General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #466  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I'm so happy Blake made it to the finale and I hope he wins!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #467  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 288/275.3/134

Height: 5'4"

I quit watching weeks ago when my favorite was voted out...I was shocked to see that Melinda was voted off.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #468  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I actually felt this time that even Simon was surprised that Melinda was sent home. Jordin really looked shocked. I thought Melinda had a great voice, but lacked the "whole package" thing. I'm favoring Jordin right now, but I may change my mind depending on how they both do in the finale. I do feel that Jordin has shown a lot of improvement over the course of the show. I guess what it will come down to is who would be the most marketable.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #469  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I just read this little blurb off of a Chicago Tribune blog:

"American Idol voters eliminate professional backup singer Melinda Doolittle, proving "American Idol" is a singing competition like U.S. presidential elections are an intelligence competition."

Since my girl Melinda is gone, I'm jumping on the Blake bandwagon.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #470  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I really couldn't tell who I though would go this week, it was a toss up in my mind so I wasn't surprised. It's really tight here at the end, huh? I will just say Jordin right now because I called that weeks ago, and I'd like to feel smug. Blake has definitely been growing on me and surprising me lately though. I can't wait for the new season of "So you think you can dance." Mostly I just like the way the host says the word "judges".
Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #471  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

is nothing sacred?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #472  
peace out

S/C/G: 318.4/289/145

Height: 5'2"

My eleven year old daughter picked Jordin and Blake as her favorites was back at the beginning...she is psyched!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #473  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
I'm interested to see what song the judge picks for him and to have Misti in Seattle pee her pants when they come to her town after all these long years of Seattle bashing by Simon.
LOL I just now saw this! Well so far I haven't peed my pants (close) but I DID take off work early to go the parade and concert. It was worth it too.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #474  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

I have been to Seattle many times...they have it coming! After all, they are the reason we have to pay about $8 bucks for a freakin' cup of coffee!
LOL or you could "wise up" like I do and buy your own gourmet coffee and make it at home at a fraction of the price!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #475  

And by the way... regarding Melinda, did anyone notice that on her final night's performance of "I am Woman" she totally botched the entire second line of the song... completely forgot the words and just mumbo jumboed stuff... and the judges completely ignored it? I didn't catch this until I read it on the Internet... BUT since I don't repeat stuff I only read online as fact I went and googled and found the video on YouTube and they were right... she totally botched it... but all we heard from the judges was that she was fantastic and the best.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #476  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
And by the way... regarding Melinda, did anyone notice that on her final night's performance of "I am Woman" she totally botched the entire second line of the song... completely forgot the words and just mumbo jumboed stuff... and the judges completely ignored it? I didn't catch this until I read it on the Internet... BUT since I don't repeat stuff I only read online as fact I went and googled and found the video on YouTube and they were right... she totally botched it... but all we heard from the judges was that she was fantastic and the best.
I certainly didn't notice it when I watched it. She must have done a really good job of covering it up, and hey, improv is in important part of being a star, too I've seen other contestant muck up the words, and you can tell without a doubt that they messed up, but if Melinda could cover it up so hardly anyone noticed, then more power to her!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #477  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Quote:
I don't think I'd go so far as to say that messing up one line of a song is "totally botching it". Umm I wonder how well any of us would do if we had to 3 days to learn 3 songs we had most probably never heard before. That's the thing that I am most in awe of these contestants. While those of us who are older can sing along and catch flubs with songs we are already familiar with, I can't imagine trying to learn something new that quickly AND pull it off flawlessly in such a short amount of time. If you've ever had to prepare and give a speech in front of a large audience, you can understand just how easy nervousness can trip you up and how difficult it is to recover yourself.

From the first time I saw her audition, I was blown away by Melinda. I think she has been the best singer thusfar on all seasons of American Idol. Her range is incredible - she can soften it up or pull out all the stops on a power ballad. She has been consistently able to take and apply the advice from the guest mentors. But as the weeks rolled by, I wondered how she would fit into the American Idol pop music package. I figured that she would not make it to the end even tho she deserved to win more than anyone else.

Jordin has a long way to go and has her youth working for her. I think she is the most improved over the course of the show.

Blake is good, he's interesting but he has a focused/narrow style. The first song he sings is phenomenal because he's so unique. The 4th song he sings is pretty good. By the 7th song he's singing, I'm ready to switch CDs because it's pretty much the same song I just heard. I think he's a good entertainer and will do better in concert than record sales. I did notice when he went back home that they showed an awful lot of screaming young teeny-boppers. Reminded me of that cute little girl who was so excited to see Sanjaya live.

I think they all have something to offer in their own way and I'm sure they will all get record deals which is good for them and for us the listeners too.

Anyone else notice that several of last year's contestants have recently launched their own albums? Bucky, Elliot, McPhee, and (OMG WHAT did you do to your pretty young self) Pickler?

Last edited by happy2bme; 05-20-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #478  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
Anyone else notice that several of last year's contestants have recently launched their own albums? Bucky, Elliot, McPhee, and (OMG WHAT did you do to your pretty young self) Pickler?
Look at Elliott last week I thought he sounded really good and I was never a big fan.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #479  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
LOL or you could "wise up"....

HEY! MISTI I'll have you know that almost daily someone calls me a SMART~A$$

like I do and buy your own gourmet coffee and make it at home at a fraction of the price!
I get all my "gourmet" Folgers and Yuban products at Costco thank-you.

HAPPY2BEME Take it easy on MISTI, she said it was the "second" line Melinda botched, not the entire song
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #480  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I actually think if someone botches a song, but is able to continue and cover it to the point that most people don't even notice it, or they don't notice unless they know the words themselves, that would make them even MORE idol material. It means they won't just stall and stammer and get all flustered when in front of huge crowds if they forget the words to something. It means they understand the concept of the "show must go on". It means they can improvise and think fast on their feet and keep going. All are good qualities for any idol to have.
Closed Thread