Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #76  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Hey everyone! Mkroyer, I'm sorry to hear about your injury!!! Take good care of yourself.

Well, I ran for the first time outside today instead of on the treadmill. On the treadmill I have been running 2 miles in 26:30 at 5.0 speed and 1.0 incline. Wow, what a difference running outside makes!! The time goes by so much faster and I wore my heart rate monitor to track time and all that good stuff...and I actually ran faster outside. I did 2 miles in 21:21, so I shave 5 minutes off my time when I run outside. I think I might start running outside more often!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #77  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Got my Garmin! AWESOME! Everything I ever wanted to know about my fitness and more! So glad to have something new and fun to feed my OCD I've only used it on a short walk so far, can't wait for tomorrow's long run to give it a real go!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #78  

Height: 5'6

Nixed the run this morning because it was way too hot and was too pooped from a week of doing primarily intervals. So, Monday I'll run again. I can't knock the intervals though because the sprinting has helped me a lot with my speed so...it's all good.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

I've had a great running weekend! Saturday I did 60 minutes on the treadmill- 50 were running with only three walk breaks of a minute each. I've learned that I need to pace myself so I don't get burnt out. My long slow run was about 5.0 mph and I did 7.3 kms in an hour (including warm up and cool down walk)

Today I was heading to the gym when I thought that I'd take an outdoor run instead. I did a personal best 5k time of 35:59. Doesn't seem like much but that is huge for me especially since it was outdoors including some small hills. Such a change from the treadmill. My pace was around 7:10/km. I need to improve on that slightly for my 5k in October. I would really like to come in sub-33 for that race. We shall see.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #80  

Also... I'm pondering doing a 5k on Sept 18th in addition to the one on October 16. Talk me into it.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #81  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Wow...I've missed alot.

Mkroyer - Sorry about your injury...I know how frustrating it is to be injured and not be able to run, but a staph infection is no laughin' matter (as I'm sure you already know). Take it easy....the roads will still be here when you return...and you'll prolly have a stronger run after all that rest.

Ncuneo - I WANT THAT GARMIN!!!! Seriously...I want it. I stupidly bought the Polar F11 ($100), and used it for the first 3 weeks and that's it! I need something with GPS on it. Who knew I'd be a real runner though?

Hey to all you new runners and some old ones I missed.

I've not done much in the running department, but I am running for fun and I must say...IT ROCKS!!! Just ran about 3 miles or so on the beach barefeet (seaside) and it was simply the most awesome experience ever. I could have run forever...or at least that's how I felt.

I had no left knee pain today (oddly enough). I think it's because I ran barefeet. Starting to wonder if I need to change sneaker brands. Thinking about the Vibram 5 fingers. Anyone try them? At first I thought they look stupid, but after an amazing barefoot run with no next day pain, I'm reconsidering.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #82  

joyfulloser: I've actually seen the Vibram 5 fingers but thought they looked kind of crazy too but they seem like they'd be super comfortable.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #83  

ncuneo - now that you've used your garmin have you noticed errors in the data that it uploads onto garmin connect? The speed is always wrong when I look at the report online. If my average speed were 5.3 mph it shows up online as something ridiculous like 8.9. The pace, however, is accurate.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Hey all. I just started jogging at the gym a few weeks ago and I just stick to a pace of 5.0 on the treadmill. I have always wanted to run so I'll be slowly building up my speed. I haven't been going by miles but by minutes (I do 30 mins a day) Any tips for a newbie who wants to be able to keep up with her speedy hubby when he comes home? Thanks!
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #85  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

frozen --- this may seem silly and obviou, bt is your garmin upload problem a CONVERSION issue? miles vs kilometers kinda thing?

anyway, that was my first thought
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

3 miles this morning. Can't tell you how peaceful it was to run without the kiddos here, lol. But then hubby called during mile two. Oh, well, maybe the next run will be uninterrupted
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #87  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

JOYFUL-
i have vibram 5 fingers.. i try and run in them once a week... they are NOT something you should run in very FAR or all the time.... they WILL KILL YOUR CALVES... were talking cant move legs for days, EVERYTIME.... lol

i will say this, my vibrams have COMPLETELY changed my running form (for the better) theyve taught me how to stop heel striking and hit with ball of foot, more directly underneath my body, as opposed to foot landing out in front... i run lighter, quicker, more efficiently, and ive had ZERO running overuse related injuries sinece i started running in them occassionally. Everything they force you to do with your running form will translate over, eventually, to regular runnin shoes.. i never heel strike in my regular racers, either, KWIM?
do you have flat feet, or high arches?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #88  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
do you have flat feet, or high arches?
Nope...no flat feet..no high arches. Neanderthol club feet I have. Oh and 15" calves...unga bunga!

I did sprints in the sand for 3 miles and a about a 100 yd race in the sand barefoot and so far, 2 days later...just a tiny wee bit soreness in calves. But surprising no knee pain related to running barefoot.

Actually...like you said...I ran MUCH FASTER...and was lighter on my feet. It felt soooooo right... Do you have the KSO's. That's the one I'm looking at. The Classic one just seems like my feet will fall out during my run. I only run on dirt trails (park), treadmill or barefoot and naked...oh...sorry...not naked, that was in my dream () on the beach, so no hard surfaces.

Thanks.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #89  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

This is just something I heard from Jillian Michaels regarding barefoot running so take it for what it's worth. The big arguement for barefoot running is that cavemen never wore shoes and we shouldn't either, we're not "meant" to wear shoes. That's right we're not HOWEVER, we do and our bodies have adapted to having worn shoes. So take that away and you're bound to cause all sorts of injuries. Cavemen never wore shoes, so they are conditioned not to wear shoes.

Anywho, just food for thought. I've never tried it and don't really know much about it. I wear shoes and have injuries anyways The only thing that has helped my knees is orthodics. And I think the only thing that will help my planter fascitus is LESS running. I'm working on it

No issues with my garmin thus far. I'm pretty pleased with the numbers I'm getting, everything seems to be very accurate.

3 miles for me today. Gonna do 3 tomorrow too because DH is going out of town and I will have to miss ST and Yoga. I've been thinking about replacing my 3-5 Friday run with 8x400s. MK what do you think. What would I gain from this? I'm just trying to mix things up a bit and get things moving on the weight loss front. Although I'm only a week in and just decreased my milage and cals so it's probably too soon to do anything.

Oh yeah and today is my DS's 3rd b-day! I'm having a midlife crisis overhere! Ugh! It's going by so fast!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I run on the treadmill in Vibrams classic. No issue whatsoever with calf pain or any other pain. In fact, I've had problems with my feet and ankles my whole life in regular shoes and wearing minimalist shoes has made the problems completely and I mean COMPLETELY disappear. I also have no issues with them falling off.

For outside, I run in Fila Skeletoes. They are a lot like the Vibrams, but have a little bit of a thicker sole. I can hit gravel, rocks, etc and it doesn't hurt. In the Skeletoes, each toe has it's own pocket except the little 2 which share a pocket. Apparently a lot of people complain that in the Vibrams they catch their baby toe? Never been a problem for me. Even with the thicker sole it still feels like running barefoot. I'm not going to try to convince anyone why minimalist running is so much better for you - you can read the websites and judge for yourself.

Speaking of running - ran on my lunch hour today. I was dreading the run all morning for some reason - wanted to quit after 1/2 mile but made myself continue. By 1.25 miles I was in the groove, and felt really good when I hit 3 miles - and it was my fastest 3 miler yet - 34:30 mins. I know that is really slow for most people, but for me it was great!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote