General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #1  

Default Just Starting Diets - I'm Completely Lost

I could really use some advise: What should I be eating? While I can Google these questions my self, I find that many successful people are successful because they utilize little known resources. So please post things you have found especially useful.

Background information:
-Not unhealthy 18 yr. old male, 155 lbs. (not active)
-Unhealthy eating habits (I eat whatever, but no soda and I seldom eat fast food)
-Looking for something long term, not a weight loss or get-slim-quick diet
-Looking to pair this diet with gradually increasing cardio exercise (up to around 3 miles a day of running) as well as casual weight lighting (not body building but fit)
-I have a taste tolerance for eating just about anything, so just give me what works. You don't need to sell it to me
-Peanut and tree nut allergy

If you have any tips on the following, that would be great.

-How many grams of trans/sat fat are okay?
-How important is distinguishing natural vs. added sugars
-How many grams of sugar are okay?
-How much sodium is okay?
-How much protein should I aim for, and does the source matter? (fish vs. beans vs. sprouts)
-What types of meat are better than others? (and don't just say red meat is bad and fish is good, I can get that from Google :P )
-Vegan protein intake for someone with a tree nut and peanut allergy?
-What vitamins should I be on the look out for when crafting a diet?
-A list, or a referral to a list, of common preservatives and sugar-aliases that I should look out for (such as agave nectar, which is just sugar)

Also, some general questions...

-What are the cornerstones of your diet(s)? For example, oatmeal seems to be a really good breakfast food.
-For those of you who have had success in dieting, what are some positive changes you have noticed, apart from the obvious visual physical changes? Any major psychological or energy-level improvements?
-Does avoiding GMOs have any direct impact on your results? Keep in mind that I'm about to go to med school, so daily runs to the organic health store to buy a tomato for 5$ a piece isn't exactly reasonable (and yes that's hyperbole)

Above all, remember I'm an absolute beginner. While I have done a little reading, I have no experience, and I haven't found any solid source of information on this. There's a lot of crap in the dieting industry- not many diets for people who aren't overweight.
SomethingCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Welcome SomethingCreative! While I can't answer all your questions, I will answer a couple of your general ones. 1) One of the cornerstones of my diet is eggs every morning. I love oatmeal but my body is sensitive to carbs (endocrine/insulin issues run in my family) and if I start my day out with carbs, I have cravings all day long. 2) The positive changes I've experienced as a result of limiting quick-burning carbs like bread, cereal, pasta, rice, potatoes, and sweets are my mood has improved (I suffer from clinical depression and anxiety), my joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis is barely even noticeable, and I have much more energy, clearer thinking, and overall strength.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

You are 18 and about to go to med school? Wow! Since you aren't overweight, I'd suggest taking a basic course in nutrition. And I also recommend that to you as a future physician

Last edited by mars735; 07-24-2015 at 12:48 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #4  

If you have health insurance I would suggest a meet up with a nutritionist. They can teach you basics about portions and nutrition. If you are going to a major university there is more than likely a nutritionist in the health center on campus or nutrition classes you can take to get things sorted out. For now I wouldn't try to count fat or sugar grams. Just start by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're 18, you're relatively healthy, and you don't eat fast food or like sodas? Then you do not need a diet! Please stay away from dieting, it can set you up to have a very difficult relationship with food for the rest of your life. Don't write off any foods, learn to eat in moderation and focus the bulk of your nutrients to come from whole foods. If I were you I would follow the ever so healthy template of splitting your meals 3 ways: 50% of your plate should be devoted to vegetables, 25% devoted to protein, and 25% devoted to carbs. Fat is not your enemy. Try to live by Michael Pollan's wisdom "Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants."

Don't think about percentages and amounts of sodium, fat and sugar. Eat them, but not too much. It's common sense. It's better to eat an orange than it is to drink orange juice. The less processed food is the better it is for you. And relax, don't worry so much. Avoid diets and avoid dieters as much as you can. Spend time with people who eat normally and seem naturally slim. Learn from them. And love your body and yourself, enjoy exercise and do it because it makes you feel good. Don't look at yourself like a collection of body parts that need tweaking. Enjoy your youth and your good health!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote