Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Help I'm new and need some Tips!!!

Hey there I'm new to this site and whole message board thing. Looks really supportive so I figured what the heck. You can always use support from people!

I am thinking about starting the Fat Smash plan on Monday. I did do it once about 4 months ago. Did pretty well but went through a rough patch and have had a lot going on since then. Well I have a new attitude and a new reason to shed some pounds. I am moving to Hawaii in 5 weeks!!!!! My parents live out there and asked if I would like to go out for the winter. Who would say no?! Anyways... I am very uncomfortable with my body and don't want to look like this when I get there. I just wanted to know how people did during the first phase and if there is anything that would help make it easier.

The first time I did FS I did ok except for the part where I couldn't eat meat for 9 days. I like tofu but have yet to come across any good recipes. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for me? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/141/128

Height: 5'3

Kritter> I know I'm chiming in late..

I'm only on Phase 1 Day 3 and it's been going well, for me it hasn't been the worst since I'm a vegetarian.

My suggestion for the tofu:
1) You can place the tofu (container and all) in the freezer for a day, then take it out and either let it thaw by itself or by microwave. Once removed from package you can literally ring it out like a sponge. It actually has more of a spongy texture, which is what makes it taste more 'meaty'. I usually cut it up in cubes and fry on a non-stick pan in a little oil. Brown to your liking.
2) After removing tofu from package, wrap a cheesecloth or several paper towels around it. Sit a pan on top of it with a couple books on top of the pan. This is to rid more of the moisture from the tofu. I usually can't wait more than 30 mins since I'm starving by this time. Unwrap & cut tofu into cubes and pan fry until browned to your liking.

Remember that tofu has no flavor at all, it's more textural, so you can flavor any way you like. Some place on salad and let the dressing do the flavoring. Some put in stir-fries and allow the soy sauce to flavor. Some use a marinade and bake the tofu....

Hope this helps!
Meikmeika
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #3  

Meikmeika,

Thanks for the great tips! I have always had a hard time cooking tofu. It never has the same consistency as the tofu you get at a Thai restaurant. It's always too rubbery when I cook it.

I started day one yesterday so I'm hoping all goes well this week. I have no problem living without meat.... it's the bread that kills me!! I will be ok as long as I keep myself away from my friends bad eating habits.

Let me know how you do when you finish phase one! Thanks again for the great ideas!!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #4  

Kritter> I'm just happy there's someone still on the Fat Smash boards...

You are welcome with the tips. It took me some time to get used to preparing tofu.

I'm at the end of Day 3 and doing pretty well. I've been cooking alot of different recipes like split pea soup, sweet potato black bean chili and breakfast scrambles.. next will be stuffed peppers.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but to satisfy my ice cream craving I blend 2 cps of light soymilk with 2 ripe bananas and freeze. It's more icy than anything else but, I guess since I haven't been eating any regular sugar, it tastes awesome. I eat about 3/4Cp at a time. I'm also going to try out a mini apple pie, it will definitely be more exciting when I can have stevia.

Let me know how things go with you as well...

Meikmeika
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #5  

I know its nice to have people to talk about what works and what doesn't.

Its definitely a diet that you have to prepare your own food. It seems like it would be hard to eat out. Maybe a little better on phase two. I did make a veggie soup tonight. It was ok... I used the low sodium broth which doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. I guess thats a clue I'm consuming too much sodium to begin with.

I like the idea about the bananas and soymilk!! I was craving something sweet after dinner but just didn't even satisfy it because nothing in the house that is sweet is on the acceptable food list. The worst part is right now I work in an office and the candy jar is staring at me all day!! It sits on my desk. Everyone takes candy but somehow I manage to resist. But it was hard today with all that Halloween candy in there!!!
I was a little hungry today but I'm hoping that will get better as the days go on. If I can just get through the weekend I'm golden!!!

Well let me know how your doing with any loss or good recipes... the apple pie sounds so good!!

Kristie
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #6  

Kritter> Avoiding temptation is sooooo hard!!! Great job on keeping your hands out the cookie jar. Just remember, while the rest of your office will be gaining weight over the holiday season you won't be...YEAH!!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #7  

Haha thanks... I hope i can keep up with it!!! 5 more days of phase one Woohooo!!!! I was thinking of doing phase 1 longer if I can handle it. Do you think that would be ok? It doesn't say anywhere in the book if its ok to keep going with phase one or just do the 9 days and move to phase 2.

Last edited by Kritter; 11-05-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #8  

I don't see anything wrong with increasing your time on Phase I. As long as you're getting in plenty of the foods suggested you should be fine. I know I can't stay in Phase I, yearning for a latte. I'm a coffee fiend!! 4 days to go!!! WOOHOO!!!

If ever craving a taco you can use veggie crumbles or crumbled tofu for the 'meat', beans, and veggies filled in a lettuce wrap. I did this today with some leftover tofu, asparagus, and mushrooms and it was awesome! A Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie sounds good right about now too! I have yet to make the stuffed peppers...guess I'll make them tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #9  

I know I don't drink coffee very often but I am really craving a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks!!! I'll see how I feel when I complete phase one. I might be ready for phase 2 by then.

The taco's sound really good. I'll have to try that. I have been craving some meat lately though! Like a cheeseburger.

The sweet potato shepherd's pie sounds awesome!!! I have to get the recipe for that someday!!

I did try a veggie burger the other night that I got at trader joe's... it was awful! I have always had a hard time finding a good veggie burger or meatless products for that matter. They just don't taste good to me. Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #10  

Kritter> I'm not the biggest fan of veggie burgers myself but I usually eat them when my family is BBQing. Eating them alone is a bit harder...maybe try it with black beans and rice or crumble it up in a stir-fry or crumble it up with some rice and veggies and stuff in peppers.

Today wasn't a good day for me. I still stayed on plan but I didn't eat breakfast and that threw me off track. I have all these ideas for new recipes I want to try but since I'm the only one really eating the foods I'm making I always have a ton of leftovers. For instance yesterday I did the tofu etc. in lettuce wraps. Today I had brown rice, black beans, green beans, and the tofu mix with spinach. I'm trying so hard not to waste food so I always end up trying to make new meals out of what I already have. Some day I will do the stuffed peppers. I think I'll take the brown rice & green bean leftovers & mix in some veggie crumbles to stuff the peppers tomorrow.

For the shepherd's pie I use:
A Package of Veggie Crumbles
peas, carrots, onions, green beans (whatever veggies I have on hand)
Sweet Potatoes.
-I don't know quantities since I just wing it as I go. I think using soy sauce on the crumbles alone would be fine as well.

On to Day 7....

Oh! I also decided to purchase the book today, after reading through it Phase I does allow for snacks:
10 cashews
10-14 almonds
1 low-fat granola bar
you're also allowed 1tsp of sugar substitute....YEAH!!!

How did your day go?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #11  

I know what you mean about the extra food! I always have leftovers. I live by myself right now so its me or the trash and I don't like throwing money away!

It's hard for me if I don't eat breakfast too. I tend to go off track if I do. You seemed to hold it together though! I'm worried about this weekend! My sister invited me to this beerfest thing. So you know that's going to be a hard one!!

Thanks for the recipe!

You didn't have the book?! Did you follow the plan from online or something?

My day went well. I ate pretty good. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you but their eggplant parm is awesome!!! It only has 160 calories and its grilled. no breading! it did have some regular cheese but not a lot. Wasn't smothered in it.

It doesn't say anything in the book about hummus but I have been eating it. I love it. but I make sure not to eat too much. Well As long as I acn make it through the weekend I think I will be ok!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #12  

P.S. I don't know if you have had the Amy's frozen meals before? I had the eat one for lunch. I had no time to go home and make lunch like I usually do. I had the brown rice and veggie bowl. AWESOME ! Its was so tasty. Plus it was the perfect size to coordinate with phase 1!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #13  

I wish you the best of luck this weekend. Just do the best you can and if you happen to go off plan add another day to your Detox to make up for it. This diet is very forgiving. I will also have a challenging weekend since I will be visiting my parents who know little about being veggie. I don't eat dairy or eggs.

A good thing is that I made the stuffed peppers today, which came out amazingly. I used the leftover green beans and rice from yesterday and added some veggie crumbles, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and spices. It was a hit with the boyfriend as well. I have one pepper left over so I will take that with me to the parents.

My breakfast options are getting boring. I either do banana oatmeal or tofu scramble. I think tomorrow I'll just have tea and a banana.

Good Luck!!! Let me know how it goes!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #14  

Oh! I forgot to mention I am a huge Amy's fan!! I love the burritos but I know they're not on plan. I'll have to look into the veggie bowl....thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #15  

Hi. I am planning on starting this as well, TOMORROW. How important is it to give up coffee? and can you drink decaf? If not, then I guess I will just have to get past the headache that will surely come from no caffeine.

It sounds like an ok diet, but I am not into eating Tofu or drinking Soya. Just doesn't appeal to me at all, but there seems to be enough to eat. Will go look through the recipe.

Good luck gals