Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Do I HAVE to join a gym?

I've done the gym thing....hated it! Now I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to go.

Everytime I read about someone's huge weightloss, the word "gym" always comes up. I have a treadmill and 5 lb weights at home. Do I have to join a gym to get results? Can I do this on my own? Am I just kidding myself to think I can lose 45 lbs. without going to a gym or having a trainer? (oh, and I hate videos too. Too much raw-raw for me)

Thanks!

Heidi
180/180/135
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Yes and no. I won't lie, the most important thing I did in my weight loss journey was joining a gym... but now I hardly go because my favourite sort of exercise is stuff I can do outside the gym, like running outside. In fact, today the manager of my gym asked me where I'd been because he hadn't seen me for so long (I used to go every weekday before work). So I'd say that doing exercise IS vital, but it doesn't necessarily matter where you do it, although for some people the variety of a gym (and the money spent on gym fees) gives a better incentive to go.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #3  

Try stumptuous.com for at-home ideas.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Helen. Exercise is vital. If you can motivate yourself enough to do exercise regularly and work out hard without a gym, then that is all you need. I would say you should invest in some more weights than 5 lb weights though. I think weight lifting is critical to weight loss as it builds up your metabolism. Also we naturally lose muscle after the age of 30 which is partly why our metabolism slows. I belong to a gym and I enjoy it. One of my favorite things is outdoor exercise except with this recent heat, I am not doing so well in outdoor exercise lately.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #5  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I agree: while I've joined a gym and love it, I don't think that it is absolutely necessary to do so. However, it is absolutely necessary to commit to some sort of exercise- and not just "for weight loss", but for general health, longevity, vitality, and loss maintenance. (i.e.- don't think you can quit once you've gotten to your goal weight )

I often hear people talk about how much they "hate exercise", but when I ask further, the exercise they are talking about is often something very specific, like going to the gym, or taking an aeorbics class, or what-have-you. It's important to remember that lots of different things are exercise- swimming, bike riding, hiking, walking, tennis, team sports, gardening- just to name a very few. It might not be that you hate exercise as much as that you just haven't found the right kind of exercise for you. Something that you find fun enough to want to do even when your excess weight is gone and you might find it harder to force yourself into it.

It just comes down to this: healthy people are active people. They might not all have gym memberships, but they are all active.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Nope you don't have to join a gym, but you do need to exercise. The only reason all those people succeed at weight lose is because they continued to challenge their body. they lifted weights that challenged their muslces, did cardio that was challenging... and this is KEY!!!

forget about the myth that you will get "big" from lifting weights-YOU WON"T!!!!!!!!... muscle=metabolism I suggest going to a used sporting goods store and buy weights in 8 lbs 10 lbs and 15lbs...start using them...look on the net for sites that will teach you proper form. for toning and building (aka increasing metabolism) you should lift 10-12 repitions of each exercise at least 2-3 times. Your last repition (for all sets) should be hard. If its not, increase the weight.

You can also use your body weight for things such as push ups, squats, lunges. use the weights (or anything in the house like books) to add weight when needed-again, look on the net for proper form.

you can use the stairs/couch for step ups (legs), dips (back of arms), push ups (chest) etc...

they are many things you can do at home to get the same results as in a gym...it just takes a bit more creativity

The thing to remember is to find something you enjoy and to challenged your body a bit more every workout!
good luck...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
I often hear people talk about how much they "hate exercise", but when I ask further, the exercise they are talking about is often something very specific, like going to the gym, or taking an aeorbics class, or what-have-you. It's important to remember that lots of different things are exercise- swimming, bike riding, hiking, walking, tennis, team sports, gardening- just to name a very few. It might not be that you hate exercise as much as that you just haven't found the right kind of exercise for you..

Does 12 hour shopping marathons count? I did about 18k steps! LMBO!!!!

This won't be the popular opinion but you can lose tons of weight without excercise. Excercise to me is a body staminia builder, toner (who wants flabby), muscle building (which does aid in helping your body burn fat faster), and something people should definatley include in their lifestyle change for health reasons. People who excercise and eat poorly won't lose weight but people who have a good diet but don't excercise will lose weight (but might be flabbier).
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I've had long periods when I had no gym membership - mostly because there was no gym close by, but whatever. You can certainly do other exercise, but I agree with Helen, Nelie and Jen, you probably need exercise to succeed and maintain weight loss. A treadmill at home is great, and 5# weights will get you started. Just find something you enjoy and go for it!

Edited to add: As deafinly smart says, you can lose weight without exercise. I lost nearly 40 lbs before I started exercising regularly, but I looked much better after I'd been exercising awhile, and lost more weight too!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #9  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I've lost 33 pounds and I've never stepped foot in a gym in my life (unless you count the time that I was 10 and went to a gym's pool). I walk and volunteer to get boxes from the fridge and freezer at work (McDonald's) and that's basically all the different kinds of exercise I do. Exercise is vital; joining a gym may not be for you.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #10  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart

This won't be the popular opinion but you can lose tons of weight without excercise. Excercise to me is a body staminia builder, toner (who wants flabby), muscle building (which does aid in helping your body burn fat faster), and something people should definatley include in their lifestyle change for health reasons. People who excercise and eat poorly won't lose weight but people who have a good diet but don't excercise will lose weight (but might be flabbier).
I agree with this to some extent. You may very well lose a lot of weight IF you are starting at a high weight (for me this wont work, Id have to lower my cals under 1000, which is bascially starvation mode). eventually though you will have to do one of two things to continue to lose 1)exercise or 2) continue to reduce your calorie intake. If you opt for # 2 you will eventually stall unless you reduce to an unhealthy level.
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
I agree with this to some extent. You may very well lose a lot of weight IF you are starting at a high weight (for me this wont work, Id have to lower my cals under 1000, which is bascially starvation mode). eventually though you will have to do one of two things to continue to lose 1)exercise or 2) continue to reduce your calorie intake. If you opt for # 2 you will eventually stall unless you reduce to an unhealthy level.

This is not true for everyone. This is my 4th time losing weight. The first time I got down to the low part of my BMI. I kept it off for 2 years. I didn't diet. I got pregnant. Gained tons of weight. Waited about 3 years to start losing it. Again, I lost until I reached 10 lbs from goal and then got preggers again. Repeat this story until I've had three children. This is the first time I've considered doing it with excercise because my husband is fixed and I want a lifestyle change for health reasons. Losing the weight didn't come at a drastic unhealthy diet. I just wasn't toned and pretty and have as much stamina as others I see. I've never done a starve myself diet..ever. I stall at times, but I do eventually reach my goals (or get close before preggers happens).

I do advocate people excercising. There is a reason we do. Its good for our bodies. Dieting shouldn't just be about losing weight. Ideally we should be aiming to make our bodies happier.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #12  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
: As deafinly smart says, you can lose weight without exercise. I lost nearly 40 lbs before I started exercising regularly, but I looked much better after I'd been exercising awhile, and lost more weight too!
And I'll bet my $ you were a lot healthier too.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #13  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for the insights. I'm not a fan of exercising, but I am a walker. I walk 5-7 times a week for an hour each time, but it's not challanging for me. I've been walking for years. I walk with my 61 year old mom, and can't up my speed or walk farther, because I want to walk/talk with her.

I can get on the treadmill, but I don't have a lot of time on my hands to waste. (I'm a very busy working mom of 2) I want to hear others say they never go to a gym, but still lost weight doing other things at home, and Lydia said she did. This is very helpful to me because now I know it is possible. I want to lose the weight badly, but not enough to go to a gym. They're just not for me.

I'm not in this to lose weight fast. Currently I'm eating smaller portions and "thinking" of getting on that treadmill. Hopefully this will allow me to lose some of this chunk I've been carrying around, slowly but surely.

I'm not going to start anything I can't do forever, is what I'm getting at. Join a gym, quit the gym. Been there, done that!
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #14  

I don't go the a gym. I walk everywhere and go dancing 2-3 times a week. That's how I lost weight in high school and that's how I'm doing it now.

I probably will start going to the gym to swim once my school membership starts up in the fall, but I love swimming enough that it doesn't matter that I'm "working out". The challenge is to find something that keeps you active and that you like well enough that you know you can stick to it, in or out of a gym.
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

I've lost 35 pounds since Dec/January without being a gym member. BUT, I totally believe that exercise helped and will continue to help. I started off walking, then running, and now I'm adding weight training in my basement. (I don't even own a treadmill, lucky you) I lost all my pregnancy weight 10 years ago and once I stopped the exercise, the weight started back up. I think the exercise also made me accountable in the kitchen. So exercise will have to be a lifetime commitment, just like brushing my teeth, if I want the weight to stay off and remain healthy!

You will have to find your own incentive to find and dedicate the time for you personally.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote