Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #61  
Senior Member
 
pixelllate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I am curvy, always, but I am also really thick waisted, even when i'm at my normal weight. And the other day I tried jogging yet again. I got 2 minutes and 21 seconds at 4.3mph. Lol.
Hey thats awesome, sometimes I get super psyched out about jogging for some reason-its the starting thats the hardest!
I have always had a belly-It starts out small, but my lower belly is huge in proportion to the rest of me haha.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #62  
say what?
Thread Starter
 
philana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,069

Height: 5'6"

Default

after just postphoning and missing my 3rd strength-workout from last week I finally did my first one from this week (UHG). I do think I will stick to it more now. I upped the weight some so the most reps I can do are 12 per set, though for most sets I do about 8. It's much harder and I am really pushing myself on some so it's more fun. I hope I won't have too horrible a muscle ache tomorrow! Haha.

My low weight dumbells are 6lbs and my higher weight ones are 15lbs. With the small and big disks I have to add on I can't make a good inbetween pair, so it will have to do.

Off to swimming for an hour and work! Hope I haven't tired myself too much, so annoying about my half-night shifts!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #63  
threenorns
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca10 View Post
Also those of you who have been lifting and lifting heavy, when you say heavy can you be more specific? For instance how much are you lifting for a tricep? I want to know if I can consider what I'm lifting to be heavy so I can possibly increase calories or work up to lifting a little heavier.

Thanks everyone and good luck to beginners and to those who are still lifting!

hi - sorry, i missed your question earlier.

i'm not in the gym now (bec there's only two and the closer one is a 40min drive up just past haliburton, on, while the other's in kirkfield, on) but right now, i do pretty much everything with 10lb dumbbells.

when i did work out, this was a typical workout for, fex, bench press:

1st warmup set: bar only (45lbs) - smooth, rhythmic movements until i feel the muscles flush and warmup (usually about 18 - 20rep)

2nd warmup set: bar only - brisk, forceful movements - tossing the bar up and catching it - 13 - 15 reps.

3rd warmup set: 65lbs - 15 reps

4th warmup set: 85lbs - 12 reps

5th warmup set: 105lbs - 10 reps

1st working set: 115lbs - 5 reps

2nd working set: 135lbs - 3 reps

3rd working set: 155lbs - 2 - 3 reps


if it was for working up to an evaluation or if i could get an actual decent spotter, i could go higher for 1 - 2 reps on a working set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #64  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 63

S/C/G: 170/166/130

Height: 5'3"

Default

I have been lifting since the beginning of the year and recently had my program redone by my PT so now am starting to lift much heavier and more free weights rather than machines. I am loving it!

I'm another one who is also not a runner - but I am by no means an hourglass, more of an apple shape with a thick waist and belly like pixelllate said. I try to go to the gym about 2-3x week which is a 15 minute cardio warm up and then just under an hour doing weights and some ab work.

However, I'm looking for some advice - despite my weight lifting and losing 13lb, when I took progress photos my body looks exactly the same. I thought lifting was supposed to help your body look better? Has anyone else had this problem?
jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #65  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybee View Post
However, I'm looking for some advice - despite my weight lifting and losing 13lb, when I took progress photos my body looks exactly the same. I thought lifting was supposed to help your body look better? Has anyone else had this problem?
Are your measurements going down? Sometimes I think that progress photos can be difficult, if your measurements are going down equally all over (so that you're basically the same body shape, just slightly smaller).

However, I will say this: from March 2011 to August 2011, I took monthly progress photos of myself. Every month I was discouraged when I looked at the pics and didn't see any difference. My measurements had gotten smaller, clothes had gotten looser, but I didn't see it. My husband would point here and there, all over the photos, and say, don't you see a difference here, and here, and here? And I totally didn't.

I stopped taking photos until Feb 2012. Then when I compared that one to the one from a year earlier, the differences were extremely obvious to me. And then I went back to all those other progress photos, and I suddenly saw all the differences there, too. It really is voodoo magic, the way that our brains create these images that they just cling to-- to the point where even photographic evidence didn't work on me.

Edit to add: I should note that my scale weight in Aug '11 and Feb '12 was the same, and my measurements were only very slightly smaller in Feb. So theoretically, I should have been able to see the difference in the August pics, too. But I didn't!

Last edited by sumire; 04-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #66  
Leveling Up
 
sontaikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,655

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default

Ouch. Medium weight training tonight and I pushed myself hard. I went to pick up my bag where I put my set of 15lb weights (so 30lbs total) and I could not lift it high enough to put over my shoulder. Haha I guess I did it right. I did add a lot more to the bar this time around so it may have been more of a heavy weight training day after all

It didn't help that I took a spin/step/weight class this morning too! I'm off this week so I wanted to go in the morning too. Tomorrow is my rest day so I'll just go for a walk or something

I think all of those squats are paying off. Today I noticed I no longer have a flat butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybee View Post
I have been lifting since the beginning of the year and recently had my program redone by my PT so now am starting to lift much heavier and more free weights rather than machines. I am loving it!

I'm another one who is also not a runner - but I am by no means an hourglass, more of an apple shape with a thick waist and belly like pixelllate said. I try to go to the gym about 2-3x week which is a 15 minute cardio warm up and then just under an hour doing weights and some ab work.

However, I'm looking for some advice - despite my weight lifting and losing 13lb, when I took progress photos my body looks exactly the same. I thought lifting was supposed to help your body look better? Has anyone else had this problem?
How are your measurements?

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 63

S/C/G: 170/166/130

Height: 5'3"

Default

My clothes do all feel a lot looser - I went through my wardrobe and a lot of it doesn't fit me anymore, but I have only lost less than an inch off my waist and hips, and a little over an inch off my underbust (none of my bras fit anymore!)

I didn't measure my thighs or arms when I started, unfortunately, but they're the only places I can see noticeable difference from weight training, however minimal it is.

It's just discouraging when I've been working so hard to look exactly the same after two months! I am going to take more progress photos when I reach my current GW of 130lbs, but I think at this rate I will want to go lower than that.
jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #68  
I can do anything!
 
ValRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,509

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybee View Post
My clothes do all feel a lot looser - I went through my wardrobe and a lot of it doesn't fit me anymore, but I have only lost less than an inch off my waist and hips, and a little over an inch off my underbust (none of my bras fit anymore!)

I didn't measure my thighs or arms when I started, unfortunately, but they're the only places I can see noticeable difference from weight training, however minimal it is.

It's just discouraging when I've been working so hard to look exactly the same after two months! I am going to take more progress photos when I reach my current GW of 130lbs, but I think at this rate I will want to go lower than that.
Sorry if you already shared... but how heavy are you lifting? Do you lift to failure?

You'll see results soon!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #69  
Leveling Up
 
sontaikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,655

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybee View Post
My clothes do all feel a lot looser - I went through my wardrobe and a lot of it doesn't fit me anymore, but I have only lost less than an inch off my waist and hips, and a little over an inch off my underbust (none of my bras fit anymore!)

I didn't measure my thighs or arms when I started, unfortunately, but they're the only places I can see noticeable difference from weight training, however minimal it is.

It's just discouraging when I've been working so hard to look exactly the same after two months! I am going to take more progress photos when I reach my current GW of 130lbs, but I think at this rate I will want to go lower than that.
Well then you're losing fat, just not where you want to right away. It sucks but it never comes off where you want it too. Apples also generally lose their middles last

If your bras don't fit then get some properly fitting bras! That could actually be the reason why you aren't seeing much of a difference. A properly fitting bra will do wonders for how you look in clothes.

Honestly don't fret. When you're short like us 10lbs can make a huge difference. You could be a different shape when you get closer to your GW, but you won't know until you get there.

You've also only been lifting a couple of months. Weight training for women really takes quite a bit more time to show up. We're just not made to respond to it like men do.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #70  
Staying the Same
 
krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Troy, NY
Posts: 6,448

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default

HUNGNGGHHH I am really sore from yesterday's lifting session. Joined the seedy local gym w/my bf and he helped me out some.

After a 2 mile outdoor jog at less than 10 min miles + 1/2 mile at 7 mph on a treadmill, I did 3 x 10 of the following, circuit style:

-Bent-over dumbbell rows on a bench, 20 lbs
-Barbell curls (lightest one, I think it was bar + 10 lbs)
-Lat pulldowns, 40 lbs
-Pushup machine (shoulder press?), 40 lbs (last time I failed at 5 reps so moved it to 30 lbs - god that's sad)
-Planks, 60 sec

By the end of the final circuit I was working to almost-failure and grunting and making faces. Ended it with a 1/2 mile treadmill trot at 6.5 mph.

I'm thinking about doing legs-only today + cardio. My top half is too sore to function and it feels like I have whiplash again.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #71  
Member
 
mca10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 58

S/C/G: 242/128/119

Height: 5'3"

Default

Krampus-
That's impressive for your first/second week! I think you will start getting used to it sooner than you think.

ValRock-
Thank you for posting your stats. YOU ARE INCREDIBLE. I don't even know where to start. I do chalene extreme at the moment and I just bought new rules. Is that the program you did?

sontaikle-
I hope to be where you're at soon. We have similar stats except I am about 10-12lbs more than you and recently I've started to have a hard time. I'm hungrier but I'm scared to increase my calories because I still would like to lose 8 more.

Questions for those who are currently lifting a few times a week and who are still trying to lose. How many calories are you guys currently eating? I'm currently 128-132(on a bad week after being off diet ugh) and I eat 1200 calories. I run everyday (3 miles but run total of 30 min mon-thur) 1 fast mile (fri-sat 8 min but run for 10min total) then I bike at a resistance of 25 on the bike for 20 min (3-4miles). I also lift heavy (for me anyways 3 times a week. I also do Turbo Fire Advanced every day sometimes it's only 6 days a week. I also run HITT for the last 5 min of every run.

I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating if I'm still trying to lose and working out more these days. I'm having a really hard time and the ups and downs are starting to wear me down.

Thanks guys I love this thread!
mca10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #72  
This time, it's forever..
 
melodymist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Default

Hi my fellow feathers!

I started weight training yesterday. Having lost 50+ pounds I have to find a new way to trick my body into losing just a bit more.

I started the "Kettleworx" workout DVD's. With a 7 pounds kettlebell? That a bit too light?
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #73  
Senior Member
 
LovelyAndLosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 164

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Default

Hi Girls!

This morning at the gym, I did 3x8 leg presses with three 45lb weights on either side and I did 3x10 squats at 155lbs (still trying to figure out squats, I thought 8 would make me tired, next time I'll go higher).

Anyways, this boy was watching me and his eyes about bugged out of his head. He told me I was "really impressive." Too bad it wasn't my gym crush!

I did feel pretty B-A doing the leg press!

In other news, last Friday this guy (who definitely works out alot, making it more infuriating) told me "You're a girl. You should ONLY ever do cardio." I wanted to punch him! Haha.

Last edited by LovelyAndLosing; 04-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #74  
Staying the Same
 
krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Troy, NY
Posts: 6,448

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default

Please drop 155 lbs on his toes. What a d!ckhead!

I did jack beanstalk yesterday and ate a HUGE Polish dinner. I am going to do arms/shoulders/back again today because I am planning to hike tomorrow and don't want to be too sore to do it. Will go for the same stuff I did Wed with some more exercises thrown in there - maybe deadlifts.

How much should I start out deadlifting? The weights I posted in the previous post were about maxing me out. Don't want to strain my lower back or suffer some kind of horrid prolapse.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #75  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer
 
sumire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 366

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
How much should I start out deadlifting? The weights I posted in the previous post were about maxing me out. Don't want to strain my lower back or suffer some kind of horrid prolapse.
It's difficult for anyone else to prescribe a weight for you, of course, but I'd say start conservatively, but not so conservatively that you don't feel any of your muscles working-- not so much because lifting should be hard work, but because I think you need to be able to feel your legs working to make sure you're not pulling from your back. (I assume you've read up on form & know that in the deadlift, you should be feeling it in your legs, hamstrings & glutes in particular; don't round your lower back, make sure you're not feeling it in your lower back, keep your abs engaged, etc...)

Also, when you're starting out, it's ideal if you can elevate the bar to the height it would be at if you had 45 pound plates on either end of the bar. If your gym has steps/risers, or if you can balance it on top of some weight plates, that might work; or if there's a squat cage, you could pull the bar off the safety pins. I confess I only bothered to do this a couple of times, but it does make it easier to keep your lower back from rounding if you do this.

I deadlifted for the first time at the beginning of January, though I'd been doing weight training for more than a year before that. I started pretty conservatively at 65 pounds (I think this was 3 sets of 12 reps). My deadlift is one of my strongest lifts now; this morning I did 135 pounds (3 sets of 6 reps). Yay!
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.