Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #106  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
MBN - How are they supposed to help?
Theoretically the compression helps with return blood flow and also helps to minimize the muscle "rebound" that occurs during high impact exercise. I haven't tried them personally, but I have friends (and DH) that really likes them. Here's an unbiased review: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/06/08/f...nts-effective/ that gives a little more informaiton.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Have you all always enjoyed running? I started C25K (W3 coming up). Is it something you enjoyed from the first day or did you grow to love it?
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #108  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Did a 3mile and ran at 8-9min/mile tempo interval. It felt so great though I could not sustain the speed for longer than 2minutes each time, it felt like I was running instead of jogging. I also notice a definate change in my stride even though I wore my nikes instead of barefoot. That one-time barefoot and then walking around on thin soled shoes the whole week and paying extra attention to how I walk gave me more of a 'feel' for how to use my feet.

I also didn't put on music, so I could really focus on my body. Now if only I could do the breathing thing more easily without thought... haha.

Last edited by philana; 04-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #109  
say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by free1 View Post
Have you all always enjoyed running? I started C25K (W3 coming up). Is it something you enjoyed from the first day or did you grow to love it?
Heck no! I've tried running a few times before but I just hated it because I could not even reach the end of my street. I did not see how people could ever run longer than 20minutes and enjoy it! Then I started c25k and saw improvements and was excited, but got bored with it after 5 weeks so I wen't outo n my own. Now I can do 4-6miles easy and I love it. A run shorter than 3miles does not appeal much to me anymore though.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #110  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
True story: I never thought I could "run". An incentive program at my company's gym got me on the treadmill and I managed a VERY slow 3 mile jog after a week or so of trying. My running sister then put the bug in my ear to train for a half marathon with her. I wanted to try out this running event thing, so signed up for a 5 mile (5 MILE, not 5K!) race 3 weeks later. Yes, I went out and sort of ran a 5 mile race event when I had been running for all of 3 to 4 weeks!

It was really crazy. I took off too fast and was walking inside of 5 minutes. I had absolutely no concept of pacing, hadn't even gone more than 4 miles at one time. Still, I managed to walk/run my way to a sub-hour finish -- as I approached the finish line, I heard the announcer wrapping things up "And thanks everyone for coming out today ...."

BUT -- crossing that finish line was a revelation. People were cheering - for ME. For a total non-athlete, a 40-something gal who had never done anything like this before. I was tired (and later, sore!) but I wanted that feeling again. I signed up for that half marathon, successfully completed it with my sister, and the rest is history: 24 half marathons, 5 full marathons, 2 50K ultramarations and who-knows-how-many shorter races later.

I don't just run, I train. I always have some goal in mind. I do enjoy the run, most of the time! But it took a while to get there. Even now sometimes it's a slog, most of the time it is fun (hard but enjoyable), and occasionally it is joyfully magical. And it is those moments that keep me going.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #111  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
I didn't think I could ever run, ever, until 2010 (I'm 25). It was miserable when I started out then - I would be shaking and out of breath for hours afterward!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #112  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
I absolutely dreaded it at first. I had heard running was a good way to drop weight, so I thought i'd give it a try. I started the third week of November with the C25k program, and managed to keep at it until the 14/15 of December. I hated each and every time I stepped foot onto that treadmill...I gave up for a few weeks.

When January came around, I wanted to give it a go again, but this time with no training plan. I just wanted to run. I had trouble completing the first 5 minutes...but slowly worked my way up to a mile. When I hit that mile run without stopping, something changed. I felt so accomplished and wanted to try and beat that. Keeping in competition with myself totally changed how I saw running. And now I love it, and run 6 days a week. I can do a 6 mile run at a 10 minute pace now. Also training for a 1/2 marathon and crossing fingers I'll be able to complete one before summer is over

Last edited by baker23; 04-12-2012 at 05:13 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post

CherryPie - GOOD LUCK with the surgery! Everything is going to go great, and you are going to be SO happy you took this step. Come and vent when you're frustrated during recovery, and we'll help get you through it. You'll be back to the gym and back to your usual routines in no time, and 6 months from now you'll look back on these next few weeks as just a blip in time.
Thanks so much! I really hope the results are going to be worth it and I hope that they are. I ran 5 miles on my lunch hour today and was trying to envision what I will feel like running without this huge blob of skin bouncing up and down with me every step I take!

Last edited by CherryPie99; 04-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I had a dream a couple months ago that I was running. Running to the point of feeling like I was flying. When I woke up I felt so exhilarated, which never happens. (sleep apnea, lucky to feel awake most mornings even with CPAP)
I want that feeling back! I would get like that occasionally when I used an elliptical, but just feel the need to run since that dream.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3272004 View Post
I had a dream a couple months ago that I was running. Running to the point of feeling like I was flying. When I woke up I felt so exhilarated, which never happens. (sleep apnea, lucky to feel awake most mornings even with CPAP)
I want that feeling back! I would get like that occasionally when I used an elliptical, but just feel the need to run since that dream.
ohh you should do it!! I admire the way children run just for the pure exhiliration of it. I am more of a distance runner but it does sometimes feel good to bust out in a sprint!!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi there, just been reading through everyones posts.

ChicK: Good luck with the IVF, I shall be thinking of you.

And mkroyer, congats of the bike, its great to read how excited about it you are. I'm looking forward to hearing about your epic bike rides.

Free1. No i have NOT always enjoyed running. I have no idea why i like it so much now either! But i do!

Today was a rest day for me, and I am running both days at the weekend, then not on Monday as we are going away on holiday .....but I am taking my running kit with me on holiday of course!

Hi to everyone else, I have read all your posts even if i have not managed to reply

Auto
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #117  
say what?

Oh gosh, I am gonna pay for my over enthousiasm soooo dearly! I started barefoot running as you might have read. And I did my second barefoot (no shoes at all) run today. I was going in such a nice pace and not getting tired that instead of my planned 2mile run I went for a 3mile/5k run. I have never been able to do 5k under 32minutes. I just did it in 29.20 minutes without feeling any pain in my shins or calves!!!

Only - my soles are so not ready for this yet, so I have two big big blisters on the bottom of my big toes now. I am gonna regret this for the next few days to come. But still. AWESOME to finally run it in under 30 minutes.

Last edited by philana; 04-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #118  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Be careful what you wish for lol! This thread is going so fantastic this month I can't keep up!

Cherrypie! I'm so excited for your surgery I can't even tell you!!!

Philana - really glad to hear you had no pain, not so glad about those blister, yuck!

Chick - fingers crossed for your IVF, I can't say I had trouble getting pregnant, but it took 6 months and that was hard, I can't imagine what you're going through, I hope this is the month!

Everyone else, I'm reading I promise, you're doing fantastic!

Did I love running at the first step? I honestly don't remember...I know I never hated it, but love it? Love it the way I do now? Heck no! It took time for sure, but once I fell I fell hard! I can't imagine my life now without running...it really is like a friend to me and provides me with so many emotional outlets. I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without it now.

Tempo run today, had a little trouble with it because I was having stomach issues and my injures are still plaguing me. I did rest some this week by cutting a few miles off and plan to cut my LR Sunday and push a run back next week if there's no improvement. In general there has been improvement, but there is still some pain in my hammy that's concerning me. What's concerning me more is that these injuries ate probably becoming chronic and I'm becoming used to running injured. Right now my goal is just the June start/finish line, but then it's time for some serious healing. That may sound stupid to a lot of you...but I have some serious issues, mostly mental when it comes to this stuff.

Anywho, you all are doing fantastic!!!!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #119  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Made it through a pretty crappy run today. I ate about an hour before, guess I will stop doing that. I usually just go on an empty stomach and it has been working fine. I think I need to quit fixing what isn't broken. Seems like I was causing my own calf issues with too much poking and rolling I am over-thinking the whole running thing, just need to relax and go and not worry so much!

@philana - nice job on the run! I hope your blisters aren't too bad!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

wickedlady.....I am trying!!! I have never been a runner, so this is all new to me.

I did get a few sprints in on my walk on Wednesday, figuring about 60 feet within a mile. Weather was bad the last couple days, so worked on jump rope & stretching. I did not get any shin splints this week!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote