I knew I had seen it somewhere!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #80  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteandcute View Post
The answer is simple: You can't or shouldn't try to count a food in to the protocol that is not listed on the protocol. Black soybeans are not a select veg., not an occasional veg. and not a protein. Believe me, if any bean other green beans had been on the protocol I would have eaten them over the last 9 months. The first time I ate pinto beans on phase 4 I treasured every bite. Didn't mean to burst your bubble. You are welcome to do what you want.
I notice you started IP in the summer last year. Before that the SOYA (black soy and edamame) was on the protocol sheets. There was so much confusion by coaches who had no clue what soya was and that fact that people were over using the green soya (edamame) that it was removed from the sheets in July of last year and left to the discretion of coaches. Some coaches are still giving out the older sheets and friends are copying/sharing those older sheets too. They were originally incorporated as a very protein packed vegetarian food source. I believe you still see them on the vegetarian protocol.

Green Beans have always been an occasional use food on my sheet as have been soy beans. I ate green beans about once a month. I ate black soy beans every week and still lost 3 to 4 pounds a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Anyone know how to count the black soybeans on the IP plan? I bought some today but not sure how they measure in.

Thanks!
Quote:
I use a measuring cup and consider them part of my 2 cup per meal limit. I only use 1/2 cup of them in the vegetarian chili. I can get three 1/2 cup servings out of a can of black soybeans so I put the other 2 servings in the freezer to use another time. I only have the chili once per week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd447 View Post
I also would like to know. I bought some and then realized that I didn't know how to figure them in as they aren't listed on the plan sheet that I have. Are they used as occasional veggies, regular veggies, protein???
Thanks!

The Black Soy Beans, per 1/2 cup, have 11g protein, 8g carb total/7g fiber/ 1g carb NET (this is the number that matters to keep you in ketosis), 6g of fat.

Because they are higher in fat than many of our vegetables and higher in carbs/fiber than many veggies, I tend to treat them as an occasional item. They have the same overall carb value as turnips and a large portion of asparagus, 1cup of brocoli/cauliflower or cooked spinach, and they are higher in fiber than all of those. Because of that, some people have got away using them as regular use veggies. They are much lower in carbs than the rutabaga we are occasionally allowed at 2 cups per week (20 carbs per cup and only 6 fiber per cup!!)

I used 1/2 cup per meal and made my other veggies stay in the 1 to 1/2 cup range. RARELY, I would use a full cup.

I did use them to bulk up the IP chili or to make my own chili con carne with "faux black beans".

This item is tricky for many people. It never had a guideline, part of why it was confusing, and it was a non restricted veggie. I would say, using them sparingly because they are very nutrient dense and start slowly to see how your body responds.

I hope that helps in some way. They were my favorite food and, given I was never allowed occasional veggies for 6 months, I loved every bite of those black soy beans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawndragon View Post
W12 WI minus three more pounds for a total or 41!! Only 9 lbs away from my first goal of 50 pounds!!!! My waist is out of the 40's range and 39" today! My hips out of the 50's at 49". I fit in a size 18 from a 24. I am soooo happy.

All you newbies, welcome and stick to the program and you WILL lose. Have a great week everyone!!
WOOO HOOOO!!! Look at you go!! I am so proud of you! Only 9 pounds! You'll be in phase 3 in now time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manysizes View Post
Thanks so much for that! I have actually eaten more vegetables this week than I usually do in months! The Molly McButter just makes them a little easier to swallow sometimes. I didn't know the greens were mandatory. It's not in the Phase 1 protocol sheet I got. If I have to have it, then I guess I will make the best of it. The natural cold cuts I found through Maple Leaf will help alot I think. I think I'm going to sautee a bunch of spinach with my butter flavoured olive oil and then use some Molly McButter on them with some chicken coldcuts and red onion. By the way, why can't we eat cooked onions?
Be cautious with how much spinach you cook, make sure you measure it off before cooking. If you try to measure it after cooking you could end up with the equivalent of about 6 raw cups which is much to much.

No fried or cooked onion because cooking onion breaks down fiber and releases sugar to our body too quickly.

You may lightly saute, steam, boil, bake, etc. Just do not cook onion too long and definitely no fried or carmelized onion.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 03-07-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #81  

Height: 5'2"

Good Evening Everyone...just wanted to share my first NSV!

So far the grocery store has been somewhat painless. I make a beeline for the produce, keep my eyes on the veggies and then do a quick swoop through the meat section. When I have everything I need I head down the "cleaning product" isle and through the cash - easy right?

It was until DH reminded me that the kids need to eat - CRAP! So today was my first full grocery trip and I was dreading it all day. (Now in all fairness to DH, he did offer to go but I know I'd never be able to make dinner much less school lunches with what he would come home with!)

I mustered up the courage and headed out the door - 1/2 way there I realized I forgot my water bottle. I have no idea how I did that, that thing has been in my hand for 10 days now!

By the time I got to the grocery store I could barely peel my tounge off the roof of my mouth - funny how much we need all that water! I passed the cooler and grabbed 2 nice sweaty bottles of ice cold H2O. As I waited in line at the checkout, my cart loaded with all those things I used to love, the only thing I CRAVED in the cart, was my water
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 178/178/135

Height: Started IP 3/2/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralchick View Post

So far the grocery store has been somewhat painless. I make a beeline for the produce, keep my eyes on the veggies and then do a quick swoop through the meat section. When I have everything I need I head down the "cleaning product" isle and through the cash - easy right?

It was until DH reminded me that the kids need to eat - CRAP! So today was my first full grocery trip and I was dreading it all day. (Now in all fairness to DH, he did offer to go but I know I'd never be able to make dinner much less school lunches with what he would come home with!)

I mustered up the courage and headed out the door - 1/2 way there I realized I forgot my water bottle. I have no idea how I did that, that thing has been in my hand for 10 days now!

By the time I got to the grocery store I could barely peel my tounge off the roof of my mouth - funny how much we need all that water! I passed the cooler and grabbed 2 nice sweaty bottles of ice cold H2O. As I waited in line at the checkout, my cart loaded with all those things I used to love, the only thing I CRAVED in the cart, was my water
Wow that is awesome!!!! Yay you! I did the same thing just yesterday I was definitely not as strong as you it felt like everywhere i turned someone was offering some sample type that I could smell everything as I shopped. I used to be a very leisure supermarket shopper aisle by aisle, yesterday you would have thought I was on an episode of supermarket sweep as fast as I got out of there! Good Job I hope to get to that point one day (soon)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #83  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I notice you started IP in the summer last year. Before that the SOYA (black soy and edamame) was on the protocol sheets. There was so much confusion by coaches who had no clue what soya was and that fact that people were over using the green soya (edamame) that it was removed from the sheets in July of last year and left to the discretion of coaches...
Thanks for sharing this. I swear I saw a sheet with green pepper (cooked) floating around on the boards. Mine does not say cooked. When I asked my coach about red/yellow peppers and why they were occasional but green weren't, she said "Good question. They just changed that. You can have all colors of peppers." Keep in mind I started less than 2 weeks ago. I guess the program is always evolving.

I am going Friday and will see if she has the updated sheet. I've heard others say to stay within 25 carbs total and not look at neb carbs until Phase 4. I was worried about peppers and zucchini for that reason because the carbs can add up. Thoughts? I really like the red/yellow peppers if for no other reason than they aren't green!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralchick View Post

Awesome job with the NSV!! You have this in the bag! I would take cut up veggies with me to the store so, if I got to feeling munchies or cravings, I could nibble something from my bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I swear I saw a sheet with green pepper (cooked) floating around on the boards. Mine does not say cooked. When I asked my coach about red/yellow peppers and why they were occasional but green weren't, she said "Good question. They just changed that. You can have all colors of peppers." Keep in mind I started less than 2 weeks ago. I guess the program is always evolving.

I am going Friday and will see if she has the updated sheet. I've heard others say to stay within 25 carbs total and not look at neb carbs until Phase 4. I was worried about peppers and zucchini for that reason because the carbs can add up. Thoughts? I really like the red/yellow peppers if for no other reason than they aren't green!
Yes, in late 2009 the sheets were allowing raw green pepper and green cabbage. Then they went to cooked green pepper in 2010 and no green cabbage. Now you can have any "pepper, any color," any time and any color of cabbage any time too.

Also, the sheet says no "squash" but it means winter squash. Yellow zuchini squash, regular green zuchini squash, summer squash, and yellow crooked neck squash are all just about the same in glycemic index, nutritional level and nutrient make up. You can have all of those. Just things like spaghetti squash (allowed by some as occasional) and the hard winter squashes (butternut, acorn, etc. NOT ALLOWED) are questionable and not usually allowed.

I believe in using the colored foods where we can. We get our nutrition in the spectrum of colors we eat. Having yellow, orange, red, purple, green, white, brown are all important in my book. It means we are getting all of our vitamins and nutrients. The vitamin c in those peppers (317% of the rda in 1 cup of red pepper) could be VERY helpful to some of those on this diet. It does come with 9g carbs per cup, so use less, you will still be getting a healthy portion of vitamin c.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 03-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 226/226/160

Height: 5'8

Default Congratulations you guys! You are inspiring!!

I have been off skulking, too embarassed to come back. I cheated and then ended up in the self-pitying death spiral of rationalizations and now it has been three weeks! I just thought I would read a couple of your posts to see how everyone is doing. I am so proud of you being able to stick with it! I have done it in the past; I did it for five months and loved the results, but I am not sure why it has been so difficult this time around.

Has anyone with hypoglycemia had trouble with this diet?

Anyway, spring break is next week and it seemed stupid to try to get back on protocol the week before we would be traveling, so I put it off. I am just trying to be moderate with portions and working out every day for now. The Monday after I get back from San Fran (March 21st) it will be back OP and NO EXCUSES!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #86  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30flirtyandthriving View Post
I have been off skulking, too embarassed to come back. I cheated and then ended up in the self-pitying death spiral of rationalizations and now it has been three weeks! I just thought I would read a couple of your posts to see how everyone is doing. I am so proud of you being able to stick with it! I have done it in the past; I did it for five months and loved the results, but I am not sure why it has been so difficult this time around.

Anyway, spring break is next week and it seemed stupid to try to get back on protocol the week before we would be traveling, so I put it off. I am just trying to be moderate with portions and working out every day for now. The Monday after I get back from San Fran (March 21st) it will be back OP and NO EXCUSES!
Hey There!! Welcome Back..

Jump right in, don't worry, we all lapse or relapse at some point, discipline and control come through recommitting and getting back on plan.

I think it can be harder because that new, OMG I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS, crazy energy (kind of like the first few months you're in love feeling) has dissipated and now, it is just you and your will. See if you can find a reason to create that energy! You were trying to get baby ready... maybe refocus your thoughts for why onto that??

As for Hypoglycemia, YES.. OH YES... I had it bad before the diet, had it during the diet if I didn't get enough protein or carbs, and went right back to it on my break. If I exercise it is bad!

I found that I needed the omelette in the morning. I really needed a mango or pineapple drink at lunch and sometimes the whites of a hard boiled egg as an afternoon snack. I had to have a pudding for dessert. It was really important for me to keep my protein levels high and steady.

IP recommends keeping orange, mango, or pineapple drinks handy if you have low blood sugar. They are high in protein and carbs and level out blood sugar pretty quickly.

Try having an extra packet the first 3 days as you try to get back on plan, it might help!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #87  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30flirtyandthriving View Post

Don't feel embarassed, it happens. Good for you for getting back on it though! I had hypoglycemia for the first few days getting shakey and light headed when I was too hungry. I just pushed through it and I'm fine. If I get light headed I do the "Salt shooter" put a shake of salt on your hand, lick it and chug water.
Be careful working out when you are on IP at first. That doesn't help with hypoglycemia either. Good luck, you can do it!!

Carla, I want to sneak a peak in your bag. I got the "pill bags" for my salt, a lot better than pulling out my old cinnamon container with sea salt in it instead. I'm still learning! I wish veggi's would have a better shelf life so I could keep those around for emergencies!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 182/182/125

Height: 5'3

Had WI #3 today! I was down 3.4 lbs and 3.5 inches, for a 3 week total of 10.4 lbs and 10.75 inches. I'm so happy and love this program. Here's to losing the next 50 lbs. Can't wait until I can get a ticker. lol
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 152/132/120

Height: 5'2"

quick NSV for the weekend--- had fun shopping!! great for my mood- not so great for my wallet.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 185.6/148/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
When I got this last license I was lying by at least 35 lbs. The clerk and I stared at each other for about 10 seconds but he didn't say a word. God bless him. I remember him fondly. Lying about 7.5 lbs which will be gone by the time you go to Canada is nothing.
I wonder if the employees sit around at lunch or an afterwork gathering and talk about all the lies they heard that week

I can't think of anything else we lie about more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chick View Post
Seriously. 7.5 pounds isn't lying-- it is a 'rounding error'.
Holly crap that was funny!!! Thanks for the laugh!!
Closed Thread