General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Holly-maybe before I tear out these bushes and re-do the yard with Jason-I will take a pic of one and email it to you...there is such a thing as an ugly bush-trust me.
I can also relate about your kids, husband, etc. wanting all of teh junk at the grocery store. I usually go alone, because if they are all with me, we spend an average of $20 more each time! I get them their treats, but I am selective about it-buying them the brand of chips that are on sale, using coupons, etc. but when they are all with me...well, you know how it is!
My stepmother cam eand got the kids tonight, and Jason and I went out for dinner at the IHOP-I did very well and avoided all fatty breakfast meats and bypassed the pancakes and french toast! I ordered off the dinner menu and had the grilled fish-requested that it be prepared with no added butter or oil, a baked potato with the butter on the side-this way I can use only a teaspoon or two, rather than them slather 2-3 tablespoons on it-and a side of steamed broccoli-dinner out for only 500-600 calories! My total today was only 1315...a little on the low side for me, I like to stay around 1500-1600.
Silence-I love the Kashi cereals as well...I just bought a new cereal that is in the health food section, the brand is "Barbara's." It seems to be very close to Kashi-high soy protein, high fiber, low calorie-no added sugar, etc. I will see if it is any good and let you all know.
Well, it is after midnight-better get some sleep-talk to everyone in the morning!
Aphil
Old 03-22-2003, 10:07 AM   #317  

Aphil--I misx the Barbara's with my kashi and a tablespoon of raisins every morning! They tend to be a little more caloric than the kashi, but I only pour less than a 1/4 cup into my bowl. The variety in consistency is nice.
It's a beautiful day here in the northeast. DH and I are doing our taxes (ugh) and hope to go outside!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #318  

What kind of Barbara's cereal do you have? They had 3 kinds at our store-the kind I bought almost looks like Kashi Good Friends-with the different flakes and bits-it has 90 calories a serving in it.
Jason and I have the day to ourselves-let's see how much we can accomplish today without the children around! I am hoping to get some errands done, as well as a couple of spring cleaning things, and finishing a few last minute mending jobs...and if it is not TOO cold, maybe get a start on the landscaping-getting all of the old mulch shoveled out so we can remove the bushes.
I also plan on having a nice quiet yoga session today...
Aphil
Old 03-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #319  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Happy Sunday everyone!

'Nola - way to go, girl!!! down another 1.5 pounds! That is so great. Yes, so soon you will kiss the 150's goodbye!

Aphil, only if it isn't any trouble, but I would love to see the ugly bushes Awesome job on ordering a dinner out with so few calories!!!

That is something I will really need to focus on during our road trip, where every meal will be "out" for a week. I am thinking that I will be able to make careful choices, as I KNOW that when I have a big serving of food, or any fatty/rich food, it makes me feel sludgy and sleepy afterwards - definitely NOT what I want when I am riding that 'cycle. We just won't have enough space for me to pack anything more than a couple pieces of fruit, and fruit/grain bars for each day, so I'll just have to be careful.

I am hoping that my weigh-in on Friday (145) was influences by TOM - I will be anticipating (thinking positively, aren't I ) the needle to be to the left of that number this week!

Oh! Aphil, if you develop a "Sneaky Mom Trick of the Month", this should nominate me!.My kids have been spoiled, in a good way, by the wonderful, large, perfect apples at the grocery store, the loose ones you can choose per piece. However, they can be quite large, and I'm trying to teach the boys that YES, an apple is a wonderful healthy snack, but even a large apple is too many calories, if you're already in excess of calories...but the boys are picky, and won't touch the smaller apples that come in a 3 or 5 pound bag...

SO, I bought the bagged apples, helped myself to an empty produce bag and twist tie; then once home, before anyone saw, emptied the bagged apples from their printed bag into the other produce bag...then told the boys that I got special diet sized apples They thought they were nifty! What is that saying, something like treachery and old age will beat youthfulness and inexperience -

Well, I need to choose a video for the day - I think it will be cheesy Greg Smithy ("let's PUSH those cheeseburgers out of those thighs! and those french fries! and that carrot cake!") - my 12-yr.old said to me, "yeah, Mom, I want some carrot cake, will you push some out of your thighs for me?" (at least he didn't say - well, you know! )

Drink your water, ladies! and exercise, and think of the warm summer days to come, when we will all be more fit and trim!

Your friend, Holly
Old 03-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #320  

Holly-that is so funny about the apples...I know what you mean about the single apples-the really big ones that are like 2-3 servings instead of one...Our store actually sells perfect smaller sized ones, for 3 for $1. I usually get those, but get the bagged if they are on sale. My husband is picky about his apples in a different way-he likes Washington apples over Michigan ones. There really is a slight difference in texture-the Washington tend to be crisper in texture and a little zippier, and the Michigan ones tend to be a touch sweeter and have a slightly grainier texture. Luckily, we had some great sales last week-big bags of Wash. apples for $1.99, bananas 3 pounds for $1, and cantalaupes 2/$3-so we have been eating plenty of fruit. We actually went and got some seeds to plant a little tiny garden plot in the backyard this year-radishes, sweet corn, cantalaupes, and sugar baby watermelons. It will be nice to possibly have some fresh fruit that we have grown ourselves this summer and fall! More work, but much cheaper for the food in the end-plus it will be a nice learning experience for the kids to learn how to garden.
We are getting ready to go out to dinner with my dad and stepmom-wish me luck on finding a low calorie choice-I don't know where we are eating yet...
Aphil
Old 03-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #321  

Hello Everyone! Hope everyone had a great week-end!

I went shopping this week-end and bought some clothes for the upcoming vacation. I actually bought 2 bikinis! They are really bright colors and my husband loved them, so I am pleased.

I am going through a period of self acceptance now. I am usually so critical of myself but I am trying to change that. My mindset used to be....I'll do that for myself or buy those clothes AFTER I lose some weight. I just decided after some soul searching that this is the body I have NOW. No, it may not be as little as I would like for it to be, but it's all I've got...so I better take care of it! Anyways, a little self reflection.

Aphil, I have been wanting to start a garden but never have. Truth is, I dont even know where to start! Maybe that can be a fun project for me this summer. Something different.

One last thing, I know that I stated that I was only going to weigh once a week and I slipped this morning and had to check it out. But suprisingly I am down to 151! I was 154 on Friday, but we had gone out the night before and I had gorged myself on some chips and salsa, so I was thinking that some of the salt had made me retain some water. So I guess it did! So I am with you Nola!! I cant wait to hit the 140s!

I'll be going to the gym tonight. It's funny because I've really been pumped up about it lately! I've been doing some extra weights and have that good sore feeling the day after. It makes me feel like I've accomplished something!

Well, I've got to get back to work. Everyone have a wonderful day!
Old 03-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello gals

I had my official Monday morning weigh-in today... down another 2 pounds to 170.5! One more pound and I'm back in the 160s! (I remember hitting the 140s just a year ago ).

Congrats to everyone else whose had a loss this week!

I agree with buying clothes for NOW.. to a point... I was having a ball buying them when I was 150.. but now, at 170, not so much.. Once I'm back down to 150s, I may get back to that but for now.. I'm going to live in my old clothes!!

So, thats my news for today...

Christine
174/170.5/130
Mini-goal: 169
Old 03-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #323  

Default weekend

I'm glad you had a good weekend Jacklyn. I hope everyone did too. I had ups and downs this weekend.

First, I had and incredible urge to snack myself silly on Friday. But I was able to supress it. I just kept telling myself. 4 more hours till bedtime, 3 more, etc. It worked. And I felt good the next day.

On Saturday, my husband and I went on a 7 mile walk/jog. Which I was happy about, but he kept trying to push me to run more than walk and it was getting on my nerves. Then later that day, he kept making negative comments...later he explained he was trying to appeal to my competitive side. Told him I don't have a competitive side and his comments were bringing me down and I didn't want to run with him again.

So Sunday, guess what I did? I ate and ate and ate. Didn't record one calorie. I know I could have stop myself, but I just didn't want to. Good thing is that there is not much junk food in the house and I'm flat broke. So I couldn't go out and get a big mac. I'm not sure how this day is going to go, haven't made up my mind.

Anyway, I hope everyone was more diligent than me!

Missy
Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #324  

Hi everyone!
Jacklyn and Christine-congrats on the weight lost! Jacklyn-you are so right about accepting your body the way it is, even while trying to improve it-there is no reason to wait until you are where you want to be before treating yourself to new clothes-get them now, while they still have some cute bikinis in the stores!
missymont-I totally feel for you with your husband. They try so hard to be helpful sometimes, but they can be just clueless oafs. My husband loves me thin or heavy, and he is so totally confident, he can jokingly push out his belly or rub his lovehandles in front of me and think it is funny...he doesn't understand why I don't have the same jolly reaction when he comes up behind me while I am doing dishes and playfully pinches my triceps...(one of my biggest problem areas after going up the baby fat ladder twice now...) I have told him that it makes me mad, not because I think he is making fun of me, but because I have been doing so much tricep work, and they are so slow to respond-and when he does that, it is just a reminder that they are still flabby! Jason is a "picker" by nature...he is the type that finds out that something bothers me or the kids, and he has plenty of fun doing that thing over and over again...some days if I am in a good mood it is great-but other days I would like to strangle him.
Please continue to walk with your husband, but let him know at another time, like at dinner or sometime AWAY from walking with him, very almly that it really bothers you when he pushes you so much during workouts. You know your body's limits best-not him.
Well, my weight is the same today..arrgh...I am looking into getting a body fat scale or caliper to start taking my body fat measurements each month-I would like to concentrate on those changes, as well as the measurements I am already taking monthly.
I am bunkering down on my eating plan this week...I am going to be in the 170's very soon. I am going to pretty much get rid of treat foods, processed foods, and stick to fruits, veggies, lean protein, and a few whole grain carbs like Kashi for the next few days and see if I can burst through this little plateau!
Aphil
Old 03-24-2003, 09:57 AM   #325  
Student of the Hoof

Aphil - Your husband sounds very much like my BF. Right now I'm at the "I want to strangle him" stage.

Of course, right now I'm so totally desperate to get down below the 200 mark that I'm probably not really pleasant to be around anyway. *sigh* I know I shouldn't be so focused on a number, and I'm not usually. But that particular number is just ... really important. And I'm so close. And I'm working so hard, and I'm SO OP. And I wake up and the scale hasn't moved and I want to find the nearest sledgehammer and beat the scale into little teensy weensie pieces.

There are too many other things negative going on right now, and since that would be a very large positive, I'm attaching WAY too much importance to it. What I really need to do is start addressing some of those other issues, getting them out of the way, so I'm not feeling so overwhelmed.

*twitch* Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #326  

Just finished painting the garage door...it now matches the front door and shutters...I think I am going to count that as my upper body workout for the day, and just do my abs and lower body...because I cannot move my shoulders.
Aphil
ps-Raventoy-I totally understand being so obsessed with your weight when other things in life seem so out of control. Just try to get the other things done/worked out and out of the way-one thing at a time. You will feel much better. That garage door has been on my to do list for almost a year...I am feeling very productive right about now!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #327  

Congrats to everyone's weight loss-way to go!!! We spent the weekend with my fat and eat-more-fat in-laws- nothing at any time was low-fat, can you believe people who don't make a salad or even a plain veggie?? For supper they had fried hotdogs with fried potatoes, cheese and salami, and doritos and dip! And of course a huge bowl of chocloate miniture candy bars!!! Well, I weigh-in tonight to see how bad it really was- (I did have some cheese and salami-along with three lite beers). The good news is, I joined Curves and worked out twice last week and plan on doing it every day this week. My job has been **** and it's only Monday!! I've already heard every sob story in the county! If tonight's weight loss is non-existant I might just break down and cry for the group....my aren't I uplifting today??? Sorry girls, cheer me up with your great successes and tips and support!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:59 PM   #328  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Unhappy Warning... long post

Hey everyone!!

Way to go Jacklyn on the clothing purchase!! Woohoo! I have been going through very similar thoughts. I bought some nice clothes for work, and when I put on the new pants or skirt and they are loose, it is a great feeling. The closet clean happened again this weekend, and I have put the clothes that are too big away. The small clothes I brought with me from Canada are heading towards the other closet too….Our bike club is having a shopping day in June where we have hired a bus to take us to factory outlets that you can’t go to on your own, only through these tours so I am going to hold out until then and take some of my ‘savings’ for a day of shopping!!!

I have been holding off the purchase of bike leathers until I reach my goal weight. My current gear is cordura, pretty awesome stuff but still not leathers. They fit fine when I was 170+ but now that I am on the verge of breaking through the 150’s…. they are not so fine. Very baggy and I feel so frumpy in them. I am going to stick it out, because altering leather is expensive!! Cordura is also wet weather gear to a point, so I will keep them and hopefully be able to wear my leathers underneath when necessary!! How awesome would that be???

As far as hubby goes…..I have the opposite problem…. My hubby is a morning person and loves to go to the gym before work. It is great motivation to have someone remind you to pack your gym bag the night before and to literally drag you out of bed kicking and screaming at 5:40 every morning. I love him to bits for that. We don’t talk to each other in the car either until we get near the gym, he is secretly scared of the non-morning person he married. When it comes to food, he has been really supportive of the WW menus and now asks for his favourites when I am planning the week and doing the shopping. He has also started taking healthy leftovers for lunches and really watching what is in the house as far as junk food too. In fact, last week I had the worst chocolate craving and there was NOTHING in the house except for some WW hot chocolate. Even though the supermarket and 7-11 are within walking distance, I was too tired to make the hike. Survived the binge!! He will make a comment about a woman he saw at the gym who was really fit and looked great, comes over to me gives me a huge hug and says to me that I am well on my way to looking that great. I have always been ‘blessed’ with really muscular calf muscles (that just looked large with the extra weight) and now that they are getting leaner and more defined, I find him commenting on how great they look. I know that they are a hard muscle to develop and that I am genetically blessed with calves that respond instantly to exercise, it is just nice to hear that I am getting results. Some times I get annoyed with him when I have a bad week and he over analyses it for me telling me where I went wrong. Then I get aggro at him and we have one of our gggrrrrrrr moments.

On the topic of comments by people…. I have a funny situation to bring up. One of my friends is doing WW with me, she is just the most fantastic friend ever… we are actually working at the meetings now, I am training to be a weight recorder (I get free meetings now, how awesome is that!!) and she is training to be the person taking the money and selling the stock at the meetings. In a couple of months we will switch and learn the other job. When we go to dinner together, we are always comparing points for meals, cooking dinner using WW recipes, etc. It is fantastic.

I have another friend who is so negative about the whole thing. When I was shopping for my wedding suit last year… she would make comments about what would be flattering, what would not (most things in the stores as I was over 180 lbs at that time) etc. Well… she was not that much smaller than I was…. In fact, her dress (she was a witness/bridesmaid) was the same size as my suit!!! Crickey mates she drove me nuts!! To make a long story short, she has made some very rude comments about my loss and they have really hurt me. Her husband and her were in Canada with us over Christmas, and I had found an awesome pair of jeans at a factory outlet but the zipper was broken. The only size/style they had but it felt sooooo awesome to fit into a slim fitting Canadian size 10 (aussie sizes are bigger 10 US/Can is Aus 12). She made the comment that losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is the real test. Ok. Fair comment. But when there are daggers being shot at you and you are expected to fail at the journey, it is a pretty harsh comment. The trip to Canada with them was a total disaster. They were with us for 5 days and it was difficult to say the least. I had a great time the rest of the trip!!!

Since then, every time we see them, it is a rough go. I cooked dinner one night using a WW recipe for the entrée and the main, and then they brought over a cheesecake for dessert. When I took a very thin slice for a taste, I got comments…. When they see me eat something that may not be on plan, I get comments. It is getting more and more difficult to be around them. We have a social movie night every 2 weeks where our friends come around, get take out food and watch a DVD. Well….. since it is at our house… I have stopped ordering take out food, cooking something healthy and my hubby eats what I do, by his own choice. I also do a combat class after work so I show up late by about half an hour. No big deal to the rest of the gang. They tease me about taking combat classes (like tae bo) and go ahead and eat their Indian/Thai/Pizza etc that they order. But… the other two are making comments about how rude I am to invite people over and then show up late. Tuesday nights were a tradition LONG before I moved here, so my presence to entertain ‘guests’ is really not an issue. I could go on and on with examples like these where hurtful comments have been made.

I guess what I am asking you all is if you have run into a situation where someone is not ‘nice’ about changes you have made. Or someone that is clearly jealous of your success, and how you handle it. I am really having a hard time with this person and her husband is my hubby’s very good friend!!!

Sorry for such a long post…. But I needed to see what you guys think…..

Nola.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:46 AM   #329  

'Nola, you poor thing! But, as I'm sure you're going to find, we all have that person in our lives. Mine is my sister-in-law. Granted, I HAVE lost before and gained it all back, but for her to say out loud, "We all know you can loose it, but you've never been able to keep it off." OUCH!! My mother always taught me that if you don't have something nice to say...
My SIL has also made comments like "When you're not a diet, we'll have to go this great restaurant" and "Have you gotten rid of all your old clothes? How do you know you won't need them again?" I could almost cry thinking about her comments.
But, 'Nola, remember, you didn't do it for them and you will continue to do it in spite of them. Keep your chin up!

Aphil--I kept forgettting to check the box. I eat Barbara's bite size shredded oats. They come in a blue box.

I hope everyone has a great day! I saw lots of fat robins on my walk this morning!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #330  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good Morning everyone!!

First, YAY to Christine, down another TWO pounds!!! You're well on your way!

And to Jacklyn, that you are down a bit more even from a few days ago! Congrats on the two bikinis! I'm sure you look great in them; your husband thinks so!

missymont - first, GOOD JOB on resisting your snacking urge last Friday...you said how good you felt that you resisted...remember that good, in-control feeling the next time it attacks. I have literally gone to bed early to resist that urge; and not just in the beginning of this venture; I still have to do that occasionally!

We know your husband was just "trying to help" when he was needling you to push on; poor dears, they try in their own way. Also when you mentioned him analyzing stuff; they don't realize when we tell them what's bugging us, we don't necessarily want them to provide solution; just want to know that they're sympathetic to us. But wow! a 7-mile walk-hike is GREAT!

Aphil - you are inspiring to me for helping to pare off these pounds! Fruits, veggies, lean meats, no treats, and a few whole grain carbs plus our regular work-outs is EXACTLY what I should be doing, also. I will try my best!!!

RavenToy - ugh, plateaus are SO hard to work through. You CAN tell yourself that you are doing exactly what you should be doing - counting calories, drinking lots of water and regular exercise; so you are doing your best and it WILL show...

Idealperson - congrats on joing Curves!! and for resisting the not-so-healthy food at the dinner out It's very hard when there aren't any good choices offered, isn't it?

Kanola - hi! Loved your "long post"! I'd say holding off on the leathers is a good idea; not that you're putting off until you have the "ideal" body, but yes, 'cause altering leathers is expensive. That would be VERY cool to have the textiles to wear over the leathers to weather-proof them!!

About your non-supportive friend - sigh - what a drag. Obviously, she yearns to do what you have done/are doing, but she can't, and is resentful. It is a darned shame. There are only a few routes that you can take; still have her as a "friend", and try to let the comments roll off; speak to her about her comments, and how they hurt you; gradually remove yourself from her company. They're not great options, 'cause they all involve YOU doing actions that you shouldn't have to; but seeing that her husband is a good friend of your husbands, that makes it difficult. I feel for you, girl!!

I've had a couple of people say, "well, don't lose too much!" and my sister, who would love to be less than a size 18 but won't do anything to work towards that, will say to our mom, in front of me, "jeez, look how skinny Holly is, she had no more butt" which maybe is a compliment in her mind, but not in my mind! Also have a friend who has been battling her weight all her life, and says, like in a warning tone, "don't lose too much now Holly, you don't want to be obsessive about this".

Weight is SUCH a big issue for so many of us; and for those of us who are accomplishing what we need to do, there are friends/family who haven't reached that decision to help themselves, and are jealous/resentful/bitter/mean. It's a shame, but true...

(more motorcycle talk to 'Nola from me - I've ordered all kinds of stuff for our trip, which is in 33 days! Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, and a Joe Rocket Jacket {for MY wet weather gear} - windshield, "Throttle Rockers", new pair of boots {Dingo Biker Boots}, and bike covers! cool!! )

Hello to everyone else! Nancy, still think of you every day, and hope that the move is going/gone well!

Have a great day all!

Your friend, Holly
Closed Thread