Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default Can we organize this to be a more efficient forum?

I see today we have lots of creative ideas going around about how to continue our desires to better organize the forum and threads.

I think it is a GREAT idea. I love that people want to take part in making something more usable for any of us now and for anyone who follows later.

Here is a link to some ideas that were generated at the time we were granted our own forum, just in June of this year! Also, some of those ideas were acted upon already. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...b-forum-2.html

We never did define a true "technical" space. Several people bantered it around and thought it might be best in either the FAQ thread or the Tips for newbies.

We are limited to the number of stickies permitted on the thread so, I think 1) it should have the support of the majority of the group and 2) I think moderators have to agree to it and then set it up.

We can create any threads we want and when a moderator sees something of value that is a very hot topic/traffic item they will move it to a sticky.

I don't agree that it should be closed. For one, I don't know that it can be reopened. Also, tech changes and forum rules, procedures, guidelines set by 3FC could change causing the thread to be obsolete.

I think it might be better to leave a tech thread as a sticky but open and then, when inappropriate chat starts, access a moderator to remove or move the chat post with a reminder that this is an info only thread. What do you guys think of that route?

I would love to be involved! I think those of us who have been around from the beginning, a long time, or very actively involved in the development of this board would LOVE to be included.


I have pulled out the individual conversations that have taken place so far, if anyone wants to do a quick uncluttered read:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427248-post119.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427248-post120.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427248-post121.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427278-post123.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427299-post125.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427334-post130.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427397-post136.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427435-post141.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427567-post146.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427676-post152.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427690-post154.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427758-post158.html

ROCKY! This was your idea. You have been here long enough to see how the forum works. I think it is a beneficial thread for everyone. I would support you in leading a group to create this!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #2  
Getting it Done!
 
Rocky Monarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 360

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Default

I can generate ideas (as a tech-idiot) but did you see what Rosie just did with the "illustration"? That kind of how to would be amazing (but is outside my skill set!) I have PM'd her to see if she'll join us here to talk about it.

Also, there were a couple other folks who said they had started some of this work already. I'm in meetings all day today (Pacific) but will go back tonight and see if I can find them.

I like the idea about having a moderator "clean it up" when needed, didn't realize that was an option. Ironically, I brought it up because it seems that every week we use a lot of our 500 towards these questions... since most people find the board through googling "Ideal Protein" they never see/realize the board structure--I never did.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  
Senior Member
 
I'm svelting!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Posts: 966

Default

Another idea I had was to have a standard message that starts the weekly chat thread with links to the Newbies thread, the IP FAQ thread and a tech tips thread.

That way if a question comes up in the chat thread, we could say "check the links in the first post of this thread."

If people see that enough, it'll just become the way it is.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this, this week or next but will try to do bits and pieces. I'll list the bits and pieces I've already drafted later tonight or early tomorrow morning.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default example images and basic format for new threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I can generate ideas (as a tech-idiot) but did you see what Rosie just did with the "illustration"? That kind of how to would be amazing (but is outside my skill set!) I have PM'd her to see if she'll join us here to talk about it.

Also, there were a couple other folks who said they had started some of this work already. I'm in meetings all day today (Pacific) but will go back tonight and see if I can find them.

I like the idea about having a moderator "clean it up" when needed, didn't realize that was an option. Ironically, I brought it up because it seems that every week we use a lot of our 500 towards these questions... since most people find the board through googling "Ideal Protein" they never see/realize the board structure--I never did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw32 View Post
Another idea I had was to have a standard message that starts the weekly chat thread with links to the Newbies thread, the IP FAQ thread and a tech tips thread.

That way if a question comes up in the chat thread, we could say "check the links in the first post of this thread."

If people see that enough, it'll just become the way it is.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this, this week or next but will try to do bits and pieces. I'll list the bits and pieces I've already drafted later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I LOVED Rosie's Illustration (print screen collage) it is a perfect visual and teaching tool.

I think it is a great idea to start all new chat threads with the "basics" and "find it here" kinds of links. Truthfully, as noted, we will be helping people get to that point because, as Rocky said, I googled IP and coach and it took me to a post in an old thread. I read back and forth through that thread for info. Back then our threads were a month or more long!

It would also be helpful, if people are responding to just one key point or something very important that they address that in the title box of the quote reply box. This may help searches become a bit easier. ( I used that to title this post as example images and basic format for new threads.) This could be very helpful when posting recipes or the names of alternate products too.

Rocky, if you feel you would rather work with someone else and share your Knowledge of how the forum flows. That is fine. I just want to make sure you don't feel the rest of us somehow hi-jack your idea. You tell us what works best for you. It sounds like at least 3 or 4 people are on the same page, have something in the works, and have the tech skills to back them/you up. Should be a good effort.

It doesn't have to happen fast or all at once. Start a thread. Label it the way you like. Once labeled it can't be undone, unless a moderator can/will change it for you. You can do a test thread, it can be deleted by a moderator or go obsolete, over time. The test thread could allow you to set up an area to share the ideas, decide how to organize them, etc. Just remind or ask people to send ideas to one person by PM and tell them how, if you don't want much clutter. I am not sure how long you have to be here to pm; I think 30 days.

Sounds like this could be something very good! I love positive group efforts.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #5  
aka, Rosie
 
6710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I can generate ideas (as a tech-idiot) but did you see what Rosie just did with the "illustration"? That kind of how to would be amazing (but is outside my skill set!) I have PM'd her to see if she'll join us here to talk about it.

Also, there were a couple other folks who said they had started some of this work already. I'm in meetings all day today (Pacific) but will go back tonight and see if I can find them.

I like the idea about having a moderator "clean it up" when needed, didn't realize that was an option. Ironically, I brought it up because it seems that every week we use a lot of our 500 towards these questions... since most people find the board through googling "Ideal Protein" they never see/realize the board structure--I never did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw32 View Post
Another idea I had was to have a standard message that starts the weekly chat thread with links to the Newbies thread, the IP FAQ thread and a tech tips thread.

That way if a question comes up in the chat thread, we could say "check the links in the first post of this thread."

If people see that enough, it'll just become the way it is.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this, this week or next but will try to do bits and pieces. I'll list the bits and pieces I've already drafted later tonight or early tomorrow morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I LOVED Rosie's Illustration (print screen collage) it is a perfect visual and teaching tool.

I think it is a great idea to start all new chat threads with the "basics" and "find it here" kinds of links. Truthfully, as noted, we will be helping people get to that point because, as Rocky said, I googled IP and coach and it took me to a post in an old thread. I read back and forth through that thread for info. Back then our threads were a month or more long!

It would also be helpful, if people are responding to just one key point or something very important that they address that in the title box of the quote reply box. This may help searches become a bit easier. ( I used that to title this post as example images and basic format for new threads.) This could be very helpful when posting recipes or the names of alternate products too.

Rocky, if you feel you would rather work with someone else and share your Knowledge of how the forum flows. That is fine. I just want to make sure you don't feel the rest of us somehow hi-jack your idea. You tell us what works best for you. It sounds like at least 3 or 4 people are on the same page, have something in the works, and have the tech skills to back them/you up. Should be a good effort.

It doesn't have to happen fast or all at once. Start a thread. Label it the way you like. Once labeled it can't be undone, unless a moderator can/will change it for you. You can do a test thread, it can be deleted by a moderator or go obsolete, over time. The test thread could allow you to set up an area to share the ideas, decide how to organize them, etc. Just remind or ask people to send ideas to one person by PM and tell them how, if you don't want much clutter. I am not sure how long you have to be here to pm; I think 30 days.

Sounds like this could be something very good! I love positive group efforts.
I'm glad you all liked the illustration, I feared it might step on someone's toes or maybe make someone feel bad. I loved, in the intial thread about creating the IP subforum, rocky's sticky ideas, maybe within those main ones there would be stickys for the other items that fall within. I haven't had a chance to review the links Carla posted within the start of this thread. I will try to look at them in the next couple of days, work gets in my way. I also like lcw's idea about having a standard weekly chat starting page with the links that will help people find the most common questions and concerns.

My idea about the how to's of the forum, is to provide a link to the 3FC FAQ about the specific uses, with the link provide a thumbprint pic that can be clicked on to see what the link is talking about. Or, do you all have some other thoughts. I will do whatever you all feel is best.
6710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #6  
Re-started IP 9.7.11
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,589

Height: 5' 4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6710 View Post
My idea about the how to's of the forum, is to provide a link to the 3FC FAQ about the specific uses, with the link provide a thumbprint pic that can be clicked on to see what the link is talking about. Or, do you all have some other thoughts. I will do whatever you all feel is best.
I think this is a really clever idea.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #7  
Senior Member
 
I'm svelting!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Posts: 966

Default Thumbnail pics as links

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6710 View Post
My idea about the how to's of the forum, is to provide a link to the 3FC FAQ about the specific uses, with the link provide a thumbprint pic that can be clicked on to see what the link is talking about. Or, do you all have some other thoughts. I will do whatever you all feel is best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I think this is a really clever idea.
Rosie, I like the idea of a thumbnail image. I think it would be good to provide text as well because images can mean different things to different people.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #8  
aka, Rosie
 
6710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw32 View Post
Rosie, I like the idea of a thumbnail image. I think it would be good to provide text as well because images can mean different things to different people.
Oh yes! I would include the callouts with the image and a little blurb after the link with some thing like "after reading the content of the link, come back a view the image". Do you think that would enough?
6710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #9  
Member
 
lilblackdress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 44

S/C/G: 238/154/150

Height: 5'7" Started IP 07/19/2010

Default

I think this is a great idea as many posts in the general chat end up having to be repeated numerous times regarding IP protocol, alternatives, and technical issues w/ the site.
lilblackdress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #10  
Getting it Done!
 
Rocky Monarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 360

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Default

sorry I dropped the ball on this, I have been traveling and crazy again. OK, here is a first shot at text for the "opening" post in a new sticky

Thread title: "How do I...?" Support for using the IP board

Welcome to the 3FC Ideal Protein Board! If you came to this page from a google search, the home page for the IP board is here: [insert link]. You may want to bookmark that URL now, then click on the link that says "How do I..."? to come back here.

This thread has information on how to use the board (i.e. technical advice, navigation notes, etc.). It will give you tips for setting up your account, getting a "weight ticker" in your signature, tell you about all those darn abbreviations, and otherwise initiate you into the world of using an online community.

In addition to this sticky, there are lots of other stickies and threads for you to explore:

If you'd like general information on the IP plan and it's phases check out this thread [insert link]

If you'd like to join the ongoing conversation where you can ask questions, celebrate successes, and get support, check out this [insert link]

If you'd like to see some success photos from others who are members of this board, click here [insert link].

Good luck on your IP journey, and remember we are all doing this together!

[then we insert posts with the other "how to's]

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 08-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!
 
Ruthxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Delta, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 26,840

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default

Quote:
This thread has information on how to use the board (i.e. technical advice, navigation notes, etc.). It will give you tips for setting up your account, getting a "weight ticker" in your signature, tell you about all those darn abbreviations, and otherwise initiate you into the world of using an online community.
Most of this is covered in the first part of the Main Forum Page. Let me know if you need additional info there or clarification.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
sorry I dropped the ball on this, I have been traveling and crazy again. OK, here is a first shot at text for the "opening" post in a new sticky

Thread title: "How do I...?" Support for using the IP board

Welcome to the 3FC Ideal Protein Board! If you came to this page from a google search, the home page for the IP board is here: [insert link]. You may want to bookmark that URL now, then click on the link that says "How do I..."? to come back here.

This thread has information on how to use the board (i.e. technical advice, navigation notes, etc.). It will give you tips for setting up your account, getting a "weight ticker" in your signature, tell you about all those darn abbreviations, and otherwise initiate you into the world of using an online community.

In addition to this sticky, there are lots of other stickies and threads for you to explore:

If you'd like general information on the IP plan and it's phases check out this thread [insert link]

If you'd like to join the ongoing conversation where you can ask questions, celebrate successes, and get support, check out this [insert link]

If you'd like to see some success photos from others who are members of this board, click here [insert link].

Good luck on your IP journey, and remember we are all doing this together!

[then we insert posts with the other "how to's]
I am right, this is the opening post for the new technical help sticky thread. Yes?

I like the structure for this. I realize we may have to post this as an answer for the people who find us in a google but are not taken to this "post" or thread first. My first google search led me to an in thread post about recipes and coaches.

I not sure how successful we will be putting

"If you'd like to join the ongoing conversation where you can ask questions, celebrate successes, and get support, check out this [insert link]"

we can try to do it but, the weekly thread is going quite long and we have been asked NUMEROUS times by the moderators to go to a daily thread like the use in the South Beach forums. I foresee in the very near future where the general chat thread will be just for that date.

we might be better of telling someone to go to the main page and look at the threads for the GENERAL CHAT thread of the day.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #13  
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 823

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Bump!!
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #14  
aka, Rosie
 
6710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86

Unhappy I'm out

Hey Ladies i'm sorry to say but I'm out of this project. There appears to be a large amount of frustration with the progress, see here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...rything-2.html. I feel there are others that would prefer to take on the organization. So I have decided to back out. I am also going to ask a moderator to delete my membership. I'll just lurk. Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement. I love IP. Rosie
6710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #15  
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 823

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6710 View Post
Hey Ladies i'm sorry to say but I'm out of this project. There appears to be a large amount of frustration with the progress
I don't think the frustration is with the progress of any particular effort to improve the boards, but generally with the current state, which has become a bit overwhelming. The recent change to daily chats takes some getting used to, and suddenly it seems that there are so many threads, no one could possibly keep up with them all.

Those newer to the forum may not realize that we used to have a monthly chat thread, and most information was exchanged there. The veterans at the time basically told us newbies to read all the previous posts before asking any questions! That soon became an unrealistic expectation, but there is so much great information captured here already, it really needs to be mined and organized so that people can find what they need.

My position on using the chat to introduce yourself and post questions is that most people go there first, and you're likely to get the best discussion. Many of us use multiquote, and do not always limit our posts to a narrow topic. And as the number of single topic threads increases, other threads get pushed to the back pages, where they are lost. If people don't see a certain topic on the front page, they just start another thread and the problem is compounded.

I think most of us would like the forum to maintain the camaraderie and support we have enjoyed here while engaged in a very difficult undertaking. The rapid growth and sprawling nature of recent postings can be perceived as a threat to that. I believe there is a solution, and that the bright people here can come up with something workable.

I'm sorry if the discussion felt like criticism to any of you who stepped up to help us better manage the content here; I can assure you that I appreciate everyone's ideas and efforts. And as Carla pointed out, we don't need to do this instantly... that is not a reasonable expectation. But I do believe we (all) should try to rein things in a little before it becomes too unwieldy with all the new people joining the mix.

We've had to do this before, and we'll have to do it again. Change comes, and we have to adapt. We'll figure it out, and emerge with something to accommodate most everyone's needs. But some people will not be comfortable with the changes, and will choose to move on. It has happened before, and it will again.
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.