Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

Default Hungry??

Hello!
I started Atkins a few weeks ago, but went to vacationes and screwed it up so I started Induction again yesterday.
I read in the book that ketosis should start around the 2nd- 3rd day (for me it took longer the first time, but anyway). This time even though Iīve eaten more Iīm hungrier, my stomach makes these horrible noises all the time (Iīm eating a lot of induction free foods, but canīt eat every 5 mins lol) so the question is when does the "hunger suppretion" thing start? With ketosis? After? Before? Did hunger really disapper?

Iīm going to get some more canned tuna again and hope you can answer me! lol
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

Well I'm new to Atkins myself, been doing it for 3 weeks today! I don't have any Issues with Hunger if I eat my meals. When I forget to eat Breakfast then I notice it at Lunch time and feel really hungry. But when im eating my meals on time I never feel hungry.

I do want to eat at times though just because I like food.

Sorry I dont really have advice, I'm new

Good Luck

Jemmy
Shadowjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

What exactly are induction free foods? Why don't you post a samply menu. We may be able to help once we see that information.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

To answer your question Rafaella...generally (for most) appetite suppression generally starts about 1 week into induction. For some, though...where eating is more of an emotional habitual thing...it will take more than just time. A mental adjustment will be necessary, because there not eating out of hunger. However, you ABSOLUTELY should not be hungry on Atkins!!! Ever!! Make sure you are drinking at least 8 10 ounce glasses of water every day...and that you are eating only induction foods until satisfaction. If that's still leaves you hungry, you may want to try adding some Metamucil (fiber) pills or powder to your diet...fiber is very good at filling you up!

Glad you didn't let your vacation kill your diet and decided to "get right back on the horse"...remember...one slip up will not kill your dieting efforts...it's what you do for the long haul...this is not a "quick fix"...plan on it taking you as long as it did to gain the weight to lose it! This is the most truest advice I've ever gotten. Good luck...and stay in there girl! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #5  

I eat more or less the same every day..
I will post next to the food what the carb net grams are according to me, I got it from atkins.com but there are food which I donīt know exactly what type are for example cabbage, there are like 4 types and I donīt know what type is the one Iīm eating (only itīs not red) so I used the one with more carbs, I think itīs better to aproximate up, if you have a different value please tell me
Ok here I go:

B: 2 eggs with bacon (1.2 grs carbs)
Snack: 1/2 can tuna fish in water with 1/2 T of mayo (1.3 carbs)
Lunch: 1 C lettuce (1.4 grs)
Roasted chicken breast (0)
1 T olive oil (0)
Salad dressing (2)
Tea: 2 sausages (1)
Dinner: 1 C caggabe (2.8)
1/2 can tuna fish (0.3)
Salad dressing(2)

Total carbs (net grs): 12

Ok thatīs another problem, I know I should get around 20 but without adding more veggs I donīt know where to get those carbs from.
Ahh, and between 2.5 and 3 litres of water. I eliminated splenda, coffee and tea (not a big fan but anyways) and diet coke (which Iīm a fan but I decided to stop my addiction here)

One last question, last time I didnīt feel hungry at all the first days, maybe it was because I was drinking diet coke with aspartame? And now that I cut that Iīm really going through the detox process?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #6  
banned

Rafaella - it looks like your diet is both too light on calories and carbs. Why only 1/2 can tuna? Why not the whole damn enchalada!? It's okay...ya know. But if 1/2 can satisfies you...then okay. My point is you should eat to satisfaction for every meal...just stick to induction foods. Also, don't skimp on the fat...doing Atkins, your body will need the extra fat to burn for energy since it's being deprived of Carbohydrates/glucose to burn.

I feel ya on the diet coke tip. I, myself, love/addicted to diet cherry pepsi...yummmmy! When I started Atkins on 1/5/08, I just couldn't give everything up all at once! I would have never made it past the first week...but that's just me. Rather than give it up completely...why not try cutting down. That's what I did. I cut my diet pepsi habit from 7 2-liters/week to 2 2-liters/week. I also am an avid coffee lover. Caffeine is not the "devil" of dieting. There are many beneficial qualities of caffeine, including increased metabolism (free calorie burn). For added calories (which is needed to keep our bodies out of "starvation" mode) you could try a zero carb whey isolate protein drink. It's very filling and loaded with protein and essential amino acids (which aid in fat metabolism). Hope this helps. Joyce
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #7  

Tks for your tips Joyce!!!

The coke thing is kind of tricky, I know in the US you have coke sweetened with spenda, well here only aspartame and I read I had to stay away from aspartame so I decided to cut it out, also I felt it made me want more sweets things so more reasons to leave it out.

I use olive oil, what other fats do you eat? I saw cream has a lot of carbs, one serving has 4 carbs and thatīs just a teaspoon!!!

Also Iīm having troube with the ham and most meats cause they all have some kind os sugar.. dextrose or simply sugar in their ingredients!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #8  
banned

Oh that's right...you live in Chili. Boy...I've gotta get out more and see the damn world! I drink coke/pepsi with aspartame. I think anything in moderation is okay. I love olive oil and use it whenever I can. I also use plenty of real butter...yummmmy! For instance, I make this fish (tilapia) dish: 2-3 pieces of fish, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tsps butter and fry in pan with garlic powder, fresh dill, squeeze fresh lemon, and some old bay...yummmmmy! I like to mix olive oil and butter together when saute'ing anything. Heavy whipping cream (in US) has 0 carbs sooo...maybe try looking for another brand.

Sweet tooth...ahhhh...my undying sweet tooth! Well, for me, I find that I do better on an eating plan when I feel I'm having "what I want"...I'm really not into that deprevation thing. I'd rather substitute. For instance...I love chocolate...I eat chocolate (every day), but I eat chocoperfection bars for the sugar free stuff (brach's) you find at local supermarket. I eat 1 or 2 chunks or pieces and whalla...satisfied and not deprived. Perhaps substitution might work for you...you be the judge...the point is do whatever will allow you to stick with low-carbin' (a proven diet for weight loss)!

Lastly, you really want to try and limit processing foods (deli)...they do have hidden sugars and you want to train yourself to eat healthy whole foods, like chicken, fish, steak...you can find some great recipes at Linda's Low Carb Recipes. If you want the link, let me know and I'll PM you with it. Good luck. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaella View Post
Tks for your tips Joyce!!!

The coke thing is kind of tricky, I know in the US you have coke sweetened with spenda, well here only aspartame and I read I had to stay away from aspartame so I decided to cut it out, also I felt it made me want more sweets things so more reasons to leave it out.

I use olive oil, what other fats do you eat? I saw cream has a lot of carbs, one serving has 4 carbs and thatīs just a teaspoon!!!

Also Iīm having troube with the ham and most meats cause they all have some kind os sugar.. dextrose or simply sugar in their ingredients!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Rafaella,

In looking over your menu, you are not eating enough which is the reason you are hungry.

Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day....12-15 of those 20 carbs needs to be coming from vegetables (from the acceptable foods list) & salad. You might want to consider adding another salad with your dinner & more veggies.

As far as fats are concerned, olive oil is excellent. You may also want to add things like butter, heavy cream, full fat mayonnaise.

Dr. Atkins advised against coffee: "Stay out of the java jungle. Excessive caffeine (found not only in coffee, but in tea, chocolate and many soft drinks) has been shown to cause a hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) reaction, which will provoke cravings and cause you to overeat". Omitting caffeine may be a big sacrifice for you, but, in my experience, weight loss often starts up again as soon as people remove aspartame and caffeine from their regimen" (Page 189 Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 Version)

I hope this will be helpful to you
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #10  
banned

Rafaella - You will get many doctrines and opinions on the coffee/diet soda thing here...but I guess the best advice I can give you is to "listen to your own body"...while caffeine and aspartame may effect some people adversly...it's never stalled my weight loss/fat loss efforts nor has it caused any jitters, etc. Key to everything you do though...is MODERATION. Anything done in "excess" will not be good for you...so why would coffee be any different?? That is why Dr. Atkins stresses "excessive" caffeine is not good for you, but he doesn't "ban" you from drinking it. Google caffeine and it's effects on our bodies...you'll find out some interesting, not popular information. Again...best to you in your weight loss efforts. Joyce

Last edited by bambifox; 03-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #11  

I read somewhere caffeine affects positively ur metabolism, I don´t know if it´s true, but I know I read it. For now I´m staying away of caffeine anyway bcause I feel hungrier when I have coke or coffee, not right away but some hrs later, even though I think my "feeling not so good" right now is bcause of the lack of caffeine I´ll try to stay away from it for some time and just see how that goes. I´m the all or nothing kind of person so I know I will be hard for me to stick to 1 can, I think it´s easier to just cut it (Joyce, ure so lucky u can just reduce the amount or just eat 1 piece of chocolate, I would eat the whole thing..)

Another question for you who know best lol jaja in the book I read I should have 2-3 cups of veggies (3 of the first list or 1 first list + 1 second list) but with that combination plus the other carbs (in eggs and other induction food) I get around 9-12 net grs of carb.. So, I add more veggies to get to 20 or stick with the 2-3 cups only?

Last edited by Rafaella; 03-08-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Personally speaking, in the almost 4 years I've been on Atkins, I've never measured my veggies or my salad. Typically, I have a big salad for lunch everyday to which I add either cold, cooked broccoli florets or cold, cooked green beans. In the evening, with dinner, I have a smaller salad with sliced cucumbers and I have some type of veggie with my dinner.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #13  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Staying away from the caffeine and aspartame realy help me, I do find they make me hungrier so I do better when I avoid them . I think you should increase your veg so you are getting the 20 grams. And eat a little more so you are not hungry.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #14  

Totally off topic... how often do you weigh?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #15  
banned

Yeah Rafaella...I agree..more salads. I would never weigh a salad (I think it's provided in the book just a guide). I weigh myself once per week, first thing in the morning...and nude!

BTW, I eat chocoperfection dark chocolate candy bars (can find at netrition.com). You could eat the entire candy bar...it's only 2 carbs and is sweetened with erythritol and oligofructose (both have no impact on blood sugar and very high in fiber so it's actually good for you). These candy bars are so damn delish, you feel like your cheating. Some days I'll eat 2 pieces off the bar, other's I'll eat 3/4 bar...depends on time of month. Either way it's guilt free. Joyce