Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #61  

Height: 5'7"

Default I ran this morning!!!!

Hi Gals,

I'm so excited! After two months of 1st trimester awfulness, I was actually able to get up and run this morning. Well, run/walk anyway. I did my 1.8 mi loop, ran probably 3/4 of it. I feel reborn. Sitting on the couch is just not for me anymore and I feel like I'm emerging from months of sickness. I worked hard, I sweated! WOO HOO!!

Now nobody panic! I took plenty of walk breaks, I was a marathoner and triathlete before I got pregnant, and I have my OB's permission to do this if I feel up to it.

It was a beautiful morning, the prickly pear cactus have started to bloom with their stunning yellow flowers, bunnies and quail are everywhere, and the sun just broke over the mountain as I got home. It was close to perfect.

This calls for a whole row of dancing bananas! Happy running ladies!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

I love those dancing bananas .... Way to go Anne, nice to see you back to your ole self... Oh and I must mention that you must be so proud of DH's Boston marathon!! How cool is that... Was it his first time?

A question for the seasoned runners:

My toes on my left foot are getting numb after running a couple of Ks...When I went to the Running Room in Ottawa this week he recommended some metatarsal arch cushions. I did use for a 5k and by the end of the run they were getting numb again....I have been reading up, on the internet about metatarsal, and it's kinda freakin' me out a bit, I must admit. Should I go see a podiatrist? An orthontist (sp) ? The young guy at the Running Room even recommended taping down a cotton ball in the bottom of my shoe, sounds like a neat trick , but...I dunno about that! I have a 10k at the end of the month, should I back out? I really don't want to... I'm doing a 10k this Sunday with a friend again this week... I'm not sure what to do... My foot does not hurt otherwise...and it only takes a couple of minutes to get back to normal after a run...
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #63  

Height: 5'7"

Ilene, how many K are on your shoes? Might be time for a new pair. Shoes are usually good for about 300 miles (~500K) before the support structures start to mash down and become ineffective. Check also that you aren't tying your shoelaces too tight (as if you don't already know that, but it happens!) Don't have any other suggestions--my feet get numb on my bike and not usually when running. I tend not to worry about it since it goes away quickly when I'm done. A podiatrist that works with runners is probably a good medical choice if it concerns you.

DH was not so happy about his Boston time--it was quite a bit slower than his qualifying marathon time. But he was sick, and injured, and it got pretty hot. Given all that, I think he did a fabulous job.

Anne
Old 04-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #64  
Ilene the Bean

Anne, there are only about 400k on my shoes I've had them since December. This is the reason I went to the Running Room this week, I took the runners with me and the guy looked at them and he didn't really think there was much usage on the underneaths of them to warrant a new pair... I've tried lacing my shoes several ways, loose, tight, medium, I dunno I've run out of options. Deep down I feel that it is the shoes though...

I get numb toes when I bike too... Isn't it annoying?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I am so GEEKED!!!!! I did over four miles today on the track. I have done 4 on the treadmill but never EVER on a track. 12 laps on the indoor track = 1 mile. For the last mile I alternated sprinting a lap and fast paced walking a lap until I got to lap 10. Then I ran the last two at my regular pace. I walked a cooldown lap and then this guy challenged me to run a few more laps at his pace. I couldn't keep up with him but I didn't let him get too far away. After all I am 5'2 with short legs and this guy is about 6'1 so I blamed it on length of stride. At any rate, I am so EXCITED!!!!

Tiki
Old 04-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #66  
Ilene the Bean

Way to go Tiki...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #67  
Ilene the Bean

I had a good run today, did 10K on the , my first time to go so long on that boring machine, but it went by fast enough....
Old 04-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #68  

Tiki!! You talk about me (see LWL) - look at what a role model you are - 12 laps plus a challenge. Was he cute?? l
Closed Thread