Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #31  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

15k this morning. I'm getting the same sore throat thing all my kids have, so I decided to let myself be lazy. Tomorrow, no running but lots of walking with my dds and enjoying the sun.

Welcome Tiki! Good luck getting outside. A rubberized track sounds comfy for the feet and legs, but do you get bored running in circles?

Ilene, I've found the enell sports bra to be very effective in stopping all movement. But it's not cheap nor is it pretty, and it makes my 34Ds look almost non-existent(down from 36DDD bras being too small last year at this time--so I need more support than just my bra size would indicate) sierrablue.ca is cdn source for sportsbras, etc. since shipping from the US can be expensive/impossible. I had to exchange the first bra I ordered from them since I didn't realize my bra size had already dropped significantly and it was no problem to do an exchange.

I'm going to have to try glucosamine after reading all these testimonials to it. The knee soreness is getting better as I get used to running longer distances, but I wouldn't mind speeding up the recovery so I can run 4-5X per week instead of 3-4.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks Only Me I just sent her the link...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

OnlyMe, I don't mind running the circles at the track. On the indoor track I have to run 12 laps to get a mile so I do all kinds of math equations in my head to keep count. On an outdoor track I only have to deal with 1/4, 2/4. 3/4, etc whereas indoors, I'm into 1/12, 2/12 then reduce , etc. I am meeting the parent of one of my daughters friends tonight at the track. She is power walking right now, working up to running. Oh yeah, I got 5 of my friends to agree to join me for the 5K in June. We are putting together a weekend training schedule. This should be so much fun.

Tiki
Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #34  

Default Newbie here

Hello Runners - I am usually over on LWL, but figure this running thing is becoming more than a casual thing. You all inspired me to speak with my trainer about running in Feb of this year. I find that I really enjoy it - I love the feeling and meditative repetition of running. My first 5K is next weekend and my goal is to finish. My next one I hope to run for the whole thing. I am seriously thinking of joining a training program (DCfit) and training for the Las Vegas Marathon in Dec. I picked that one because I have a good support network of friends and family there and they have a fabulous assortment of restaurants and spas for after

My plan is to join DCfit, start training in May, and if I still am as enthused register for the marathon in June. Stay tuned!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Ellen !! WELCOME to Cool Runners !!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #36  

BTW - Champion has all their bras on sale for 19.99

http://www.championcatalog.com
Old 04-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi Ellen, haven't I see you somewhere before

This morning I got the BEST compliment I have had in a while from a guy at my gym who I think is so cool. He's in his 50s and he runs for about an hour. When we are running at the same time, he laps me repeatedly which makes me feel like a slow-poke. Well when I was leaving the gym today he said that he has noticed improvements in my running and that I have a very steady stride and pace. I was grinning BIG TIME !!!! I NEVER get running compliments.

Tiki
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #38  
Ilene the Bean

Well isn't that fun Tiki ... good for you
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen is that a Canadian site?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:52 AM   #40  

Ilene - I think they are in California - all I can tell you for sure is my order was shipped from there by USPS.

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome. Today is a run day for me. I plan on doing a 3/1 run/walk split 8x followed by an hour yoga class (Om)
Old 04-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #41  
Jennifer

Default I Can Run!

As Ilene already knows, I've been starting up with a little jogging. What first appealed to me about it is its portability... you can always take it with you even if there's no gym in sight! At 265 pounds, I never thought I'd be able to do it, but now it's seeming like a total possibility. My dad was a runner before a knee injury made him stop , so sometimes I think I have a genetic predisposition to enjoy it. And consequently 'm careful with those knees!!!!

Anyway, I've been starting out doing 5-minute slow jog (and I mean pretty slow)/walk intervals on the treadmill. Last night I did an hour for the first time ever, and I was so thrilled! I really enjoy the rhythm of running, which is sort of hypnotic/meditative, and it makes me sweat, so I guess that's a good thing. At this point I'm just trying to ignore the calorie counter, as it says I'm burning off so much less than the (probably inflated) counter on the elliptical. Bah... millions of people have lost weight running and walking, so I'm gonna pretend those numbers don't mean anything.

Anyway, I would love to post here from time to time (maybe if I pretend I'm a *real* runner I'll become one?!). You guys rock!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #42  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I have a bunch of questions about running and I thought you all might know the answer . . . I run 3x/week, at a pace of 13-15 min/mile (today I ran 3 miles for the first time!).

After looking at all the running websites I could find, it made me wonder . . . do all runners train for races? Is it strange that I want to just run for fitness? I don't have time to run more than 45 minutes during my workouts, so a 5k is about the only race I could ever do. How can I keep increasing the difficulty of my workout without running longer than 45 minutes? If you run just for general fitness, and you aren't training for distance or anything, how often and for how long should you run?

Also, what is the benefit of registering for a 5k? If you know that you can run that distance, so you know that you can finish it, is there a point to doing it in an organized race? Is it just so you have something to work toward?

I really like running for my workouts, but I guess I get the feeling from reading websites that if you aren't training for a marathon or something, you aren't a "real" runner, and so nobody has any information for you. Do any of you on this thread run just for fitness without training for races? (BTW, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with training for races, I just don't think it's for me.)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #43  
Ilene the Bean

Welcome Teapot!!

Paperclippy -- That's such a cute name BTW ... If you 'run', in my book, you're as 'real' a runner as anyone running to train for a marathon... You certainly can run for fitness only that's the whole point of running. Not everyon is competitive, including me, I just like to compete with myself. I've been running for a year and a half now and I'm entering a 10k on April 31 only because it's 'there', KWIM? I've never even run a 5k as a race, I've done a 5k on my own, now I do it on a regular basis. I also run 10k once/week now... I guess I also want to feel what it's like to be in a crowd running, I know there will be a certain electricity and camaraderie...

One way I keep myself motivated during runs is to play mind games with myself. Let's say I'll do a circuit that I've done in 45 mins before , the next time I do that circuit I will try to do it in 40 mins ... Or I'll do sprints, run fast for 1 minute, walk/slow jog for 1 minute... I play MANY mind games when I'm on the dreaded mill because it's so tedious and boring on that machine...

Hope this helps, I'm sure the seasonned runners will give you some great insight as well.

TTFN
Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #44  

Clippy - I agree with what Ilene said. There is a difference between a "runner" and a "racer". I started running (OK, jog/walking) in Feb and have my first 5K a week from Sunday. My goal is to prove to myself that I can do this. That makes me a "runner" my friend is walking it - she is an "athlete" in my book, as we all are. The point being, running feels good to me and it is something I can do that is actually good for me, too. So I am a runner and so are you. I am not out for time or a "personal Best", but just to have a goal and that works for me.

TPD - I know what you mean about running and connections. I get into a meditative state and I think that is I enjoy this so much. My speed is 4.2 / 3.5 on the treadmill, so I wouldn't be too concerned about being "slow". I am just happy to be moving and my HRM is telling me I am in the "high" intensity zone and the scale is moving down, so it must be good.

BTW - tomorrow is my first 3:1 10x day and I am actually excited by it. With warm up and cool down (4 min each) this will be 48 minutes and my longest run to date. This will probably be my pace on Race Day, as my trainer has me tapering off next week. I'll check back and let you know how I do.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #45  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Welcome and hi ellen and teapot!

Paperclippy, welcome! I third what Ilene said. I decided to train for a half marathon because I wanted a challenge. I'm only going to be racing against myself and the clock though; I'm no where near fast enough to win, but having the race date goal kept me getting outside in January and February. Before I decided to do that, I would run different distances, try to beat my time on my usual routes, alternate going faster and slower, etc to keep things interesting. Or try running up hills (increase % on a treadmill). There's certainly no need to run more than 30-45 minutes for fitness and if it becomes too easy for you, challenge yourself to run faster. If you run, you can call yourself a runner; no race or distance qualifications needed. I supose the benefit of registering in a 5k is to see how fast you can run it and then try and beat yourself. Plus some races have cool t-shirts too. Races are also a way to make running, which is pretty solitary, a more social sport.

Ilene, A 10k race, I'm impressed.
Closed Thread