General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:13 AM   #1  

Default A long shot, but we have to try

Hi all,

This is such a long shot and even sort of tacky...but we are desperate.

DH and await the homecoming of the 2 children we are adopting from Haiti (our first). Adia Odeline is 2.10 and her brother Severin Stevenson is 18 months. I met them for the first time one year ago today. They should have been home last September. BUT they were unfortunately at an orphanage run by 2 crooked people from Illionois (a "pastor" and wife). In October, after I spent a month in Haiti trying to find out what was really going on, they claimed that their lawyer had stolen everyone's money (many families) and that this lawyer had never processed any of our paperwork. So, we had to start all over, including having the children moved to another facilitator. Throughout this ordeal, we have lost $40,000.00 -- and we are not wealthy people at all. We live quite modestly.

I would never ever under any other circumstances do this, but here goes...our daughter in particular needs to come home. She has severe Rickets and is in for a long recovery. We are in desperate need of $7,000.00 in roder to get our children home. Immediately, within the next week, we need $2000.00 to get our children into step one of processing in Haiti before our facilitator leaves for a month-long vacation and is unable to process us at that point. If we can get $2000.00 this week, our children can be home by June. If we can't, it will probably be more like next fall and we are very nervous about our daughter's health. Her knees and ankles are already malforming due to the Rickets. If our son begins to walk before being treated, he too could have the same problem as he also has Rickets.

Do any of you know anyone who might be able to help -- an employer looking for a tax deduction, perhaps; a local business wanting good publicity; personal philanthropists; anyone???? We are willing to do anything. We just have no way of getting any more money from our resources at this point.

Any ideas/help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. And I am sorry if this post offends anyone.

Peace,
Paula

Photo attached is Dh, myself and the children when we were there in October. DH went home and I stayed for a month.
Closed Thread