Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! I lived in NH for 2+ years and you're right! It's as cold there in winter, but hotter in the summer, and at least Alaska's economy is better. seriously, there are lots of good things about living in Alaska - winter's not one of them though!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #17  

I simply love Curves. It's the best.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #18  

I'll report back once I join and get a week or 2 under my belt~
Water Rat: You have a twin in PA! I swear you look just like a friend/coworker " Carol".. I had to do a double take
And I for one was always fascinated by Alaska and you hearty Alaskan souls! I think it must be quite an adventure or so very beautiful and uncluttered with people and things! I got hooked on Discovery Channels "The Deadliest Catch" and Kodiak /Unalaska..I would love to do a cruise/kayak trip there..
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #19  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
You have a twin in PA! I swear you look just like a friend/coworker " Carol".. I had to do a double take
Now there's a fact that'd scare my DH! :lol

Both Kodiak and Unalaska are quite far from me, though I know people in both places. I'm just 45 miles northeast of Anchorage, so not so far out in the "boonies."
Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #20  

Pat Pat the Water Rat, Your story intrigues me..you moved from NH or the lower 48 to ALASKA? Do tell? What prompted such a move?
Anchorage... I ww rafted down the Colorado with a Dentist from Anchorage..We called him Dr Dan, Dang if I can remember his last name...
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

Schatzi, I pm's you, as we're getting waaay off topic.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #22  

I feel like I should tell you that I wouldn't join curves since I read in that they turn some of their profits over to anti-abortion groups. Here is an article that shows both sides of the controversy. http://www.womensenews.org/article.c...ontext/archive
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #23  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

"Yet, others say leaving Curves ends up hurting the people, often women, who own the franchises, not Heavin. Erica Lyon, a franchise owner in Seattle, said that she has to pay her $395 a month to Curves International for the remaining eight years of her 10-year contract even if all of her members bail.

"Economically, by quitting your Curves membership you're not impacting him at all because regardless of what you do, I will have to pay him my fees for the next eight years," said Lyon.

Lyon plunked down $20,000 to get the franchise and signed a 10-year contract as well as a non-compete clause that keeps her from closing her Curves and opening a new club under a different name."
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #24  

Ok Ladies I have joined Curves, here are my starting stats,
Weight 264 lbs
Bust 52.25
Waist 47.25
Abdomen 54.5
Hips 52.5
Thighs 31.75
Arms 16
Body Fat % 43.8
BMI 40.2
Did my first work out and I loved it my heart beat was above the target rate, gonna go every second day till kids are back in school and on regular routine then gonna go every day just fro the cardio and i piad for it so em gonna use it and lose it. I thought it was fun i love the hydrolics cause you cant lose your form like free weights. wish me luck on my wiegh tloss journey.
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #25  
Uber-Moderator!!

If you're still undecided, you might want to check out this thread on LWL:

Curves or Regular Gym?

Of particular interest (since they are both certified personal trainers) are Mel's and Meg's responses - I thought Meg's perspective (that of training a Curves MANAGER who needed a trainer to teach her!) was very interesting indeed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Hi Chimo! Since MrsJ volunteered me , I’m happy to throw in my two cents (along with the excellent advice you got from the other posters).

I’ve never done a Curves workout myself, though I’ve been in Curves and seen the equipment. I work as a trainer at a large, traditional gym and recently got two new clients who had been Curves regulars for 18 months but were frustrated by their lack of progress. So I have a few thoughts to pass along based on what they’ve shared with me about Curves workouts and what I've observed (please note – I’m sure that different Curves are managed differently and people have different experiences).

Lack of educated or trained personnel: at least at this particular Curves, there weren’t any trainers or anyone teaching or knowledgeable about exercise. My clients weren’t shown proper use of the machines, correct exercise techniques, and no one explained anything to them about what they were doing or why. They didn’t know anything about the basics of exercise and I was shocked that neither knew where their triceps are -- after 18 months of exercise!

My clients’ body fat percentages were checked monthly at Curves but no one ever explained to them what the number meant (fat pounds versus lean body mass) or how their body fat percent compared to other women their age or what a healthy body fat percent is. It was only a number to them.

The manager of one of the local Curves recently joined my gym and became a personal training client (not mine) because – as she told us – she doesn’t know anything about exercise and needs a trainer to teach her. She told us that employees at her Curves are hired as salespeople, not as trainers or educators. She's made some fabulous progress in the past two months.

Lack of variety: it’s the same workout, over and over and over again. As with any workout in any gym, your body adapts and your progress stops. At Curves, there isn’t any way to change up or progress the exercises, split up the body parts, alter the tempo or intensity, increase weights, use drop sets or supersets, or do any of the thousands of tricks we do in the gym to progress an exercise program.

Perhaps this could be a reason why my clients saw no improvement despite 18 months of regular Curves attendance (3 – 5 times per week)?

Limited equipment: my clients estimated that there were eight machines in a circle, three of which were ab machines. In addition to the ab machines, this Curves had a leg extension machine, inner thighs, biceps, chest press, and shoulder press. Which means that there weren't any machines for back, hamstrings, or triceps (which is probably why my clients didn’t know what their triceps were). Not only does this kind of workout neglect critical muscle groups, but it’s downright dangerous. Muscles work in pairs – an agonist and an antagonist. Hamstrings and quads. Bi’s and tri’s. Back and chest. If you strengthen one muscle group and not the other, you’ll create muscle imbalances that can lead to joint dysfunction and injury.

I’m not very familiar with hydraulic equipment so can’t really speak to its effectiveness. But I was alarmed by the bad form that my clients brought to our equipment (shoulders hunched or elevated, knees buckling in during squats, head and neck forward, pelvic tilt, going at warp speed with no control over the machine etc) and it’s taking quite a bit of time to re-teach them the correct ways to exercise.

Lack of cardio: it’s not enough or intense enough cardio. Curves cardio, at least at this facility, is 30 seconds of marching in place between machines. Effective cardio raises your heart rate to somewhere between 65% and 90% of its maximum (max heart rate is 220 minus your age) and sustains it there for a period of time. I doubt that you can elevate your heart rate sufficiently with 30 seconds of marching in place. And my opinion is that the minimum amount of cardio needed for fat loss – the bare bones minimum – is thirty minutes, three times a week. Five times a week would be preferable.

I did a cardiovascular fitness test on my two clients and both scored in the ‘Poor’ range for their age groups, despite 18 months of Curves workouts.

However, despite all that I said above, I think that Curves can be a way for a woman to get started in an exercise program, especially one who isn’t comfortable in a real gym. Some exercise is always better than none! But, as certified personal trainer, I have some hesitations about the safety and efficacy of Curves workouts.

I want to include a link to a balanced and excellent review of Curves written by well-known fitness expert Tom Venuto.
My advice would be the same for someone considering a traditional gym: I believe that most Curves (and the other 'circuit fitness' storefronts opening under different names lately) generally run specials which include at least one or two free visits (most gyms would offer anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks). If that is at ALL possible, I HIGHLY recommend that you do the entire trial period offered to see if Curves (or 24 Hour, or Jazzercise, or Slender Lady, or Gold's, etc) is really something you can keep doing regularly. You might find that you don't care for the music, or the hours that they're open aren't convenient for you, or the other people are too chatty, or whatever...if you don't like a place, more than likely you'll end up just wasting your money. And also - I'd like to add this - I know a LOT of gals are intimidated by the thought of going to a 'real' gym. I would ask you to put those fears aside - most gyms are WELL AWARE of your fears and the folks who work there (especially at places like the Y) endeavor to ensure that members and prospective members feel as comfortable as possible while working to attain their fitness goals.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #26  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Since it's a franchise business, it's up to the individual owners as to what they put into their branch. The two I've attended both require their staff to be trained in the use of the equipment and they are very anal about watching the group to be sure each person is working the equipment correctly. They will constantly correct your form. They post charts to show proper useage of each piece as well.

As well, one had 13 pieces and another had 14. I'd say one with 8 is very limited and on a tight budget.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

Default Joined Curves today!

Hello, I just found this site, after searching endlessly for somekind of Curves support group kinda thing....
I decided to join Curves today after going through a full workout with the staff at my location, and decided that I need to bite the bullet and get better!
So my weight is out of control at 280, and i'm taking charge.
I really hope after a month i see some results or i may cry...!

CrazyRai
CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #28  

Good for you Crazyrai, I love it. We are kinda close in weight maybe we have the same goal to? 150 but will settle at 199 for a while.LOL anythign under 200. I have only been there 2 1/2 weeks but I love it it keeps me going so far. I have went 6 times in the last 2 weeks, I want to work up to going every day, starting in September when the kids go back to school, and get soem kind of routine going. Best of Luck, if you need support let me know.
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #29  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

I've never gone to Curves (I belong to a *regular* gym), but I wanted to maybe echo a little bit of what Mrs.Jim said. About 6 months ago, a Curves opened up just down the street from my gym. I was talking to one of the trainers (at my gym) recently and he said that MOST of their new clients over the last few months have been what he called "refugees from Curves," and that a lot of these women had sustained injuries on the hydraulic machines because they were never fully and properly trained to use them. It also really bothered him (and ME) that the person who owns the franchise needs no exercise background at all. None. He said that the employees need to know CPR, and that's it. Which makes me worry...

I know it's a franchise, and that the gym can only be as good as the franchise owner and that MANY Curves are probably very professionally run, but I just wanted to throw this info out there. I hope I haven't offended anyone or anything because (as I said) I've never been to Curves.

But I MUST add that I DO think it's a great place to START. As other people have said, when you're starting out it's all about moving, moving, moving!! Plus, I think the whole concept of a women-only gym is fantastic because I know that it really appeals to women who don't want to work out with a bunch of buff guys around -- that can feel really intimidating. Believe me, I know. I put off joining a gym FOREVER because of "those" guys.

So whatever you choose, and whatever WORKS FOR YOU is the right choice!!!!! Congrats on making that first big step!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

Thanks Ice Princess, I went today for my first real workout, and I really like it because it moves along so quickly, that for me i don't get bored, i did 2.5 times around the circuit today and i really had fun, i'm going to go 4 times a week.
My biggest concern is that after a month there will be no change, and if thats the case i'll have a break down..::
But i know i'm trying my hardest when i'm on the machines, so thats what counts.

Last edited by CrazyRai; 08-23-2005 at 08:25 PM.
CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote