Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/236/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Starting Friday - getting nervous!

Hi Everyone,
I’m going in for my IP consultation on Friday and plan to start eating on plan Monday. I’m beginning to get really nervous though! I’ve been lurking on this board for the last week, just to get a feel for how everyone manages. You all seem to love it, which is encouraging, but it just seems like such a huge dietary change for me! We normally eat really healthy for main meals, my problem is the binge dessert eating. I usually have to have some sugar/dessert item every day. I’ve tried lots of different diets, but have never tried a low/no carb diet. I’ve never really believed in them because they seem so unbalanced, but IP does make sense. I’ve yo-yo’d from 190# - 140# then back up to 230#, which is where I am at now. I have to get this weight off, I am just so miserable and depressed because of it!

The main thing I am getting nervous about is cooking for my family and cooking for myself. How do you manage this? Do you cook a complete separate meal for yourself? Do you try to pull elements and just change a few things for yourself? I’ve got 2 little boys (4 & 7) and a husband to feed so I will still have to cook them well balanced, complete meals every days.
Any support would be really appreciated!
Thanks,
Becky
dancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancie View Post
Hi Everyone,
I’m going in for my IP consultation on Friday and plan to start eating on plan Monday. I’m beginning to get really nervous though! I’ve been lurking on this board for the last week, just to get a feel for how everyone manages. You all seem to love it, which is encouraging, but it just seems like such a huge dietary change for me! We normally eat really healthy for main meals, my problem is the binge dessert eating. I usually have to have some sugar/dessert item every day. I’ve tried lots of different diets, but have never tried a low/no carb diet. I’ve never really believed in them because they seem so unbalanced, but IP does make sense. I’ve yo-yo’d from 190# - 140# then back up to 230#, which is where I am at now. I have to get this weight off, I am just so miserable and depressed because of it!

The main thing I am getting nervous about is cooking for my family and cooking for myself. How do you manage this? Do you cook a complete separate meal for yourself? Do you try to pull elements and just change a few things for yourself? I’ve got 2 little boys (4 & 7) and a husband to feed so I will still have to cook them well balanced, complete meals every days.
Thanks,
Becky
Hi Becky, and WELCOME. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, PLEASE read liberally. All the answers to you questions of in the forum and some you probably haven't thought to ask.

If your family is used to eating really healthy meal, there's absolutely no reason they can't eat the same dinner as you do. And, and this is a big and, if this is your problem -- "my problem is the binge dessert eating. I usually have to have some sugar/dessert item every day" then you don't have a problem if you get your head around this program. Very quickly you will loose your physical cravings. If you get your head in control, you'll dance through the program.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Becky
I just have a husband to feed and things tend to go one of three ways. I either cook a meat and veggies, salad and add some type of grain or starch for him. (taco salad for me, tacos for him. burger in a bowl for me, hamburgers for him. steak and asparagus for me, steak, asparagus and potatoes for him) ooooorrr if I'm feeling lazy I'll order something in for him, or he has to fend for himself
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #4  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Becky
Welcome to the program -- I am rather new here and did struggle a bit with the whole feeding the family thing - It is actually easier then I thought - we all eat the same dinner with a few modifications (there are certain veggies we cannot eat, and others we can only eat occasionally). No one seems to notice. I eat more salad then they do (but that has always been the case). For dessert I usually do one of the sweeter desserts - I make Chai inspired ice cream (I posted this recipe on the fun with packets thread) and eat that right before bed (after I have cleaned up the kitchen etc) - this seems to quell my night time sweet tooth - as for breakfast they all eat their normal breakfast and I either eat the omelette or froth up one of my other drinks and add it to coffee (like a latte either warm or cold) - lunch I make my own and feed them theirs - it really isn't bad at all.

Hope this helps -- as I have told many in this group - I used to be a professional chef so I find the culinary challenge of this program fun - and if you have any food/program type questions definitely post them. This group is very very supportive, kind and full of great ideas. Good luck to you!!!!!!
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Dancie, you sound just like me. My mtg is Fri and starting on Mon! I am really nervous too! I think the cooking for me/family is what has me hung up too. We can do it, right?!!!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #6  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

Cook for him....then add a starch! Bretly said it....you get a burger without the bun, you get turnip fries, he gets potatoes and the bun! Simple! Feed them what you eat, don't make yourself cook separate meals for everyone! Just modify it to fit you!
wyoangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/236/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone. I'll keep digging through all the old threads for your good ideas!
@serendipity - it will be good to have someone starting the journey at the same time! None of my friends or family have ever heard of IP, so I'll probably be on here for support from people who are going through the same things and to get lots of ideas. Let's check in on eachother next week to see how we are doing!
dancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #8  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

I agree with everyone else's ideas and comments.

I think you will do really well on this program, since you seem to be the type who likes to plan ahead, and asks good questions.

One thought I would add, re: the issues of desserts--here is the tough love part:
I would strongly recommend this be the one place you make a change for your family as well as yourself. Get all sugar-filled items out of the house before Monday.

I say this for 2 reasons:
1. If this is your "trigger" you need to remove that temptation for yourself until you get through your craving period, burn the carbs out of your body, and develop some new eating habits; and
2. If your kids are eating these things you are not doing them any favor by setting them up for developing insulin resistance, obesity, and a sugar addiction in their adult lives.

Sugar/desserts should be an occasional treat. They don't need to be in your house on a regular basis. If you want a treat, buy enough for that one meal. Or even better, you can all bike down to the ice cream store together, and eat one scoop there.

I am speaking from experience...I was also really hooked on sugar. I have put this new protocol in place in our house and it has made my life much more simple and enjoyable. I am in Phase 4--have been since August--and I still do not bring home any food with sugar (ketchup, ice cream, cookies, cereal, etc.) and we are all much happier and calmer for it! Since you want IP to be successful for the rest of your life, you will need to make some permanent changes in your lifestyle--you cannot ever go back to eating sugar like you used to or you will gain it all back.

So I urge you to use this opportunity to make the change, and use the time you are in Phase 1, 2 and 3 to find other "treats" that work for you and your family. (See the rewards threads and start thinking about a mani/pedi!)

ok, soap box done now. Good luck on the journey that will be the best thing you ever do for yourself!
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #9  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

I'm on day five of the IP program, so far so good. A couple nights my family had exactly what I had plus they added a starch. We had grilled chicken and stemed veggies. Last night I made a stir fry with beef tenderloin, bac choy and lettuce, we all loved it they just ate it over rice and I didn't. One thing that was easier for me the first few days is that I grilled up 3-4 chicken breast so if I came home and made hamburger helper for the family my meal was pretty much ready to go. I just had to reheat and grab some salad fixins. Good luck!
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #10  
Kathy

Oh and the cravings for the sweets/carbs does go away it's the habits/rituals that I have to fight. The other night my son didn't finish his dinner, normally I would have grabbed his bowl and ate the rest. After the kids went to bed I would usually have some sort of sweet treat. Now I have tea.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #11  
i love weight loss

S/C/G: 370/261.4/180

Height: 5'5

welcome to the program. once you start this diet your first week is going to be hard. but once you get past that first week you no longer have those cravings for the sweets or the salties. at least thats what i have experienced. good luck on your plan.
krisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #12  
Kathy

I've tried two different things that make you feel like you are being bad when your really not. Baked kale and turnip fries. Believe it or not it was pretty good. The baked kale is like a chip fix. I put a cup of kale in a sandwich back put half a tsp of olive oil, massaged the oil over as much of the kale as possible then put it on a cookie sheet, salted, baked at 350 for 15-20 mins. They are crunchy and salty.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaipjourney View Post
I'm on day five of the IP program, so far so good. A couple nights my family had exactly what I had plus they added a starch. We had grilled chicken and stemed veggies. Last night I made a stir fry with beef tenderloin, bac choy and lettuce, we all loved it they just ate it over rice and I didn't. One thing that was easier for me the first few days is that I grilled up 3-4 chicken breast so if I came home and made hamburger helper for the family my meal was pretty much ready to go. I just had to reheat and grab some salad fixins. Good luck!
i use grated cauliflower cooked "al dente" for rice. Just an idea. When i take grated cauliflower places people think it is rice. haha Had a friend ask me "how come you can have rice and not pasta"
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote