General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #16  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

susan, you are right. I didn't mean to be making snide remarks, I am just genuinely scared my the safety of me and my DD.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #17  

In addition to making sure everthing is locked, I would suggest you photograph or videotape what's going on. It will help considerably to have it documented on tape.

I would take a camcoder, get some good footage, have a copy, and take it to the police to watch.

They can't do anything unless they see him. If you tape him, they will see/hear what's going on there.

Is there anyone at Social Services, a church, or a woman's shelter you can call?

You should not have to be frightened in your own home. Sick or not, the man could hurt someone.

I'm not trying to feed your fear, but I would keep the baseball bat, pepper spray, and the phone within reach at all times until something gets done.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #18  
it's always something

What a frightening situation Do you have alarms on your windows and doors? You can get small alarms that stick on them and will go off if they are opened, and they are inexpensive. They may not prevent him from breaking in, but you would have a warning and could protect yourself quicker. I have alarms, mace, pepper spray, and a baseball bat within easy reach

Dogs are a good idea, but choose them carefully. I have a chihuahua, but she hasn't barked or made any other sound since 2001. Nick locked himself out once and came through the bathroom window, and Lola hid under my bed until I came home.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

In situations like this, you are stuck. There's not much the police can do until he physically hurts/threatens himself or others. Mental illness in the US is not treated properly at all, everyone around the ill person suffers also. We had a local Dr. killed by his patient earlier this month.

http://www.psychlaws.org/PressRoom/S...ayneFenton.htm
Quote:
Dr. Fenton’s death is a poignant reminder of the woeful inadequacy of options for emergency care when severely mentally ill patient are in crisis and refusing medication. Our nation’s mental health system is geared almost exclusively to patients who are able to seek treatment voluntarily. And families struggle with law and policies that prohibit medication intervention until a patient is dangerous
We had a lady a couple doors down that had some mental problems. She was older, living with her daughter's family. She would walk up to people's windows, look in with her nose pressed up against the glass and stand there like she was watching TV or something. She would walk up and down the street at all hours of the day and night screeming and yelling, nobody could understand her. If you left your door ajar she would wander in and make herself at home. Again, nothing the police could do because they left their door open. We all learned to keep our curtains closed and doors locked at all times.

Just make sure your doors and windows are locked at all times, even for the quick trip to the mail box. I agree with others, write down what's going on, take pictures and videos. It will help his family, if he has family, to get him the help he needs.

Sarah
Old 09-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #20  
Chocoholic

Yeah, Lillybelle the bat definitely. As for lock up???? I have been down your road. Sheriff every other week taking him back for institutionalization. My only remedy was he moved. Think you can interest him in travel..... That is not a joke. My neighbor blugeoned a man,and everytime someone came in contact with the guy they would end up battered. Living rural is a definite disadvantage because of a lack of available services for mental illness. He may not want to hurt you but he may not be able to help it. My neighbor did not exhibit any bizzar behavior and looked perfectly normal but everyoone in the community knows him and try to stay on his good side. I guess he is doing ok where he is now I have not heard from anyone where he moved to. Please be careful.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #21  

I don't understand why this man was not taken by police and ambulance to the local ER for a psych assessment. I work ER and I see patients like this all the time. The neighbours phone EMS, the police Form 10 them and they come in and the ER doc looks at them and then psych sees them.
Liz
Old 09-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

I know how you feel, been there done that years ago, now since I had my leg amputated I bought a gun. A hammer or baseball bat is going to do you much good when he's comming after you or your child. I don't promote violence of any kind but, times have change over the years where woman are alone because husbands work ect. We as a family all took a class on gun saftey at a local police center, you would be surprised how wondefull they are to teach responsible and safe citizens. No one should be afraid in their own home. Years ago in our neighborhood which was nice a woman and her two daughters were tortured and stabbed to death in their kitchen in brod daylight!! If she had a gun, she would be alive with her daughters and he wouldn't have been able to rape and murder a younge woman 2 steets over!! Sometimes it comes down to you or them!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #23  

Just wondering how things are. Hope you are safe and post an update. I have been thinking about you since I read this yesterday.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #24  
lilybelle

I am doing OK. My DD went to movies with friends tonite and DH was at work. I was scared. I make sure all the doors and windows are locked. Keep my pepperspray, phone and bat handy. Plus, I keep my dog in the room with me, not that I expect she'd be much help. He was outside again last night, just walking in the street and screaming with no one else around. I haven't heard him yet tonite. My DD has been afraid to sleep in her room and has been sleeping on the fold-out in living room just to be closer to our bedroom. Every neighbor around has called the police on this man and I'm not sure how much it's going to take before something is done to get him some treatment.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #25  
No description available.

Hang in there, Lily.

Has anyone been able to contact his caregiver?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #26  

I'm so sorry to hear that it continues.

Has anyone taped this man yet? If you don't have a camcorder, maybe a neighbor does?

This man is breaking laws. Proof needs to be documented. I would probably call a lawyer, just to find out what your rights are. You can probably get a free or low-cost consultation.

This is a mild case of terrorism. At the very least he's dusturbing the peace and should get fined/arrested.

Please keep us updated and stay safe.

Last edited by 4MeNow; 09-17-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #27  
lilybelle

Last night, I went out after dark to take dinner to my DH at his work. I saw that the headlights were on in my vehicle. I must have left it unlocked. This was a little scary. I hadn't driven it since the day previous and that was during the day. The battery wasn't low, so I know they hadn't been on for very long. I am now making sure to lock it.
I do have a camcorder to record him, but usually everything he does is after dark, so I'm not sure I could get a very good view of the situation.
I do have a motion detector light in front of my driveway but usually don't pay much attention when it lights up. The cat, dog, possum, racoon , deer or whatever will set it off quite often. I sure wish I had been watching when my vehicle was being messed with.

Last edited by lilybelle; 09-18-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #28  
Chocoholic

Hello, I went to my endocrinologist today and he said I had lost 11 lb since I last saw him back in March. I seem to be headed in the right direction. You know Lilybell there are real advantages to living rurally and disadvantages. Most often help is slow because of the remoteness of our homes. There are several suggestions I can make from experience to deal with your neighbor. First, if the law won't intervene try your state behaviorial health professionals. You state government should be able to refer you to your local health professional who can intervene. The usually sees this as a social issue unless a law is being broken. However your state Human Services/Resources staff can take action to safe guard you, your community and this poor man. Especially if he has a history of mental health issues - he is bound to have someone following him and they need to be kept up to date. Usually the persons responsible for seeing that he is compliant with his treatment are so overwhelmed that they aren't as aware as they should be. But, as I said this can be acted upon by your local and state health professionals. Call your state human resource office and find out who to talk to with behavioral health issues. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #29  
lilybelle

Luckymom, thanks for the advice. I will try this.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #30  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Lillybelle, I just read your post for the first time, and was truly creeped out by it. We too have a labrador, and he is a baby! I do think though that if I were in trouble he would come to my aid. DH began working swing shift 15 years ago and has a 3-shift rotation. His shift changes every week. Those first midnight shifts gave me grey hairs! Within a month after he started doing midnights we invested in an alarm system, and now I'd never be without it. I've set if off myself accidentally a time or two, but it's still worth it to walk past the keypad and see that little red blinking light telling me the house is armed. Think about it....you may still want the bat around, but advance notice that someone is trying to get into your house allows you to sleep easier at night. Be safe!
Closed Thread