Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #31  

Default hello again

i guess i just didn't write enough today.
summer i too suffer from depression. it's been on and off sisnce i was a teenager. two years ago it got really really bad so i finaly decided to see a doctor. i was taking two kinds of anti-depressants for almost two years and then i had to stop one because it was taken off the market. now i'm tappering off on the last medication. it made all the difference in the world! i don't think i could have done it with the medication. i would have gone to therapy but i couldn't afford it. anyway i'm too cynical for that stuff. i tried and was analysing the therapist instead.

anyway all this to say that i know what you are going through and i'm rooting for you. don't forget to get help from your doctor if you need it. and i'm sure you are surrounded by people who love you and care about how you feel especially your hubby . and of course sarah and i are here if you need to get things out. i could also give you my e-mail if you like.

take care
see you here soon
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 AM   #32  

Default cardio

hi sarah,
tell me what you think about my cardio routine. i don't know what HIIT is exactly.
i walk at 3.6 for 5 mins which brings me up to around 120-125bpm then 1 min at 4.2 which for me is a slow jog which brings me up to 145-150bpm then walk at 3.6 for 3mins and jog for 1 and so on for 20-30mins. when i go back to the walk portion my heart rate stays up higher than 125 maybe 135.
so my max is 184
125 is 68%
147 is 80%
my only problem is my legs give out before my lungs do.

gen
Old 06-08-2004, 07:55 PM   #33  

Smile

You two are wonderful. To get up and read all you two wrote was fantastic and it made me smile Thank God I found you two...

My depression started in 2001. I do not take meds because I have either been sick to my stomach or walking in a constant fog and I hated that. I don't really trust pharmaceutical companies (or the FDA). When I worked in Europe the lobbyists for the Paharmaceuticals were shady to say the least...between the way they marketed to the information that did not haveto be disclosed was damn scary so I stay away. I do talk to my doctor, the occasional therapist and a close circle of friends and family. It is a small circle because it is amazing the stigma anything mental can have still.

Anyways...

Sarah I have to echo Gen what is HIIT? It sounds impressive but I would like more details please. I swear I will Google the **** out of it when I have time. You have obviously researched this and much about diet and exercise (such as the tipping point on when you could lose valuable muscle tissue) and I admire that. As for my partners there are still a lot of resumes that were sent in to fill such positions so now it is interview, refer and demand. We have some prospects and I am not too worried to be honest...it is just the rebuilding rapport with another is not my favorite thing to do but it will be done! I reread your onew post and said start with small goals - the more I thought about it - the more I realize I have larger nebulous goals but not the smaller baby steps in which to take. Sometimes I think I can Air Jordan from starting point to the goal...that makes alot of sense! Thank you!

Gen you are right you cannot change too much at once. when do you know its time to make another change though? Anyways... my legs often give out before my lungs especially if it is anything near running - I need to build endurance but I don't think a treadmill is the answer for me. I'll stick to yoga, tennis and I like to try lots of new stuff (Qu'est-ce que c'est Yoga Booty Ballet en Francais??) Keep up the contract with yourself this week. Do it for you - not Sarah and not me. Don't beat yourself up about last week it is gone and done...that's one thing I learned.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you both for the kind words, wisdom and good vibes. Eternally grateful!

Quote:
"The only way to have a friend is to be one." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks again. be well.

Summer
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #34  

Smile today

hi there girls,

tues: treadmill walking only but uphill to keep cardio up. abs and stretching. i feel great but sore. good thing tomorrow is an off day.
ahhhh had a beer. feels soooo good at the end of the day .

summer i guess it its time to make another change when the last changes become routine and no longer require any thought or effort.
i know what you mean about being in a fog. i went through about six defferent medications before i found one that didn't make me feel worse. i think its great if you can get through it without though. i too think the pharmaceutical companies are bad bad bad.

yoga booty ballet? je ne sais pas. sounds very odd though. you going to try that?? you gotta let us know what it is!

gen
Old 06-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #35  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Hey you two --

Quick post just to share links to some HIIT info, and then I'll be back to report in later.

Here's a start -- it's from Dave Draper's site, and it's a pretty informative discussion of interval cardio.

I'll be back with more either later today or tomorrow.

Hope you're doing well....hectic, hectic time for me........but I'm thinking warm, supportive thoughts of both of you and send you big, virtual hugs!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #36  

Default soooo achy

hi!

today was the first class of my running course. oh the pain and the agony . i've taken two ibuprofen and some glucosamine-chondrotin for the ol' aching joints. we did 5min warm up walk, 1min jog, 2min walk. we go as a group so i think we looked pretty funny going down the street . a lot of people were staring at us. i think next week is 2min jog. 1min walk. there's an optional group run sundays at 8:30am! oh i'm not that crazy. i think i'll go by myself later on...way later on in the day. i'm soooo glad tomorrow is yoga!
my mom tok the plunge and went to the gym by herself tonight...woohoo mom. maybe from now on (for a while anyway) i'll stick to the eliptical at the gym and jog only wice a week. there's also an outside track at the y so i may try that for jogging.

i figured that i'm eating too many carbs so i went back and checked all my fitday entries and made a list of carbs i can take out (as you can see i have ALOT of time on my hands). my percentages for the last month are 25prot/44carb/30fat. i don't know what it should be...so many opinions on this... but something like 40/40/20 may be better. i'm going to work on that. i just don't want to cut out my veggies.

i hope you ladies are doing well even if you are very busy right now. keep it up. i'm finding exercising is such a stress reliever. i have to admit though i don't have a lot of stress, it still leaves me with a good tired and happy feeling. i hope it makes you guys feel good too.

thanks for web link sarah i'll be sure to check it out.

take care and hope you post soon cause i want to know how your week was

gen
Old 06-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #37  

Wink

hey ladies

sorry not to have posted in 2 days. crazy am I.

The scale has not budged up or down - so I can't complain about gaining. I am scratching my head though The puppy and I have been taking very long walks - more for stress relief but Fenway doesn't care why as long as he gets to come along. So I have been doing exercise just not always incredibly intense.

I gave a presentation yesterday...I was a key note speaker for strategic planning for a local board and I am doing it again tomorrow. Last night went well - just keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow

Sarah thanks for the link. It is very much appreciated - I will definitely read more into that. I hope you have a calm in all the craziness...sending you back a virtual hug and goodvibes :

Gen - a running class? you are a braver soul than I am. It must of felt so good to finish something so tough Way to go! Yoga should help out with the tense muscles and won't hurt your joints!

You two are inspiring me to re-examine my eating habits. I want to do this right so I can be healthy and when I have kids I can be an example of what to do not a negative influence. You ladies rock my world! Merci Mille Fois!

Quote:
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
Sir Winston Churchill

be well.

Summer
Old 06-11-2004, 10:07 PM   #38  
I climb mountains!

Default Hello -- Hello -- Hello -- Hello

Hey there, you two! It seems like it's been weeks! Before I forget, Summer, I just love your quotes! I really look forward to them, and they're always just the right message at just the right time....so motivating, so affecting, so profound. Thank you for taking the time to change them -- it's a real gift to us!

I'm so happy that this week is over. I live and work in Maryland, and have so far gone to recruit at schools in Pennsylvania, Virginia, DC, and Maryland. None of them was so earth-shatteringly far, but each of them was at least an hour and a half drive each way....and each session was a grueling 8-12 back-to-back interviews. I'm just about to stop complaining....hold on....the clincher this week has been that Lorraine's ex's daughter, whom she raised (so her daughter, and I guess my stepdaughter, although we don't really look at it like that...I suppose I'd be more like a cool aunt or something,) has been staying with us with *insert drum roll here* her first serious boy. Yup, bringing him home to daddy, as it were......very big deal. It all went well, but it definitely put a HUGE kabosh on the ole exercise routine! I shouldn't have let it sidetrack me, but I seriously don't know how it could have been avoided. I was up early, early -- and then at night we kept going out! I ate pretty uch on plan (no small feat) but fell off the exercise wagon BIGTIME! Here's my report, sad as it is:

Monday: 40 minutes cardio
Tuesday: Off (Went to an Orioles baseball game and had a great time)
Wednesday: Nothing (Guests came)
Thursday: 40 minutes leisurely walking (does talking help the cardio?? )
Friday: Nothing (Company left tonight)

I'm just putting this week behind me. AND, to top it off, I'm period-girl now, so I'm a big, moody, gastronasty slug. It will be sheer will that gets me moving tomorrow...we have a "relax and simply be" day planned for Sunday , but tomorrow we are going to paint our home's office and also do some gardening, and I am going to jump (or crawl) back in the saddle beginning tomorrow.

That said, here's the plan for this weekend:
Saturday: 20 minutes moderate cardio first thing in the morning; full body weights workout in afternoon followed by 15 minutes moderate cardio for cool down.
Sunday: 20 minutes HIIT cardio first thing in the morning; 40 minutes LSD (long, slow distance) cardio in afternoon.

I'm so proud of both of you -- you're both doing just great!

Gen, your running course sounds great...and I'll bet you DO look funny to the casual observer! It's so great you do that. You know that face you make when you're thinking, "Whoa, that's impressive!" and you pull the sides of your mouth down? That's what I'm doing at you right now. I do agree about your macronutrient percentages: that 40/40/20 is a good guideline, although some recommend upping the lean protein just a tad. That's what I've now implemented - for the most part - and I believe that coupled with daily exercise you can see some accelerated fat loss. Sounds like a plan to me!

Summer, you sweetheart, you have just got so much on your plate right now that I am truly in awe of your positive energy and beautiful spirit. You're wonderful!!! As far as that scale is concerned, don't you pay it any mind, just stay on track and keep doing what you're doing, and you'll see a drop soon, I'm sure of it. Just do as much as you can without pushing yourself too much, and concentrate on taking good care of yourself during this stressful time. If you feel up to it, you might add a long sweaty cathartic cardio session or two, just to release some endorphins and give yourself a little emotional tiramisu, as it were! (You might already know this, but "tiramisu'" in Italian means "pull me up" literally or "pick me up" figuratively.....tirare: the verb "to pull"; mi: me; su': up.) Just a thought; it might meet a couple of your needs at once: stress relief, fat loss trigger, and mood enhancement! Yee ha!

There's a wonderful, warm, active, positive woman here that I was thinking of inviting to join us.....is there room for a fourth? Or are we three peas in a pod? I love us! I feel so very lucky to have found you two; I think you're both so special and so terrific, I can't believe that I found two such cool friends at one time! Thank you, Gen for finding us and making this possible! from the bottom of my heart, girlfriend!

Big hugs to you both. (Hey on that note, Christina -- Lorraine's daughter -- said that I feel so much smaller in her arms now when she hugs me. That made my month! )
Old 06-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #39  
I climb mountains!

Talking Great Workout!!

I worked out really hard, and I feel really good but c.o.m.p.l.e.t.e.l.y. exhausted! I'm all rubbery and weak, and my legs keep buckling....yay! I had my protein before and after, along with some simple carbs with my protein isolate afterwards, and I'm feeling very pleased with myself, all in all. It feels good to be good, doesn't it? My eats were on plan also; I ended up with 1182 calories, 40p/36c/24f. I also ordered some great supplements and an awesome new multivitamin also, so I'm feeling pretty great about the whole shabang, really.

I'm on my way from to

How's it going with you guys?
Old 06-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #40  
Mel

Wow! Sarah, you're doing great despite having company But your calories look really low to me for the amount of activity you are doing and your current weight. I know you want to lose weight really quickly, but if you don't eat enough, you are going to be burning your own muscles for fuel. You need to keep that muscle to continue to burn calories! I'd suggest upping your intake of good unprocessed food to at least 1600-1800 calories and I think you'll lose just as fast. If you don't eat enough, you can also end up slowing down your metabolism because your body just doesn't expect to get fed.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #41  
I climb mountains!

Smile Woo Hoo! A visitor!

Mel, I got so excited to see your name here in our thread! I totally hear what you're saying, and I thank you VERY much for taking the time to give me counsel. I uninentionally had an especially low-cal day yesterday (slept in, so I missed 2 morning meals when I started eating at lunch.) Normally, I keep it at more like 1500-1600 (my ytd average since Mar 1 when I started is 1550) -- but I think your advice is still right on the money, since my loss has definitely slowed down a lot, and I'm POSITIVE that I'm not underestimating my intake.

I think maybe I'll make a concerted effort to raise it to more like 1700-1800, and see if I can get out of this rut while protecting my poor achin' muscle cells!

Thank you again for chiming in -- you're great, Mel, and I really appreciate it!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #42  
Mel

Sarah- I'll get off my then. Sounds like you are right on track. Keep your body guessing, try varying your calories throughout the week.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #43  

Wink Morning, Afternoon, Night

Hey there my friends!

It has felt like a long weekend this week and that is so nice for a change. My presentations went well and after the one on Saturday, it was such a wonderful day and we were on the water and it couldn't be more perfect. I went to a huge art festival today and walked around - albeit slowly for 2 hours with my 2 brothers (16 and 18) and DH so I had a nice time.

With all my craziness I fit in exactly 270 minutes last week. So my goal this week is to do at least 300 minutes. With two higher intensity workouts in there. I am also starting to wear a pedometer so I can be more aware of myself during the day and am going to read the info Sarah gave us about HIIT and look into some food tracking software. I just want to relearn healthy behaviors because my brain is filled with sooo much information that I need to find what's right for me. So those are my goals for this week (oh and wear more suncsreen).

Sarah it sounds like you had such a nice weekend with Lorraine's daughter and boyfriend. Don't you love compliments like those...I could live of one for a week. That is a wonderful affirmation on all the hard work you are doing. and that sounds like one **** of a workout too! for you! Keep it up! Didn't you find it helped you with a crazy work schedule? Are you near Baltimore? I Love Baltimore - I sometimes have to travel there for my jobby job but I always enjoy the city.

Gen how are you feeling? Are your muscles not as sore? How is the quitting smoking going? I know it's hard - I still struggle with it! How do you like yoga? Oh, I know so many questions...but so curious I have to agree with you not only is exercise such a stress reliever but I sleep much better.

As for a fourth...I am open to the suggestion but I just do not want to get to be too much bigger because then it is hard to respond as well to each and every person - which - when you are trying to be supportive is so important.

Well my lovies - I must dash but I hope you have a good night and great monday.

Quote:
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Make your own recovery the first priority in your life. - Robin Norwood

be well.

Summer
Old 06-13-2004, 11:14 PM   #44  

Default shame oooh the shame

it sounds like you two had a great weekend. full of fun and exercise i on the on the other hand did nothing aaaaall weekeend :
i had good intentions but you know where good intentions lead to
oh well tomorrow is the beginning of another week and i have a schedule. my sister is back so we're going to the gym tomorrow.

i didn't go to yoga this week because my sis-in-law cancelled and my sister wanted me to help her with her dinner party so i went to help her. and then i had ....ooooh : chips and stuff.

my schedule for this week:
mon: weights mid body
cardio 20-30 min
tues:weights lower bady
cardio 20-30 min
wed : weights arms
cardio 20-30min
thur: can't go to running because it's our end of year show and bbq
fri: yoga aaargh aaargh have a bday to go to, my sister's step daughter, from 4-7 and yoga is from 5:30-6:30
sat: off
sun: run 20mins

sounds pretty ambitious
i also bought some protein drink thing smoothie stuff to increase my protein intake (not like nutrisystem or anything like that full of sugar). and it's chocolate! chocolate protein does life get any better than that!?!

i'm glad your presentation went well summer. sounds like a nice location. there is something about being near water that is always so nice and soothing. i use the fitday web-site to keep track of my food and i think sarah uses uses a programme that is even better. i find it helps a lot. the quiting smoking is not going well at all. i don't think i'm quite ready yet. every time i think about it i end up smoking more. where do you get all those quotations, they're great! i love mark twain he's so smart and funny. keep them coming . and let us know how the pedometre works out. i think it's getting pretty popular now and am wondering how useful it is. maybe it's an excuse to go to because i hear they hand them out with their salad meals. although i'm not sure if we have them here yet or not? i haven't been in a long long time. and since i saw "super size me" i don't know when i ever will go back. it was so so so gross. :
that movie will put you off junk food for good!!! have you seen it?

sarah sounds like you had a great time. it's sooo great to spend with family. it's good for you even if you don't get to exercise for a few days. it sounds like the crossbow is really going great i have a feeling it's really going to help a lot.
it was nice of mel to post here to give advice you know she's the first person to do so. as for letting another person join i agree with summer that we have a great group here and do not want to get too big but i would not want to exclude someone who could use the support we give each other because it's so very wonderful and helpful . if she's supportive and needs support then i think that would be great.
i have two sisters and two brothers and one of my sister's name is sarah also. she's spending the summer in winnipeg working but she's coming home for the party this weekend so it will be great to see her.

i hope you guys have a great week! i'll be busy painting a yellow submarine this week...oh boy i need a new job

gen

Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #45  

Hello everybody,
I also need someone to kick me in the butt.I'm quite lazy,don't like to exercise-it hurts,
but I LOVE to eat.Pastry,muffins,ice cream,pie.I know that I should change my habits especially now that I'm trying to lose weight.
I'm 5"3 150 pounds.Horrible,uhm....
unleashed_28 is offline   Reply With Quote