Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #106  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ah Never weigh after a leg day... That might make a slight amount of sense, since I've been having DOMS since, er half an hour after my leg weights on Sunday!

I know I need more water, I'm thirsty! I'm almost never thirsty! The cold and lack of light is getting me too! Ugh ick! I need lunch, look out chicken and bacon, here I come!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #107  

I did it. 45 minutes of cardio and a 30 of weights. The alarm went off, I turned it off (along with DH's by mistake - OOPS!), went to the bathroom, got back in bed, got out of bed, stood by the bed trying to decide whether or not to put on my tennis shoes or crawl back in, then realized how silly it was for there to be such a huge production JUST to go do something that I know is going to make me feel good. So, off I went and I feel so much better. There is no reason in the world that I shouldn't get back to doing this every morning.

I've been thinking about the way those extra pounds sneak up on us. I know our bodies don't metabolize food instantly and that I may be able to go on a real bender for a couple of weeks without the scale ever showing a gain only to get back on track for a couple of weeks and then wonder where the heck those 2 pounds came from (becuase of course that two week bender is now long forgotten!). It is so irritating.

I've got my meals all planned out for today. For the first time in a while I feel like I'm actually trying to lose weight again. I've been going back and forth for a while. It hasn't hurt but it hasn't gotten me anywhere either. I suspect that I needed time to mentally/emotionally to catch up with the progress my body has made. I needed to get to a point where I felt like these weren't the last 20 of my original goal but the first 20 of a new goal. I knew a couple of months ago that what what needed to happen and I even tried to talk myself into being in that place but it didn't really work. I just wasn't ready. I think I've finally stopped thinking of myself as a 214 pound woman who has lost 70+ and instead see myself as a 140ish pound woman who needs to lose 20.

Everybody else doing okay today?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #108  
aka Superwoman!

Doin okay Ma'm!

I'm feeling the need to beat something up, after wasting IMMENSE amounts of charity work time reading about Ms Skwigg (skwigg.com) and her freaky martial arts. I will go home and train like the I might even go out for a run as soon as I get in, if this Pepsi Max high continues
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #109  
Jennifer

2frus - Ah, the DOMS. It's soooooo painful this time since I've missed my leg days for a month. I know it's a good thing and means I'm making progress, but OW. I am walking like Frankenstein!

Hey, good news, all. After being VERY disappointed on the scale this morning (I'm still inexplicably 3 pounds up from my low last week, which really doesn't make any sense - in terms of calories in, calories out), I decided I would take measurements for the first time since early January, in hopes that the news would be good. My friends, the news was even better than I expected! I'm down 2 inches in my chest (eep, I wouldn't have chosen that as a priority, but hey ), an inch and a half off my waist (only one more inch until I'm in the 20s for the first time EVER), one inch from my abdomen, an inch off my hips, and a half-inch off my thighs!

I know I'm feeling smaller and my clothes are looser, so this little gain blip is baffling. The scale is sure the sometimes!!!!

Hope everyone is well today! Lucky, congrats on making it to the gym. When I'm not feeling it, I always remind myself that I've never once regretted going, but I've regretted NOT going plenty of times.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #110  

WOW! Jennifer, those inches lost are impressive! I wouldn't worry about the chest measurement going down - those inches may have come from the back and sides and not *ahem* THE chest. Or at least that is what I always tell myself! I think you've just given me my new mantra. You are absolutely right - I've never regretted going to the gym even if I've gotten there and exercised without enthusiasm. I have a step class tonight and I always look forward to them so today shouldn't give me pause.

I probably need to have my measurments taken too. I last had it done 12/28 and I've been too scared to do it since then because I haven't been exercising like I need too. Even with the scale moving back down I'm afraid I may have added some inches. It would probably do me good to face the music. I think I'll to that tonight before the step class. I'll let you know how it turns out - admitting any gains will do me good too!

Have a great day!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around but my computer has been giving me grief.

Welcome Jennifer and congrats on your weight loss. You're a true inspiration!

I'm still struggling with these two extra mystery pounds. I refuse to change my ticker though because I KNOW that they'll come back off. Plus my meausurements haven't increased. I have 5 more ballet costumes to make so that'll keep me occupied. Not to mention the fact that I've had to shovel 3 times in the last 24 hrs. Exercise is exercise though.

Gaylyn
Old 02-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #112  

We are getting a sneak preview of spring today - beautiful sunshine and a high of 70 degrees. We've had nothing but rain and cold for so long that I knew it was affecting my mood (and weight loss efforts!) but didn't realize just how much until today. Unfortunately, we are expecting more rain tonight and for the next several days. So, we are outside enjoying it while we can. I'm deciding what vegetables we will plant next month and looking forward to visiting the blueberry farm that is near by. We pick our own each year, the kids love it, and we get a ton of berries for a ridiculously low price. I've got my mouth watering for fresh fruit and vegetables now!

So, the weather today has me looking ahead to spring and summer. I'm not putting my efforts off until then but I do think things will get much easier once nicer weather is here. First of all, we are much more active in general. I still go to the gym, but the kids and I are moving around much more - swimming, tennis, etc. Plus, I eat much lighter when the weather is warm. Not less, necessarily, but lighter. Not to mention that I drink a lot more water. It is a strange feeling to actually look forward to summer - I used to dread swimsuit season.

Gaylyn, I'm glad you aren't worrying too much about those extra two pounds. You are right that they will come back off. Of course, that doesn't make them any less irritating. I know, I've been losing and gaining the same two pounds for a few weeks now. I have a feeling, though, that this will be the week my weight stablizes and I'll have a better idea of where I REALLY am weightwise. I hope the same happens for you!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 AM   #113  
aka Superwoman!

I'm burnt out!

I'm taking this week off kickboxing and running and weights. I am going to need a straight jacket to keep me from exercising! Although judging from yesterday's performance (20 hours sleep) I'll probably enjoy the rest!

Eating over the weekend has been apalling, but I'm not too worried, since I was tired and needed energy, in the form of cakes and bread... Never mind, I am back on the healthy wagon today, I'm just not obsessing about things so much this week, I'm going to try and have a "normal" relationship with food this week! Ah you shouldda seen what I ate yesterday - NORMAL it was NOT!

The scales are still in the cupboard! I'm going to go by how clothes "feel" and how much energy I have for my kickboxing and really not worry at all about things. I think I'm going to practise maintenance for a while and forget stressing about having a bad day/weekend!

Meanwhile, my immune system has taken the week off too! Bah! I'm all snotty! At least I have plenty of fruit with me to counteract the snot!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #114  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Just found this thread and I think it is somewhere I may need at the moment. I know I have come a long way in just over 2 years of new lifestyle, but I am getting very frustrated with how long it is taking to lose the last 15lbs. I really want to be able to say that I am in the "Healthy Weight Range", and that is just sitting out of reach. I actually only have to lose about 7lbs to reach a healthy weight I think, but I want the other 8lbs off so that I have a little bit of breathing range, especially around TOM. THAT is what caused this slow down to start with I think. I went off the contraceptive needle towards the end of last year and my cycle started again. From then on, I have struggled back and forth with the weight. I lose some, then I gain some (which I didn't do for over a year solid), then I lose more, but gain some around TOM again. I know it could also just be slowing as I am nearing my goal weight. Not really sure. I have a friend who is a dietitian who is helping me out, so hopefully we'll be able to kick start things again soon.

It is great to see that there are many other people who are just as frustrated as I am at the moment.

Take care all,

Zelma
Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #115  
aka Superwoman!

Hi Zelma - snap on many things

I really need to remember that I'm looking after myself rather than punishing/building/ripping muscle and/or body fat! It's a lifetime thing and I need to get my head around being kind to myself all the time, not just to reach a specific goal... That's March's goal!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #116  
Jennifer

Ah, Zelma, I know your pain all too well! I lose/gain during my cycle much the same way you described. Right now, though, I'm having an even worse problem -- I'm still gaining for no reason at all. This morning I was exactly 4 pounds up since the 15th. My eating has been slightly off since my husband recently returned from a 5-week trip to Alaska, but I've definitely been in the "maintenance" zone rather than the "gain five pounds" zone.

It occurred to me this weekend that the culprit actually MAY be the generic b.c. pill they had to give me this month. I know it's the same medicine, but even if the doses are slightly different it could make a difference. I gained exactly the same way when I first started taking this pill. So... keep your fingers crossed for me. This week is going to be all about getting the eating back to its previously pristine state, so if I'm *still* gaining, I will KNOW it's something else!

2f, I think taking a break is a good idea. Your schedule always makes me tired just to hear about it, so I'm not surprised you need a breather! Come next week, I bet you'll be raring to go with even more energy!

Off to the gym after work today. Should have gone this morning, but it was SO cold out there. Thought it might be better after the sun has had a chance to warm things a bit.

Hope everyone is well today!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #117  

Welcome, Zelma! Your before and after pictures are amazing! Isn't it funny that we can lose so much weight and then get this frustrated with a lousy 10-15 pounds? I remember being so annoyed by people who complained about having 20 pounds to lose and would talk about it like it was the end of the world. Little did I know! Like you, I plan on losing a little more than necessary so that I've got a some elbow room. Once I really get comfortable with maintaining I don't expect to need it. But, when I first start trying to figure out what my calorie and exercise levels will have to be to maintain I want a 5 or so pound allowence to work within.

2fustrated, sounds like you've got a plan. Everybody needs a break now and then. At least I think so. And with all of the exercise you've described in your posts I'd say your a good candidate for a little rest and relaxation!

Jennifer, I think the fat fairy must be making her rounds because I had an unexpected gain yesterday too. 142.4 - BLECH! I've been doing everything right, though, and I know it will come off. I had a really terrible couple of weeks last month and I suspect they are just now catching up to me. I have nobody to blame but myself and all I can do is commit to doing better from here on out.

This week is off to a good start. My eating is under control and I'm back into an exercise routine. I am trying to decide whether or not I should bite the bullet and drop my calories down a bit. Right now I'm in the 1500-1800 range. I maintain at this level without exercise and lose very slowly if I do exercise. I think eating 1200-1300 would make a world of difference but that is WAY outside my comfort zone. Of course, that is probably the best indication that I actually need to push myself there. We'll see. I'm going to keep everything as is this week and decide based on my progress when I weigh in Sunday.

I have a question. Do you guys find yourself less driven at this point? I have never depended on being motivated to stick to my plan. I knew from the beginning that I wouldn't be able to count on always being excited to eat right and exercise. But I had so far to go that it was easier to talk myself into doing what I had to do. I was plagued with health issues and I hated what I saw in the mirror so making the right choices, even when I didn't want to, seemed much easier. Now, there isn't quite so much at stake and it seems more difficult to force myself to do the right things when I really don't feel like doing them. Things like these extra two pounds always slap me back to reality so I know I'll never let things get completely out of hand. I feel as though I have so few things propelling me towards my goal these days. I'm relying the "Just Do It" mentality at this point and I know that will get me to where I want to be. Still, I wish I had a carrot to dandle in front of the horse so to speak. Okay, enough rambling from me.

Have a great day!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #118  
aka Superwoman!

My drive has completely gone! I think that's the main reason I'm still stuck here!! I do what I know I should, then after a few days I feel like I've been good and blow all the hard work out of the water!

I can look in the mirror and look nice in my clothes, sometimes see my abs, see muscle definition and it's all good. So the motivation to look better, well it's not as strong as the motivation to sit on my lardy arse and eat cookies, obviously!

I wish I had something that would push me to the edge, like if I couldn't do another belt before I lost 7lbs or something. God that would be irritating, but you know what I mean! Maybe it's time to be happy where I am for a little while and concentrate on other things, concentrate on not stuffing my face all weekend, every weekend!! Concentrate on treating myself with small things every day, or just concentrate on eating a little less.

I have things I want to do when I get to goal, like professional pictures and bikini holidays and the like (I've already bought the bikinis and they look ok), but it can't be a good incentive, because the incentive of instant gratification is winning at the moment!

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want the most for what you want now."

So there you go... Now if only I could remember that, and all the other stuff that I have in my sig!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #119  

I've micromanaged my diet and exercise for more than a year now. It has worked for me so far but I think it may have run its course. I've noticed over the past few weeks that I eat LESS if my eating plan is a little less structured. I don't mean not having a basic plan or idea of what I'll be eating for the day but just less routine. For instance, I'm staying between 1500 and 1800 calories right now. Having that set limit leads me to eat when I otherwise wouldn't because, "I have 400 calories left." Like everything else about weight loss it is a mental thing for me. I'm starting to think that this lifestyle is ingrained now and that I can afford to relax a bit and just follow my instincts. I'm going to give it a shot for a week or so. I still intend to enter everything into fitday, but not until the end of the day. I will still measure and weigh my food, etc. But, I need to lower my calorie intake to get these last pounds off. Micromanaging every bite is making me miss those extra calories. On days that I've just winged it though, I've come in right between 1200-1300 calories. I suppose it boils down to trusting myself. Up until this point I haven't. I think I need to prove to myself that I can so that I can truly get out of the "diet" frame of mind. I know that I'll never be able to quit paying attention to how I eat all together. But I think it is time to start following my body's signals more and use fitday as a check and balance system.

Of course, this might fail miserabley. LOL. But, I need something new. The grind of using the same approach for so long is starting to get to me. I expect I will eventually get back to how I've been doing things. For now, though, a change will do me good!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky
I have a question. Do you guys find yourself less driven at this point?

Yes, yes yes!!!!! Even though I am still faithfully following plan, it's a daily struggle within my mind to stay on track. Plus my free MEAL on Saturdays has turned into a free DAY. I went back and added up what I ate a couple of Saturdays ago and it was well over 3000cals!! I usually take in slightly more than that over three days. So this Saturday I'm back to my one free meal and I will NOT go over 2000cals for that day. That's my mini goal for this week and hopefully I can get away from 155. I tell ya, these last 15 lbs are going to kill me!!

Welcome Zelma and what amazing pics!!
Closed Thread