Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #16  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Me too. (I still haven't done anything yet!)

The stupidest part is that if I recompose my body at my current weight, I think I could be VERY HAPPY with my looks and not feel like I have to lose 5 lbs all the time.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #17  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Steve: Thank you for your great input and willingness to help. I try to work infront of a mirror and pay good attention to my form. The book I have has pretty detailed descriptions and a few pictures. When I am unsure I google the video's/pics. So far so good I think.

Turbo: Ah, come join me!!!! We can be strength-newbies together. Hahah. Now that you are so close to goal weight-wise you must have some shape-wise things you want to work on?

ValRock: thank you! I've seen your pics and you look amazing. I agree with you on the free-weights. I want to really learn how to control my body and because I have weak joints I think it be best to make sure I get all the muscles involved, also the small/stabalizing ones as soon as possible. That's why I am doing dumbbells.

sumire: you are such an inspiration! I've read your reports on how much you are lifting before. I didn't know you staerted 'only' 2 years ago! And that you were 'weak' also. That gives great perspective. I've learned to not expect results in a day from my running. I never thought I'd run 10k. But now I can!

Krampus: Why don't you come join me and Turbo then? Hahah. We'll get all the feathers lifting some lbs!

---
In the back of my dumbbell book are a gazillion full body work-outs and I just picked one. I did this one yesterday, see below. I took it slow because I've quit on stuff before from pushing myself too hard in the beginning. The wallsit was REALLY an eyeopener. I thought that my legs had grown stronger from running but not so much I fear. I could only barely do 45seconds.

Because I worry I am developing shin splints I am taking a running break for a week and also decided to not do the standing calf raise. What do you guys think? Would it be good to do the calf raise to strengthen those muscles or should I first let them heal and then focus on strengthening them?

Thanks for all the enthousiastic replies. It is really helping me on trusting I can do this and sticking to it!

Last edited by philana; 03-29-2012 at 12:22 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #18  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post

Turbo: Ah, come join me!!!! We can be strength-newbies together. Hahah. Now that you are so close to goal weight-wise you must have some shape-wise things you want to work on?
EXACTLY! I think I still want to loose a few pounds, but for most of it, I'm just really flabby LOL I could use some strenght training, definitely!

We have some stuff home (yoga mat, resistance cable, pull up bar (can't do one lol) but no dumbell.

I have a question though, so maybe all the awesome people who respond to the thread could help me!

My biggest fear is concerning being sore after muscles training. Right now I'm training for my first at the end of June, so I'm running 3 times a week. I'd like to pick up weight training but I just don't know when to do it. I'm scare to be sore if I do it the day before my running training and make me unable to run my kilometers. What would you suggest? What would be the best? Strenght training after my run? On my running days off?

I'm confuseeeeeeeeeeeeed!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #19  
say what?

Turbo: though I am no expert, from what I've read the soreness will go away faster if you stay moving. I noticed today that even though I am sore, the first minute or so of my cardio (elliptical/stationary bike) were tough but soon I felt like any other day.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #20  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I never have a problem running through soreness, either. Even when my legs are really sore, once I stretch and get moving, it's not a factor .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #21  

Not a weight lifter, but I did join the gym 2 days ago!
I did some 20 min cardio, increased it to 23 min the next day. I know that I can do cardio for longer, but I did it just to get my blood pumping. I warmed up using the Jillian Michaels youtube video lol.
I just bought a yoga mat and boxing gloves. I will do yoga on Sundays and I want to try boxing on Wednesday. I am nervous because I see the fit men in the gym and I am insanely (serious) nervous around men. I'll prob be the least experienced one in the class. But we all have to start somewhere.
Don't want to do too much, so I think that my Sunday/Wedn plan is good for now.
When I am up for it, I want to do some strength training exercises at least 1 day a week. I am sore now though, so I will give myself a little break-I tend to overdo everything a bit to the point where I am overwhelmed so I want to do something moderate and build up.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #22  
threenorns

shin splints: wait until they heal! i know it sucks, but those are actual tears where the muscle has pulled away from the bone. let them heal before you stress the muscle again.

after that, yes - you need to

a) develop strength in your lower legs, esp the calf, achilles tendon, and ankles.
b) check your shoes - if the inner edge is worn more than the outer, bin them and get a new pair.

100% what steve T said, with this to add:

it's easy to talk about "form" but it's difficult to figure it out.

here's the easy way: do NOT focus on "get the weight up". instead, focus on the movement you need to make.

f.ex, think of the bicep barbell curl. we've all seen those guys at the gym with the tractor rims on the ends of the barbells slinging and flinging the weight up and down and smirking at everybody. he doesn't realize he looks like an idiot as his upper body whips back and forth like a tent pole in a high wind even as he bruises up his thighs by dropping the weight down to slam on them.

instead, start with just the bar - use the mini bar (the 25lb-er) if you need to and if that's too much, dont' even use the olympic bars, just use the handle.

stand with your body straight - tummy firm, pelvis tucked slightly under, knees soft, feet shoulder width apart, shoulders open and back (not hunched up around your ears or curved forward).

keep your elbows and upper arms firm to your sides as you hold the bar lightly in front of you.

with your head in a neutral position (not pulled back or bent forward and NEVER EVER to one side or the other while your traps are under load!), think about bending your elbows.

that's it.

that's all you're doing - bending the elbows. if it helps, pretend i have bob ross's voice here. you're not lifting the bar, you're just bending the elbows and the bar is coming along for the ride.

at the top, give your biceps a squeeze for a count of three then, slowly, straighten your elbows again. don't straighten them all the way - locking joints is something we never do - just straighten them out until they're in the starting position.

it's like that for all exercises.

bench press = straighten your arms.

leg press - straighten your legs.

dead lift = stand up

and so on.

if you focus on "get the weight up", your body will automatically use every method at its disposal to achieve that goal - and that means cheating like the devil. if you focus on function, that's all that will happen.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-29-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 169/153.6/149

haha funny, i was asking my friend for advice about lifting free weights because i've been reading on here about how much better they are than the machines and i have NO idea how to get started or what to do. He's pretty into fitness and stuff and when i asked him for advice about how to start he got SUPER excited and was like "oh man! i have so much stuff i can send you. or better yet, what's your friday schedule like" and i told him i was basically free. he goes "great! we'll meet friday around one and i have a 45 min routine i'll put you through. i know exactly what you want. im so excited for this!" So, wish me luck, i start today! If he wants to get me into shape for FREE, i'm all with it (but i'm actually kind of scared because he is a super intense person and really into fitness. i can already see myself dying lol)
veggieburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #24  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I sort of have a progress update here. I've been lifting more now (3x a week as opposed to one), doing less cardio and eating more for over a month. This is what I've noticed:

- BIG gains in strength. At the beginning I could lift a lot less than I do now
- Flatter tummy
- Lost an inch off my hips, waist, bust and ribcage.
- Not so sure about my weight. My parents bought a new scale and threw out the old one so I can't compare, but the new one weighs me in at 116 point something. The one at the gym still weighs me in the same. So I have maintained my weight more or less while losing inches. Not really caring about the number, but I really wanted to make sure I wasn't losing!

I wouldn't mind getting back up to 120 if I look totally awesome

veggieburger - that's awesome! Your friend sounds like a great guy! Good luck! Always nice to get trained for free!

I know that feeling when a friend wants to get into fitness. Whenever one of my friends talks about getting fit, I'm like "I'LL TRAIN YOU" because having a buddy is fun!

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #25  
Staying the Same

Played around with a resistance cable last night at a friend's house, GOSH I'm weak. Dangled pathetically on the pullup bar for a while. And my arms are sore. I end up at this friend's house several times a week normally.

I could do that a few times a week in addition to cardio and incorporating actual variety in weights, and that would be a start!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #26  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Despite losing the lottery the first (and probably only) time I ever played it I am on cloud nine right now

Today I got to the gym early as I always do on Saturdays so I can lift weights in peace. I loaded up the bar with 100lbs since I had deadlifted 100lbs last week. I figured I would try to do more reps since I could only do a few last week.

What the **** though, right? I decided to go for it and put 115lbs. Did I mention that today I weighed in at 115lbs on my new scale?

I looked at that bar and I said "holy crap, that thing weighs as much as me...can I do this?"

I DID IT!! I did three reps and did two more sets of three reps after that. It was HARD but I did it!!

So happy right now. Although I am betting I will pay for this tomorrow, LOL.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-31-2012 at 11:45 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #27  
say what?

Sontaikle: OMG that is so awesome. Hope you didn't pay too dearly?

threenorns: thanks, I did give my legs a rest but did the calf raise today and it did not hurt. I don't have shin splints just yet but I was worried for a bit. After a week of running-break they seem back to normal.

--
Did my second WL day today, it went much much better than the first day already. Mostly because I was more sure about the way to do the form on most.

I have a few questions though! Haha.
1. How is it possible that I can do the lunges and deadlift with 10lbs easy but I cant do the wallsit (without any weight)? I mean, the weight then is my entire body so that is obviously a bit more, but I can't even do it for 20 seconds without my legs burning.
2. I have the most difficulty doing the "Bent over Raise" the way it is in my book. I can barely make it through 1 proper form rep. During the positive work I manage barely, holding it in mid air is ****, my negative work goes smoothly, I don't 'drop' the weight) I used only the heavy dumbell halter (abt 2lbs?) without any weights on it and it was already giving me trouble. See the form I used here:

There's also the 'external rotation' that I find very hard to do with just the halter.

Any tips are welcome, otherwise I'll just keep trying and trying and eventually I'll be able to do them for more reps and with actual weight on them I'm sure.

Last edited by philana; 04-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #28  
threenorns

that "bent over raise" is actually a back flye.

here's a video showing how to do it: http://www.ehow.com/video_4953477_pi...cise-bent.html

the big thing is to NOT bend your elbows or flail the arm back and forth (which you already know).

these exercises work your delts and rotator cuff muscles. very common for these muscles to be critically weak in women - take it easy and give them time.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #29  
Staying the Same

OK feathers, I've been reading stumptuous and lifting websites all morning. Tonight I'm hitting the YMCA gym with my neighbor and I will have access to free weights and dumbbells. I'm scared because I don't really know what I'm doing, but I have to start somewhere.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #30  
Staying the Same

Report: That went well. I am sore and starving, ravenously hungry.