General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #16  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Supper, of course is not only what upper-middle class people call tea BUT is also what I give my 10 y o son before bedtime. Glass of milk and a piece of bread and butter. Bowl of porage with honey. Scone and jam. That kind of thing.

Right. Full English. I am writing this from a B&B (bed and breakfast overnight accommodation) so am fully up to speed as I've just been asked if I want one in the morning.

It's generally fried. It can include bacon, fried egg (or scrambled), sausage, tomato, fried bread. Also black pudding, white pudding. Some people have baked beans too (yuck). And I have heard of hash browns (I don't know what they are but you probably do)!

I'm having a half English (never heard of this before but a full is always too much for me).

Start with cereal or porage. Then full English (NB substitute country you're in - Welsh, Scottish, Irish, possibly Cornish). Toast and jam. Tea or coffee.

Drop scones, too, perhaps.

Roll out. Stagger through the rest of your day.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #17  
doing it for me

S/C/G: 163/190/125

Height: 5'6"

Hahaha excellent description there Silverbirch!!!

PS. Hash browns are...hmm. Imagine a chicken nugget. Except made of potato, not chicken. Something like that. If cooked properly (they have to be crunchy!) they're lovely. Especially in a sandwich with lots of ketchup. Yum.

(This is why I gained 9 pounds in my first year at uni...hash brown sandwiches were too readily available!!!!!)
katylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #18  
in development

Thanks, katylil!

I forgot the mushrooms. I forgot the fried potato. And I forgot the marmalade!

I am eating lightly for the rest of the day ...

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-21-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #19  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Is a full English breakfast also referred to as a fry up? I've heard that term, and it seemed like the people were talking about the same things as you described for the full English, silverbirch.

And tho it's a bit off the subject of tea (a term which I always found enchanting and fancy as a little girl), has anyone else ever had breakfast, dinner and supper? My granny does that (I'm American btw), breakfast, then the main meal of the day at around noon (and, oh lord, it's always something like chicken fried steak with giblet gravy and mashed taters, green beans with bacon fat, etc.), and then a small meal of sandwiches and soup or something like it for supper. Growing up I always thought it was weird that she never had "lunch".
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #20  

I live in Cheshire UK. We eat Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, and Supper. Dinner is lunch in the US. Tea is Dinner in the US and Supper is a late night snack.

High tea is what the Queen or the upper class takes around 4pm. Its a big pot of tea with cucumber sandwiches.

Tea is when ever you eat your evening meal. We have no set time... life is to busy. It can be anywhere in our house from 4pm to 9 pm depending on the day.

Full Engllish... Fried eggs, bacon (more like canadian ham in the US) black pudding (a sausage made from pigs blood) sometimes a hash brown but that isnt traditional, beans and toast with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes.
frazzeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

So black pudding is still popular? It just sounds kind of not pleasant to eat.

I always thought it was a dish of necessity when people lived on a farm and had to use every part of the animal and the poor.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #22  
in development

It's good. You could categorise it as a type of sausage. And people always like them.

White pudding aka chitterlings aka andouillette (I think) you don't see so much. Eaten by my Dad during the Second World War (as chitterlins). Eaten in France. Still eaten in the US?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm from a traditional, northern, working class family and when I was growing up in the 60s/70s we ate breakfast, dinner and tea with the main meal of the day being eaten around noon (and hence provided by schools) during the week. Tea was what you had when you got home from school and was normally a lighter affair often soup, salad or sandwiches. Nowadays my kids refer to the meal in the middle of the day as lunch and will ask when they get home from School 'what's for dinner?' but DH and I still refer to our evening meal as tea despite this being our main meal of the day.

Just to confuse matters further, I do usually have a drink of tea mid-afternoon (3-4pm) which I make in the proper fashion in a teapot, but no longer accompany this with cakes/biscuits as I used to!

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #24  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

TEA is your dinner
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #25  
in development

Kitty - you and I speak the same language. I have even just put the kettle on.

Maybe it's also an age thing - sounds as though we're about the same age. In my case, 1955 was a brilliant year.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to read your post.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
It's good. You could categorise it as a type of sausage. And people always like them.

White pudding aka chitterlings aka andouillette (I think) you don't see so much. Eaten by my Dad during the Second World War (as chitterlins). Eaten in France. Still eaten in the US?
Maybe traditional white pudding uses intestines as a casing, but AFAIK (I'm white, and chit'lin's in the US is most strongly associated with soul food, i.e. African-American cuisine) chit'lin's in the US are not stuffed; they're just the intestines. Am I right, black chicks?

Last edited by ANOther; 08-24-2010 at 11:53 AM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #27  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up O.m.g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
It's generally fried. It can include bacon, fried egg (or scrambled), sausage, tomato, fried bread. Also black pudding, white pudding. Some people have baked beans too (yuck). And I have heard of hash browns (I don't know what they are but you probably do)!

I'm having a half English (never heard of this before but a full is always too much for me).

Start with cereal or porage. Then full English (NB substitute country you're in - Welsh, Scottish, Irish, possibly Cornish). Toast and jam. Tea or coffee.

Drop scones, too, perhaps.

Roll out. Stagger through the rest of your day.
^^ Sounds so good - and brings back so many memories. I haven't had fried bread for about 30 years!! Before I tried it, it sounded gross... after I tasted it, I was in love.

ETA: White pudding in Scotland is suet, oatmeal, onions and spices in a sausage skin...

Last edited by Fressca; 08-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 299.5/267/180

Height: 5' 10.5"

I live in Oxford. Here we lunch at 1, have tea (usually featuring cake, not savouries) at 4 and dine at 7:15, 7:30 on Sundays.
refinnej is offline   Reply With Quote