General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm shorter than I look? or am I just weird?!

Sometimes I feel like I'm an oddball and I have a weird body. My friends, people I've known for years, are always shocked when I tell them I'm only 5'2.5" tall. The general response is, "Nuh uh! You're closer to 5'5"-5'6"!" They don't believe me until I stand next to them and they can physically see that I'm REALLY that short.

They also don't think I look like I weigh as much as I do. I'm around 158 right now, but they say I don't look like it. This leaves me happy, but confused. I have no idea what I might look like at my goal weight, or if it will even be a good weight. I try to find pictures of people with my build, but none of the typical builds seem quite right. I think I'm a combination of pear and apple right now, but I'm not sure. So that leaves me unsure of what I might look like at my goal weights. I feel like I'd have better motivation if I understood my body's composition a little better.

I've included my latest weight pictures, taken at 157. I'm still at or within 1-2lbs of that, and wear a size 10-12 in bottoms and a medium to large in tops. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (18.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (9.2 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 06-12-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I'm the same way in some aspects. I mean I'm 5'10 and I got to almost 300 lbs when i started this journey.. and people would guess I weighed around 225 or 230 looking at me... they were WAY off... some people just present themselves and carry weight differently... it's not bad I think it's a good thing....
but people do give you a hard time with they hear me say "I need to lose like 150 pounds" they are like "WHat!?! You will drift away"
I mean yeah right... I just need to lose to much fat!
I would take it as a compliment
and when you reach your goal weight you will just look more toned and thin. Nothing bad!!

All of that said, you have a super cute figure! I can't imagine you need to change too much!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #3  

I'm 5'7 and weigh 247, but people, when I show pictures, always think I'm 180 :S
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #4  

I'm not unhappy about these things, it's just confusing. I have a difficult time doing everything from picking out clothes that flatter me to figuring out my body type/shape. Not to mention figuring out how much weight I should lose and what I might look like eventually. I'm sure that's a thought that everyone has though! LOL

I've just been discouraged lately. I feel like I'll never be comfortable or familiar with myself. I'm 29 years old and haven't been able to figure out my own figure! I don't carry myself like someone who is overweight and short, so what's going to happen when I lose 20-30 pounds? Am I going to look ok or am I going to continue to look thinner than I really am and look TOO thin? I tend to lose weight in my waist first, then my upper arms, hips and thighs last. According to my body frame size, I have a small frame, but everyone says I wear my weight well. If I have a small frame, wouldn't I have a harder time hiding those extra pounds?? I'm so confused! LOL

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 06-12-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #5  
banned

I'm the opposite. I'm around 4'9-10, and I think i look way bigger than 220. But I agree. You do look smaller than 158. Maybe most of it is muscle?

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 06-12-2011 at 02:42 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
I've just been discouraged lately. I feel like I'll never be comfortable or familiar with myself..... so what's going to happen when I lose 20-30 pounds?
That is an amazing observation and an exciting question. This really is a journey, isn't it? I've just started on my own. Healthy is hard work and transformation is inspiring. What is going to happen when you lose 20-30 pounds is the road you're on. I'm so happy for myself and I am for you too. My daughter just turned 30, dropped 47 pounds and bought a new couch. She says it's her year. I think it might be yours too. Good job.
petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Pint Size, I might have some common ground with you. My dad fondly called it being "dense-packed" and even my trainer has referred to my dimensions and composition as a "warrior's build". Ahem. Being the delicate flower of femininity just isn't in the cards. If you're also far stronger for your size than anyone would guess, maybe you too have been blessed this way. Most people insist I'm taller than I am, and they miss guessing my weight usually by 20-30 pounds.

I can also commiserate with having a VERY rough time finding clothes that fit and flatter.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #8  

Actually, I am a lot stronger than I look.

Maybe I should go get a body composition test or something done.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

So you're saying people think you're taller and skinnier than you are? What's the problem here??
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have the same thing, my proportions and body type allow me to look quite a bit more proportioned at weights that make other women look heavier. I have a wide frame, long legs, and a muscular, very curve build. All these things hide weight very well, despite my height (a hair over 5'3").
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

I hear ya! It is weird to realize that your image of yourself/ your appearance doesn't align with what other people see.

People always go "Oh, what do you weigh a hundred pounds?!" and then I have to take a deep breath and say "That's for me to know and you to wonder about!" .... as I have weighed far, far more than that.

People also go "Really?!?" when I tell them I am 4' 11''. That being said, I can do some serious heavy lifting at work, and I can run pretty far for someone with little legs. I also like to think my personality is big.

I kinda like it, come to think of it. Thanks for starting this thread!
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #12  

I only see it as a problem because I apparently don't quite realize what my body actually looks like, and how I carry weight. This has left me confused as to how much weight to lose. Not to mention all the, "There's no way you weigh THAT much!!" which does tend to make me feel bad because, yes, I do weigh that much.

On one hand, I will think I look really good in an outfit, then I see pictures and I'm pretty much mortified. Other people tell me I look good, but I know I could stand to lose more weight. I'm afraid I have an unrealistic image of what my body is and can be after weight loss, since I've never seen my body at a healthy BMI as an adult. I don't know what's fat and what's muscle, what's supposed to be there, and what's not supposed to be there, and what I should expect to look like.

Like, what is enough weight lost? Will I recognize when it's enough, or are other people going to start telling me I look too thin at a healthy weight, when I look just above "normal" sized now, 20lbs above my maximum healthy weight?? Since I already look taller and leaner than I technically should, will I look sick if I get to my ultimate goal weight of 120?

I think I'm just overwhelmed by my expectations/perceptions and those expectations/perceptions others have. I have struggled with body perception and acceptance for years, and it feels like those insecurities are rearing their ugly heads again. That, and I'm getting too focused on what the scale says instead of what I actually look like. UGH
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That is a tough spot and I think most of us find ourselves in it - numbers, appearance, health, what is enough and what is 'too much' in ANY of those categories is so personal and complex. I personally set my standards low - I'm no supermodel, I never will be, so my goal is to be below my lowest adult weight which still had a little pudge here and there, and anything below that is a bonus. If it looks good and isn't **** to maintain, it's good enough for me.

If I let my head get sucked into 'healthy bmi', size ___, super sexy blah blah, I know I am liable to end up somewhere that causes me more stress and angst than if I just lose until my body can't comfortably go lower or I start feeling weak instead of healthy and strong. External weight perceptions mess with my head, so I have t avoid them altogether by setting a goal based entirely on loose, attainable standards. Beyond that and I know I will get into trouble.

Your mileage may vary, but my best advice is to take it five pounds at a time until it's not perfect, but good enough that you can be content and comfortable in your own skin. Then ruthlessly block out any voices in your head or around you that try to undermine your contentedness with yourself and focus on the truth - that you are beautiful, healthy, and fine right where you are, and another five or ten pounds gone isn't going to make you happy if you aren't first happy with yourself, as is, and truly believe that you're enough.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #14  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
I have a difficult time doing everything from picking out clothes that flatter me to figuring out my body type/shape.
Well based on the pics that you posted, black definitely works on you.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #15  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I think you look how I looked at about 165, and I'm 5'5. So maybe you look a bit taller? It's hard to tell.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote