3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative Products that work in PHASE 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/203447-alternative-products-work-phase-1-a.html)

panda13 01-06-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMommy (Post 4159312)
I had actually not known we were not allowed to have fructose, can I ask if you know why? I have been making sure none have aspartame but I thought that was the only restriction. Thanks in advance!!

Fructose is a kind of sugar, so it would probably throw you out of ketosis. No sugars of any kind are allowed in Phase 1, as far as I know. Someone with more experience might know more about it, though. (I'm on Day 5) :)

panda13 01-06-2012 02:00 PM

I'm going to try to make my own bar/cookie thing, partially because I don't care much for the ones I've been getting (Pure Protein), and partially for cost (though I haven't actually compared cost with this recipe). I have NOT made this yet, so I have NO idea how it will taste. However, I'm wondering if the more experienced IP'ers on here could let me know what they think of the nutritional info:

1 cup Byrd Mill 12% Peanut Flour Dark
8 Scoops Meijer Whey & Soy Protein Powder,Chocolate Flavored
1/2 cup Splenda
1 Stick Land O Lakes Light Butter
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract,

8 servings

Total: 1328 calories, 52 g carbs, 64 g fat, 148 g protein
Per Serving: 166 calories, 7 g carbs, 8 g fat, 19 g protein

(Nutritional info from Myfitnesspal.com)

I'm not too concerned with the carbs, more with the fat. I know butter is not allowed. Could I use coconut oil instead? (Though, that would probably make it higher fat). I think olive oil would not taste very good.

Any suggestions. Has anyone made their own protein bars before?

stolaf 01-06-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST (Post 4159437)
I also order from there... I like the health smart bars, double peanut butter, and the chocolate peanutbutter are my fave, have tried the caramel nut which is good too. Had the oatmeal but not sure if it was proti-thin or health smart. it is okay as I missed my oatmeal... the chocolate puffs are the same as IP the other puffs aren't quite the same but okay for a change. haven't tried the puddings... oh and Nashua's proti-go drinks are really good I bought the mochaccino and like it and want more. Hope this helps the move to alternatives for you.:)

Hi - thanks for the info. I did place my first order with the nashua nutrition site. I didn't order much though, just in case I don't like it.

BTW - great picture of you!

NavyMommy 01-06-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda13 (Post 4159652)
Fructose is a kind of sugar, so it would probably throw you out of ketosis. No sugars of any kind are allowed in Phase 1, as far as I know. Someone with more experience might know more about it, though. (I'm on Day 5) :)

If you look at the IP ingredients there are a lot of their products that have sugar, sometimes organic cane sugar, corn syrup, as well as glucose and agave. I would think that as long as the total carb count is within limits the amounts are trivial enough to not matter but I'm not the expert.

There is also one ingredient I am pretty sure is some kind of fruit sugar fructooligosaccharide. I do find it interesting though that only one of the products (the UHT Chocolate Pudding) actually has fructose in it. I wonder if there is a reason for that. I would love to hear other's inputs on it. Those wafers are AMAZING and I was planning on ordering another box.

stolaf 01-06-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMommy (Post 4159942)
If you look at the IP ingredients there are a lot of their products that have sugar, sometimes organic cane sugar, corn syrup, as well as glucose and agave. I would think that as long as the total carb count is within limits the amounts are trivial enough to not matter but I'm not the expert.

There is also one ingredient I am pretty sure is some kind of fruit sugar fructooligosaccharide. I do find it interesting though that only one of the products (the UHT Chocolate Pudding) actually has fructose in it. I wonder if there is a reason for that. I would love to hear other's inputs on it. Those wafers are AMAZING and I was planning on ordering another box.

Well, as long as you are losing you are doing the right thing. I never had to think when I used IP products and now that I am switching to alternative products I think I am over-thinking everything! I didn't realize that some of the IP products had can sugar, corn syrup, etc....

I'm going to try using alternatives for a few weeks. If it's too difficult and/or I am not losing I'll have to bit the bullet and get the real stuff again!

NavyMommy 01-06-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolaf (Post 4160032)
Well, as long as you are losing you are doing the right thing. I never had to think when I used IP products and now that I am switching to alternative products I think I am over-thinking everything! I didn't realize that some of the IP products had can sugar, corn syrup, etc....

I'm going to try using alternatives for a few weeks. If it's too difficult and/or I am not losing I'll have to bit the bullet and get the real stuff again!

That's how I feel too. I am going to give myself 4 weeks and if I'm not losing like I did when I was on the actual IP I am going to go back to my coach and the products again. I am still trying to figure everything out too.

panda13 01-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyMommy (Post 4159942)

Thanks NavyMommy. I guess maybe if it has sugar/fructose/agave, then maybe it should be treated as a restricted item?

sandralosingweight 01-07-2012 12:59 PM

Hello,

I just want to reassure everyone who want to switch to alternatives and is scared of not having the same results as with IP products that if you do it right way by taking the time to read the nutritional value and compare and make sure the product does not have aspartame, it will sure work for you as it did for me and many others. I always say that it is kind of like buying the no name ibuprofene vs buying Advil.

NavyMommy 01-07-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandralosingweight (Post 4160946)
Hello,

I just want to reassure everyone who want to switch to alternatives and is scared of not having the same results as with IP products that if you do it right way by taking the time to read the nutritional value and compare and make sure the product does not have aspartame, it will sure work for you as it did for me and many others. I always say that it is kind of like buying the no name ibuprofene vs buying Advil.

Since you've been on alternatives for awhile I have a question for you. What ingredients do you stay away from? We've been having a discussion about fructose. Do your products have that in them?

sandralosingweight 01-07-2012 02:43 PM

I don't believe they do, I don't have many products left to check now, but what I currently have left don't, they are sweetened with acesulfame potassium which is the same ingredient used in IP products.

I order from proteinwell.ca and from nashuanutrition.com and the protein whey isolate from local nutrition stores or Costco, also, I have buy the Jamieson slim down bars from Walmart and when I do so, i read the ingredients to make sure there's no aspartame and I have my IP sheet to compare to see what is a similar product to IP concerning fat, carbs and protein and of course the calories per serving.

BACKDROPsilhouette 01-07-2012 04:53 PM

Since money is an issue for me, I think I'll go with alternative products. I'd love to have a coach and everything, and while I won't need to pay a consultation fee, the food is so expensive.

Hopefully the google doc with the food comparisons does me well! I still don't know what the different colors mean, but . . . oh well.

Edit; I figured out what the colors were. Never mind!

wuv2bloved 01-07-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKDROPsilhouette (Post 4161256)
Since money is an issue for me, I think I'll go with alternative products. I'd love to have a coach and everything, and while I won't need to pay a consultation fee, the food is so expensive.

Hopefully the google doc with the food comparisons does me well! I still don't know what the different colors mean, but . . . oh well.

Edit; I figured out what the colors were. Never mind!

You don't have information to send an Instant message, send me an instant/private message please :)

BACKDROPsilhouette 01-07-2012 06:22 PM

wuv2bloved, I'm not seeing how to send you a private message (I'm still not used to these type of forums), so I signed into my yahoo and sent you a request through there. D; My profile options say my contact information is listed, so I'm not sure what's going on.

stolaf 01-07-2012 07:07 PM

So...here is part of my 'alternative' product list:

Restricted items: Pure protein bar, Proti-diet/proti-thin oatmeal from nashuanutrition.com

Non-restricted items: Pure Protein RTD chocolate or vanilla, EAS carbadvantage chocolate (I can only stomach the vanilla as creamer in coffee, can't drink it straight), I've also ordered some drinks off of nashua nutrition but they havent' come in yet.

I'll keep my list updated and be as specific as possible to help anyone else trying the alternate route.

uolecrab 01-09-2012 11:32 AM

Are Mama Lupe's Low carb tortillas allowed???

I saw that Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortillias are only 7 carbs, 4 fiber and 5 protein and 3 fat. are they allowed on phase 1 in place of a ip pack??:o