General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Default Darkness on inner thighs

There's something I dread just as much as the stomach flap; the darkness on the inner thighs. I've heard tons of reasons they're there- but I want to know how to get rid of them. I scrub in the shower, I try lemon juice, sugar scrubs, nothing seems to work. Are there any safe lightening cremes anyone knows of? I have something to get rid of an overgrowth of keratin, but I think it's a bit too strong to put on my thighs.

And does this always require a trip to the doctor or anything? Some people say yes, but others just tell me it will go away with the more weight I lose. Great, if it does, but if not- I want something to help lighten it.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #2  

Is there any chance that you are having a yeast infection, like Candida? Do you have anything more than darkened skin?

Being that I don't have more than 25 post here, I can't paste a link for it here, but try googling ringworm infections or yeast infections.
Ateh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I've noticed on areas my skin is darker (inner thighs and armpits) it gets a lil better when I exfoliate everyday and moisturize..unfortunately I forget most the time so I don't know if it ever gets rid of it completely. Let us know if you find something please
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateh View Post
Is there any chance that you are having a yeast infection, like Candida? Do you have anything more than darkened skin?

Being that I don't have more than 25 post here, I can't paste a link for it here, but try googling ringworm infections or yeast infections.
I don't think so. Nothing more than darkened skin. I guess "dark spots" wasn't the best way to describe it. There's nothing raised, and it's not spotty or blotchy. Just my inner thighs are a bit of a darker color than the rest of my legs.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'8"

i have that too, and honestly i see it on every woman i know. i really just think it's natural. maybe you shouldn't worry about it too much :3
RookaWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/167/150

Height: 5'8

health care permitting...I'd go see a doctor and ask about seeing an endocrinologist. Dark patches of skin like you're describing can be a symptom of insulin resistance--e.g., pre-diabetes or PCOS. The skin patches are more often around the neck, armpits, knee, or groin, but inner thigh isn't far off either. It's probably worth getting a medical check now--and, if you do have insulin resistance, getting the right insulin-management advice _now_ to avoid problems later.

Last edited by thymeleaves; 04-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
thymeleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeleaves View Post
health care permitting...I'd go see a doctor and ask about seeing an endocrinologist. Dark patches of skin like you're describing can be a symptom of insulin resistance--e.g., pre-diabetes or PCOS. The skin patches are more often around the neck, armpits, knee, or groin, but inner thigh isn't far off either. It's probably worth getting a medical check now--and, if you do have insulin resistance, getting the right insulin-management advice _now_ to avoid problems later.

I initially registered just to read the threads, but I think this poster may be correct. The condition is called Acanthosis Nigricans and is common in people with insulin resistance. I can't post a link yet, but google has tons of information
Somewhat Damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #8  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late 20's, and the acanthosis nigricans was one of my symptoms. I had pretty bad insulin resistance, and once that was brought under control, my skin returned to normal.

The fasting test for insulin levels is a simple blood test. Your PCP should be able to order it with little trouble.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote