Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #556  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
First phase 3 breakfast today....after dreaming about it all night, seriously. It met and exceed expectations. I don't think strawberries have ever tasted so good, and that new greek yogurt, so rich and creamy! I ran with your idea about the parfait, took down my dusty martini glass, washed it last night, and what a sight to behold! I know that there is more to life than phase 3, but I am loving it! I have my next two mornings planned out already, bacon and eggs tomorrow, peanut butter the next day....ahhhhhhh!
Look at you go! Planning things out ahead of time are certainly keys to success and you have that well handled. Enjoy phase III - it is actually too bad it doesn't last longer than 2 weeks.
I am trucking along with Phase IV but am finding it challenging with adding the afternoon carbs esp working around the no fat/carb mix! That and I'm really not sure what carbs I want to have! I am not missing the pasta, potatoes etc.! Time to get creative and change some thinking about old habits and tastes.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #557  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
Look at you go! Planning things out ahead of time are certainly keys to success and you have that well handled. Enjoy phase III - it is actually too bad it doesn't last longer than 2 weeks.
I am trucking along with Phase IV but am finding it challenging with adding the afternoon carbs esp working around the no fat/carb mix! That and I'm really not sure what carbs I want to have! I am not missing the pasta, potatoes etc.! Time to get creative and change some thinking about old habits and tastes.
CBG, thank you so much for chatting with me on this thread. I want to share it with everyone, but it is sooooo different from phases 1 & 2. My second breakfast was wonderful and I need to get out my calculator for tomorrow. I was so full yesterday, I ate lunch late, and dinner later, but for the first time was not "empty". I also slept like a baby. Phase 3 rocks!

I was explaining the diet to someone today, and tried to describe maintenance. She just looked at me funny when I mentioned not to mix carbs and fat at dinner. So many foods have a combination of those two. Keep us posted on your new creativity!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #558  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

I"m so excited to see all the new folks transitioning into 3 and 4, its been pretty lonely here! I've been doing some experimenting with foods and look forward to hearing what you all are doing for meals after phase 1....

here was today's idea: "mock" stroganoff
brown ground beef and onions, stir in a little white wine, remove from heat and stir in some low fat sour cream.
in the meantime, boil a pot of salted water and drop in 2c of broccoli "shreds". Cook until a little tender, drain. Plate the "shreds" with the stroganoff on top.
This was ok, but a little bland....ideas?

and last night...
I made a tomato sauce with meatballs but instead of pasta, I steamed some butternut squash, then mashed with a little olive oil and parmesan cheese. I got this to be kind of a polenta consistency and used it as the base for the red sauce. This was pretty good and will be revisted for further tweaks.

what are your new inventions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrrrl View Post
Okay, I have no idea what the heck I'm supposed to do. Everyone seems to know way more about phase 3 and 4 than me and my coach certainly didn't provide me with enough information. I'm on day one of phase three and I'm just hoping I'm doing it okay.

I can't eat eggs more than once a week because of allergies, so I'm struggling with the breakfast protein. It feels weird to eat the ham as they suggest because it's so high in sodium (or doesn't that matter now?). Would it be okay if I had an IP drink as my protien and added in a carb, fat and fruit?

Also - we are still supposed to avoid sugar, right? I would like to make some whole grain flax muffins and am wondering if a touch of sugar or honey would be okay, or if I should be sticking to splenda.

Is there more information/meal ideas available for phase 3? And don't even get me started on phase 4. I'm so confused!
I still drink an RTD 2-3 times a week for either breakfast or lunch protein. It's easy for me when I am working and I know I'm getting the nutrition I need. re: sugar: I have chosen to keep sugar out of my diet entirely except for a major cheat day--maybe once a month. I am so glad to have kicked that addiction and I just don't want to go there again. I think having sugar, honey or any other sweetener like that on any regular (non-cheat) basis would put me back into an additive cycle--but everyone is different. I'm sticking with splenda and other non-sugar options.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #559  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

I am in Phase IV - part way through my first week. Struggling to add the extra carbs for my evening meal.. I just don't know what to eat, what I feel like eating and still have to wrap my head around the no fats/carb combo. In some ways I would rather not have a baked potato (not craving one anyway) without the lovely fixings on it, not a pasta fan (the miracle noodles are a good stand in if I want some)etc etc...any ideas out there??
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #560  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

Rocky, Thanks for the 'mock' stroganoff idea! I love the broccoli straw, and ate it quite often in phase 1 (didn't even mind picking out the carrots). I never thought about substituting it for pasta! Plus, I love stroganoff! I am definitely going to try that once I hit phase 4. However, I think spaghetti and meatballs will be my first dinner.

I made brownies for my son's soccer banquet last night. It was easy not to have a taste, and even easier to freeze a couple for my upcoming cheat day. Now that the day is not too far away, I am looking forward to that brownie!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #561  

Quote:
I am in Phase IV - part way through my first week. Struggling to add the extra carbs for my evening meal.. I just don't know what to eat, what I feel like eating and still have to wrap my head around the no fats/carb combo. In some ways I would rather not have a baked potato (not craving one anyway) without the lovely fixings on it, not a pasta fan (the miracle noodles are a good stand in if I want some)etc etc...any ideas out there??
I know what you mean about figuring out what to eat for dinner for carbs and the fats/carbs combo. Somehow one day at a time you get it. I gained 5# over the holidays and have had a hard time getting back to get it all off again. I do well and then the weekend hits and I undo my efforts.

I have found that there are just some things I do not have in my house. Snack chips, rice, only sweet potatoes. It makes it easier.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #562  

S/C/G: 254/183/190

Height: 6'3

Hello Everyone! My name is Mike. I'm 24 years old and have been on ideal protein now for a little over 2 months. I have lost about 50 pounds in that time and am looking to lose another 15. I have been lurking through most of the posts on this forum since I started IP and wanted to thank everyone for their contributions. They sure make things a lot easier. I will be nearing the upper phases soon and had a couple questions about maintenance. I have read Tran Tien's book, but still have some lingering questions. I was wondering if anyone on phase 4 could please share with the rest of us some information about their post cheat day no carb day. It would be helpful if you could post what you eat/drink during your post cheat no carb day? Are fats allowed? How much veggies do you consume on the no carb day (4 total cups like phase 1/2)? Also, do you make an entire day production of your cheat day, or just a single meal? Any other information would be much appreciated. I'm sure I will have more questions which come up as I get closer to the later phases, but again I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I'm glad to finally be a posting member of the community.

Last edited by Mike123; 02-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #563  

Congratulations Mike on how far you have came (and in such a short time!) While we are on phase 1 and then 2 & 3, we have such a strict protocol and know what exactly we are supposed to eat. For me that was such a safe place, as I just did what I was told to do. Phase 4 is where the protocol gets much more fuzzy and you have to make some decisions that work for just you. Don't get too worried about exactly how to do it. Lots of us have found success using lots of different paths.

I went to phase 4 in November and then the holidays hit. I have really done okay, but would like to lose about 5#. I usually eat my breakfast and lunch more like phase 3, and dinners Monday through Friday like phase 3 too. On the weekends I eat more carbs mainly for dinner. If I know I have a social time when I will eat, that is my cheat meal. Then on Monday I go back to phase 1 for the day.

I still stay mainly away from sweet carbs, like cake or cookies. I also have certain foods that I find are just easier to not have in my home. We all know where our triggers are. I have continued to use Walden Farms for salad dressings and some of their other products.

For me, I know that I will have times to go up a couple pounds and then watch it closer and it will go back down. I make myself a 3# limit, that when I get there, I go back on phase 1 until back down. Life is meant to be lived and there are times to indulge. It is okay, and this time I know what to do to keep from having my weight get out of control. Also, I use fitday.com, which is a free online journaling site. You can see all the stats on what you are eating and identify areas that are troublesome.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #564  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

Thanks for posting Yinyang. The more info we have about phase 4, the better. I am really hoping to equal your success when I get there.

PS, Congrats Mike! Impressive weight loss! Hope to hear more from you!

Last edited by JSP; 02-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #565  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I"m so excited to see all the new folks transitioning into 3 and 4, its been pretty lonely here! I've been doing some experimenting with foods and look forward to hearing what you all are doing for meals after phase 1....

here was today's idea: "mock" stroganoff
brown ground beef and onions, stir in a little white wine, remove from heat and stir in some low fat sour cream.
in the meantime, boil a pot of salted water and drop in 2c of broccoli "shreds". Cook until a little tender, drain. Plate the "shreds" with the stroganoff on top.
This was ok, but a little bland....ideas?

and last night...
I made a tomato sauce with meatballs but instead of pasta, I steamed some butternut squash, then mashed with a little olive oil and parmesan cheese. I got this to be kind of a polenta consistency and used it as the base for the red sauce. This was pretty good and will be revisted for further tweaks.

what are your new inventions?

I am not to phase 4 yet but in the past I have used spaghetti squash as "pasta" for sauces. Worth a try.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #566  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

Phase 3 is going tremendously! I feel great each day, and have more energy, and sleeping very well at night. I just figured out I have a party to go to during the first week of Phase 4, so I can plan my first cheat day. Woooohoooo! I am going to have some birthday cake for sure! This diet is da bomb!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #567  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Quote:
Phase 3 is going tremendously! I feel great each day, and have more energy, and sleeping very well at night. I just figured out I have a party to go to during the first week of Phase 4, so I can plan my first cheat day. Woooohoooo! I am going to have some birthday cake for sure! This diet is da bomb!
Man, isn't this the best payoff for all your hard work? Enjoy the rest of ph. 3 and congrats on your weight loss! I am loving ph.4 and I'm also planning my first cheat day for Sunday. Da bomb for sure.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #568  

Quote:
I know what you mean about taters w/o the good stuff on it. I am also in ph. 4 and was thinking, since we can have more carbs at dinner, how would fat free sour cream do? It would satisfy the no fat for dinner rule.Here's the breakdown. My only disclaimer is I'm not sure about the taste, but maybe worth trying?

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0Calories 12

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 1mg 0%
Sodium 23mg 1%
Potassium 21mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.5g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0.06g
Protein 0.5g
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #569  

Quote:
Here is some info on the cheat day in phase 4, I cut and pasted from the first "Life after phase 1" thread:

• It is MANDATORY to have a “cheat day” followed by a low-carb day once a week, for two reasons
o Psychological
o Physiological: Your metabolic “set-point” won’t re-set lower if you have a cheat day once a week

Phase 4 cheat day examples:

--drinking wine is a cheat day event, drinking a martini (one!) is not
--Fried food will always be a cheat day (french fries, etc.)
--if it is a slow carb it is not a cheat, if it is any other carb, it is
high carb/fat combos, that would be a cheat day for me.

"Cheat days need not be a major production, nor do they have to be an entire day. Consider following Dr. Z’s lead. Her “cheat day” is actually Friday, Saturday and Sunday after 3:00 PM. She eats a healthy breakfast and lunch each day, then has her evening out with friends on Friday, goes to the Saturday cookout, and prepares a nice Sunday dinner at home. Every Monday it’s a no-carb day—either with IP products or without—so her body can’t store the fat." (This is from a Novak post).

I hope this helps. I am not there yet, so I can't give you any personal experience.
Jenny, thanks for the post. It was very helpful and I see there are lots of us now chiming in on the challenges and choices we're making even in light of the printed material. I'm coming to understand that this is about being in the real world with new skills and learning to trust ourselves to make good lifestyle choices. The guidelines act as just that...guidelines. It's scary, exciting and empowering at the same time.
Thanks again. I am so enjoying this thread. It's the right spot for me.
Have a sweet weekend everyone
Sunnymae
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #570  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
I know what you mean about taters w/o the good stuff on it. I am also in ph. 4 and was thinking, since we can have more carbs at dinner, how would fat free sour cream do? It would satisfy the no fat for dinner rule.Here's the breakdown. My only disclaimer is I'm not sure about the taste, but maybe worth trying?

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0Calories 12

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 1mg 0%
Sodium 23mg 1%
Potassium 21mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.5g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0.06g
Protein 0.5g
I don't know the daily values of IMO but I do like the taste as a sour cream substitue. although I have not had any in a loooong time.
Closed Thread