Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #1  

Default 15 WEEKS until Christmas!....Anyone want to start EXERCISING with me?

ok...so I have put off exercise long enough. As a Merry Christmas gift to myself....I am going to start a 15-week exercise program where I start off SMALL and work my way up to harder and harder...really trying to push myself. I must admit...I am VERY nervous about GAINING weight doing this?? I have been at a standstill for ONE full yr. now.

Anybody out there who keeps telling themself they really want to start doing "something" CONSTITANTLY? Well...here is your chance to have some partners and a support team...Let's do it!! Whereas anyone is WELCOME....I am just a mere beginner as I have NOT stayed with anything long enough for it to really make a difference in my weight or the shape of my body.

I have designed my plan as follows: Gym...three days a week. Once a week..I will begin a NEW exercise....with each week building on the last week. I also have more intense GOALS planned out for each 10 pounds I go down. Such as HOT YOGA when I reach 209...TEN pounds away form onederland.

So...for WEEK #1......Tues. & Thurs. = WALK
Mon. & Wed. & Fri. = Gym raquetball and SWIMMING

Anyone else for a NEW...consistant exercise program? Tomorrow is a new day....15 weeks to a healthy, firmer body!

Last edited by Skinny4baby; 09-10-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I would love to join in! I've been looking for a new challenge, and this sounds great!

Here are my (minimum/starting) goals:

Week 1:
Wed: elliptical 30 min
Thurs: Walk away the pounds DVD (30 min)
Fri: elliptical 30 min
Sat: elliptical 30 min
Sun: skip day
Mon: elliptical 30 min
Tues: Hip Hop Abs DVD (30 min)

I like the idea of adding on to your workouts bit by bit!
My Sat/Sun schedule might alternate. It depends on which day I have off that week.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 09-11-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #3  
93.6lbs to go!

S/C/G: 220/205.6/112

Height: 5'5"

**** yeah people! 15 weeks! If I worked really hard I could lose 30lbs in that time - so I'd be down to 184lbs by Christmas.

OK week 1 then:

Friday: 90 minutes gym, one workout DVD
Saturday: 90 minutes gym
Sunday: made some plans, but hopefully at least 60mins gym
Monday: 90 minutes gym, one workout DVD
Tuesday: no gym, workout DVD
Wednesday: 90 minutes gym, workout DVD
Thursday: 60 minutes gym, packing
Friday: moving house, but will try to get 60 minutes gym

Let's do this!
from220to112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  

Default I am soooo BAD!

I am ALREADY dreading this??? What the heck is wrong with me people? Exercising for me is ALOT harder than not eating?? I woke up..thinking..Great..I MUST start walking today???

Oh well....I will put on my shoes (that are by the door by the way) and I will go out to the street ( I have a perfect neighborhood for walking) and I will walk until I get tired...I am NOT going to measure myself or time myself for now..I am just merely going to walk and a hard steady pace for today.

I have such a BAD attitude towards exercise? See IF you two girlys had not joined me...I guarantee you I would of NOT went??
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #5  

Skinny4baby: Thank you for starting this thread! I am so jazzed about starting a consistent routine. By using your 15 weeks to the holidays approach I know that by that time it will be a habit and I will be well on my way to a healthier me.

A little about me. I have struggled with weight since adolescence, but mostly after high school when I moved out on my own. I have a wonderfully supportive family that will get behind whatever I decide to do. I have been married for 19 years. For 10 of those years my husband and I struggled with infertility before we found a clinic that found the right methods to get me to ovulate. For 3 years we were on a rollercoaster of treatments, pregnancies and chronic misscarriages which really did a number on me physically and emotionally. My weight crept up and crept up until I did successfully carry to term our beautiful daughter Olivia. Then just 10 months later we conceived again naturally and successfully had our second daughter Zoe. Needless to say being overweight I did not gain much with each pregnancy, 7lbs total with Olivia and 12lbs total with Zoe; however, none of the weight went away! I still weigh only 5lbs less as the day I gave birth to Zoe two years later. I would have thought I would at least have lost nine lbs due to the baby, but water retention was bad after my c-section and I have not gained but have not lost since then. My weight is 290lbs right now the highest it has ever been in my life when not pregnant.

I have type II diabetes, hypertension and will be having a thyroid ultrasound next month because my thyroid is enlarged. With all of these health problems I am worried about being healthy and seeing my children grow up after trying so hard to have them.

I am determined to get off insulin and my blood pressure meds and losing weight. The best way to do it is to get moving . Luckily I have excellent cholesterol and trigylcerides, so I have been given the okay to choose any exercise I can handle.

My sister gave me her treadmill last week when she got an elliptical machine and I have been working up in 15 minute increments daily until I now do one hour a day on it.

My goal is to consistently keep doing at least an hour a day on the treadmill. To increase my water intake from the 5 or so glasses I drink now, to about twice that and to reduce my portion sizes. I cook healthy right now due to my diabetes, but I know I need to eat less of what I cook.

I do not have a specific amount of pounds goal that I am setting for the 15 weeks, but I would love to be able to wear something comfortable and flattering by the holidays instead of the baggy shirts and one pair of pants that fit I am wearing now. If I had to set a lbs lost goal I would say I would like to shoot for 15 lbs which is a reasonable lb a week which would put me at 275 which is what I weighed before my first pregancy.

My husband is so behind me and he can tell that I am different this time. I broke down crying last night beating myself up for not doing this sooner. I love my family with all my heart and my girls deserve a happy and healthy mommy.

Sorry for the book length introduction. I am completely psyched about having a group of supportive people to do this with to know I am not alone.

Last edited by DianaG; 09-11-2008 at 04:18 PM.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  

Ah Diana...Big Hugs to you...We seem to have ALOT in common..We are the same age and almost the same weight. I have struggled with Infertility for over 5 yrs. I have did six rounds of clomid (had an ectopic on the sixth cycle) Two cycles of Femera, and THREE IUI's..one of those with $4500.00 worth of injectible meds. All BFN's. I thought my main problem was that my cycles were so out of whack...they ranged from 46-56 days long. RE said I was not ovulating. I did have an HSG where the dye quickly went through my tubes but ponded on the left side below my tube..whereas I did go on to have a tubal on the left side also. After that..I went on to drop 15 pounds and my cyles became every 25-33 days. So I have given it one full year..thinking it might happen on it's own..since this is the first time my cycles were so perfect without meds. But it has not. So last apt. with RE I ask for him to do a LAP on me..to see if maybe I have adhesions on that left..For some reason..every time I have a follicle check..they are always of the LEFT side?? So I was thinking maybe he could cut them away and maybe that would help me have success?? But RE does not agree. He insists that it would not help?? So I am going for a second and a THIRD opinion tomorrow and Monday, back to back. Tomorrow is with a ob-gyn that is VERY popular in our area..Mondays in with a different RE.

Do you mind sharing what finally worked for you..if this is to private ...I understand....you could even PM if that is better? I am just so desperate?? I know the more weight I get off...the better my chances are.

I am also IR. I take 2000 mg. of Gluc. My sugar level is always good when I check it. And actually my prim dr. had me only on 500 mg. but RE wanted me on 2000 to maybe help me get pregnant. AND....I just got a call last week that my TSH was at 4.13. My RE called me in Synthroid...75 mg..Which I think is to much??? I was wondering IF I may help my hypo thyroid with exercise and vitamins with IRON???? I know I am cold at night alot, and it is VERY hard for me to lose...even when I am consistantly hungry ( I am so good about not eating when I am not hungry) but I am awful with exercise..hense this thread!!! Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

ok...Girls let GOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'8

Yay! I have been looking for a challenge to join and this one is perfect for me! I plan to start slow with a Crunch exercise video (Crunch Cardio Dance Blast).

Week 1 Goal: Thursday 9/11 - Wednesday 9/17: Push to get the whole video done without stopping
clewles81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm in! Here's my plan:
Thursday: 45 minutes elliptical & 100 crunches & free weights
Friday: Burn & Firm Pilates & 100 crunches & free weights
Saturday: Burn & Firm Pilates & 45 minutes elliptical & 100 crunches
Sunday: Burn & Firm Pilates & 45 minutes elliptical & 100 crunches
Monday: 100 crunches & free weights
Tuesday: Burn & Firm Pilates & 45 minutes elliptical
Wednesday: Burn & Firm Pilates & 100 crunches & free weights
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I have had so many problems with my knees again I just haven't been exercising like I use to. I am ready to get back on track and do what I know I should be doing. Here is my routine.

Monday - Wednesday - Friday
Walking Aerobic ( Leslie Sansone Videos ) 1 to 10 miles

Tuesday - Thursday

Walking Aerobic ( Leslie Sansone Videos ) 1 to 6 Miles
Resistance Training - Toning ( Leslie Sansone Videos ) at least 40 min

I am going to be going to curves starting Monday on Monday - Wednesday - Friday. If I decide I like this and join I will only do 1 to 6 miles Walking Aerobic ( Leslie Sansone Videos ) on these days

This is what I was doing before the knees started giving me problems except for the curves.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-11-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #10  

Woo-Hoo! Day #1 down for me!!! I even did some stretches before & after.

WOW!!!! Soooo glad we have lots of joiners!!!! This should be fun!!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #11  

Hi ladies! I am so proud of myself. I not only did my exercise early in the day, but I managed to eat small portions all day as well. However, I think I have gone through 6 pieces of sugar free gum. We had whiting for dinner. I baked it with lemon, garlic, dill and a peppery seafood seasoning mix. It was so good and then we had steamed broccoli and steamed zucchini on the side.

Shy Moment- I am sorry your knees are giving you so much trouble. Mine hurt sometimes too. I have to be careful when exercising to warm up good beforehand with stretching.

Raw- I have never done Pilates. Do you find it a fun type of exercise? Is it similar to yoga?

Clewles81- Your Crunch Cardio Dance Blast sounds fun. I think I need to drop a few pounds before I do too much dancing. The last time I had a "dance party" with the girls my knees hurt so bad the next day.

From220 to 112- 30lbs sounds reasonable by Christmas. I admire your 90 minutes at the gym. I have trouble finding the 60 minutes to do my treadmill without having to leave the house to go to a gym.

Quiet Ballerina- The elliptical machine is a good overall body workout.

Skinny4baby- I do not find the question too personal at all. By the end of all our rounds of doctors and all my modesty went out the window. I was told I did not ovulate. I joined a great fertility support site call Taking Charge of Your fertility where I could chart my bbt, so I took my basal body temperature every morning to see if I was ovulating on my own and they were right I was not. I did not respond to injectibles, but they did find I responded to clomid at a high dose. My first pregancies were all clomid cycles because we did not have male factor infertility. I used an ovulation monitor and my bbt chart to see when peak days were and it worked. Unfortunately, our first pregnancy ended in a blighted ovum and I had to have a D&C. We got pregnant 3 months later and I was told to stop taking my metformin and started misscarrying the next day.

After my second loss we had all of the misscarriage testing done on me and even did gene testing on both me and my husband to see if we genetically did not mix well.

A year of clomid later we got pregnant. Again we were taken off my meds and again we misscarried. They suspected a molar pregnancy with that one because it took 16 weeks of blood tests before my hcg went from 574 to 0. This cycle of clomid, stopping my meds and misscarrying happened twice more and I was exhausted emotionally. I was fed up with my doctors and our insurance changed, so I told my husband I did not want to try for awhile. We instead started construction on our first house. We were so concentrated on building a house that I was able to heal a bit emotionally. In October of 2004 we moved in and began to get settled. We both started thinking it would never happen for us. I still had not found a new Ob/gyn, so we could not get a prescription for clomid.

It was a really tough summer for me because in July my sister told me she was pregnant with her fourth and my other sister has 3. After they went home I just sat down and balled. Then we were hit by two hurricanes in a row and all other thoughts were on hold for awhile. It was miserably hot, we were without electricity for two weeks and I just felt depressed as can be. I had not gotten my period in months and with my sister pregnant I wanted to try again. After it looked like no more hurricanes were going to come our way I decided to call my endocrinologist for a provera prescription to see if my period would start so we could try again. I explained that I did not have a general practitioner or a ob/gyn so they called in the prescription.

After having been to the fertility clinics it was ingrained in my mind never to take provera without peeing on a stick first, so I bought a digital test at the grocery store and even though it was about 4pm did the test. Then I went about my business and forgot about it. When I went back in it said "pregnant." I shook it like a magic eight ball thinking the not was stuck, but it still said "pregnant." We got an emergency referal to an ob/gyn that specialized in high risk, since I am diabetic the next day. We had been so disappointed with all our losses that I was prepared for the bloodwork to come back low. We figured with no electricity during the hurricanes that I was only a few weeks along, so my dh did not come to the doctors with me. To my surprise after the internal the doctor wanted to do an ultrasound right then and there. They did one and I almost fell off the table I cried so hard when the tech said "and there is your baby" and I said "there's a heartbeat?" and she said "yes, 171bpm." She did not know my history. The doctor and I were amazed. They gave me pictures and I was shaking so hard I could barely drive to my husbands work. Turns out not only was there a heartbeat, but I was already 4 and a half months pregnant. The day I cried my heart out that my sister was pregnant again I was pregnant.

The universe is crazy because before I went to my husband's work my sister came into the same office I was leaving to have her gender u/s and was shocked to know that if the baby had cooperated I would have had a gender u/s as well, lol.

So now that I have written a textbook on my life, I will answer your question. I was on 2,000 mg of metformin and I did not stop taking it because I did not know I was pregnant. To this day I am convinced that my Olivia is here because I was not told to stop all meds when I got my positive.

My new Ob did tests on me after her birth and said that from my history of only 3 to 4 cycles a year I probably only ovulate once a year. We did not use birth control because we did not think we needed it and again on only metformin I conceived in December and tested positive on New Year's Eve. I never thought after all those years of infertility that I would be blessed not once, but twice. My advice is to not lose heart. I had many days when I was sad, bitter, angry and unhappy, but I never lost heart that it would happen one day even if not biologically. Having gone through infertility I know that you can feel like no one understands the emotions you are going through, so if you ever need to rant, cry or whatever feel free to PM me. I could never talk to my sisters because neither one ever had any problems conceiving.

I will tell you that I was 279 when I first got pregnant, so it is possible at our weight. I was able to keep my blood sugars under tight control and my babies were not overly big. My first was 7lbs 14 oz and my second was 8lbs 13oz (however, my first was born at 37 weeks and my second at 38).
Diana
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #12  
Rennie

Dia
Congrats on a great day. Warming up don't help when the knees are having a bad time. All I can do is wait it out, take the meds, gain the weight and when they get better I can exercise again and lose weight again. They hurt all the time but not like they have the last few months. They are doing pretty good now. Got 6 miles of my videos done and tons of yard work including bending stretching and lunging to pick up apples under two trees lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-11-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I'd like to join in this as well...maybe it will help me not be lazy and actually get off my bum lol...i exercise but its intermittantly cause im not accountable to anyone.. so this should work for me lol cross fingers

monday, tues, wed -exercycle 60 mins, free weights 15 mins
thurs, fri - a lot of walking collecting money from my father in laws customers lol... exercycle 30 mins
sat- 60 exercycle

i will also add an hour walk to each day that it isnt raining... course this is england so lol
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #14  

Shy,
I am sorry nothing helps the pain. Yard work sounds good. You make it sound so beautiful with the apple trees. I live in Florida and grew up in New England, so I miss all the Northern trees and the changing seasons especially this time of year.

Jimaterry,
Sounds like you have a good plan in place to keep you going. What kind of exercises do you do with the free weights? I need to do something for my arms to tone them up.

Have a great day everyone.
Diana
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #15  
Rennie

jim
It really does help to have someone else with us to exercise. I wish I had people here at the house to make me work harder. Some days I go through the motions but really don't put much into it. You are more than welcome to beat up your body with us lol.

Di
I have lived in just about every state for a short period of time when I worked at a trucking company. I have never really ever thought of living anywhere else but home. I even bought a house just 10 min from where I grew up lol. You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. It was horrible last night. Another person hit a deer in front of my house. Took them forever to get the people out of the front seat as the deer was in the front seat with them. Am very glad hunting season is just about upon us. They are everywhere. People can't even let their kids play out in the fields and I can't let my wonderful little Bella out in my fenced in back yard without someone. The deer jump the fence and want the apples on the ground under the apple trees. I have to go out every morning and pick the apples up and toss them behind the fence to try to keep the deer out. When people think of deer they think of sweet little bambi. I don't think they have ever had a 200 pound buck ( who isn't happy they are anywhere around him ) standing in their back yard while their little 12 pound dog is wanting to come in the house and scared to death to get anywhere near that animal.