Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #16  
Senior Member
 
jordanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,316

Default

Just a thought and of course we'd have to ask Elizabeth if she'd be willing to participate but it might be nice if there was a thread dedicated to posts about exercise and Elizabeth's answers...so she doesn't have to keep re-posting every time someone asks something. I know a lot of the same exercise type questions come up....
jordanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I’m going to bump this up to remind folks that—thanks to showgirlaz—we now have an IP forum that will support a more structured approach to posting and building a knowledge base. But if you’re like me, you’ve mostly stuck with what you are comfortable with: posting on the weekly chat. That’s fine, but it can still make valuable information difficult to find, and with so many more members on the boards than there were even a few months ago, not everyone has time to keep up with all the content!

I am going to start a “Life After Phase One” thread for people who are transitioning from IP or are in maintenance. Carla’s advice is to “keep it helpful and informative; have it be a regular chat for all in the Phase 3 and beyond stage... a place for people to go as they graduate from the weight loss stages.” I would also hope that we can begin to amass a central knowledge base for the later phases, as they are very different from Phase 1 and 2.

As I’ve said before, the people on this forum played a huge role in my success on IP, and I know many of you feel the same way. Let’s see if we can “give back” and assure that it will always be available as an important component in the IP weight loss program.

I really do like the idea of a life in maintenance area. I don't believe all people will slip into maintenance and stay there easily. Just because we reset our body, sometimes we still are doing work on the other elements/habits/emotions that contributed to our becoming overweight or became defenses for our self esteem.

I think it might be a less active thread but a still valuable one. We could even ask Ruth or Leenie to help us create a still for Maintenance Recipes. Things that are ok for the 6 days of non indulgence but obviously allow more creative cooking than phase 1 and 2 permit!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

This hasn't been posted on for quite awhile but, with all the talk of a new thread about technical tips, I thought I would bring it to the front again for review.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #19  
Senior Member
 
pitakitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 801

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I really do like the idea of a life in maintenance area. I don't believe all people will slip into maintenance and stay there easily. Just because we reset our body, sometimes we still are doing work on the other elements/habits/emotions that contributed to our becoming overweight or became defenses for our self esteem.

I think it might be a less active thread but a still valuable one. We could even ask Ruth or Leenie to help us create a still for Maintenance Recipes. Things that are ok for the 6 days of non indulgence but obviously allow more creative cooking than phase 1 and 2 permit!
yes! Second day of phase 4 and have lost control with chocolate and rice and fruit.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
yes! Second day of phase 4 and have lost control with chocolate and rice and fruit.
Yes???

Ellie, are you saying you need maintenance recipes??

HONEY! Have I got recipes for you! I have about 1000 low carb recipes that I can't wait to have in phase 4. They are even good in phase 1 in most cases.

I made a "breaded" fish with a chili lime sauce the other night that has 2.5 net carbs per serving. It was so YUMM, BF asked if we could have it again!

I have breads for phase 4, desserts, drinks (my girl friend makes a killer low carb margarita), and lots more. I know not everyone collects cook books like I do. Maybe they don't even check them out from the library or read low carb recipes on line. Some people like the quick and easy single place to look.

If that is what people want, I am happy to help start a recipes for after phase 1.

Let me know what you think. I know when I get there, in about 7 weeks, I will be wanting easy things to do at my finger tips.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #21  
Senior Member
 
pitakitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 801

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Yes???

Ellie, are you saying you need maintenance recipes??

HONEY! Have I got recipes for you! I have about 1000 low carb recipes that I can't wait to have in phase 4. They are even good in phase 1 in most cases.

I made a "breaded" fish with a chili lime sauce the other night that has 2.5 net carbs per serving. It was so YUMM, BF asked if we could have it again!

I have breads for phase 4, desserts, drinks (my girl friend makes a killer low carb margarita), and lots more. I know not everyone collects cook books like I do. Maybe they don't even check them out from the library or read low carb recipes on line. Some people like the quick and easy single place to look.

If that is what people want, I am happy to help start a recipes for after phase 1.

Let me know what you think. I know when I get there, in about 7 weeks, I will be wanting easy things to do at my finger tips.
Carla,

I would LOVE that. I have to say I think I faltered on the way I had planned the first few days were going to go because I came to visit my parents and their coffee table is full of sweets. BUT yes I am fully worried about how to approach this added carb to dinner. All I know is rice and pasta.

I'll be back in seattle tomorrow night and plan to seriously take control of this.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

GOTCHA! Stay here and I will respond!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
yes! Second day of phase 4 and have lost control with chocolate and rice and fruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post
Carla,

I would LOVE that. I have to say I think I faltered on the way I had planned the first few days were going to go because I came to visit my parents and their coffee table is full of sweets. BUT yes I am fully worried about how to approach this added carb to dinner. All I know is rice and pasta.

I'll be back in seattle tomorrow night and plan to seriously take control of this.
Aww. I am sure you did ok. Just jump back on phase 1 and 2 for a few days. You'll be fine.

I am totally open to starting a thread. It doesn't have to be a sticky. If it gets enough of the required action, moderators will make it a sticky. If not, if we are using it enough, it stays on page 1 anyway.

I know it will be hard for some to make the switch. If you aren't a researcher, cook, or someone who obsesses about what to cook (like I do ) it could be daunting to figure out the "so, I have freedom to cook new things with new rules but, I don't know where to begin" thing. For some people it may be a real departure from the way and ingredients they cooked before.

So, what would you want to have first?

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-09-2010 at 01:15 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #24  
getting back on track
 
deinekatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 743

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Just a thought and of course we'd have to ask Elizabeth if she'd be willing to participate but it might be nice if there was a thread dedicated to posts about exercise and Elizabeth's answers...so she doesn't have to keep re-posting every time someone asks something. I know a lot of the same exercise type questions come up....
Fine with me...thought we kind of had one already. But on a Sticky it may be better as it would not disappear from the top of the thread?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-exercise.html
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #25  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Aww. I am sure you did ok. Just jump back on phase 1 and 2 for a few days. You'll be fine.

I am totally open to starting a thread. It doesn't have to be a sticky. If it gets enough of the required action, moderators will make it a sticky. If not, if we are using it enough, it stays on page 1 anyway.

I know it will be hard for some to make the switch. If you aren't a researcher, cook, or someone who obsesses about what to cook (like I do ) it could be daunting to figure out the "so, I have freedom to cook new things with new rules but, I don't know where to begin" thing. For some people it may be a real departure from the way and ingredients they cooked before.

So, what would you want to have first?
I am also coming up too maintenance so i would love to get involved in a recipe swap type thing or if Carla would let me move in... even better, I am not the greatest cook but I try, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I dont really miss the carbs I think that is gonna be the hardest thing for me getting in a balance..
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #26  
Senior Member
 
Sweetstina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 254

Default

The idea of a Phase 3 & 4 Maintenance Recipes thread really appeals to me! I should be transitioning to Phase 2 soon and already I'm nervous about being left to my own devices in Phases 3 & 4. I've been reading the Life After Phase 1 thread religiously and the ladies there are so awesome and helpful, but what I would really appreciate and use is various sample meal menus with specific name brands and/or nutritional information, as well as recipes.
Sweetstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Just a bump and a cross post to the other new organization thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I see today we have lots of creative ideas going around about how to continue our desires to better organize the forum and threads.

I think it is a GREAT idea. I love that people want to take part in making something more usable for any of us now and for anyone who follows later.

Here is a link to some ideas that were generated at the time we were granted our own forum, just in June of this year! Also, some of those ideas were acted upon already. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...b-forum-2.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Okay the re-route to daily thread isn't working for everyone. What about creating threads for common discussion topics, like the Exercise Thread? Some ideas:
  • Thyroid questions
  • Diabetic, pre-diabetic, hypoglycemic questions
  • Men on IP
  • Deciding on a goal weight (already exists)
  • Weeks 1 & 2 ... I'm hungry, tired, have a headache
  • Fun with Packets
  • Can I have ....... on IP?
  • Skin, Hair and Nails
  • Food allergies and concerns -- soy, gluten
  • Vegetarians on IP
  • Sweeteners - natural and artificial
  • Help! I'm not losing weight and it's been ....
  • Birth control and IP (already exists)
  • Lower digestive tract issues - The C & D thread
Questions about vegetables and Lettuce, salt, water and oil come up fairly frequently too.

That's what I noticed looking at the 15 pages of archives. What else could be covered this way?

Edit: I should have read the thread linked by Carla, in the first post of this thread. There's a great list of ideas there, including mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
I like this idea a lot. I might also have a "Weigh in" thread where we could share our progress and an "Introduction" thread. From past experience on boards it is nice to be able to pop over to an intro thread and refresh my aging memory about a person who is posting.

But honestly, I'm pretty easy going. I've been around more this week because I've been stuck in my desk seat working on school and I need the distraction. I have no idea how things will go from here other than I have about 2.5 years left of school. I think I'll be goal weight before then though...

Hi Everyone!

I have been thinking about something I started back in June and can see a reason to finish.

I have been reading all the posts in the past 2 or so weeks (some of them I had to play catch up on ) and it seems a common theme which, is settling down a bit, is the confusion about what posts go in what thread category, how do I find something, when should I be creating a new thread.

I would like to try and clean up the forum. I have been with it, first as a lurker since last fall, then an active poster around New Years. I have a strong knowledge of what those threads were intended to offer originally and what has repeatedly come up for each new group of people to join IP and to join us.

With that said, I am intending to pick up where this left off and slowly put some of the points, discussed above and in the new subforum link, in place. I greatly appreciate any feedback you might have along the way. If you are shy about posting in this or other threads related to the changes, please PM me.

Also, if it isn't to late, I wanted to add my "two cents" about the daily thread closing time, assuming it is not too late.

Like others, I do wish the daily thread was open a bit longer, even an extra 24 hours would be nice. This would be really nice for those of on the west coast who can not get on as easily during the day and feel somewhat "obsolete" in answering other posters or, posting our own daily inputs by coming in at a point when the thread is about to close and we realize many may not even look back to the previous day to see what we said or accomplished. Is this something that can be coordinated without it becoming something too challenging to maneuver for others? I only ask because I was trying to post my reponses to Saturdays posts this weekend during the same time frame that the thread was closed out. Kind of left me feeling deflated after having taken the time to catch up on and read about everyone else's great day or, challenges and questions and then left unable to participate without doing a giant cut and paste process to the next day.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #28  
Re-started IP 9.7.11
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,589

Height: 5' 4"

Default Daily closing

I've given a lot of thought to when the daily chat closes, for a number of reasons, not the least of which because I know that most of what I post after 2:00 pm HST gets lost in the shuffle to move on to the next day. Put personal observations aside, I think I can see a pattern that we might capitalize on.

By 8:00 pm Hawaii Standard Time it is 2:00 am the next day on the east coast, 11:00 pm the same day, with time gradients on 3 hours in between. By the time I see Jessica's last post of the day, I generally say to myself, Well, that's it. I'm not at all against keeping the post open a few, up to 24 hours. On the other hand, I think many people won't bother to go back and read the yesterday posts if for no other reason than the fact that they can't remember where they left off.

My suggestion, based on daily activity and because we are committed to a daily thread, is to start the new thread at 2:00 am Eastern time. That way, no matter what time zone one's in, most people's posts will be encapsulated into a time frame that gives everyone a logic unity and Pacific and Hawai'i "late" posts get read. Like every other suggestion, this one has flaws, but I also think it is the most inclusive in that it gets more people's posts read.

And while I'm at it, is it possible to bring up the idea of a weekend post again?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #29  
Senior Member
 
I'm svelting!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Posts: 966

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
My suggestion, based on daily activity and because we are committed to a daily thread, is to start the new thread at 2:00 am Eastern time. That way, no matter what time zone one's in, most people's posts will be encapsulated into a time frame that gives everyone a logic unity and Pacific and Hawai'i "late" posts get read. Like every other suggestion, this one has flaws, but I also think it is the most inclusive in that it gets more people's posts read.
Linden: While you're still in Hawaii, would you be willing to start the next day's thread at 8 pm your time?
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #30  
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 844

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
My suggestion, based on daily activity and because we are committed to a daily thread, is to start the new thread at 2:00 am Eastern time. That way, no matter what time zone one's in, most people's posts will be encapsulated into a time frame that gives everyone a logic unity and Pacific and Hawai'i "late" posts get read. Like every other suggestion, this one has flaws, but I also think it is the most inclusive in that it gets more people's posts read.

And while I'm at it, is it possible to bring up the idea of a weekend post again?
From the perspective of an early riser on the East Coast, I don't read many of the previous day's posts until the next morning, and that's when I actually have time to respond. If you shut it down at 2:00 AM, I don't get my shot. I'm SURE you don't want that!

Can we start a new one and direct people there, but leave a half day for those in the "Far East" (as we used to call it in Alaska) to respond to the posts of the previous night?
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy Canuks Cluck Club - 2008 #2 meowee Support Groups 269 07-01-2008 08:14 AM
Dieting With Diabetes - The Long, Hot Summer meowee Diabetes Support 295 07-05-2006 08:45 PM
300+ and Ready To Try Again... #442 2cute2Bfat 300+ Club 20 11-17-2003 12:08 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.