Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/175/135

Height: 5'2"

Smile Postpardum abs?

HEY any one have any recomendations on how to get abs back in check after pregnancy?

I am really disappointed in the way my body is shaped now even though I have lost almost all the weight back that I gained.

Thanks;
Angela
ajkulig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #2  
one leg press at a time

I've never been pregnant, but from a lot of reading, I would recommend pilates and fusion/functional fitness to really engage and get all of the core muscles.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

If you are disappointed with the way your body is now start weight training, yoga or pilates and your body will get back into it's formershape. Cardio is important too but weights and core workouts are extremely importnat. You don't mention exercise so maybe you are lacking exercise.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I was wondering how much weight you have left, Angela. My belly doesn't look flat-ish until the very last couple of pounds are gone. I seem to keep my abs under the most resistant layer of fat!
BTW ... how old is your baby?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/175/135

Height: 5'2"

Well I am not lacking exercise, but I am not in as good of shape as I was a year ago. I aim for 45 min of cardio atleast 3 days a week but I try to atleast make myself walk everyday. As far as strength training the only thing I really do now is for my arms. I once upon a time a few years and a couple of states ago did pilates but it wasn't some thing I was into hardcore because I was a theatre major and did a lot of dance which kept me a lot thinner.

I only have 7 pounds to go till I loose my prepregnancy weight but my first ultimate goal is to get back to premarriage weight which was 135 lbs.

Oh yeah and my daughter is 2 months old.

Angela
ajkulig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have had two children-and two pretty large ones. (10lb4oz, and 9lb4oz premature)

When you have a baby and are trying to get back into pre-baby shape it is a different ballgame than if you are just trying to lose 20-30 pounds but have never had a child.

When you have a baby, your abdominal muscles and the belly skin and everything gets stretched out and weakened. My abs after having each of my children looked literally like a blow up beach ball that you let half of the air out of. The muscles are just competely toast.

Cardio burns a lot of calories, so it will help you get rid of body fat and lose pounds, but to regain the strength and firmness in your abdominal and back regions (both affected by pregnancy) you HAVE to strength train that area-either through traditional strength training methods or through Pilates. The muscle has to be worked back into shape, and there is no way around that.

I mostly do full body traditional strength training-including my back and abs-and it has helped trmendously. I had horrible abs after giving birth, and a lot of back pain from the weakened core muscles-and the strength training that I did/do for my abs and back has been a blessing.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Aphil's exercise advice is wonderful. I have nothing to add there.
All I wanted to say was that for two months, you're doing just fine! Keep working away.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote