General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #16  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

iaradajnos- congratulations on your success! What about exercise? How much of a part has that played in your weight loss?

gail- do you eat whole wheat pastas, or just any? I've switched everything over to whole grain, but have noticed a big difference in the taste of the whole wheat brands. Some seem a little bitter, but I'm OK with the texture.
ArtCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have tried the whole wheat. I think the stuff I have is Ronzoni, but I'm not sure. I don't mind it, but I don't love it either. I usually just eat a measured serving of the regular stuff. Also, to have it come out good you have to pay more attention to it while cooking. Sometimes this is beyond my scope. LOL.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #18  

Hi everyone!

I got my Book The Diet Denominator and am JUST LOVING IT. The Volumetrics books gave me an incredible background on energy density, but THIS is the plan I will now be following. I wrote a lengthy review of it over on amazon.

If you are interested in the energy density of foods, but no longer want to count calories, or measure portions, this book is for you. It gives me the structure I needed that Volumetrics did not. That said, I will always be grateful to Barbara Rolls and her Volumetrics books for introducing me to the wonderful concept of energy density and giving me a phenomenal education about it.

Tonight we are eating at KFC, having their grilled chicken, green beans and coleslaw, which all falls within The Diet Denominator (Volumetric) guidelines.

What are you guys eating?
butterflyinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #19  
Liz

Guess I'll have to take a look at that book... It can't hurt to check out what they have to say about a concept that I already know works for me.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #20  

Liz, it looks to me like it's a self-published book, which means the editing normally done by large publishing companies is poor, but if you can get through that (which I really didn't have a problem with, but others might with typos, etc.), the information is just absolutely wonderful.

I found this book by accident while doing a search on amazon for caloric density, and I'm glad I found it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #21  

What am I eating? Well, among other things, I had six cups of lettuce and four peaches. You can look at my fit day. I sure have had my ups and downs. I am trying very hard not to get discouraged.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #22  
Liz

I finally got a Brita water pitcher to up my intake of water, and it does make a difference. Our tap water is fine, but you can always taste and smell the chlorine.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #23  

We have our own well and a stand-alone ice machine. Our water tastes good and so does the ice - no funny freezer/refrigerator taste. I am spoiled!

I had the best dinner last night, and it really filled my plate. I had a mixed lettuce salad with veggies, sugar snap peas, 4oz potato, and five oz of marinated grilled shrimp and a grilled peach. This was a ton of food and really filled me up for a fairly modest calorie count. I use fat-free yogurt to dress the potato and one of my low fat salad dressings for the salad.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #24  

Oh well, this thread seems to be dying a slow death. That's too bad, I love Volumetrics and the plan I'm on, the Diet Denominator.

Well, just a big thank-you to Meowee who last posted in June, for starting this topic way back when.

I really love the plan I'm on, which takes the concept of Volumetrics and makes it extremely simple to follow.

Have a wonderful summer everyone!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, well, Butterfly, this thread isn't quite dead - there are just a few of us who regularly pop in, and postings can be sporadic - but we ain't dead yet!!! This thread is the first one I stop at on my way in to 3FC - it's one of the quieter threads, but still kickin'! Hope you'll stop in periodically to check on us
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #26  

Yesterday, I was feeling ill with some kind of intestinal thing. I snacked all day on various starchy things because that seemed to make me feel better. When I toted up the calories I was stunned! What an eye opener! My advice - if you feel bad just don't eat anything. All that bread, chips, etc counts up really, really, fast.

I am still on the Volumetric wagon. Love all the food I can consume, if it is the right stuff.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #27  
Liz

Things may seem quiet, but I think everyone's so busy in the summer. I know I am. Right now I'm babysitting my daughter's dog and cat, so I have 4 cats and a dog in the house. Crazy busy, but fun!

I still haven't looked into the Diet Denominator, but it's on the list...
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Gail, I hope you're feeling better - don't feel too bad about your calories - one blip in the grand scheme of things usually doesn't do too much damage (one hopes!). As long as your health improves...

Liz, you're right - summer is a busy time for me! Between the garden, driving kids everywhere, canning/pickling/jamming - I may be unemployed for the moment, but I drop into bed at night like a stone!

We finally have true summer weather here in the northeast - 90+ degrees two whole days in a row!!!! And the sun is actually out, up there - in the sky!!! (it has been a long, cold, wet & dark summer thus far - the last time we hit 90 it was back in April!!!)
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #29  
Liz

We've had a cooler summer than usual, too, here in West MI. I kind of like it, but my tomatoes don't. They're really running behind! Everything else seems to be adapting, pretty much.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #30  

Hey folks,

I am new here, but coincidently just picked up the Volumetrics book from the library. I love the idea of eating healthier without having to document and calculate everything (I always fall behind in that). I'm home sick today, so I've actually got time to read the book! I'd really appreciate hearing any tips or ideas from those of you already following this eating method.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote