Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #76  

Talking Secret's Out

I laughed out loud when I read this post. Thanks to Weight Watchers and The FIRM exercise routines, I've managed to lose 85 pounds and SIX dress sizes. (HORAY!) I can't tell you how many people have come up to me and asked me, "How did you do it? What's your secret...?" As soon as I say the words "diet and exercise", their shoulders slump. Absolutely everyone is looking for that miracle that will make them shed pounds while eating whatever they want and doing absolutely nothing. I'm here to tell you...nature doesn't work that way.

It took me 2 years to take my weight off. I jumped on the wagon with all sorts of enthusiasm, then fell off the wagon...jumped back on...fell back off...I'm sure many of you can relate! I chose Weight Watchers because it's one of the safest "diets" out there. I hesitate to use the word "diet" at all because losing weight and keeping it off is truly a lifestyle change. The older I got, the more I realized I needed to exercise in order to not only lose weight, but keep it off as well. If I fall off my exercise wagon, my pants start getting tight and I know I need to buckle down and get back on track. I never want to see that size 16/18 ever again! I also have heart disease that runs in my family, and as a woman I'm much more susceptible to die at an early age because of it. Three more cheers for exercise which will significantly lessen that possibility for me!

Another thing that helped me was not weighing myself throughout my weight loss adventure. I don't even own a scale. I took my measurements when I started and periodically checked my progress every once in a while. I can't tell you how elated I was to see an inch gone here, two inches gone there...it was great! I'm happy to report a total loss of 35 inches. Also, muscle weighs more than fat so I didn't want to get discouraged by seeing either little or no weight loss after 2 weeks of exercise.

One piece of advice I'd like to give everyone struggling with weight issues is DO NOT beat yourself up when you cheat on your diet or fall off the wagon! Just acknowledge the fact that you "slipped", and get back on track the next day. Don't let your guilt drive you to give up altogether. Also, it takes a while to safely lose weight. I guarantee if you add exercise to watching what you eat, you will see results much faster than you anticipate. Imagine that wonderful feeling of buttoning a pair of pants only to have them fall halfway down your hips because they're TOO BIG!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE OUT THERE!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
mnleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #77  
Working My Way Back Down

Congratulations on your success!! And you're right, no one wants to hear the dreaded "diet and exercise" formula.

Your post did however, hit one my "buttons. You stated that muscle weighs more than fat... It does not. A pound of fat weighs exactly the same as a pound of muscle. It's just that muscle is denser than fat so that a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat. There's a photo wandering around in a lot of threads here showing the difference in size between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat. Amazing.

But again, you've done a great job. Making a lifestyle change is what works!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 329/ 310 /269 eventually

Height: 5'7"

Thank you!
ziggy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 227/200/160

Height: 5"5"

Smile losing...again!

I figure over the past few years of being an adult, I have probably lost about 500 pounds. The problem is...they have been the same 20-30 over and over again. This time, I have decided, I can't do this on my own. I prayed and told God, "Lord, you know my weaknesses, you know I can't do this on my own. Help me." When we realize our limitations, we have taken the first step. I started with watching by using the Weight Watcher's point system in May. I have lost 35 pounds by doing so. I will always have a problem with my weight because I love groceries. I love Pizza Hut, I love Taco Bell, etc. But, I can make the healthier choices and still have some yummy junk food. I realize this isn't a "diet" this is a life change. This is something I have to live with the rest of my life. I also have realized, I don't have to be a size 2, or a size 4 or any other size. I just want to feel better, look better in my clothes and live longer. I am still over-weight, and I still need to lose 35 pounds, but I am half way there, and what's the rush? I'm not in a race to see how much I can lose in x amount of time. This is a life long thing, I have the rest of my life to get it off. Attitude is everything!
lacydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #80  
t's babygirl

S/C/G: 310/310/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Great attitude

I like the things you have to say...i too love groceries and pizza hut ...Keep up the good work..
t's babygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 165/165/125

Height: 5'6"

I loved your post. Its very inspiring. Although I agree that its in you, it doesn't help to have the money for the healthier foods, I know this is a problem that I'm having, being a college student I have trouble buying fresh foods all the time because they are so much more expensive. Very inspirational though!
MessyJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #82  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Your post did however, hit one my "buttons. You stated that muscle weighs more than fat... It does not. A pound of fat weighs exactly the same as a pound of muscle.
It's all in how you look at it. If you take size as the basic unit, then muscle does weigh more than fat. That is, if you have a "piece" of muscle the same size as a "piece" of fat, the muscle will weigh more.

Obviously a pound is equal to a pound. If you take mass as the basic unit (like you are doing) then what can be said is that fat takes up more space than muscle, because a pound of muscle is "smaller" than a pound of fat.

Ultimately the issue is density, that is, mass per volume.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #83  
where did she go?

S/C/G: S267/C253/G150

Height: 5'5

Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing
want2Bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5.0

hmmm
JenJen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #85  

i always keep searching for secrets and stuff

but when ever i start i never walk to the end
pink angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #86  

Great job on losing the weight. You sound very inspirational. I am gonna look at your friend's website. I am trying to decide the best way for me to lose weight. I liked ww alot but i really didn't lose that much cuz my thyroid was inactive. I'm on medicine now. So, I may give it another try.
Destiny2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 183/148/125

Height: 5'2

Yeah Shirley I take it twice at dinner. And insulin in the day and night.
missjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 182/152/125

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you for your post and this thread including everyone's comments and additional advice. I sit here this morning struggling with the process. I know I need to eat less, exercise more. It isn't that part of the equation that gets me. It is the mental part. My goal for the last 4 weeks has been to exercise 5x a week. Have I done it...yes. Have I lost a lot of weight...no. Down 4lbs...up 2lbs. I still let the scale drive me, even when my goal isn't about the scale. It truly is the mental part. I let the scale disappoint me...then I get depressed...will I always be the "fat" one? I feel like giving up. I like the poster who said tell your head to "shut up". That is what I need to do. I can do this. I have faith. I have hope. I have dreams. I can believe in myself. I will keep exercising. I will track my food better and make wiser choices. I will tell my negative thoughts to "shut up". And I will continue to read more threads like this to inspire me.

Thanks again.
sukierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #89  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 197/194/145

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations! I really enjoyed reading your post. And you're right, there is no "magic potion".
Christy3 is offline   Reply With Quote