Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:39 PM   #1  

Default I'm new.

I was wondering what everyone eats for breakfast? I am looking for new ideas. Today I had 2 oz of steak split between two 6 inch Dianes tortilla's with chopped mushrooms and onion fat free sour cream and hot sauce. I know it seems dinnerish, but I'm desperate.
Please let me know your ideas.
Thanks,
Bodypumpgirl

Highest weight: 198
Current weight:152
Goal weight: 130
Old 03-14-2003, 08:28 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Bodypumpgirl... and welcome!!

I know it doesn't seem very "creative" -- but I usually eat breakfast at work so need something that is easy to take with me. Also I take Juice Plus in some juice, etc. so go "light" on other breakfast. But I found some shredded oats with vanilla and almonds in it... similar to shredded wheat minis but much better. With a banana in it, it is quite good and surprisingly filling.

Sue
Old 03-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #3  

Thanks, That sounds great! I usually have a plain toasted bagel with peanut butter on it. I usually try to stay within the 300 calorie range for breakfast.

Bodypumpgirl
Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I try to stay around the 300 calorie range for breakfast as well. Here are some of my staples:

Fruit smoothie-
1 banana
1c. strawberries
1/2c. apple juice
couple of ice cubes
Blend in a high powered blender or a Smoothie machine. Yummy-and you get your 3 fruit servings done all at once! (about 220 calories)

1 T. peanut butter on a slice of toasted light bread-like Wonder Light, and 1 cup of orange juice. (245-255 calories depending on brands used.)

1 cup Yoplait light yogurt with a serving of Kashi cereal or 1/2 serving of low fat granola cereal mixed in. (calories depend on kind of cereal)

Tropical Fruit salad
1 banana cut into chunks
1 small size can of pineapple chunks in juice-do not drain
Put in a bowl and enjoy (220-250 calories and counts as 3 fruit servings)

Hope you try these and enjoy them!
Aphil
Old 03-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #5  

Those sound great too! I'm going to have to try these.

Bodypumpgirl

Highest weight: 198
Current Weight: 152
Goal weight: 130
Old 03-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #6  

I like fruit smoothies too, only I make them with Juice Plus when I eat them. My normal breakfast is a bit higher on the calories because of the Juice Plus in fruit juice, etc... but I go pretty light on lunch. Often have a cup of brown rice or couscous with some health soup poured over it. Yum!

For dinner -- I bought a T-Fal steamer so I can steam rice AND a big pot of veggies at the same time. I love to get baby carrots, broccoflower, onion, asparagus, celery and whatever and steam it all together. Then I put it into a microwave bowl and add a can of italian stewed tomatoes and microwave it just enough to get it hot. VERY good addition to a small piece of meat for dinner!

Sue
Old 03-15-2003, 03:38 AM   #7  

Sue,
Dinner sounds yummy!!! It even sounds like it doesn't take that long to cook. That in itself is the perfect meal.

Bodypumpgirl
Old 03-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #8  

Default How about a muffin?

Hi Bodypumpgirl ~

How about a muffin? Here's a good high fiber, low point muffin ...I have one several times a week ...it's an easy get up and go breakfast.

Hi Fiber Low Point Muffins

1 box of Krusteez Low Fat Muffin Mix
3 cups high fiber cereal (such as All Bran, Kashe Go Lean Good Friends or Great Grains)
2 1/2 cups water

Put cereal in large bowl. Add water and let cereal 'soften'. Add muffin mix, stir until mixed. Divide into a Pam sprayed 12 cup muffin pan and bake for about 30 minutes at 350*. When done, take out of pan and let cool.

Makes 12 muffins
Each muffin is 1.5 points.

I usually add extra fruit. To the banana mix, I mash and add a banana ...the blueberry, I add 1 cup of blueberries ...to the Cranberry Orange, I add 1/3 cup dried craisins (cranberries). If you'd like, you can also add 1/3 cup chopped nuts ...the additions will add on .5 per muffin.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

I like to eat my breakfast when I get to work. Some things I have are cereal with fruit, toasted English Muffin with peanut butter, yogurt with cereal in it, jello & toast. The other day I took an egg to work & microwaved it & put it between 2 pieces of pumpernickel toast. It was really good. Fruit salad is also easy to take.

Hopes this helps.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:09 AM   #10  

Loosinit-
Those Muffins look great, are they filling?
I'm going to have to try those this week.

Bandit2-
Those ideas are great too! I'm always looking for ideas that have a balance of protein and carbs.

Thanks

Bodypumpgirl
Old 03-18-2003, 09:13 AM   #11  

Today for breakfast I brought yogurt (2 Pts) banana (2 Pts) and 1/2 cup of all bran to put in yogurt (1 Pt). Had coffee at home & on way to work (1 Pt) Total = 6 Pts for breakfast.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:48 AM   #12  

Today I brought Raisin Bran (1 Pt) Cheese String (2) Kiwi (1)
Had coffee at home & brought one for work (1) Total = 5 Pts.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:41 AM   #13  

Hi Bodypumpgirl

Yes, right you are! My dinners are wonderful AND very quick to prepare; especially since I often cook big pots of veggies and eat on them for several days. Throw a little fresh salsa from Trader Joe's on top (when I don't use the stewed tomatoes) and... yum!!! Another advantage is that I can add just a bit of veggies which I don't care that much for... such as red peppers.. and get some extra nutrition without having to eat a lot of them. Drown it all in balsamic vinegar and sometimes a blob of fat free sour cream!

Another favorite to go with it is fresh Alaskan halibut, which is wonderful here in Seattle! I get it at a specialty market... Larry's Market... where they sell it only from the bigger, tastier fish. I mix egg, lemon juice, dill, basil, etc. and dip the fish in it... then into a mixture of crushed cashews, panko and seasonings... and bake it. WOW!!! Yummy! Have also coated it in mixture of fat free sour cream and Miracle Whip Free, with a bit of brown mustard... then the nuts and breading. Am planning to try orange juice and almonds...

I can also cook fresh corn on the cob in the steamer... and "soft boil" eggs. It's a great way to prepare nutritious and TASTY meals quickly!!

Sue

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-04-2003 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:49 AM   #14  

Hi bandit

Yes, fruit salad is great for work... I always take a plastic container of mixed fruit... strawberries, grapes, pineapple, cut-up oranges or whatever. It's great to munch on during the day!!

Sue
Old 04-04-2003, 03:24 AM   #15  

Sue,
I lived in Kirkland with my aunt and we would always go to Larry's Market. Boy do I miss Seattle. That was the best time ever! Your right about the fish. To die for!!

Bodypumpgirl
Closed Thread