Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #1  

Default Ever have problems with people not being supportive?

A lot of my family members eat whatever they want/don't exercise. Some of the have serious weight problems or are developing weight problems. Some of them are young enough and have good enough metabolisms that it isn't effecting them yet.

They act like because I'm not obese I should not be watching my calories or exercising. Has anyone else run into this? I feel like they think if they're heavier than me, and I'm trying to maintain my health, it's saying something about them.

There's just not any encouragement for my efforts. If anything, there's discouragement. It's frustrating! I used to have a fitness buddy in one relative close to my age, but she has gained a lot of weight over the past couple years since getting into a longterm relationship and makes rude comments about my fitness attempts.

Last edited by CabernetKitty; 12-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I got a lot of support/encouragement on the way down, but now that I'm maintaining I get the same attitude that you're describing. I'm "done" in people's minds so I must cease going to the gym, relax on my eating, etc. It's maddening. Refusing something sweet (that I really don't want. I NEVER was a big sweets person) is met with a nasty remark telling me I need to "relax."

Ok, like I want to gain the weight back.

The only advice I really have is to just keep doing your own thing. It's incredibly hard to change others' attitudes and I find the best way is to simply lead by example. Your own success and attitude may hopefully inspire others.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I got a lot of support/encouragement on the way down, but now that I'm maintaining I get the same attitude that you're describing. I'm "done" in people's minds so I must cease going to the gym, relax on my eating, etc. It's maddening. Refusing something sweet (that I really don't want. I NEVER was a big sweets person) is met with a nasty remark telling me I need to "relax."

Ok, like I want to gain the weight back.

The only advice I really have is to just keep doing your own thing. It's incredibly hard to change others' attitudes and I find the best way is to simply lead by example. Your own success and attitude may hopefully inspire others.
Ahhh thank you for this response!!! This is exactly my experience. You're never "done" with fitness and eating well, I don't get why people have this attitude. It's not a crazy crash diet, it's a lifestyle.

I have family members that will just cut me a slice of cake and bring it to me and if I don't want it I get the same attitude you experience??

You're totally right. You can't change other people, only your responses to them.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 149.2/145.3/130

Height: 5'5

I've noticed this especially from my friends, many of whom are 'naturally' thin, and have never been a diet before. They just want me to eat and drink as much as they do, so its definitely temptation. I just have to say NO, haha. However I've also noticed this attitude from family member who are heavy themselves. In their case I think it's because their a bit envious and they as well want to lose weight, but something is preventing them from reaching their goal.
KatieRN1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #5  
Do you even lift, bro?

S/C/G: 125/109/110

Height: 5'3''

Yeah, my family and friends never support me. No one understands my desire to be skinnier than average.

Last edited by Aidanqm; 01-11-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Aidanqm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanqm View Post
Yeah, my family and friends never support me. No one understands my desire to be skinnier than average.
MAybe I'm reading your post wrong, but IMO, there's a difference between people not supporting someone who is mildly overweight and people not supporting someone trying to get unhealthily thin.

Perhaps that's not what you meant, but your SW/CW/GW tells me you are looking for support in becoming underweight.
MissJeanLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #7  
Do you even lift, bro?

There is a huge difference between shedding fat and weight. I have a great base fitness level and a good amount of muscle from lifting. I just want to lean out as much as possible for running. I'm training for a ragnar relay and a summer marathon. Every pound of fat is a hindrance when you're running 26.2 miles. Running is a weight controlled sport and in order to be competitive for my Ragnar team, I need to get rid of any extra fat. By "bmi" standards, yeah, it's underweight. But BMI doesn't tell anything about health. It doesn't tell about muscle to fat ratio nor does it factor bone/tissue/water weight, etc.

I'm going to lose it the healthy way.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

I know, I get it too because I'm not overweight at the start. I want to lose weight because I got about 25lbs heavier suddenly during college from my usual weight. Some people don't understand that though because they think I shouldn't worry because I'm still not overweight even after the weight gain. Like what? am I suppose to wait until I'm like 50lbs overweight to begin losing weight? Obviously no, I'm getting flabbier and my jeans are tighter that's good enough reason for me to change.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #9  
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemongrab View Post
I know, I get it too because I'm not overweight at the start. I want to lose weight because I got about 25lbs heavier suddenly during college from my usual weight. Some people don't understand that though because they think I shouldn't worry because I'm still not overweight even after the weight gain. Like what? am I suppose to wait until I'm like 50lbs overweight to begin losing weight? Obviously no, I'm getting flabbier and my jeans are tighter that's good enough reason for me to change.
Oh my god. Thank you. Someone who finally understands. What's wrong with wanting to be the best physical shape you can be? I know that there isn't such a thing as "perfection," and that fat and muscle can fluctuate in a year. But! But there is such a thing as feeling and looking your best. Striving for being very physically fit and always pushing the limit. And if you find yourself slipping even a little bit, to get right back on track. Amen, sister.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Weight, weight loss, maintenance, building muscle, eating well. . . all of these things are not well understood by all people, maybe even most people. Some of it is true misunderstanding, some of it is jealousy, some of it is even legitimate concern from friends/family who just don't get it.

I get annoyed sometimes too for SURE, but I don't expect someone who isn't in my shoes to understand. It's my body, my goals, no one else gets a say in it.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #11  

Quote:
There is a huge difference between shedding fat and weight. I have a great base fitness level and a good amount of muscle from lifting. I just want to lean out as much as possible for running. I'm training for a ragnar relay and a summer marathon. Every pound of fat is a hindrance when you're running 26.2 miles. Running is a weight controlled sport and in order to be competitive for my Ragnar team, I need to get rid of any extra fat. By "bmi" standards, yeah, it's underweight. But BMI doesn't tell anything about health. It doesn't tell about muscle to fat ratio nor does it factor bone/tissue/water weight, etc.

Sorry---I get it now. I misunderstood from your first post. No hard feelings?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #12  
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJeanLouise View Post
Sorry---I get it now. I misunderstood from your first post. No hard feelings?
No hard feelings, sister!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #13  

Quote:
No hard feelings, sister!
You're so gracious! Honestly, I think I'm just envious. While I don't have a lot to lose, there's no way anyone would really say I have none to lose!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #14  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

More muscle = better running = higher weight (within healthy weight range). I have seen dropping below healthy weight range hinder running performance in about 99% of the cases.
I support your endevours; at the same time, I want you to be aware of the facts. I think knowledge is an important tool.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Well, if Aidanqm wants to be a marathon runner then 102lbs at 5'3 is not unreasonable for that particular sport. I'm a powerlifter and at 5'5, 132lbs is the 'correct' weight class for that height (without getting overweight).

You won't have much muscle at 102lbs and 5'3 tbh (that, combined with low body fat, makes an endurance marathoner) but it's not like an eating disorder or anything, it's about being the right physique for the sport
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote