Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #16  
Lisa B.

Default Transitioning from EFS to original Fat Smash

I am curious if the book explains how to transition from the "jump start" process of Extreme Fat Smash back to the more moderate plan. Since EFS is billed as a "3 cycle program" are you supposed to live the third cycle, in place of the "Temple" phase of Fat Smash?

Any input appreciated...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #17  

Hey Lisa,

You don't live the third cycle with EFS. You do the three cycles in order for a total of three weeks and then if you want to lose more after the third cycle is over, then you repeat a cycle (but never the same cycle twice in a row).

Once you've reached your goal weight, then you go to a maintenance phase. Hope that all made sense.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #18  
Time For A Change

S/C/G: 225/205/160

Height: 5"5

Default Question

What about the Zatarains black beans and rice is that acceptable on phase 1?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #19  

MissVee, I ate the Zatarians dirty rice a couple of times the first week and lost 3.4 pounds so I don't think it caused any damage. He does say you can eat brown or dirty rice.

I went from big fat beans to lentils in week two. The big beans were causing me so much gas pain. I switched to lentils (made a thick Greek lentil soup I grew up eating) and that problem went away. If anyone wants the recipe, just let me know. It's simple and fits in the EFS plan.

Did the three week cycle, lost 6 pounds and 4 inches, took 4 days off and am back on it. I started week one day one today. Here's to a successful week for everyone and to me getting smaller!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #20  

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi042 View Post
I switched to lentils (made a thick Greek lentil soup I grew up eating) and that problem went away. If anyone wants the recipe, just let me know. It's simple and fits in the EFS plan.
Yes, please post the soup recipe! I have been making Progresso stock go up by buying theirs regularly!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #21  

Sure thing. I hope you like it if you try it! I make it thicker than what it should be.

one diced onion
one diced carrot
one diced garlic clove optional
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2.5 cups chicken broth (or water)
1 cup lentils
salt and pepper to taste
white vinegar optional

Saute onions, carrots, garlic in a bit of olive oil or you could skip the olive oil and use oil spray.

Add tomato paste, chicken broth and lentils and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour or until lentils are tender. Stir often, add more water if it's too thick while it's cooking. Season with salt and pepper anytime.

Once lentils are tender, remove from heat and add a couple of splashs of vinegar if you want. You have to taste as you do this. I personally love the vinegar but it's still good without it.

That makes about 2 cups worth and I've refrigerated it for about 5 days with no problem.

Let me know how you like it if you try it.

Oh, you can do this with any sort of beans but without the vinegar. I did this with mixed soup beans and added cumin and it gave it a refried bean flavor which I really liked. Good too mix up with rice and veggies and salsa.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #22  
Lisa B.

Default Maintenance

My bad! I just picked up my copy of the book, and now see there are three cycles which can repeat - but my question remains the same. Once in the maintenance range, is it the same as "The Temple" in Dr. Ian's original Fat Smash book? I had great success using that plan last summer - - lost steadily from August to October, got below my original (1985!!) WW Lifetime Goal, but fell off the wagon between Halloween and New Years. I put on 6 pounds and am at a weight my body seems to really like - though I don't!Since then, FS wasn't nearly as effective so I was excited to find this "new" plan - now that I've looked it over, and put it all down in an online calculator, I find the calorie intake to be nearly HALF what I was eating on the original. No wonder people are losing weight like crazy. I'm game to give it a try, as it is short term - but he also limits veggies to a certain number of servings a day, which is far less than good health practices would indicate. Some days only build in two servings, and if you are one of the unfortunate dieting profiles - like me - he even eliminates servings of VEGGIES on some days! Sorry, a serving of 35 calorie green beans isn't what got me here in the first place, right?

I was so impressed with the balanced nature of FS, this is really a contradiction and unexpected. But, like I said - I'm game to give it a fair shake -

Thanks for the response - this is my first experience posting to a message board,

Lisa B.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #23  

Hey Lisa,

I did the extreme fat smash for the full 3 weeks and by the end I was exhausted. I am sure it was due to the low calories and high exercise requirements. I didn't lose the promised 12 pounds but don't have alot to lose. I have read a couple of postings where they did lose around 12 pounds though. I lost about 5 pounds total with the EFS and am happy about it.

I do love the general menu so after a few days off, I am back on week one. Crossing my fingers I still have success.
Good luck to you and we're here if you have any questions!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #24  
chitownrn

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Has anyone jumped from the Fat Smash Diet to the EFS?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #25  
Lisa B.

Default Fat Smash v. Extreme FS

I haven't moved directly from Fat Smash into Extreme - and I'm debating doing it at all. I had great success on the original, never felt weak or hungry and was able to flavor the staple items - like rice and oatmeal - to keep from getting bored. Its been a year, and I STILL eat eggwhites almost every day! I'm down to my last 6 or 8 pounds (again) and plateaued both on WW and FS so I'm looking to Extreme FS to break through that. Over time, my body had become very efficient at using what I give it, making the weight hard to shake.

BTW - in a side by side comparison using my food diaries, the original FS was remarkably close to the food selections and calorie/nutrient intake as the Core Plan, which impressed me. Extreme just seems a little "fad-ish" to me if used for more than just a jump start.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #26  
Lisa B.

Okay, okay! I know I may be looking "for the hair in the soup" - as my grandma would say, but I have found yet another contradiction in the Extreme Fat Smash book.

As IF the original wasn't vague enough, leaving much to interpretation, on page 43, under Cycle Guidelines, it very specifically states "You are allowed up to 2 snacks each day. The snacks must be 100 calories or less. You do not have to eat the snacks; it's up to you." BUT on page 13, at 9:00 on the sample schedule plain as day is SNACK #3. Am I missing something here, did I not read carefully enough?

I have emailed Dr. Ian as encouraged on the website several times - and have never gotten a reply or acknowledgement. Anyone?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #27  

Lisa you are right. There are two spots where he says you can have three snacks and then he also says two snacks. I don't think a third snack will kill anyone especially since the plan is so low in calories. During the last 10 days, I usually had to have a third snack just to get some energy. I would make sure the third snack was something very healthy though like fruit. I read others say they would have a third snack when they needed it too.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 245/227/180

Height: 5 feet

Hello ladies. Just remember that in the book it says you can have unlimited carrots and celery sticks unless i am wrong. Please do inform me. Also an apple with its fiber and all would be one of your best choices for snacking if need be. Keep up the great work ladies.

Last edited by smooches; 03-24-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 245/227/180

Height: 5 feet

Hello ladies, question. How do I place a ticker as my signature or is that possible. Do we have to manually do it all the time. Thanks. Also at the bottom of my screen it says html code is off. How do I fix that or do I. Thanks again to all.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #30  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hey Smooches! This thread is pretty old, from last summer it seems by the dates on the posts, so those gals may not be hanging out here anymore.

I believe you need thirty posts to get your ticker in your signature. I'm not certain about that, though.

Kara