Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 AM   #706  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm doing ok! I seem to have the low calories sorted with nary a grumbly tummy! I was thinking last night that a few weeks ago I would've gone out and bought ice creams when it was hot... Or not even when it was hot! Today I just don't really want one! I'd rather be thin thank you very much!

The scales are down 3lbs from Monday, so that's good! Some of it was water retention from the pizza and some of it must've been fat, because I've been SUPER-GOOD!

Instead of dreading my upcoming French holiday - I am realising that I can still choose healthy food when I'm on holiday. Granted I would like to eat flan and croissants, but just thinking about fat and carbs together and what Tom V said about them being the worst for fat storing... WELL! I think I'll be steering away from THEM! I'm also going to take some snacks - nuts, apples, quorn sausages etc so that I don't get too ravenous with only the patisserie to buy things from! I hope there's plenty of fresh fruit markets on the streets!

Lucky - I feel that flame too, this time it's there and it's not going out in a hurry. I just feel like - for sake! Let's get this done and quit messing around!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #707  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh oh oh oh oh gals. What have I gotten myself into this time????
I have worked in the same teeny tiny hospital for 27 years. A couple of years ago it was amalgamated with a couple of other ones around here and a big one (the mother ship) in a quite large town about 45 minutes from here. Our little joint is soooo quiet right now that I was looking at getting no hours from three shifts I was booked for this weekend.
Remember me whining about how tight things were around here financially?
My director called an offered me a shift at the mother ship. It's a stable medical floor so that's OK. I can do that almost anywhere. Money called, I said I would.
It's a twelve hour night!!! In a huge building full of strangers. I don't even know where to go. My director is going to meet me at the door (if I can find a parking spot.)
I am scared witless!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #708  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
Oh oh oh oh oh gals. What have I gotten myself into this time????
I have worked in the same teeny tiny hospital for 27 years. A couple of years ago it was amalgamated with a couple of other ones around here and a big one (the mother ship) in a quite large town about 45 minutes from here. Our little joint is soooo quiet right now that I was looking at getting no hours from three shifts I was booked for this weekend.
Remember me whining about how tight things were around here financially?
My director called an offered me a shift at the mother ship. It's a stable medical floor so that's OK. I can do that almost anywhere. Money called, I said I would.
It's a twelve hour night!!! In a huge building full of strangers. I don't even know where to go. My director is going to meet me at the door (if I can find a parking spot.)
I am scared witless!
Susan,

You'll be fine! I worked as an agency nurse and was sent to many different places, working many different units. Sure, the building was different but nursing is nursing and patients are the same regardless of where they are.
Good luck! I'm sure you'll end up with lots of new friends and they'll be begging you to come back to work more shifts!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #709  

OH Susan....give the new folks a few minutes and they will love you as much as we do! Good luck!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #710  

Susan, if anybody can handle a big change it is YOU! And what perfect financial timing. Think of it as an adventure that you get paid to go on. Have fun!

What do you know. I woke up this morning back on the bandwagon. The kids woke me up early but I just lollygagged under the sheets and tried to think through all of the weight issues I've been having. First of all, they've gone on longer than I've realized. I've come to accept that I don't really gain weight any faster than I lose it. It just seems that way because when I'm gaining I'm not paying a whole lot of attention. That is one thing that has been holding me back with this extra weight I've put on. I want it off and I want it off now. When it doesn't happen that way I'm giving up. Now, I know better than that. It is a terrible attitude that I didn't even recognize I had until I stopped and really, really thought about it.

And another thing. I am proof that a failure to plan is a plan to fail. Summer started out great - so motivating. But as the weeks have passed I've let lazy summer days become the norm. I'm relaxing with the kids, playing things by ear, letting any amount of planning go by the wayside. That means instead of eating a planned lunch I'm milling around the kitchen snacking on this and that. We all know what that means LOTS of unplanned (and unaccounted for) calories. Easy enough to fix. I know what I have to do. I can't let the season dictate how I eat. I still need five to six smaller meals and they need to be planned in advance and eaten on some sort of schedule.

Another big obstacle has been the scale. I need to get on it more often. I've avoided it all together and that has allowed me to live in denial. At one point, when things were smooth sailing, I weighed every day. I can't do that now because the slightest ounce lost is a license to stop paying attention again. I have to go back to stepping on the scale once a week - often enough to see and track results, but infrequently enough not to create head games.

So, here I am, back at square one. And you know what? It isn't that bad of a place to be. Especially since I'm not here weighing 214 pounds. I've got to start thinking of this weight (whatever it is...I'll be weighing in Monday since TOM is here and I'm one of those freaks of nature that actually loses water weight during this time - and I want an accurate as possible starting weight) as my start weight. I need to begin a brand new journey. If I don't I'm afraid I'll just keep packing on the pounds and justifying each one by thinking, "I'm still waaaaay thinner than I used to be." Doing that will put me back at square one weighing 214 pounds. EWWWWW!

Okay, I'm done rambling. How's everyone else these days?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #711  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisimae
OH Susan....give the new folks a few minutes and they will love you as much as we do! Good luck!
I totally AGREE, Susan , you'll do great!! Just don't eat the new stress you'll be having...

I'm so out of tune these days, this week I made it to the gym 3 days in a row, and each time I did 4k runs... Now I haven't gone in 4days!! Tomorrow I must go AND I must run... If I run I must get up bright and early because it's gonna be a hot one! I getting pshyche tonight!!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #712  

Well, I picked myself up this morning, brushed myself off, and hit the gym. I took my time and enjoyed myself. Even made a point to spend time in the sauna after my workout. Plus, I ate perfectly clean. I feel like my old "new" self again. I realize I've been like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde in terms of my weight loss attempts so who know what tomorrow has in store. I've already made up my mind, though, that if I wake up and the tables have turned once again I'm just going to fake it and make the RIGHT choices anyway. Period.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #713  

Go Lucky!

Thanks gals! Your encouragement really helped. My legs are tired and my bed is calling but it wasn't too bad. Busy enough and the patients heavy enough that I didn't have much time to be self-conscious or hungry.

Have a nice Father's day and I'll catch up after some zzzzz's.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #714  

I got up at 1:30, by 2:30 we were at a funeral visitation. By 3:30 we were at a 50th anniversary party. But it was all good! Lots of people wanted to talk about how nice and slim I am and one young gal is pretty interested in the fact that I lift weights.
Now? ... now I'm just waiting for it to be a decent time for an adult human to go to bed.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #715  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Susan~~I'm glad the extra shift went well for you. I hope you got some rest.

lucky~~You've inspired me AGAIN! Thank you!

I was just planning on coasting though the summer and getting back to losing in the fall but last week was a total blow out. 10 lb gain. Obviously coasting is NOT for me. I NEED to stay in control of my calories. So here is the plan. Back to strict calorie counting. Everything needs to be journaled. My exercise is still good but I'm going to add in extra workouts in the evening three times a week. I think I've finally accepted that this is my life and I'm going to have to be consious of my calories for the rest of my life if I want to stay slim.

Gaylyn
Old 06-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #716  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Hello all. I've been reading through all the posts on this forum to get acquainted with everyone. I really feel like I know you all from these "Featherweight" posts to other areas all around 3FC.

I started my lifetime change back in January after turning 41 and realizing that I can control and enjoy life or life will control me (and it probably won't be enjoyed!). I've lost 30# already with about 20 more to go, so I feel like I most fit here with you guys.

Now that I'm over half way I am finding new challenges to my weight loss, in particular. I'm getting the comments like "you will just be unhealthy if you lose any more". Where were these guys when my BMI was shouting OBESE? And, since I want my goal to only be about 5 lbs less than what my doctor's goal for me is - how can this make me unhealthy? I know that I will need the 5lbs as a buffer to keep watch over when I maintain (for life).

The weight loss by eating healthier was just the first step. Now I am finding that exercise is not only doable, but required to feel better. So the keys for my success so far have been: calorie counting, journaling, and exercising. Now as I approach the mid-life of my plan (to lose the remainder of the weight), I need to start thinking new mind thoughts so that I will be able to maintain once I get there for the rest of my life journey.

So can I come along with you guys?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #717  

Welcome! You will find tons of support and some really great people here.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #718  

Welcome Softballmom! I am so glad you joined us. Congratulations on the weight you've lost already - GREAT JOB! You will find all of the support you need to tackle the last 20 pounds right here. I love your attitude and hope it is contagious. As you might have read, I need all of the help I can get these days!

With that said, things are (once again) falling into place for me. I went shopping the other day and trying on clothes just wasn't as fun as it was this time last year (when my 8's were getting loose and I was dangerously close to wearing a 6 quite comfortably). Thankfully, that instilled the sense of urgency that I've been looking for. I know at least part of the reason that I keep becoming complacent is that I've lost my fat fear. Well, I found it again at the mall (of all places!). So, I've gotten three good days of eating clean and exercising under my belt and I'm starting feel that drive again (what's that, like the 20th time in the past two months?). Admittedly, the past few days has been pure planning and forced tunnel vision. My "this is just how I live" mentality isn't 100% yet...but I'll get it back again!

Gaylyn, you said exactly what has been on my mind. The really stupid thing is that I've known all along I wouldn't be able to stop being a mindful eater. I think that is why I'm not particularly frustrated that I've regained some weight. I knew what I was doing, I knew the consequences, and still chose to slack on exercise and eat without a plan. Yes, it was a bad choice, but it was a choice all the same. Now, I'm sort of coming around and realizing again how important getting back to 134 (or lower! But, hey, one step at a time) is to me. It really boils down to a matter of priority...and my weight is my first one again.

Susan, did you get some sleep? Sounds like a nice rest was well deserved so I sure hope so! Congratulations on motivating a few friends to jump on the healthy bandwagon. I've always enjoyed getting people to at least consider lifting weights. Of course diet and exercise have been the two most important components to my weight loss program. But, when it comes to actually LOOKING the way I want weights are where it is at!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #719  

Hi everybody! I did sleep very well, thanks. Housework for me today. Big time!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #720  

Good Morning! We're leaving on vacation later today and I'm doing the old kick in the pants thing that I haven't been more diligent for the last few days. It's one thing to have vacation carry-over but a prestart?? .... tisk, tisk!
So I'm gonna do mega workout today hopefully making myself sleepy enough to sleep in the car tonight. I'm a fidgetted rider and probably drive my poor husband nutty.
Closed Thread