General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down The Plan - Summer Edition

The Plan - Summer Edition

The plan is what you decide to do to enhance your health and help you lose weight. We've tried a bunch of them on our friendly journey as diet buddies. WW, Atkins, What would Jesus eat, Tops, Prevention Millennium diet, Body For Life, BRx.

At this time there are four regular posters, please feel welcome to join in if you'd like.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 PM   #2  

Smile We've tried em' all!

You can add "Xenical" to that list.

Alice, 45 grams of carb. is still a lot, they must have modified it from the original Atkins. I might give it a try, I dunno. I know the giving up of "white" stuff is on WWJ eat diet. Ledom, do you eat "white" foods?

We are having nice weather here. I had the yard done today. The rhodos are beginning to flower, I have mostly pinks and purples.

I started reading a biography about Flannery O'Conner. Anybody read any of her books?

All quiet on the western front.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:16 AM   #3  
Chick

Default judi,

The only white food is potatoes. I don't eat them very often but they are used on both BFL and BRx. I think sweet potatoes are considered a bit better though.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #4  

Hi "Plan" members: I haven't visited 3fatchicks in months--but having joined the LA weight loss plan two weeks ago, I was interested in seeing if there were any other LAers posting. I left a thread for other LAers to buddy up with me but have had no replys--so I read your posts and you seem pretty goal oriented and supportive. I have in the past been a life-time WW, having regained all of it and more these past 20+ years--I'm 53 and still struggling with weight control. I was getting very out-of-control and needed structure and someone to be accountable to. I like LA so far--much like WW except I get one-on-one counseling instead of a group meeting. I need that right now, and when I reach my goal and have worked through maintenance I hope to return to WW least monthly to stay accountable. That's nice about WW--you're not done and out-the-door or paying more money out if you maintain your weight loss. I'm sorry I'm getting wordy here and hope you'll welcome me to your "Plan" group.
Cher
Old 05-18-2003, 09:37 AM   #5  

Smile Welcome Cher

It will be great to have you with us. You and I sound about the same age. I will be 53 next month.

I have been on WW too (many times) I like the point counting. RIght now I am kind of bored with it. I am sort of thinking of trying something else. I know what I should be doing EXERCISING...but I loathe it all, walking, treadmilling, aerobic, etc...you name it and I hate it. THe other girls Ledom, CHeryl and Alice are all exerercisers though.

Do you have any pets?

Good morning everyone. All quiet here, just a nice spring day. No new diet news.

Last edited by judi; 05-18-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:56 AM   #6  

Angry Hello there.....

We are having a gorgeous weekend. SUN! SUN! SUN!

Yesterday DH made several trips to the dump unloading a lot of stuff, because starting next week they are going to start charging a fee for certain items that they previously took for free. I told DH that since he was making so many trips that he and the dump guys must be on a first name basis by now. I never realized how much junk we had accumulated.

Cher, welcome to our little group. This is a really nice group and I've made some really good friends. I'm glad that LA Weight Loss is working so well for you. I had been going to WW, but I got very tired of counting points, plus the last meeting I went to did nothing for me. I have regained some of the weight I lost, about 8 lb. and I am trying to find an eating plan that I can do. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

ledom, glad you had a good kayaking trip. I think it's so neat and a little eerie sitting on a body of water in the fog. When DH & I had our motor boat, we were driving it to the marina to take it out of the water for the season. It was a very foggy morning and it was so still the only sound you could hear was the fish jumping along the side of the boat. We were praying that there weren't any other boats out there. Thankfully there weren't.

judi, I've been wondering if I want to do a very low carb WOE. Lately eggs have been making me nausious in the mornings, but I feel much better after having cereal & fruit. I'm fine for the rest of the day without having carbs. I really think I need them in the morning. I think this Atkins is just for maintenance, but I believe you still can lose weight on it. Prevention also has a low carb WOE where I believe the most carbs you eat is 125g. Your flowers sound lovely. Our rhodos aren't out yet, possibly in a couple of weeks, which seems rather late, and our lilacs don't have buds on them yet. Usually they bloom towards the end of May.

Hi Cheryl, how are things going with you?

Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #7  

Thank you for the welcome. It's a beautiful day here in S. Florida too.

Judi, besides having our age in common, I hate to exercise--and no excuse with a Bowflex, treadmill, recumbant bike and umpteen Richard Simmons tapes setting in the back room. My husband nearly fell over yesterday when he found me on the treadmill. I'd gotten a lot of sun while boating yesterday and must have had a touch of heatstroke--desperately needed something cold and quick--he went into the quick stop and they were out of diet Coke, so got me regular. I tasted it and it was syrupy, but when I asked him, his expression was "would I get YOU regular?" but he said "I got regular." When I realized after drinking nearly all of it that it WAS regular--I felt like I'd blown a hole in my diet, which explains my sudden interest in the treadmill last night. Sometimes I really think he subconsciously undermines my efforts. I love my hubby--have a good relationship--but I could do without his ordering an ice cream sundae for lunch out when I'm eating salad. He just read this over my shoulder--of all times for him to come in! He just said--"they'll probably tell you to leave me." LOL He's a keeper.

Oh,yes--I have pets--TWO Jack Russell Terriers (now called Parson terriers, but since mine our both short legged and short coated they're probably still Jack Russells). They're a handful!

Aleka, you must have a Boston Terrier because of the picture. What pets do the rest of you enjoy? You mentioned Ledom kayaking. Though we haven't been but three times, we enjoy kayaking a lot. I've a picture of a lady kayaking on a pristine blue lake setting on my supposed to be cookbook stand in the kitchen. It's meant for inspiration--when I'm tempted in that room to eat. Had it hung by my treadmill--but it didn't get seen enough to do the job. My goal is to reach goal by November and reward myself with purchasing one.

So, I've heard from two WW programmers, what diet are the rest of you on and what other kinds of activities do you enjoy?

I really look forward to meeting and sharing with you. Have a great day. Cher
Old 05-19-2003, 09:34 AM   #8  

Thumbs down A good Monday morning to you all!

We really are having the most delightful weather. I am going on my walk after I finish this post.

I'm meeting my GF for lunch and some shopping this afternoon.

One of our neighbors stopped in, he's a part-time winter neighbor. He has bought a new car, the same as mine, and the exact same color, denim blue, which I'm not too thrilled about. He'll be getting the car in about 3 weeks, so I told DH that should be enough time for me to pick out my new RED convertible.

Cher, what part of FL are you from? My IL's rent a condo in Ft. Myers and DH & I go down for 2-3 weeks just about every winter. We love Florida. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your DH. Jack Russell Terriers are so cute! They must keep you going all the time. How old are they? Yep, that's my "baby" in my avatar. We only have her, and she is definitely a handful But, I love her just the same...she keeps me on my toes.

ledom, judi, Cheryl, hope you all had a great weekend.

Have a good day!
Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 AM   #9  
Chick

Default Hey guys,

Alice, I am so happy you are finally having pretty weather. You deserve it after the winter you experienced!

Welcome Cher, good to have you on board! First off, owning a kayak is a wonderful thing. Maybe you should go ahead and get it! Mine has helped me get stronger and if I had waited to reach a certain weight? Well I guess I'd still be waiting, but then that is me. Isn't it the most wonderful activity?

Tell us about the LA weightloss plan. I haven't heard of it.

I am mid-way through BRx which bases it's diet and exercise plan on strength training. It is similar to Body For Life which I have done over the last 6 months or so. I like it a lot. It sure doesn't set the world on fire in terms of losing quickly, but
I am getting stronger and firmer and am slowly making progress on the scale as well.

OK, Brody is making me crazy right now! He is manically crawling all over me and the computer - Bea has hidden from him and he is bored! A cute thing he does - he has that distinctive Siamese meow but every now and then he makes a noise that can only be described as a bark. It is so funny.

Back to what makes a diet work that you guys were talking about at the end of the last thread. My thought on that is that it has to be something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life because that is what it is going to take. That is why I think you should be careful about taking in really low levels of carbs. How long can you sustain that? My friend who was doing Atkins told me she was eating like 25 a day. I'd say that would be impossible to do for long. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I am finally going back in to work today to see what is up. Hope there are no surprises.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 AM   #10  

Hey ladies! Thought I was gonna get washed away this week-end. Man, rain is great, but enough is enough!!!!! Our poor rice farmers are gonna have so many levees to rebuild!

I have my second interview in Little Rock tomorrow. This one is for three job possibilities--Wynne, Morrilton and Ozark (Arkansas). Of the three, I'd like the Wynne job--close to the parents and Stewart. At the same time, though, there's a job open in Lewisville (on the LA border) that also enthralls me.

Cher--you asked what diet we're all on.....Sheesh, I guess I'd be what you'd call a professional diet jumper!! If you name it, I've done it (except for surgery and anything illegal ) It's great to have you join in our group! There's also a LAWL thread on this forum, too, if you wanna check it out! I've never been there myself--happy here

Ledom, did y'all get any rain in Hot Springs? Ugh. It's gonna be SO humid when the sun finally comes out! Nothing new about that, though, I guess!

Alice, the car story. It figures....Doesn't it usually happen that way?

Judi, how's life treatin ya? Still enjoying the DH? I'm sure the answer is YES!!! I've used Xenical, too. I actually like it. I'm not sure that it actually does anything as far as weight loss, but I think it's kind of cool that it keeps all that fat from being absorbed. Plus it makes me think about what I eat!

Catch y'all later!

Cheryl
Old 05-19-2003, 07:53 PM   #11  

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your warm welcome and look forward to your continued diet support. I've questions though:

What is Xenical?

Are Brody and Bea both Siamese? Have enjoyed two siamese before this dog stint. They're my fav felines.

The red convertible comment (sweet revenge?) had me chuckling, Alice. You spoke of visiting Ft. Myers 2-3 weeks each winter. Wouldn't it be great to touch base when you're down our way! That's where I go for my LA weigh-in each week, and our timeshare is in Port Charlotte just north of there.

I had checked out the LAWL thread, but somehow the group didn't seem to "fit" what I was looking for so I never posted. I'm glad to be here! Answering your question about LA (and I know nothing about BRx) it is a lot like WW but more restrictive--I miss my peanut butter and pizza and ... You journal and count your 2P, 4V, 3Fruit, 2Starches, 1 dairy, and 1 fat--plus they promote the LA Lite bars for midmorning and afternoon. Some people do without them and save the expense--but they're SOOOO good!

Well my DH is waiting to watch a video--and fixing me my glass of ice water (8 glasses a day always like every other diet)--so I'd best wish you all a good night and a great coming week.
Cher
Old 05-20-2003, 06:22 AM   #12  

Default ITSA ME...judi

Hi! For some reason my password etc. didn't work and I had an old email address so it looks like I will be "Esteban" from now on.
I might as well be, we have started calling the cat "Ginzu" like the knives because of his lethal and always ready toenails so he isn't using the name. You should see our collection of scratches...we can't resist tickling his fat pad on his tummy, it is the size of a brillo pad and he doesn't like anyone touching it.

I wonder if it will change my personality??? Hey, maybe "Esteban (unlike judi) loves exerecise and hates pizza??? I can dream...

I have been reading bits of the Atkin's book online at Amazon, hmmm...I wonder if I should do that. Are you going to do it Alice?

Xenical is a perscription drug (that isn't paid for by most drug companies, in Canada it is about $100.00 a month) and it traps fat and excretes about 1/3 of it. If you don't eat much fat anyway it won't make much diff. Plus, if you eat a lot of fat...hmmm, how can I put this in a ladylike and refined way...you get the "runny poops"...maybe I could have been more genteel but you know what I mean. I don't think it is worth it. I took it for a few months and didn't see any diff. except to my wallet. But like Cheryl says it is a very good way to see really how much fat you are eating and it does get rid of some of it and that can't be bad.

Good luck with your job interviews Cheryl.

What an ANNOYING neighbor BUT they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", so Alice take as a compliment for your GOOD taste in motor vehicles.

Where there any suprises at work Ledom? Hope everything will be tidied up quick so you can GET ON with summer holidays. Brody sounds like a real sweetheart.

Give Laci a big kiss on the mush for me Alice

ps: with my hair streaked and all...I actually do look quite a bit like that cat on the left.

Last edited by esteban; 05-20-2003 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:36 AM   #13  

Thumbs down Good morning....

It was 85 deg. here yesterday. YES! Don't know how long it's going to stay, possibly today or tomorrow, then reality settles in again. SIGH!

Cher, I know Port Charlotte. My late aunt lived in Venice for many years and I visited her before and after I got married. DH & I used to frequent Charlotte Square Mall, or Charlotte Townhouse Mall, (I know it's something like that). We drove from Ft Myers to Venice this year, via Rte. 41 and stopped at that mall, as we hadn't been there in quite a few years. It seemed awfully empty from what we remembered. What a small world. It would be nice to hook up. Do you get enough to eat on the LAWL? Yes, the red convertible is my revenge, PLUS my mid-life crisis.

ledom, Brody sounds like a handful. That's when they're the most adorable, I think. We had a cat once we got at the Humane Soc. and she was a devil. She could open cabinet doors, and in the middle of the night she'd be slamming them. DH & I were tired a lot! It's funny you should mention about doing a diet for the rest of your life. I was thinking along those lines myself. That was one of the reasons I stopped WW because I just couldn't see myself counting points for the rest of my life and wondered why I thought counting carbs would be any different. I did some soul searching, and the only thing I can do for the rest of my life is to eat a balanced meal, weigh and measure my portions (which has become a habit anyway), try to move more, and not follow any one particular plan because then I become obsessed with what I can and cannot eat. Can you see yourself doing BRx for life?

Cheryl, has it stopped raining yet? I can sympathize with you about the rain. Are you still planning on your New England trip this summer? Best of luck with your job interviews.

judi, haven't heard from you in awhile. Whatcha been up to?

Have a good day.

Last edited by aleka; 05-20-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:47 AM   #14  

Default Hey Estaban....

Or should I say Ginzu? I think we were posting at the same time.
My GF told me the same thing yesterday when I told her about my neighbor getting the exact same car as me. At least he is here only part time, he works up here a few days, and travels to Boston and works there a few days.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:27 AM   #15  
Chick

Default Morning girls,

Ha, ha, when I saw Estaban on the notification e-mail I knew something was up. Well, it fits but I will always think of you as judi. We should compare scratch and bite marks judi. D & and are looking like we got caught in a briar patch since Brody came to live with us.

On Atkins. I read something last night over at lean and strong that makes me think it isn't the best way to lose weight though maybe it is the quickest. One of the things I love about our little thread is that it doesn't get preachy about what one should or shouldn't do. If you are interested in this opinion I read over there though I can quote it to you.

Good question about BRx Alice. No, not BRx per se, but I do think a similar switching around. I like the finite time frame that both BRx and BFL give and I think after the 6 mo. of BRx I might do BFL again. I like strength training and I can see myself doing this for a long time, there are a lot of approaches to eating to support weight training so I think there will be some variety of diets to follow within this general framework. I have been thinking more about yoga here lately. I have an advanced yoga video - Power Yoga - it is called, that I took out this week and watched. It is so beyond me now but I can imagine trying, at some point, taking a break from lifting and doing yoga. And oh, on that training for a 5k plan? Well, I have already decided not to do it. This time of year I get more time to hike and kayak and I'd rather do those activities 2 or 3 times a week instead. And just one more thing about why I think I'll be able to stick to this WOE, I eat a lot of food. I am never hungry, and I can hardly believe it but I have stopped having cravings for weekly pizza. That has taken about 6 months to develop.

Ah Alice, work I didn't do anything except clear my desk. The disaster repair people are still there. They have all my stuff stacked up neatly in boxes and the area cleared to do repairs. It just didn't seem like the right time to pull things out and go through them. My boss told me she would talk to the muckety mucks and find out when exactly they need my list of losses. It just seems like something I should wait on for a while. Not a problem now that I have had a week off to recover from the trauma of it all. I can see myself dealing with in in July sometime.

One more fun thing. D tried out for and got a part in a play that the local theatre is producing this summer. It is "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", have you all seen it? I haven't, but I know this will be a lot of fun for her. She got a chorus part as a courtasand.
Closed Thread