General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default Why do I do this to myself??? (alcohol rant)

I rarely drink, but when I do I always overdo it and wind up feeling like poop. Had a great evening last night sitting on the deck with my Mom and hubby after the kids went to bed, and I had 3 1/2 glasses of wine. Here I am the next day and STILL feel awful.

Not to even mention the fact that I felt so queasy this morning that I veered slightly off plan and had two waffles with peanut butter for breakfast, which was the first grains I've had in three weeks. I don't think it will derail me completely, but it still wasn't my plan. I just couldn't stomach my usual breakfast of eggs or Greek yogurt.

Why is it the wine feels so good at the time, and even though I know I'm going to regret it, I do it anyway? At least it's a rare thing for me. I might drink once a month or less. But when I do, it's always too much!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

I´m so sorry you´re feeling this way! I´ve got nothing constructive to say cause I don´t drink at all, never ever had and think never ever will, but I´m sending you a hug and I really hope you feel better soon!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I drink regularly and love it. The trick is to not lose control of what you eat. A lot of people cannot do that, so they have to watch the drink. But not me!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have such a low tolerance for alcohol that I tend to feel it's effects much sooner than most.

Hubby says it's because I have the tendency to "slam" or gulp beverages whether they're alcoholic or not. When we were dating, we used to joke that I was a cheap date when going out for drinks, as I'd mostly drink diet cokes and might have one wine cooler if I was very, very alert (otherwise I'd just feel sleepy and want to go to sleep).

Even in college I only got drunk two or maybe three times. Having an uninhibited personality, I had the most fun when my friends were drinking and I was not. I can't tell you how many times friends would recount how drunk I was, because of something I did while perfectly sober.

Getting of track, sorry - the point I was trying to make is that not everyone reacts to alcohol in the same way, or even to different types of alcohol the same way. You just have to learn/decide where your limits are and what you're willing to put up with when you cross those limits.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #5  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I drink very rarely, but when I do I have a tendency to go overboard. I think part of that is because I have an addictive personality (though food is my "drug" of choice - go figure!).

I find it's best for me to just avoid alcohol all together, unless I have a planed indulgence.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Alcohol is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE for you. Best to give it up altogether!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #7  

I used to do this in my early 20s, I rarely drnk, but when I did, I always over did it. I used to drink beer at the time and I dont think I liked it, I think I just drank to drink.

Now, well not now, but when I'm not pregnant, I will enjoy A glass of wine with dinner. I'm not sure why I don't go over board now..one too many hang overs. ALso with kids I have to wake up early the nest day and be functioning, and I'm one of those people that does not function hung over.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Gave it up in 2007 after being a moderate to heavy drinker for most of my life. My weekends are now very mundane but I don't miss the 2 entire days of feeling like crap for one second. My body just doesn't like alcohol anymore.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

I worked at a bar for a year and it was ALWAYS the people who never go out that end up puking in the bathroom. They just drink too much too fast and can't handle it.

Slow down! Drink a glass of water after every alcoholic drink and you should be fine.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #10  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

I think my body just isn't handling alcohol the way it used to either. In my 20's every weekend night (meaning Thursday through Sunday nights, lol) I'd drink a large daiquiri and the worst I'd ever have is a headache the next day. Never the upset tummy or other symptoms. Now it seems no matter what type of alcohol I drink or even how much i have, I feel like I was hit by a Mac truck the next day! Starting to think it just isn't worth it to drink at all, which is part of the reason I drink so rarely now anyway. Hubby will be happy to have a permenant DD I guess

I will say I managed to stay in control of the diet while drinking. I only had some grilled chicken strips for dinner and didn't really want anything else. It was just the darn hangover the next day that caused the little bump in my plan since I couldn't stomach anything but the waffles. And happily the scale has been kind, so far I'm down 2 for the week and hopefully I'll be at least the same tomorrow on my official weigh in day, if not a couple more ounces down.

Last edited by Hello Nurse; 06-23-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

While I'm waiting for someone to invent the calorie and hangover free alcohol pill (please?), I've been drinking much less. Like if I make a mixed drink I'll fill most of the glass with club soda and add less than a shot of scotch or open a beer and sip it slowly and maybe only drink half. Drinking slowly and not feeling like you have to finish, or even drink what you mixed/ordered has helped me slow down without feeling especially deprived.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

All vices make you feel funny/reach for comfort food as a side effect. It depends on how "worth it" it is! I find certain things to be more worthwhile than others and like to sit back and evaluate my vice consumption, asking myself what is really gained from whatever. Alcohol is usually near the bottom of the list - I have a genetic predisposition to handle it badly, and I don't need it to feel "loose" in social situations.

What do you gain from alcohol? Does it give you insight into your life? How fun is it? Are 3 1/2 glasses of wine more enjoyable than 1 or 2?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote