Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Question for all you featherweights--what is the best way to pit an avocado? I stabbed myself last night when the knife slipped on the slippery pit. It's just a tiny cut, but the bruising that came with it really hurts. Help!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #32  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Question for all you featherweights--what is the best way to pit an avocado?
I know the answer but I am not sure I can describe it. I will give it a try.

Cut the avocado in two. Half of it will have a pit. Take a very sharp knife and whack it on the pit hard (with the sharp side). The knife will get lodged in the pit and then you just pull the knife out and the pit comes with it.

Good luck and be careful out there!
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #33  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Dagmar--my SO and I also watch a lot of TV in the evenings and it's also a time when I want to eat. Here are my strategies for not overindulging while watching TV:
1. We eat dinner late, while watching TV. I'm still eating, but it's food that is good for me and in my calorie plan for the day.
2. I keep sugar-free hard candy on hand and suck on a few pieces every night. Because I suck on them, they take longer to eat than other snack foods.
3. Chewing gum.
4. Multi-tasking. I always have a pile of mail, catalogs, newspapers, magazines, etc. next to the sofa. I go through them while watching TV. If I am doing two things at once (e.g., watching TV and flipping through a magazine, my mind is occupied and I'm not interested in eating). Sometimes I pay bills while watching TV or do other work.
5. I plan for one TV snack every night. Usually it is a low cal pudding, some mini meringues, and a cup of tea.

My SO also brings all sorts of food into the house that I can't eat (he is thin as a rail) and I've had to learn how to ignore that food. I think of his food as his and not available to me to eat. It's like it doesn't exist for me.

alinnell, I slice the avocado in half the long way, then jab the tip of my knife into the pit and pop it out. Make sure the avocado is slightly soft. If it is hard, it's not ripe enough yet and it will be much harder to get the pit out. With a ripe avocado, the pit should just pop right out. If you leave an unripe avocado on the counter for a day or so, it will ripen/soften right up. Also, if I'm not going to eat the whole avocado at once, I leave the pit in it. That way, at least the part under the pit doesn't discolor.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #34  
Woman on a Mission

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

So, all, it sounds like everyone's hanging in. I've been off for a couple of days & it gets busy around here!

We spent Mother's Day weekend cleaning out the garage (UGH). We moved to this state/house about 13 months ago, but you'd never guess we'd ever moved in if you looked in the garage . Boxes & boxes...anyway, a couple of trips to goodwill, some new shelves, a huge garbage pickup & 3 days of elbow grease netted us a roomy space for our outdoor belongings & vehicles. Woohoo! I can't remember the last time I parked in the garage before now!

My boys & DH brought me a birdbath for Mothers Day~~sweet huh?

On the downside, so off plan from Sat night (attended a cookout) thru Sunday night. Not pretty. I made rice krispy treats & brownies to take to the cookout. I'm not sure anyone else got any. I sure know I got more than my fair share . Anyway, back on plan as of Monday. And I think I've got a trainer to stick with for a while. I hope .

We have guests coming in from New Orleans, LA for a long weekend & I'm looking forward to showing them a bit of East Tennessee, so I've got housework & laundry calling my name!

Y'all all hang in there & keep on keepin on...
mamajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

Dagmar -- I just had another thought for tricks for night time eating. I drink tea or just hot water with a slice of lemon. Recently I have started to eat about 5 walnut halves with my tea or hot water in the evening, it's not too many calories plus it's very healthy for you. My kids bring junk in the house and when they do I tell them to brink it to the fridge in the basement. Out of sight, out of mind, workds very well for me...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
alinnell, I slice the avocado in half the long way, then jab the tip of my knife into the pit and pop it out. Make sure the avocado is slightly soft. If it is hard, it's not ripe enough yet and it will be much harder to get the pit out. With a ripe avocado, the pit should just pop right out. If you leave an unripe avocado on the counter for a day or so, it will ripen/soften right up. Also, if I'm not going to eat the whole avocado at once, I leave the pit in it. That way, at least the part under the pit doesn't discolor.
Well, that is exactly how I do it. I was hoping there was some better way so as to avoid the pain!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

[QUOTE=KylieH;1695447]Hey, Mudpie,
I can commisserate with you about your DH. Mine struggles with his diet too, primarily quantity rather than quality. However, with diabetes and high blood pressure, I worry nonetheless. I try to model good behavior as much as possible, but other than not ordering pizza or picking up burgers or high salt foods, I don't know what I can do. [QUOTE]

I'm going to try something tomorrow night. After dinner I'm going to drive him down to the boardwalk which is 3 km end to end. I'm going to tell him to take his walk of 6 km while I, who have been walking all day, will wait in the car with water for him and a magazine for me to catch up on my reading. That way I'm with him offering encouragement without killing myself.

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions about food. I will just have to learn to ignore "His" foods and put healthy ones on the coffee table when we sit down in front of the tube.

I too am now sporting a black eye, the result of a collision with a labrador retriever skull. Never a dull moment!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post

I too am now sporting a black eye, the result of a collision with a labrador retriever skull. Never a dull moment!

Dagmar
I'm sorry but that made me laugh!! Sorry for your eye! But those labs to have hard heads--don't they?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Just popping in to say Hello

This week seems to be going much better than last week. 1363 calories yesterday and 1332 today. I even went to the mall on my lunch hour today and walked for 20 minutes. I know it's not much but, hey I'm working on it

Now lets see if I can put 3 complete days together

Sorry to hear about all the black eyes this week and the avocado slip with the knife. Hope everyone had a great day despite the pain
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Now he's brought home ice cream, cookies, alcohol (which I didn't drink) and chocolate in the last 3 days. I have lots of will power as long as I don't have this stuff in the house but when he shows up with it I usually cave. He's also insisting I sit down and watch TV with him at night, one of the key things that make me overeat in the evening.

Hi Mudpie, If you were an achoholic would he pour a drink for you? Its sabatoge in the niceset way possible. It happens in alot of households because of thier feelings . AMy BF has been on diets and exersize most of his life. He ate a Mc D's in front of my in th car and made a huge deal about it. Just to be an @ss and prove a point. I was on a diet and he wasnt. Bought a home gym and never uses it. I love him but its classic. I my x u7sed to try to sweetly do anything to keep me from attending classes or another semester when I was in school. If they are insecure they want you too feel it too. He is afraid of something? Like u will leave if you get confidient. I have 15 lbs on me but my issues are in my head. I just have to push though them. U will too. Be strong Stick to being good to u !!!
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Husbands! I'm right there with you on this one, girls. Mine is very tall and on the thin side, but he is a type 1 diabetic and has been for almost 30 years. He's a pump user, so he doesn't have to be as careful with diet as someone on shots because he can bolus for the carbs he takes in, BUT trust me, I worry about him so much!

He will exercise with me, but it's very random... definitely not a regular thing. If it's nice out and he's not too tired, he'll join me for tennis, a walk, or a ride. And he will eat what I serve him, but if he goes to the store, it's junk city. He recently is developing a little bit of a belly and said they other day that he needs to go on a drastic diet. I told him all he needs to do is walk or ride with me 3 or 4 times a week, but he looked at me like I was nuts. He's convinced himself that playing drums for an hour or two after work is all he needs for a cardio workout. Yes, he sweats, but it is not all over cardio.

Anyway, guess I needed to vent about this topic too... thanks for listening.

I had an ok day today -- 1 hour walk with my exercise buddy... at 'ok' ... could've been a little better. I'm trying to get out of my slump.

I don't want to hear about any more black eyes or stabbed fingers tomorow. Be careful out there chicas!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #42  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello everyone. Thanks for a welcome!

Cannot exercise till Friday - my husband is traveling and I don't have the time to work out and take care of the kids. I exercised very day the last 10 days knowing this break was coming up. Eating has been pretty good too for the last few days as well. just need to be careful about what I eat at my group's lunch outing tomorrow!
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #43  

Height: 5'6

I slice the avocado long way then take a spoon and slide it under and around the pit, digging the excess avocado off the pit..then scrape the rest off the skin with the spoon. I would definitely cut myself while trying to "jab" the pit with the other method. I have a permanent butter knife scar on my left index. I was making a grilled cheese...using frozen butter (okay, so I was a cheap-o and bought it on sale and froze what I didn't need). As I tried to cut the frozen butter with a butter knife (duh), It slipped and took a chunk of my finger into the frying pan....had to have it cauterized and have avoided knife use since
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #44  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie
I'm going to try something tomorrow night. After dinner I'm going to drive him down to the boardwalk which is 3 km end to end. I'm going to tell him to take his walk of 6 km while I, who have been walking all day, will wait in the car with water for him and a magazine for me to catch up on my reading. That way I'm with him offering encouragement without killing myself.
I think I'd try another tactic, I would be very annoyed if someone would FORCE me to exercise... Why don't you walk with him? I know you've been walking all day, but I think he'd be more apt to walk if you went with him, this would be a good time to talk...Don't make the walk so long, to start of course, extend the walk as you both get fitter... Just a suggestion

Didn't exercise today had bad stuff for supper because it was DS's 19th birthday... I'll do better tomorrow...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Wink Enough about me

Babyfat Good luck on the lunch outing today!

Allison I'm laughing too. I've had many collisions with labs in the 13 years I've been a dog walker and it feels like their heads are made of concrete!

abbyin 20 minutes of walking is much better than sitting. You are working on it. Hope your 3rd day goes well!

Angela You're so right about the "sabotage in the nicest way possible" and the insecurity.

Claire My DH also plays drums and he's also convinced it's a great workout - why I think DH can stand for "dumb husband" sometimes.

Ilene My DH says he would gladly go for a walk by himself in the evening but can't drive for 10 minutes because "traffic is so horrible".

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote