General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #91  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I can see having to count when you get closer towards your goal. At this point, I'm still 30-40lbs away, and I know myself well enough to know that if I'm too strict with myself, I'll rebel against it all. It sounds stupid, but it's what I've learned the hard way in the past.

I've discovered that I use food as an emotional crutch, and volumetrics is helpful there, because I can feel satiated without relying on higher calorie food to get that same feeling. I need to be more consistent and more vigorous with my exercise. I have a huge problem with migraines, and use them as an excuse for not exercising a lot. There's a fine line between vigorous exercise and vigorous exercise that triggers a migraine, and I'm still trying to find that line. It's easier to avoid it, but in the long run I won't ever make my goal if I don't take risks and find that line.

In the meantime, at least I'm eating healthier, and I'm so happy that summer's coming because then the veggie choices get so much better!
ArtCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I have a similar case with "the line". My vigor kept me marching towards my goal and later was going to be my crutch to allow me to binge eat. With the loss of vigorous exercise, I had to find a new and less forgiving line.

My line is how high of an impact in aerobics can I do before I start irritating my sciatica and knees. But it's coupled with my general need to have a high expectation of myself for self care--night care for my joints with sit-ups, my day care for calorie burn and fitness, eating mostly very well with some flexibility on occassion.

I think of the counting as rigorous attention. I want to try to make my eating more organic--not so "rigorous". I dabble with the idea that maybe I can just be what some of my friends are--generally, naturally healthy. But then, I wonder if that's ignoring my addiction issues with food and overeating. I still over eat but now I wait so many days before I can get away with a meal (or couple days) with low cost to weight gain. Or I can be generally, naturally healthy but just have to have more mindfulness with that.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hi Liz, et al! OMG, I haven't stopped in here in several weeks - imagine my delight to find postings again! I have gone up in numbers, but refuse to change my profile (stubborn and in denial) - I know that I'll get back down into the 180's...

I am busy out in the garden and the yard - digging, pushing full wheelbarrows of topsoil, raking...it feels SO GOOD to get my hands in the dirt!

Welcome to our newest Volumetrics "converts" - it got me started on this latest trip backwards through the numbers on my scale, and I use it combined with calorie counting (FItDay). I started in the upper 220's, so it does work!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #94  
Liz

Hi judipurple! Yes, I crept up, too, over the winter, but I previously never changed my numbers here, so in the end I've come up even. Thankfully, it's always easier when the weather gets better and the fresh local produce comes in, so I'm ready to give it another go! We don't even have our veggie garden planted yet, though, so I guess that needs to be step 1.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #95  

Just thought I'd jump in here as I am doing The Diet Denominator and can't find any other threads on caloric density on ANY websites. Amazing!

I am slowly losing weight. This plan is truly a blessing. I have about 60 pounds to lose. Can't believe I let myself go so badly.
LittleElla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #96  

P.S. Prior to this I was following an Atkins-type plan. Never again!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #97  

Hi everyone,
I also crept up on numbers and was doing well to get back down until last week. I took a post-grad research course this term ("for fun!" I kept telling myself). The submission was due yesterday so this past week I lived research and writing at all hours constantly. I am sore from no exercise & yoga, also gained a bit back as I gave myself permission to eat anything at any hour. In the "what have we learned about all this" category, when given full permission to do anything I didn't have time or interest to do that bad. So, I'm actually kind of glad.

Anyway, I'm looking for new food tricks. Did I say that I'm a fan of DRY salads?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #98  

Another...

I started my message this morning but was too busy to send until now. I see LittleElla's message and just wanted to say hello.

I also enjoy caloric density. I love www.nutritiondata.com which started me first on density before I read Barbara Rolls' book. It gives thorough nutrition on food. Because I don't eat packaged foods, I am always looking for calorie sites that will give nutrition for natural-form goods.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #99  

Thanks for the hello!

I thought I'd jump in here and ask how everyone is following the Volumetrics concept. I know there are many ways. Jenny Craig uses Volumetrics principles with their prepared foods. Weight Watchers now has their "Simply Filling Technique" whereby most of your foods are eaten off a list of foods low in caloric density. I know some folks still count calories, making good use of low energy density foods.

I'd say my plan, The Diet Denominator, is closest to Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique, because practically all my foods have a low caloric density. I don't weigh, measure or count anything. But I do use the energy density formula of dividing calories by grams per serving, to see how the food fits in the energy density scale. If it's too high I just don't eat it or will only eat a tiny portion.

What technique are all of you using?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #100  

Nice question to ponder. So, let's see. I have never been on any organized or structured plans. I started Jan 09 with a three year plan. My first year goal was to be extremely strict until goal achieved with a 1350 cal a day schedule of food based on Barbara Rolls' book. Since I live for quantity of food, this was perfect. I filled up a plate with so many low cal density food, I was usually quite happy. Her plan also suggested eating every few hours (I now always eat four meals a day). I was also strict to write all food down with its food group category and calorie.

One big issue for me is portion control and realistic understanding of what I actually need to keep my body performing (i.e., a massive pile of fries does not equate to well fed body). It took me about a month to believe that Barbara Rolls' philosophy of eating lots of lettuce actually keeps hunger at bay. But I was convinced after living with this style of eating. I usually over estimated or rounded up calories.

In the beginning, I exercised 3-4 times a week at home with a dvd (aerobics and toning) but I also biked and walked all the time. I tracked how much calories I burned but almost never counted my walking and underestimated everything. Later, I exercised 4-5 times a week at home plus outside recreation.

When determining my baseline need of calories, I selected a sedentary lifestyle category. This made my inactive calorie need at 1800 to 2000 a day. Since I was almost never "in active", I really felt like I probably was burning 2000-2200 a day.

What is interesting is that I over estimated calories of food, underestimated calories burned and also figured a low number for my baseline daily need. But I generally lost one and a half pounds a week from January to August 15 (7 1/2 months). So I had a 750 deficit each day. But according to my math, I really thought I had a much higher deficit. I found that my then 42 year old body metabolism may have been chugging a bit slower than expected. So, I'm glad that I was able to increase the intensity of my diet and exercise plan over the months to make goal. I don't think I would have been able to tolerate a slowly down of weight loss.

I think I learned that I need to pretty much keep to a 1350 daily calorie burn, be really active, and keep treats to the miniumum--for life. I also know that every 4-6 months I'll need to do a mini-plan for a little while to get back on track, eliminate "sneak in" food that I over do, and generally stay near my goal weight.

My research class is over and I'm looking forward to three months until I finish a full year at (around) my goal. So, I really want to focus on my general health, goal weight with enjoyment, and finding more ways to incorporate volumetrics in to daily eating.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #101  

iara, it sounds like you have a great plan, really well thought out. I am so glad you found something that works for you. You should be really proud of yourself.

Because I am through with counting calories - for me personally it never worked long term - the longest I ever kept off my weight by counting calories/points/and or food exchanges was 1 1/2 years. I just couldn't keep it up longer than that. To me it was sheer drudgery. But I know that overeating, even low caloric density food, is not helpful. So I am also using the techniques in Paul Mckenna's book I Can Make you Thin to help me. I really love this book. It is not revolutionary, nothing new; Geneen Roth and others who specialize in overeating have all said it before (get in touch with your hunger/satiety feelings, etc). But what is revolutionary is the simplicity of this program. No psychobabble or long diatribes on emotional eating. The book just tells you what you need to do. Period. I really appreciate that.

Hopefully the Diet Denominator combined with my techniques I learned in Paul McKenna's program will help me keep off the weight for good. I should add that I'm 56 and a VERY slow loser. But I've made peace with that. I'm in this for life.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #102  

P.S. don't get me wrong - believe me, I'm a volume eater too. No doubt about it! That's what's so great about Volumetrics! But I do have problems with stuffing myself and eating out of boredom, stress, etc. So McKenna's book really helps with that.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #103  
Liz

Thanks for the new book recommendation, LittleElla- I've always found it very helpful to read new books and roll new ideas around. It seems to keep the conversation current and in the forefront. I seem to lose steam when I vegetate and go on auto-pilot.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #104  

Yes, me too. Glad for another viewpoint. I guess I need to keep reading the same thing over and over. So, "not revolutionary" means that it's based in reality and basically the same solid advise we know but in a new voice. I agree with ArtCat. I also need to keep this life fresh. That first six months (Jan to June 2009) was awesome because I have Prevention magazine, 3FC, Barbara Rolls, and other sites. I was constantly looking up nutrition info on nutritiondata.com and other sites. After a while, I just wasn't getting anything new.

I wouldn't knock anyone who's not counting calories. I seem to still need it to keep me on track because I feel still kind of "novice" when it comes to portion size and food. More often now I pretty much know what foods I eat, know the portion size by eye-balling it, and can combine with others to make out a meal. So, I'm sort of not counting calories but still am--since its more ingrained. Now that I'm buckling down again, I'm heading back to being strict with myself. The bonus for being strict means that I will make my meals at home and save money on take out. (I've found a few local places that serve a meal within my allowed calorie goals--400 or 800).
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #105  

I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was knocking folks who count calories. No way, in fact I wish I could still have the determination to do so - but I guess after a lifetime of dieting I've had it with tallying numbers all day! If you would have told me I'd feel this way 20 years ago I'd say "no way". I guess I'm just tired.

I believe if you have the determination to count calories and it is successful, then stick with it! Whatever it takes. Unfortunately for me it's not an option any more. That is just my personal experience. I'm giving this way of eating a try. I've decided I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and what I've learned from The Diet Denominator for one full year! If nothing else I'm eating healthier and definitely lowering my calories, even if I'm not counting them.

I think there's room enough for everyone here - I was just voicing my own personal frustration. 56 years old and still fat! We all need to do what it takes - and it's so neat that the Volumetrics concept is a great baseline to start with.

I'm really glad we have this thread.