Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2004, 11:51 PM   #91  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hello Gen and Summer! Sorry for the slowdown in posts by me -- here's the latest. TOM has completely kicked my -- it definitely seems to be getting rougher as I get older. I let major cramps dissuade me from exercising Mon-Wednesday. I did cardio the Saturday and Sunday before, and today as well. (Each time for at least 30 minutes -- 45 today.)

I'm off tomorrow, so the plan is to do cardio for 40 minutes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Summer, I'm really sorry to hear about the two funerals. And thanks for the support for Lorraine - you're such a sweetheart. She was a DM for corporate Pizza Hut, and she's going to Hollywood Video for a DM position as well. It seems like a very professional organization, and she's been pretty impressed with each of the people she's met during the process. It's scary for her though, after 16 years at Pizza Hut. It's a good move though, very positive, and surely it will encourage further growth, learning and personal development. I'm so excited for her! (And she's going from the ghetto to Quaker country, so I think her spirits will be better also...no small thing.)

Gen, on the 2 pounds! You just keep on going, you losing machine! Great job! And your progress in running is just great! I'm really, really sorry to hear about your Diet Power woes. It's so crazy! I haven't ever had a single problem, and with you it's been a real struggle......it seems your computer just does NOT like it. What have their techies said? Have you posted on their message board? (Sometimes the other users have some good information, in addition to the owner and DP employees.) I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.....I really hope it works out for you because it's such a helpful tool.

Summer, to you, too, on your loss of a pound! I'm sure you've gained more muscle as well, with all the exercise you've been doing.....you rock, girlfriend!

This weekend I might meet a woman from the 100 lb. forum (the one I'd mentioned inviting to join our group a while back) -- she lives a couple of hours from me, so we're talking about meeting in the middle either this weekend or next. I'm pretty excited about it.......she, like both of you, is intelligent, positive, motivated, and sassy! (She's lost 63 pounds since March, so she's REALLY big in the motivation department!) I'm down from a size 26 to a 20 now, and she's got some size 20 suits that are now way too big for her, and they would help me out, so she's giving them to me. Isn't that sweet? The LAST thing I'm going to do is invest a lot of money in clothing which will shortly become too large for me...and yet I need suits for work. I'm lucky to have some size 20 clothes that are work-appropriate from several years ago when I was on the way up, size-wise....but some additional stuff will really help. And I am really excited to meet her! Pretty cool, huh?

Talk to you guys soon!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #92  

Wink Mornin'

Morning Ladies

I am so tired this morning. Michael and I had a late one last night with a little drinking, a birthday dinner, a little drinking, out to see more friends and a little drinking...my fault I know. 3 am does get you much - that's for sure. My class reunion was yesterday and I did NOT go! I am so happy with that decision.

Now it is my turn to apologize - THis week sucked in regards to exercise and the like. My heart was not in it at all and motivation was not there. I did 200 minutes but even still it was a struggle to do that. So How do you stay motivated and actually look forward to exercise? My @ss is dragging lately. I want to fight so I don't hit a major slump physically or mentally.

You two are doing wonderfully!

Gen way to conquer that running class keep it up! It's amazing that you are doing something you didn't know you could! How is your family? yoga? cats?

Sarah are you meeting that women from the 100lb board? That is so cool to have that chance! Keep up with the HIIT and cardio - it usually should help the TOM. Good luck to Lorraine! I hope she the new position.

I am off to take my dog to the beach - he has never been. Could be interesting....

Quote:
Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle. -Ken Hakuta

be well.

Summer
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #93  

Default good afternoon

good afternoon,

cheers to you summer, i indulged in the fun stuff last too. usually i don't go for fruity drinks but i figured the strawbeeries in the daquiries redeemed me a little ( and the rum helped me to forget that i really shouldn't be drinking the rum ) i went over to my friends' house and we had a good time. oh and the dancing in the living room was my cardio for the day since that's what i did and got home after four i did not go to yoga this morning and i couldn't go last night because i was working ill 5:30.
i'm glad you had fun time instead of going to the reunion.

when i don't feel like exercising i lie on my bed and say " who do i want to be? the kind of person who exercises when the going gets rough or the kind of person who doesn't? then i sit up and put on my shoes and exercise clothes without thinking and walk out the door. sometimes i rationalize that i really shouldn't exercise today because i'm sore. and then i don't. sometimes i say "i'm building a better butter burner". that's from covert bailey's fit or fat book.
the weather here has been so muggy and oppressive that i feel tired and depleted just from being up and around. i know last week a lot of people have told me they feel the same way. so early in the morning or in the evening when things have cooled off a bit feels better. i was so tired tuesday and wednesday and thursday i didn't really feel like going to my running clinic. i forced myself to go and took a taxi to get there becasue if i had to walk or take the bus i wouldn't have made it. in the end the expense was worth it because the running went well and i felt more energized afterward. i like the (seeming) paradox that expending energy gives me back more.
soooooo....i guess (and i hate to quote the nike slogan ) just do it and decide afterward if it was a good idea.

my cat is doing ok. he's now on kidney food and i have to give him enemas every 3 days. and that's all i'm going to say about that!

my cape cod vacation is on again off again. right now it's off again. i was going to get a free vacation by going with my friend and her husband and toddler to help her out since she's pregnant and her child is a handful. oh well the saga continues.

fenway looks like the kind of dog that will love the beach! should be fun. watch out for the big shake when he get wet.

sarah i have to ask... i thought and thought and just can't figure it out. i know what you mean about ....OH duh . i just got it. i couldn't figure out what TOM stood for. better go back to bed.
i hope you and lorraine are having a good weekend and she's liking her new job.

gotta go clean the apt. seems the tornadoes only hit # 24 and spare the rest of the city. strange

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:41 PM   #94  

Wink Evenin'!

Okay -

I got my @ss out of bed before 7:15 this morning and did interval training then walked the dog. I felt much better after doing it as I always do but sometimes my mind is funny and will says "You feel just as fine if you don't"

Gen you're right - What kind of person do I want to be? Of course I am not sure the book you reference but I think I need to reprogram my brain - too much bad information in it in regards to both food and exercise. Day by is how I need to take it. So tomorrow I plan to do Yoga Booty Ballet (a mix of dance, yoga and weights) and walk the dog if it doesn't rain. Wet Dog is not a fragrance I want to bottle any time soon.

Sarah??? Where are you Sarah???? I hope you are well and still loving that cross bow!

Have a good night. bon nuit mes amis!

Quote:
The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue happiness you'll never find it.
C. P. Snow

Summer
Old 07-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #95  

Default blue monday

hi girls,

well i haven't been the kind of ship shape person i want to be lately. last week i ended up only exercising 3 days. i didn't go for my sunday jog because it rained. some people do jog in the rain. one day. but i did spend a nice day out of town.
and today i was just too tired. why am i so tired lately? and i think i've gained some weight back so this week i'm going tobe extra vigilant (except for the two peices of bread with margarine i had after lunch today) is this all falling apart??? i have to think that it is just a little blip and to refocus. life is full of little bips and some really big ones. eye on the prize. ok.
i'm averaging about 1800cals for the past week and 1700 cals for the month. i should be down to 1200. dietpower wants me down to 1100 to lose 2lbs a week but i think that's a little low.
good going on getting up in the morning summer!! so how did fenway enjoy the beach? did you get to experience the wet dog aroma? it really isn't very pleasant but they seem to love it.

sarah i love your posts in the other forums. really interesting and informative. good sharing

so have a good tuesday ladies
gen
Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #96  

Smile

Wanted to pop in real quick and say hi!

I hope you both are well! I am at 155 minutes of exercise this week so far! Much better when I journal.

Fenway the beach! Seaweed and all. He loved chasing the seagulls most. Definitely needed to hose him down - stinky!!!

Either of you know anything about the Body for life program?

Gen keep your chin up! remember you are doing this for you and no one else!

Sarah where are you?

I have to go - dinner appt.

be well.

Quote:
Opportunities multiply as they are seized - Sun-Tzu

Summer
Old 07-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #97  
I climb mountains!

Hellooooooo!! I'm really, really sorry that I have been neglecting you guys and our little thread these days. I have been spending most of my free time over at 100 lb. when I'm online, and I really have been a sorry participant here with you. I just keep getting caught up over there, and then when I think about what I'm going to post to you guys, I get overwhelmed, since I haven't given you a proper update in so long! I'm really sorry. I think the world of you both, and soooo enjoy you two....I feel guilty when I post these quicky posts, but that's usually all I have time for. And then since I haven't posted here in a while, I've fallen behind.....and then it's all overwhelming. What a sad sack I am.

Here's a mini update: I've fallen off using the Crossbow lately -- I intend to start it up when I've lost 2 more pounds...sounds insane, but I keep thinking that if I concentrate on cardio rather than building muscle, I'll get to this second goal quicker! I know long-term, the muscle is what I need......and it's absolutely what I WANT.....but I am sooooo sick of this second goal that I just want to get there and move on to the next one. Then it's back to the weight training for me. I have been doing cardio 3 times a week. It should be more, but our whole schedule has been turned upside down with Lorraine's new job -- her hours are all over the place, and now mine are also -- also, poor Louie is used to her being home so much more (she worked from home a great deal, and now is gone much more, and with varying hours.) So I'm trying to help him through the transition with extra walks and playing etc.

I promise I'll post more later tonight -- I'm on my lunch now, and will make sure not only to report more from home, but to respond to your posts as well. I think the world of you guys, and really enjoy you so much.....and I'm sorry if I've let you down or not been as good a friend and support as I could have been. Just know that I'm on track, still around (as you saw, Gen ) and I really do care about you guys.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #98  

Default hello

hey sarah,
no problem, we missed you and i wanted to know how things were going. i thought you'd be busy with lorraine starting a new job you and who knows what else life offers. i actually enjoy reading your posts in the other forums because they are interesting and informative . you sure are doing your homework.
i don't have a busy life. and in the summer i go to work late and anyways i never work late or have to bring work home (i don't think the parents would appreciate my bringing their kids home with me, hehe or maybe some would). there was article in the paper the other day about daycares here and funding problems (the government subsidizes daycare and the parents only have to pay 7$ a day) and one worker said despite the problems she loves her job because "at what other job do the clients give you kisses" well i thought yeah us and prostitutes hehehe. hugs, kisses and "i love yous" and it's still not my dream job.
don't worry about the crossbow. it's good to mix up your routine once in a while. and since you have a plan it will all work out. and you are soooo close to your next goal.
of course i've taken it to the extreme this week by not exercising at all. not even biking to work. i've got alot of rationalizations for not doing it but i think since my sister went camping i just lost my way. next week will be better, i promise. oops what have i done?? now i have to don't i?
this week i'm really watching my food because i've gained some weight back. boy it sure came back fast!!! and i didn't pig out but i guess i have to be more careful.
so much for my motivation tips eh summer?
there was a great quote in another forum the other day it something like " the will to win is not as important as the will to train" that is the crux isn't it?

take care
gen
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #99  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Genevieve, you are a real sweetheart! Thanks for so kindly letting me off easy, and for the nice feedback on my posts elsewhere! I find it motivating to find and share information; I think it reinforces my focus and sense of purpose. I have a much longer journey than either of you, and I'm doing everything I can to set myself up for success! (Also, I'm a nerd. )

This is going to be ANOTHER quick one, but I wanted to return tonight, to catch up a little bit with you guys!

Gen, why do you think it is that you've fallen off on the exercise of late? Are you bored with it? Or do you prefer to do stuff that involves companionship? I must say that I'm so completely impressed with your progress with your running....that is such an achievement! This might sound wierd and I hope you take it the right way because you're so close to being a thin girl yourself, but there are so many 120-pound people who couldn't run from their office cube to their cars -- and here you are literally running circles around them at one-sixty-something! You go, running girl! Don't worry about any piddly weight gain -- I'm sure it's just water. Think about the whole 3500 calories = 1 pound thing, and then come to your senses, you silly goose. I am just so proud of how much weight you've lost in a short period of time...and how far you've come with your running. You've already shown yourself that you're capable of great discipline and enormous motivation. I think you're doing great, Gen, I really do....you're simply a human, with all the accompanying frailties and quirks. Part of the package. No biggie -- just yank back those habits and either jump right back into the old routine you liked, or invent a new one and give it all you've got!

I have to sign off for a wee bit -- Lorraine needs to set up her new laptop (from the new company) and she needs to go online. I'll be back to talk to you, Summergirl -- hey, isn't this your season? -- in a small while.

(((((((((((((You guys)))))))))))))

Old 07-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #100  

Default ((sarah))

no you're a real sweatheart. you really are.
thanks for the encouragement on the running. boy i needed that! 'cause i didn't go today. i know i'll get back on track, and on the track.
i know one of my problems is the actual going, once i'm there i actually (don't tell my sister this) prefer to work out by myself. i just get into my own head and do my thing. there's not as much laughing mind you and i like that too. and she knows some good stuff. i used to enjoy playing softball (it was slow pitch) but i'm not competitive with others so i'm not into team stuff. i enjoy, rather, my own private sense of accomplishment. i do enjoy running with others though.
sooooo...you may be right about the water, i too thought what?!?!?!! i didn't eat 10500 extra calories. and i did lose 1.5lbs in 3 days and that wouldn't make sense either. imagine my surprise and PROFOUND disappointment when i saw the scale on monday!!! (notice i didn't post my weight for this week )

thanks again for your kind, uplifting, compassionate ...... words

still one with the universe: gen
Old 07-24-2004, 02:09 AM   #101  

Hey can I join
I have been doing 20-30 minutes of a cardio mix atleast 5 days a week.
I have been on a exercise/diet plan and has lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #102  
I climb mountains!

Smile Hello, dahlings!

Hello, new person -- great job on the exercise! What's your name?

Gen and Summer, sorry I didn't come right back; Lorraine's sister's got some kind of lung thing that went away and has recently come back -- she's had MS her whole life, so adding this to it is kind of scary) and they just found a lump on the sister's husband's prostate.....so concern over and phone discussion of these events have really been the big, current focuses in our house. Also there's drama over her departure from her new job (and their manipulations to try to make her stay,) but I'm not EVEN going to take you guys down that road!

Genevieve, mon cherie, VERY glad to hear the update re. the oneness with the universe! You are such a cutie! It sounds like maybe a compromise on the exercise front would be a few sessions with the sis (or others) balanced with a few sessions solo, sans others. What do you think? I can't wait to hear the next update from you! Hey by the way, you really made me laugh with your response to the OT/Job-related thread at 100 lb....pretty funny! I'd vote for you!

Now, Summer, you crazy kid! -- Body for Life. I know something about it; I did a bit of research about it and spent some time on their website, joined a coupla BFL message boards and lurked, and then also read the book. The LWL forum here at 3FC started out as a BFL thread, also, and there's still some basic information about the program there. (A couple of the veterans there did a couple of challenges as well.) How much do you know already? It's said to be a good starter program if you are new to weight training and that way of eating, and need the structure and simplicity of their program. It's been SUPER effective for a good many people. I took some of the principles of that program and applied them to my program.....although I sure haven't nailed down the entire exercise portion, that's for sure! BFL dictates 6 meals/day, 40/40/20 split - limited to no sugar and foods from a specific food list, gobs of water, and exercise 6 days/week: 3 days 20 minutes HIIT cardio, and 3 days weight training (no cardio on weight days) and then one day of rest and free eats. Those are the basics. (Sorry if you knew all that!) There was a link between BFL and EAS products, because Bill Phillips used to head up that company. He doesn't any longer, but he still promotes use of a lot of their products, like Myoplex, Precision Protein, and BetaLean. There's an awful lot of really good information to be learned at their website.

Things are still pretty hectic for me at work right now; I'm buried in preparations for an Affirmative Action audit, and I've got 6 open professional positions that are tough to fill. On the upside, I've been able to do a lot of my out-of-state work by remote, and that's been a timesaver. I'm going to meet that woman from 100 lb (Gretchen, Gen, in case you've seen her posts) next weekend. We're both very psyched about it, as we really share a common sensibility and attitude about the weight loss process, and just generally click. (She's also in HR, which is cool!) She's amazingly disciplined, having lost 63 pounds so far since March, down from 225. Her husband lost 70 pounds in less time!) I'd say you 3 are my very favorite people here....I really admire each of you, and just really enjoy your tres cool company.

I'm trying to motivate myself to go to the doctor today. Ugh. I hate going, after so many years of dealing with it in my youth and into my 20's. I'm just sick of the medical world, you know? Anyhoo, I really should go, and Lorraine's been begging me to go.....she thinks I have walking pneumonia, and also wants me to get my little pet lump checked out. (It's a dear friend now - I have great chats with it!) Let's have a moment of silence for discipline in this....and all things.

Ok. First things first, though. I've got a little Louie who is in sore need of some one-on-one attention. (Wish I could borrow Fenway -- they'd have a blast!) And THEN I'll go. No really, Lorraine even wrote me a note about it this morning before she left, so really, I will.

Sending you both love and hugs....
Old 07-24-2004, 01:18 PM   #103  
I climb mountains!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that pesky little detail called "exercise." Sheesh! Yesterday: nada. II had great intentions to bike when I came home, but I opened my home's door to enormous drama, and it continued until I got into the bed at 11:00.) Today: biked for 30 minutes.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:39 AM   #104  

Hey my name is Candra

I played volley ball for about 10 minutes and wallked in the park for about 20-25 minutes
Old 07-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #105  

Default hi candra

hi candra,
welcome to our little group of fantastic ladies.
here's what we do:
at the beginning of the week we post our exercise goals for the week, what we plan to do and on which days.
then we stick our plan, always!!
after that it's all love and roses, tips and suggestions, support and if needed a boot in the butt (i wouldn't usually say something like butt but i don't want to offend )
and since we are women we also talk about anything else that's going on.
for example:
friday night my ^@$# cat brought a home and it's been living in my kitchen behind the stove (so i've been a little jumpy for last couple of days)until she caught it this morning. i must of sensed something in my sleep (i knew she was stalking it when i went to bed) because i woke up and just from her position i KNEW she had brought onto the bed . so i yelled at her, and she understood that right away and ran off with it. i didn't sleep well after that because i could hear them in the kitchen, the rummaging and the squealing. (i live in an apt. and kitchen is about 2 steps from the bedroom) ugh i just wanted it over with. finally she got it and i shooed them out onto the balcony. poor little mousy, i thought it was dead but it was just pretending. then i went back to bed. when i woke up they were both gone.
i live in a city for chrissakes, could we be a little more civilized and stick to the packaged cat food!???!!!!
yesterday i rented some videos and totally pigged out (shrimp chips and chocolate bars). i can't believe i used to eat like that all the time. i felt so sick afterwards. 3757cals for the whole day!!! no wonder i gained weight oh boy. don't worry folks i wont be doing that again for a very long time (has been months since i did before) i physically feel awful, i must try to remember this feeling. and i'm starting to feel like i did when i was depressed.
sooooo...with a sample of one i concluded that chips, chocolate and no exercise for a week makes you feel crappy, and a good wholesome balanced diet with exercise makes you feel happy. go figure.
my sister got home last night so i will check in with her and make an exercise plan for the week. will post later.

sarah, sounds pretty hectic and not too fun. bad news in the health department is always so upsetting. i really hope lorraine's sister and her husband get better, it's sure isn't easy. and lorraine doesn't need the stress of her ex-employers bothering her. she's lucky to have you around.
summer, i don't know anything about body for life, so i will defer to our resident research specialist. weight training is good though, i highly recomend it.

hope you all had a free weekend

gen