Old 08-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #1  

Smile Different (Christian) Denominations

I was looking at this forum and started to think about how many different Christians there were here. In Christianity there are SO many different denominations. I find it a little sad that we don't know much about anything but our own denomination.

I for one would LOVE to hear about the different denominations of Christianity. I know a little bit do to having a preacher for an older brother. But that, of course, comes from his point-of-view and may not (DOESN'T) show other beliefs in their correct light.

Actually, the REAL point of this topic is that I recently moved to a new state. The last church I went to was a HUGE let down. That has really made me start to question my own denominational views. And, truthfully, I've been questioning them for YEARS.

So, lets discuss different denominations. ^_^
broadwayfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #2  

Default Hello!

I'm happy to talk to you about my beliefs. They are pretty simple, really. I believe that God is the only God. Jesus is His son come to earth. That Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified for my sins, went to the depths of ****, was buried and rose again on the third day and sits at the right hand of His father and will someday return to this earth. Honestly, I believe these things are the fundamental things and that a lot of other things are perifreal and personal. I do believe one should keep the Ten Commandments (and I believe they are commandments not the ten suggestions ) There are some things that I'm actually not sure about. For example: HOW is Christ returning? Some people say he's coming to get us and then destroying the earth-going to heaven and that's it. Others say-he's returning and setting up a kingdom here on earth and reigning for 1000 years. I say, who cares how he's coming all I need to know is that he's coming and I'd better be ready! I don't mean to sound flip and I am studying on things to come to my own belief but I do mean to say that there are some things that just aren't worth arguing about, you know? Focus on what brings us together, not what divides.

Anyway, I hope I helped. Again, I don't mean to sound flip about some things but I believe a lot of the difference in denominations are man made and not from God.

Well, gotta run. Hope you get more responses and let me know if there's any way I can help you on your journey to understanding.
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I agree with you SKINNY-BUTT....remember Christ descended into **** to PROCLAIM VICTORY!!

Our Lord tells us NO ONE knows the hour or the day of His return!

I am a Lutheran Missouri Synod

Thanks BROADFIEND for the thread!

Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Good post, Skinny Butt -

I, too, am Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and believe me I look forward to Christ's return!!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #5  
All That's Left of Me

Hi all! I am an Evangelical...but my son just began attending kindergarten at a private Lutheran school.

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #6  

Hi Amandaholly,
I found your post interesting. I certainly hope you get many responses. As for myself,
I'm going to a non-denominational church to fellowship with the body of Christ. Yes, there are many churches and I think it is wonderful that so...many people love God, YEAH! May you be richly blessed. bumpy47
bumpy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:26 AM   #7  
To God be all the Glory

I believe that Jesus died for my sins that He shed his blood for me I believe that he rose from the dead so that I may have ever lasting life. I believe in the power of prayer , I trust everything to Him including my weight loss. Sure I can do it on my own but then it wouldnt last so I trust in Him for guidence and the weight will stay off. I believe that there is power in the blood of Jesus and I apply it over all areas of my life including family and friends.
junetwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #8  
joan fay

S/C/G: 158/154/135

Height: 5'1"

Wink Different (Christian) denominations

Amen to all of you. What wonderful testimonies. I belong to the Presbyterian church USA. I am an evangelical and believe in the diety of Christ - also belive he came to die for my sins. We are all sinners and are forgiven. What a concept. I really am not much for denominations even though I belong to a main line denomination. There are no denominations in heaven. Thank goodness for that. Anyway blessings to everyone and happy dieting.
Joan Fay
joan fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

well , heres mine.

I am a Holy Spirit filled raising of the hands Jesus freak to say the least! I believe in the Father , the Son and the Holy Spirit , I believe that He is the son of the Living God that died for my sins and rose again. I have been called Charasmatic , but to me it is the freedom to love Jesus freely I want to dance as David did before God . In Jan of this year I decided to lose weight with God's help this time and though I have rough times He has brought me through them. anyway , I am not one that is big on denominations , my sister who is a Southern Baptist and I being a non denomination/ Charasmatic person have agreed to the fact that we both serve the same Amazing God .
God bless and take care.
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #10  
joan fay

Amen to all that replied. Just wonderful. Happy Fourth of July
Joan Fay
Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was raised Catholic, but became Lutheran (Missouri synod) when I married my husband three and a half years ago. I had not exactly "lost" my faith, before I met my husband, but rather I had gotten lazy and had stopped practicing my faith (my husband as well, to a large degree). When we were going through new member classes at our first mutual church (Missouri synod), I decided to convert in part because the Lutheran doctrine in many ways was closer to my personal understanding of the scriptures, and in part because my husband was more committed to staying Lutheran, than I was staying Catholic. My husband and I are both currently disabled, and have become much more active in our current church (Missouri synod in Wisconsin). I'm realizing that my renewed commitment to Christ, and a Christian life has more to do with maturity than denomination. I find that I have nearly as many problems and questions with Lutheran doctrine and practice as I did with Catholicism. I browsed through a book about 20 years ago that spoke of the strengths (and admitting the weaknesses) of each denomination. The title was something about finding your place in your own denomination (not denomination-hopping without good reason, basically). I wish I had bought that book.

Two other great books are "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic," and "Catholicism for Dummies." The first book, I especially recommend to to anyone who argues that Catholics aren't "real" Christians. Even as a former Catholic, I cringe when I hear so much "Catholic-bashing" among non-Catholic Christians. I think it's most ironic coming from Missouri Synod Lutherans. The Missouri Synod Lutheran traditional Sunday communion service would be nearly indistinguishable from most Catholic masses to anyone not extremely familiar with both.

I love the fact that people are able to worship in so many ways, and that whatever your personal needs, you can find a church home in which you can thrive, but it is sad that it is so often used as a way to separate and divide us as Christians rather than unite us.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #12  

I love to talk about this sort of stuff... I am a member of a non-denominational church, so I guess its hard for me to talk about what denomination I belong to ;-). After being a member of another church for 14 years I left last year to start going to the more conservative church. The 14 year stint, was with a non-denominational church as well, but God had some other things in mind for us. Actually over the Independence Day holiday, I got together with 3 other families that had left the church before we did, and we all came to the same sort of understanding as to why we left. It was healing in a way. But anyways...it is hard to find a healthy well-balanced church, but not impossible. My beliefs are fairly simple, I believe in One God who has revealed himself in 3 persons, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ died for my sins, and on the 3rd day rose again. I believe that he will return for his Bride, although, like others I don't exactly know everything there is to know about that event.

Last edited by Katsing; 07-11-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Katsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #13  
joan fay

Default Different denominations

Hi Katsin
Denominations can be a very troubling thing. I often wonder what the good Lord is thinking - when he sees us all running helter skelter to different churches. There are some main things as you have mentioned and I agree with all of them. So upward and onward. The weight thing remains to be the bain of my life. The amount looks small to some people. But, I have been dinking around with the same 25+ pounds for years. I'm tired of it.
So, any support is greatly appreciated. Lets hope that ladybug doesn't get stuck on that flower.
Joan Fay
Old 07-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #14  
joan fay

Sorry Katsing - I mispelled your name
Joan Fay
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8"

well higherfaith I hope you don't mind but I ditto this wonderfully put it is so me!

I am a Holy Spirit filled raising of the hands Jesus freak to say the least! I believe in the Father , the Son and the Holy Spirit , I believe that He is the son of the Living God that died for my sins and rose again. I have been called Charasmatic , but to me it is the freedom to love Jesus freely I want to dance as David did before God .I decided to lose weight with God's help this time and though I have rough times He has brought me through them. I am not one that is big on denominations I have agreed to the fact that many of us all serve the same Amazing God .
God bless and take care.
Big House is offline   Reply With Quote