Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default A weird moment

Any other featherweights have a weird moment when you run into someone who hasn't seen you in awhile and they make such a bid deal out of you losing weight?

I went into a restaurant that I haven't been to in quite some time with my family a few weekends ago and one of the waitresses shrieked (yes, shrieked) when she saw me. Honest to God, hand over mouth and finger pointing when I walked in.

She came running up to me and said, "Oh my God! You lost so much weight, your face, your stomach, your legs. You look amazing. I never realized how much bigger you were before." WHAT???

My hubby looked at me as if to say, 'how big were you?' I started this journey at a size 8. That's not really big, is it?

Then she proceeded to pepper me with questions throughout my entire meal about what I was eating on a daily basis, exercise questions, you name it. She kept telling the other patrons that I had lost a ton of weight (a ton? 18 lbs. is hardly a ton, lol). It got to be borderline embarrassing after awhile. But I was gracious and smiled while thanking her for the compliments.

I'd love to hear other featherweights if you came in contact with someone who was a bit um, overzealous about your weight loss.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

Sounds like a weird experience.

For the record if you were "big" before at 5'6" and a size 8, then I'm "gigantic" at 5'2" and a size 8! "Big?" Hardly! I'm sure that there will always be a mixed bag of people--those who judge a little too harshly on weight and freak out like this waitress, and those who don't really even notice ("Something's different about you...did you get a haircut?")
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

People are funny!! Size 8 big! Geez

I had one lady once ask me if I had been sick... When I said no, she said, really??
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I have been dating lately which means I've been out and about a lot more than usual. I do not tell any of these guys that I used to be a size 16/18. I'm reinventing myself and my past body/body image is buried. I am very careful about meeting these people where I may run into someone I know. I have even gone over in my head what I would say and do if what happened to you happens to me. My hope is to make THEM seem crazy and act like I don't know what they are talking about!

And like Mimi said -- I must be gigantic too! I'm 5'1 and in a comfortable size 8. My goal is a 6. LOL

In any event, congrats on your fantastic 20 pound weight loss!! I'm sure you looked fantastic then and even more fantastic now!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

What works for me is to say, with an absolutely straight face,
"Seems to have happened since I joined a gym; my doctor isn't worried about it though."
It's hard to find a handle in there to respond to.

And Yes, I join in congratulating you on your loss. May you never see those pounds again.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
I have been dating lately which means I've been out and about a lot more than usual. I do not tell any of these guys that I used to be a size 16/18. I'm reinventing myself and my past body/body image is buried. I am very careful about meeting these people where I may run into someone I know. I have even gone over in my head what I would say and do if what happened to you happens to me. My hope is to make THEM seem crazy and act like I don't know what they are talking about!

And like Mimi said -- I must be gigantic too! I'm 5'1 and in a comfortable size 8. My goal is a 6. LOL

In any event, congrats on your fantastic 20 pound weight loss!! I'm sure you looked fantastic then and even more fantastic now!
Congrats on the loss of dress sizes - 16/18 to an 8 is a huge accomplishment. So, kudos to you as well. And judging from your avatar you look just right IMO. And good for you on dating and reinventing yourself - that takes courage to do that.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
What works for me is to say, with an absolutely straight face,
"Seems to have happened since I joined a gym; my doctor isn't worried about it though."
It's hard to find a handle in there to respond to.

And Yes, I join in congratulating you on your loss. May you never see those pounds again.
I'll have to file that away for next time, lol. I usually have a set response ready but she caught me off guard and totally bombarded with millions of questions. To be honest, it was a little overwhelming. But she really is a sweet lady even if she went overboard. Obviously, she meant well but she could've dialed it down just a bit.

Congrats on your maintenance too.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-12-2011 at 10:24 AM.