Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 149.8/125/118.0

Height: 5'2"

Journeysend
I saw you were looking for a Shake Weight in Canada, i too was. I found them on Showcase.ca, here in BC we have those stores in the malls "as seen on tv", you could check it out.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #182  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

So, I was out on the bike path again yesterday morning, fishing for complim-… I mean, getting some exercise, and before I knew it, I had committed myself to covering 11.5 miles. I was planning on doing an 8-mile walk/run, and was feeling pretty good, so as I neared the turnaround point, I allowed myself to be lured by the rest stop (water and porta-potty) two miles ahead. It started getting pretty warm on the return trip and I wasn’t carrying water, so I backed off to a walk.

While I was walking, I was thinking about a couple of things. First, the terrible half marathon I’d had in January, when I was more than 50 pounds heavier than I am now. I tried to imagine walking more than ten miles with a 50-pound bag of horse feed strapped to my body. No wonder I used to find myself huffing and puffing and my knees hurt! Thank you, IP.

The other thing I was thinking about was the bright yellow ID strap on my wrist, and the dog tag I wear around my neck and tucked into my jog bra. (This is the public service portion of my post, which ties back to the trigger for my meteoric weight gain.) One November day several years ago, my younger sister was training to walk her first half marathon, and went into sudden cardiac arrest. She was not carrying ID, and after the paramedics revived her (she was luckily in a mall with people around), she ended up on life support for two days in an Anchorage hospital as “Amy Doe,” before she was identified and family contacted.

All of us, especially those who get out on the roads to exercise, or hit the gym, or travel away from home alone—even if you don’t have a medical condition—should ALWAYS carry ID and emergency contact information. At the very least, if you have a cell phone, be sure to include a number for “ICE” (in case of emergency) in your address book. If you’re working out at the gym and put your wallet and phone in a locker, consider a wrist band or necklace. And if you are walking or running or cycling, give your loved ones a little peace of mind by making sure first responders have the information they need in the event of an emergency.

Both of my sisters (one an EMT) and I all wear ID necklaces of some sort now, and have additional wrist bands for when we are out exercising… or in my younger sister’s case, in the event that we become separated in a busy place. She is one of the lucky 5% who survive sudden cardiac arrest, but suffered a short term memory loss and lives in the moment much of the time.

I thought about this yesterday because it was the sort of day when dehydration can become a problem, and I wasn’t carrying water. I recognized this and backed off, but I’ll have to admit I was glad to be wearing the wrist band. And if I’d passed out and wound up at the hospital, the dog tag I wear gives the ER telephone and computer access to my emergency information and medical history, which I keep online.

I know we all like to think we are indestructible, especially when we are young and/or fit. But, of course, we are not. Accidents happen, medical situations develop… even to the most experienced athletes. I’ve seen runners go down in many races, including some who did not survive. I think it’s worth the investment of a few bucks to increase your odds should something unexpected occur.

This is the kind of information you share with the people you care about, which is why I posted it here.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfergirl67 View Post
Journeysend
I saw you were looking for a Shake Weight in Canada, i too was. I found them on Showcase.ca, here in BC we have those stores in the malls "as seen on tv", you could check it out.
Thanks for the info, Golfergirl67, I am going into the city this week and will look in the "as seen on tv store"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
So, I was out on the bike path again yesterday morning, fishing for complim-… I mean, getting some exercise, and before I knew it, I had committed myself to covering 11.5 miles. I was planning on doing an 8-mile walk/run, and was feeling pretty good, so as I neared the turnaround point, I allowed myself to be lured by the rest stop (water and porta-potty) two miles ahead. It started getting pretty warm on the return trip and I wasn’t carrying water, so I backed off to a walk.

While I was walking, I was thinking about a couple of things. First, the terrible half marathon I’d had in January, when I was more than 50 pounds heavier than I am now. I tried to imagine walking more than ten miles with a 50-pound bag of horse feed strapped to my body. No wonder I used to find myself huffing and puffing and my knees hurt! Thank you, IP.

The other thing I was thinking about was the bright yellow ID strap on my wrist, and the dog tag I wear around my neck and tucked into my jog bra. (This is the public service portion of my post, which ties back to the trigger for my meteoric weight gain.) One November day several years ago, my younger sister was training to walk her first half marathon, and went into sudden cardiac arrest. She was not carrying ID, and after the paramedics revived her (she was luckily in a mall with people around), she ended up on life support for two days in an Anchorage hospital as “Amy Doe,” before she was identified and family contacted.

All of us, especially those who get out on the roads to exercise, or hit the gym, or travel away from home alone—even if you don’t have a medical condition—should ALWAYS carry ID and emergency contact information. At the very least, if you have a cell phone, be sure to include a number for “ICE” (in case of emergency) in your address book. If you’re working out at the gym and put your wallet and phone in a locker, consider a wrist band or necklace. And if you are walking or running or cycling, give your loved ones a little peace of mind by making sure first responders have the information they need in the event of an emergency.

Both of my sisters (one an EMT) and I all wear ID necklaces of some sort now, and have additional wrist bands for when we are out exercising… or in my younger sister’s case, in the event that we become separated in a busy place. She is one of the lucky 5% who survive sudden cardiac arrest, but suffered a short term memory loss and lives in the moment much of the time.

I thought about this yesterday because it was the sort of day when dehydration can become a problem, and I wasn’t carrying water. I recognized this and backed off, but I’ll have to admit I was glad to be wearing the wrist band. And if I’d passed out and wound up at the hospital, the dog tag I wear gives the ER telephone and computer access to my emergency information and medical history, which I keep online.

I know we all like to think we are indestructible, especially when we are young and/or fit. But, of course, we are not. Accidents happen, medical situations develop… even to the most experienced athletes. I’ve seen runners go down in many races, including some who did not survive. I think it’s worth the investment of a few bucks to increase your odds should something unexpected occur.

This is the kind of information you share with the people you care about, which is why I posted it here.
Novak Thank you so much for this info, something that most of us would never think of doing!!! I am going to get an id necklace right away!!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 215/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Fantastic post Novak I had goose bumps after reading it as one just never knows !!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicjul View Post
Fantastic post Novak I had goose bumps after reading it as one just never knows !!
Wow! That's worth thinking about!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 221/165/155 started 8/10/10

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

Novak, that is great info! Thanks for posting it. You are so right. Stuff we don't think about...but definitely should.

In two more hours I leave for my first visit to the Wellness Center to get started. Filled out the paperwork for the diet that was faxed to me. Getting VERY excited, although stressed about getting on the scale and getting measured. Since I knew I was starting the diet Tuesday, I've been pretty out of control...trying to get all my comfort foods in. Ugh. Can't wait to have this destructive behavior behind me. Am wondering how much weight I'll lose on the jump start. My sister and niece each lost 8 lbs. That seems incredible. This whole diet seems incredible....and so is this site.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #187  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I agree Novak! I never go without my phone, and I have Google latitude tracking me since my DH is still in bed when I go out hiking myself. So he looks up to see where the heck I am I also always carry ID even if I'm just running. I generally stick it in with my phone which I use as my ipod anyway. Always have at least 2 ICE contacts too, especially one that you don't travel with a lot (I use my inlaws for my second, hehe).
Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthia View Post
I agree Novak! I never go without my phone, and I have Google latitude tracking me since my DH is still in bed when I go out hiking myself. So he looks up to see where the heck I am I also always carry ID even if I'm just running. I generally stick it in with my phone which I use as my ipod anyway. Always have at least 2 ICE contacts too, especially one that you don't travel with a lot (I use my inlaws for my second, hehe).
Google latitude tracking... what a cool idea. I think about how many women turn up missing every day when they go out to exercise and it seems like this would be an incredible tool to have in place for safety. Thanks for the info.

NOVAK: Also need to look in to the necklace Novak mentioned. Can you refer us to a specific one for an example?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #189  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by damgi View Post
I have not cheated yet, nor do I plan too, but your words are so encouraging. I actually look forward to the moment I will eat something unhealthy and realize I don't need or want it.

What about salsa? I attempted a boring chili last night with lean ground beef, chili powder, green peppers and zucchini. It is for tonite's dinner, but I took a little taste - BORING! It really needed something else to kick it up! Any suggestions?
For salsa you can pretty much make any normal salsa without balsamic vinegar, honey, or sugar. I only say that because I have seen recipes that add that to cut the acid.

You also need to remember to watch your portion of the tomatoes. Maybe measure out what YOUR portion is and then don't go back for more. It will be a challenge if the salsa is good.

Salsas can be almost anything. Of course we can't have fruit in phase 1 or cream cheese (yes, there is a salmon salsa that uses it) but, if you stay with chili, onion, cucumber, jicama, tomato, tomatillo, black soy beans, cilantro, lemon juice, lime juice, apple cider or white vinegar, and spices (chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, tobasco, garlic, cumin) you should come up with something really good! You can do a fresh cut salsa, a pico de gallo, or a slow simmered salsa.

This is a recipe my grandmother makes:

Salsa Ranchera

Ingredients –
2 tomatoes
1/2 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of oil
serrano chile as desired
oregano as desired
cumin as desired (just a dash works)
freshly chopped cilantro as desired
the juice of half a lime
salt

Preparation:
Submerge the tomatoes in boiling water for a few seconds. Peel them, dice them and put them in what will be your salsa bowl.
Chop up the onion, chili, and garlic and cilantro then, mix with the tomato.
Add the oil and the lime juice and sprinkle with oregano, cumin, and salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Thanks guys!! I feel like I'm floating today!! And my fiance comes home in 19 days for his leave from Afghanistan!! He doesn't know how much I've lost!!! Life is great!!
CONGRATULATIONS ON WONDERLAND!! You also are so near your 1/2 way goal. I think I see a car in your future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
[be VERY VERY careful to scrub your hands at LEAST twice with dish soap or something powerful after chopping is done or you can do some serious damage to your eyes or other sensitive parts from the pepper oil--and DON'T eat the seeds unless you are a hot food maniac ]
When I am working with chilis I were disposable gloves, like hospital gloves, and sometimes two pair if the chilis are really hot. That way I am less likely to forget and touch myself or to have residual pepper on my nail beds. It also works to wear them if you roast chilis and peel them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle12 View Post
NSV ----

I have gone from a 22W to a 16W and can actually buy shirts in the Regular section of the store-XL or L.

This will be a great week wearing clothes that actually fit and are not baggy.
Congratulations! That is such a fantastic moment. You are DEFINITELY making progress with this plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcrafter View Post
OH How exciting!!!!!!
In slacks I went from the 22/24W's to 18W's.. OH HOW I LOOK FORWARD TO 16W Petites!
Good Job on the size changes! The 16w will come faster than you can imagine!

Quote:
So, ....

The other thing I was thinking about was the bright yellow ID strap on my wrist, and the dog tag I wear around my neck and tucked into my jog bra. (This is the public service portion of my post, which ties back to the trigger for my meteoric weight gain.) ..

.....And if I’d passed out and wound up at the hospital, the dog tag I wear gives the ER telephone and computer access to my emergency information and medical history, which I keep online.

Thank you for such a great post. Thanks too for sharing about your sister; I'm sure that experience was scary.

Since my mother and sister died I have had ICE information in my phone. I don't stop at 2 people. I have about 6. I have carried ID with me for years but, that doesn't always help as we learned in mom and Heather's case.

They were in an automobile accident where the car went off the side of the road and rolled down a ravine about 400 feet. The area was not clear or easy to reach and it took an extra 25 minutes to prepare an area for a medical helicopter to land. When the medics and police were working the site they couldn't find my mother's or sister's purses,phones, and ids. During the rolling these things had been thrown out of the vehicle and were later found under brush. My mother was fortunately still somewhat conscious when they got to her (sister was already deceased) she gave them 4 phone numbers from memory. They tried 3 numbers before they called my office and got me. By the time the located me they were preparing to put my mom in a ct scan, they didn't know she had a severe allergic reaction to dye. They got me in time to stop that procedure and took her straight in for surgery. Thankfully, they got a hold of me and through me, my sister and dad. We didn't make it to the hospital in time to see her. She died in surgery as a result of severe injuries. However, if she hadn't had something so fatal, that dye would have been enough to potentially have killed her.

When they separated my mother from my sister, my sister was without ID and momentarily became "lost". I knew she had to have been in the car with mom and that she wasn't the driver. After a rapid series of about 7 calls, we were able to track her down, realized she was deceased and was going to the county morgue and not to a different trauma hospital. At least we found her.

I have often wondered and thought about the id tags and bracelets. At least, especially in this situation, it helps keep a person identified following a traumatic event. It also helps an unconscious or incoherent person get rapid care. I have now memorized multiple phone numbers for contacts but, I know that is also a fallible backup.

Where did you get your necklace and bracelet? What is the service you refer to that has your medical info online? I would love to have these things for myself and for my family.

Thank you for sharing something so important. It really hit home for me.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #190  

Quote:
Originally Posted by damgi View Post
I attempted a boring chili last night with lean ground beef, chili powder, green peppers and zucchini. It is for tonite's dinner, but I took a little taste - BORING! It really needed something else to kick it up! Any suggestions?
To improve the chili, you could add some black soy beans. A few chopped/diced tomatoes or a small amount of tomato paste. How did you season it? Chili powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic, salt, pepper all add flavor. I have even added some lime juice to make a chili lime con carne chili.

Have you lightly sauteed/sweated any onions and fresh chopped garlic to add to the dish? Even some celery can add a nice flavor. How about some cilantro? finely chop and add it in like you would oregano to an Italian dish. If you want a little more "sauce" or broth you could add a small quantity of beef stock or broth. It will pick up the seasoning and if you add the tomato paste you can get by with a little less.

My original homemade chili doesn't work on program, too many beans and tomatoes. I now make just a con carne, original Texas style, without beans and tomatoes. Just uses meat, onion, garlic, chili peppers, cilantro, spices, and a bit of beef broth. All the spices really kick up the flavor and the broth keeps it from becoming too dry. I have thought of adding black beans and some tomato to it the next time I make it.

FOR THE SHAKE WEIGHT:

I have found it on ebay. I don't know if that might help some people.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-09-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #191  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I have often wondered and thought about the id tags and bracelets. At least, especially in this situation, it helps keep a person identified following a traumatic event. It also helps an unconscious or incoherent person get rapid care. I have now memorized multiple phone numbers for contacts but, I know that is also a fallible backup.

Where did you get your necklace and bracelet? What is the service you refer to that has your medical info online? I would love to have these things for myself and for my family.

Thank you for sharing something so important. It really hit home for me.
Your story is so painful and compelling... I know it's not easy to open such wounds, as I still hold much of mine inside. So thank you for sharing your story with us on these boards. It says a lot about the trust you have in your friends here, and I only hope we continue to earn that from you every day.

I will post the ID info when I get home.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #192  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Novak and Carla- Thank You for sharing, and trusting us with your experiences..we can learn from.. your special ladies!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #193  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2swim View Post
Novak, that is great info! Thanks for posting it. You are so right. Stuff we don't think about...but definitely should.

In two more hours I leave for my first visit to the Wellness Center to get started. Filled out the paperwork for the diet that was faxed to me. Getting VERY excited, although stressed about getting on the scale and getting measured. Since I knew I was starting the diet Tuesday, I've been pretty out of control...trying to get all my comfort foods in. Ugh. Can't wait to have this destructive behavior behind me. Am wondering how much weight I'll lose on the jump start. My sister and niece each lost 8 lbs. That seems incredible. This whole diet seems incredible....and so is this site.
Oh I did the SAME thing!! I Ate Pizza+ Fresh Italian bread with olive oil til I was stuffed.. what a piggy I was! The only thing that food every did for me was make me fat and gave me such a withdrawal headache days 2-3-4 of the diet.. withdrawing from sugars and slow burn carbs!! Advil/ and LOTS of water helped!! I put the sea salt in my water too, It DOES help! Your biggest weight drop will be the first week, so stay on the plan, write down everything you eat/drink.. It helps to SEE your are not starving..Have the extra packets they allow.. 5 packets per day the first week.. I had every one!! Your body needs it the first week, esp if you have a lot of weight to lose like I did.
There is always great support here on these boards..
Wishing you weight loss success!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #194  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Well Hello girls (and guys)

Summer has been a rush of events and chaos. I can't believe I only was on my computer once the whole time. But alas, like all good things it must come to an end. I am back at work today for the start of school is just 2 weeks away.

Its been a good summer. I have been in Maintenance since the last week in June and have gone to 2 weigh ins. I have lost 2 lbs over the last month and a half and my coach is pretty proud. I think in September I am going to go on Phase 1 for a couple of weeks and get down to 150. I am officially a size 10 and even have 8's!! I was a 16 in March. I feel so much better and when I look back at old pictures am embarrassed at what I looked like. When I walked into my office today my boss said "Holy Crap, how much weight have you lost?" Great start to my day!!

I've missed you all and loved reading how you are doing. Welcome to all the Newbies. I know I must seem like one too, but I'm just returning. Talk to you soon.

Last edited by carlasherea; 08-09-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #195  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
Well Hello girls (and guys)

Summer has been a rush of events and chaos. I can't believe I only was on my computer once the whole time. But alas, like all good things it must come to an end. I am back at work today for the start of school is just 2 weeks away.

Its been a good summer. I have been in Maintenance since the last week in June and have gone to 2 weigh ins. I have lost 2 lbs over the last month and a half and my coach is pretty proud. I think in September I am going to go on Phase 1 for a couple of weeks and get down to 150. I am officially a size 10 and even have 8's!! I was a 16 in March. I feel so much better and when I look back at old pictures am embarrassed at what I looked like. When I walked into my office today my boss said "Holy Crap, how much weight have you lost?" Great start to my day!!

I've missed you all and loved reading how you are doing. Welcome to all the Newbies. I know I must seem like one too, but I'm just returning. Talk to you soon.
HEY!!

I was hoping we would see you around sometime this month! I love your new picture. You look SO BEAUTIFUL!

I am glad you succeeded with maintenance and that you had a good/busy summer.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Closed Thread