Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #46  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - Ginny - great idea for getting through ALL medical tests

Numpster - You will do fine - listen to your SIS
Bargoo had great advice as well!

Prayers continuing for all! Such a busy time of year.
Good news on the DS2 front - he is doing better each day Finally eating solid foods today. And - I saw a SMILE - and not a cock-eyed droopy one either

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers.

My microwave "zapped" today, so I'm off to do some research on new ones.

Blessings!

Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #47  

I had an MRI 3 yr. ago and they put a wash cloth over my eyes and played hymns while you were having it done. You had your choice of music. The technician was just super and so comforting. It took about 30 min. but I got through it.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #48  

Hello, everyone, thanks for your encouragement regarding the MRI. I have no fear of pain, that is not my concern in the least. It's confining and if one has a phobia with closed in spaces....that's a good one to set it off. Like I said, I will give it one more chance with the sedative.

Hey Rosebud, are you sure that wasn't a CT scan you are talking about? I've had several of those (kidney stones). It isn't nearly as confining and I had no problem with it at all. The MRI, I'm afraid to say, you do touch the sides, that's what freaked me out and my face was inches from the top. I did go all the way inside but couldn't tolerate it. I know that sounds stupid and I was humiliated, but it wasn't anything to laugh about afterwards when you are in a panic. They don't put anything in my blood and it isn't just a few minutes, the technician said it takes 1/2 an hour or more. They give you ear plugs because apparently the noise is really loud which doesn't concern me either. Nor can they communicate with you once you are in it. They give you this ball to squeeze for emergency if you need them because they can't hear you. Sorry but I want someone right there if I panic, not in another room which means I'm stuck in there until they get back to me. Thus why DH is going to go with me this time. There is no option of music or anything of that sort. Anyway, don't worry, I'm not going to! Either I succeed or I don't.

Last edited by Numpster; 12-14-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Numpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Numpster, you can do I was very nervous before I had one and someone reccommended keeping my eyes closed during the MRI and I really reccommensd that , too. It is not so frightening that way. And yes it is very noisy. In the last several months I have had an assortment of scans and while they make me nervous this is what I have to do to find out what is wrong so treatment can start. You can do it.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-18-2008 at 03:03 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #50  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Numpster-I've had many MRI's and I do have a little claustrophobia. It does take awhile and it is noisy, but they have mikes and speakers so they can talk with you while you are in there. They had me put on earbuds and played whatever music I wanted. I never open my eyes inside the tube and I do alot of visualization-imagining being on a beach with the waves washing around me. I've never had the option of this, but the hospital here has an open-sided MRI unit. Don't know if they can use that for brain scanning, but would be worth asking whether that's available. I've never had any kind of sedative for the MRIs, but if they don't make you sick (I always end up nauseous and vomiting) it'd be worth a try if the open-sided unit isn't an option. I have had to have contrast used for the MRIs before and that is done intravenously and does make you feel warm (it also made me have an allergic rash all over). I've made it through all of mine and one set took almost 2 hours-I was almost ready to push the button on that one, because I was about to crawl out of my skin from having to lay on my back for so long, but none of the others I've had were that long. Hope some of this helps and that you find out good news. Don't let the technicians intimidate you-the ones here know that some of us just can't stay in that tube without having issues.

Laurie-glad you son is doing better! Best wishes on finding a new microwave, too. We thought ours was toast a few days ago, but then it just started working again

Ginny-prayers for the stress in your life. Even when we know that God is in control, sometimes life just gets to us and weighs us down. I know He'll help in all of your stresses

Gary-thanks for the offer of the guest room-you have no idea how appealing that sounds, simply to escape the snow (9"total so far) and the wind chill (-30F expected tonight)! It's amazing how God works to help people out. I bet your ex never expected to receive a housefull of furniture and then to also have the opportunity to share the blessing with others who are in need is incredible!

I know I've missed someone, but know that all of you are in my prayers. Have a really nice evening!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #51  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

NUMPSTER ~ I have had three different kinds of those scans. One I had many, many years ago, I went into a smaller tube-like thing and it was noisey, so they gave me earplugs just like someone here said. They also suggested that I keep my eyes closed if I wanted to. It did take a bit longer, but I was fine. The techies were very considerate and consoling all during the procedure and yes, they could talk to me through a mike/speaker just as they did in the last type too.

The second one was a partially open one, but it was much more squishy and pressed close to me and was a bit harder for me becuz I am large and had to keep rolling over and over to different positions. And the last one, was likely a CT scan like you said, and probably did take about 30+ minutes; it just seemed quick to me, that's all; probably becuz we spent most of the time talking and doing other stuff, but the actual time in the machine wasn't that long. I like the idea of the music/singing too; and the visualization technique is something that I have used for years for many reasons! I know that you can do this; it's really not as bad as our minds think it will be. We will pray for you about this as well!

LAURIE ~ so glad DS2 is doing so much better that he can eat again; poor fella ... I feel sorry for anybody with teeth problems, as I hate going to the dentist and remember a few bad teeth myself.

GINNY ~ prayers going up for you and for peace in your life too. Our family has gone through a lot of stresses over the years, so we know that it is imperative to rely on and to trust GOD: and He will carry you through, if need be; and come here for encouragement too ... these kind folks have been a great support to me over the last couple of years: wow, can't believe that much time has passed.

GARY ~ that was very kind of that man to donate/give all the good furniture away; GOD gives and blesses through others all the time, and now you all can pass that blessing on to others too! Wonderful!

RONNI ~ you have some good ideas there for Numpster.

HI TO BARGOO and CAROL ...

We had a good day today; and the temps were much warmer (thank you GOD) and we've also had some more snow dumped on us as well, but as I said earlier, I'd rather have that than -30F temps. We just stayed home today and relaxed. Had a nice roast chicken and veggie dinner tonight; one of our faves. Take good care folks, you are all in my prayers as you know ...ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #52  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Here are some pictures of decorations on my house and church. Sorry the ones in the church are so dark...it really is pretty with all the lights on the trees all lit up!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-03-2010 at 05:49 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #53  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Gary-Your house and church look so nice! Did you make the Nativity yourself? It's really beautiful and I've not seen one like that anywhere else.

Hope everyone's having a great day! We're staying in from the cold here today, but must go out tonight as DS2 and another teen from youth group are bell-ringing for the Salvation Army tonight. It's going to be sooooooo coooooold, but the store where they will be usually lets them come into the entryway when it's like this. They're really customer friendly.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #54  

Ronni - hope you are able to be inside the entry - it is really cold and windy here -

Gary - the pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing

Numpster - I hope the scan goes well! You CAN do this, just remember that HE will be there with you through the whole thing!

Rosebud - I'm afraid that we are sending some cold weather your way - the rain turned to ice and then the temperature plummeted today - windchill is -10F

Hello to everyone else! I hope you are having a great Monday!

We didn't have school today - because of the frozen - icy roads. It was a blessing and I was able to get a lot of work done without people calling me constantly

Making roasted veggies tonight - just to heat up the house

Blessings to all & prayers ascending!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #55  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LAURIE ~ yes, we did get that weather: all last night it dropped heavy, wet snow; then the temps came up to 40F , but then it started raining ; and then these terrible whirling winds came up and made the walls feel like they are gonna cave in, and now the temps are falling fast to about -16C, and of course our roads are all icy too. The schools were also closed here because of the weird and dangerous weather. So, you know that we stayed home today as well!

GARY ~ thanks for the pics; they are great! Yes, someone is very creative and skilled with that nativity scene; and I bet your church does look marvellous with all those beautiful lit-up trees. I love to see churches where the people take such pride in this season, and give it their all.

RONNI ~ good for your son and friends going out to ring bells for the Salvation Army; may GOD BLESS them for it, and keep them warm too!

Well, it's time to go check dinner, we are a bit late tonight; take care ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #56  
burned out bus driver

Another drive by visit to say hello. I keep hoping that things will slow down.....Hi to everyone. Hope this is a great week for all.
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #57  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HI GALS ~ Angie and I bought Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus...I made the stable frame and put the lights on it. The Jesus sign is on plywood with a rope light that Angie and I made about 8 years ago...neighbors we don't even know will stop, when they see us outside, at all times of the year to thank us for putting it up.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #58  
Quit counting at 45!

Hi! Just a quick note to let you know that I'm still in the land of the living. I just don't have a lot of spare time right now. I will try to make time to read the posts and pray for the requests.

We are in a deep freeze right now. Way too early in the season for us. It's about time Gary started sharing his warm weather again!!

Have a great day!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma12 View Post
It's about time Gary started sharing his warm weather again!!
Wilma - what a WONDERFUL idea! Thanks for your post - good to know how you are doing!

This winter reminds me of winters we had 10-15 years ago.

Ginny - hope thing slow down for you soon!

Rosebud - stay warm - I hope your leg is healing well!

Gary - I know how it is - we have people stop and thank us for putting up our nativity every year. We are one of a very few out there - so many Santas and deer and now cartoon characters.

Doing well today - very busy work day, and I'm not sure what the plans are for the evening. I'm ready for a nap, but it is our anniversary (30th) so DH might want to go out.

Hope you all had a blessed day - prayers continuing for all!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #60  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Happy Anniversarry LAURIE! It would have been my 30th last month if Brenda hadn't pulled the plug!

I really don't mind the Santa's and cartoons....but I do like to see the "reason" around!

Good to see you Wilma!