Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrgrl View Post

i have decided that Max Interval Circuit is my favorite of the 2nd month workouts. i burn like 550 calories during it and am dripping with sweat. plus, there are not a lot of moves that i am totally incapable of doing. i think i will continue doing this workout when i am finished with Insanity.
Good to hear that the 2nd month workouts aren't horrible. How much time do you think is actually cardio? I feel like the 1st month was about 20-25 minutes of exercise and the rest was stretching. I know you gals hate the warm up in the first month but its the stretching that bores me to death. I skip it.....bad girl

3 more month 1 workouts to go. I guess I should post pics when the time comes?

Oh and Kristyjoy, the boys are my fiance's college pals. Apparently they hang out with people like Stephen Colbert and Susan Sarandon and do design work for them. I don't even know what to say to people like that. It's such a different life from mine you know?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 214/198/150

Height: 5'6"

i'd say that probably a good 40 minutes is cardio, if you include the warm-up. i like the month 2 warm-ups better than month 1; they are a bit shorter and not as hard, actually.

definitely post pics!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #318  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdawn View Post
kristyjoy:
how long have you been doing insanity and ww? did you start them at the same time? have you tried the "**********" drinks? and do you use any type of recovery drinks? i've not. my husband does but i don't know how it would conflict with my ww points or if they really even make a difference. i don't want to add bulk and it seems to me that a lot of them concentrate on that.
I started WW the last week I was doing Insanity. My eating was out of control, I was just so hungry all the time while doing it. In my first week of WW (last week of Insanity), I lost 5 lbs. Over the entire course of Insanity, I only lost like 3 lbs, but I lost 3 inches off my waist, one off my hips, one off of each thigh and my arms stayed the same (but look visibly more toned).

I didn't use recovery drinks for Insanity, but I am now that I'm doing P90X. I didn't order the expensive Beachbody ones, I'm just using a Whey protein powder. It is only 3 WW points for one scoop. I mix it with 1/2 a banana (1 pt) and 1 c. almond milk (1 pt), and use it as an after-workout meal replacement.

I don't think you have to worry about adding bulk. Even the girls you see on P90X who are really hardcore aren't bulky at all, just very muscular. I've got a lot of padding over my muscles, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Hope that helps!

EDITED: I don't think I answered your question about recovery formulas. I'm pretty sure they don't focus on adding bulk, it's just important to have a lot of protein while you are doing strength training. I think the idea that you will get really bulky muscles as a woman if you do strength training is a myth. I think the only way you will be really bulky is if you are already high in testosterone or if you are taking steroids, but maybe Dingo can answer that as she is the medical expert.

Last edited by kristyjoy; 02-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #319  

S/C/G: 180/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hi ladies, so I am on day 4 cardio recovery. All I can say is OW! OW! OW! but I'm glad I didn't have to do any power jumps today. I took my before pictures today. Looking at the pictures really makes me want to work even harder. Is anyone taking any fat burners or diet pills? I see a lot of you joined weight watchers. I tried that once and went to all the meetings. The only thing they talked about was how to save your points so that you can drink each week. Needless to say I didn't lose very much. Should I try it online? What do you suggest?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #320  

just finished Max Plyo.......oof. i decided to just do sprints while they did the Power Push-ups to keep my heart rate up.

i also discovered i do the power jumps much better if i take a little hop in between instead of just doing them one after another. i saw someone in the back row doing this and will try it for my next Fit Test; power jumps are my nemesis.

i have not used any of the recovery formulas or anything that Beachbody sells, for what it's worth. and i agree that as a female you're not going to bulk up unless you A) have a hormonal imbalance or take steroids or B) work out much more than the "average" female is capable of working out (i mean in reference to having jobs/kids/etc).

for instance, think of Serena Williams (the tennis player). she, to me, is a bit bulky. i am not accusing her of using steroids, but working out is part of her job and i just don't think the average female is likely to be able to achieve those kind of results with the demands of a non-professional athlete's schedule.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 197/197/150

Height: 5-9

Okay so I'm in the second week, first day. I was pretty excited that I completed the warmup without stopping and the first set...hehehehe...other than that, I'm having to keep it slower than Shaun T and his gang. I'm still staying on the weight watchers wagon. I am not going to weigh, though, until the fourth week. I try to stay away from the scales, and just go by inches. I am so impressed with the energy that I have had this past week, even with starting my period, which normally bums me out and zaps me of energy....but I stayed pretty hyped up all week and weekend.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 197/197/150

Height: 5-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIRLIE GIRL View Post
Hi ladies, so I am on day 4 cardio recovery. All I can say is OW! OW! OW! but I'm glad I didn't have to do any power jumps today. I took my before pictures today. Looking at the pictures really makes me want to work even harder. Is anyone taking any fat burners or diet pills? I see a lot of you joined weight watchers. I tried that once and went to all the meetings. The only thing they talked about was how to save your points so that you can drink each week. Needless to say I didn't lose very much. Should I try it online? What do you suggest?
I used to feel the same way about the ww meetings. I felt like all they talked about was food...oh, how I would leave STARVING!!! So I quit going. I just do it on my own. I keep my log and go by my books/points. I used to go just to weigh in...but never stayed for the meetings. Then I decided that was a waste of money. I did join the online for a couple of months, but I didn't use it so I dropped it. I do pretty good just logging my points and doing it solo. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #323  
Weight is Just a Number!

I do WW on my own as well. I have all the materials and just go at it alone. I don't really need meetings or e-tools, I can figure it out. My roommate and I are doing it together, we have little "meetings" every week -- we weigh in, share our losses and discuss our goals for the week. It's MUCH better, and we are so supportive of each other. It seems to be working too.

Anyway, I'm doing P90X now and I haven't done a single Insanity workout since I finished over a week ago. I plan on doing it once in a while, but I'm trying to get the hang of P90X first.

Also, Chrgrl, I often did sprints if I was not able to do a certain move but wanted to keep my heart rate up.

As for power jumps...oh man, those are killers, but I can't believe how many I can do now.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #324  
Cat

S/C/G: 198/T/135

Height: 5'9"

kristyjoy, how are you liking P90X?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #325  
Weight is Just a Number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgeraghty View Post
kristyjoy, how are you liking P90X?
I like it! Especially the yoga, it's my favorite so far. I do Kenpo X today for the first time and I'm excited.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/145 HW: 232

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyjoy View Post
I think the idea that you will get really bulky muscles as a woman if you do strength training is a myth. I think the only way you will be really bulky is if you are already high in testosterone or if you are taking steroids, but maybe Dingo can answer that as she is the medical expert.
HA! expert! I am the lowest on the food chain health care provider wise (ask chrgrl). I think kristyjoy is right-o though. The only non-steroid way to bulk up is to do heavy, heavy lifting. p90x is not even close, Insanity doesn't have weight lifting. You will feel better in your own skin with some muscle tone, I really enjoy it. Especially the oblique abs! Love em!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #327  
Cat

S/C/G: 198/T/135

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyjoy View Post
I like it! Especially the yoga, it's my favorite so far. I do Kenpo X today for the first time and I'm excited.
Kenpo X is one of my favorite workouts out of any program. I always burn a lot of calories and it's a great one to get out some aggression.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #328  

well, today i did Max Recovery. i was going to just skip it this week b/c we were supposed to have a meeting after work tomorrow, but it got cancelled.

i lost interest within 5 minutes and decided to run on the treadmill instead. i ran 3 miles in 34 minutes, which is an improvement from last week when i ran it in 36 minutes. i still need to shave 4 minutes off, though, since my boss challenged me to run our 5K in april in under 30 minutes.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #329  

S/C/G: 180/135

Height: 5' 5"

whoo hoo!! pure cardio!! what's the word I need ....exhilerating..??....I loved it. It was just what I needed after 9 hours of sitting at a desk all day. I am exhausted and my entire body is sore but it was great. I'm going to sleep good tonight!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #330  

well i'm not sure how, but apparently i lost 4 lbs last week. i ate all my daily points and weekly points but didn't eat any activity points, so i'm going to work these in this week for sure!

not sure if this is what they were talking about when people said you really start to see results in the second month!

the bummer is that next week i will probably gain.
Closed Thread