Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #91  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Well this is my last week running in the old neighborhood. I'm getting nervous about my new running routes. I've already staked out the area and found what appears to be some safe routes. The nice thing is that for my long runs when it's later in the day and don't have to worry about coyotes and people, I'll have some amazingly beautiful routes to run.

I picked up some pepper spray, so hopefully all my loved ones will feel a little more at ease. I have a back up plan if I feel too uncomfortable.

I'm on track this week. 3 miles yesterday and I'm thinking 4+ tomorrow morning. This afternoon is a gym day, but I'm thinking I may through in 15 mins of intervals to start working on my speed. I registered for my second half marathon and I want to improve my time. My original goal was under 2 hrs, but that would require shaving 1:39mins off my original time and I'm not sure how doable that is. I'm also running it with my BIL who is planning on running a 10 min mile pace and I'd like to run it together. But DH says I have to beat him, boy are we competitive.

Anyway, have a great week everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #92  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ncueno- your best bet for improving your time is to work on your lactic acid threshold....not so much with the intervals and speed work.... you need to improve your bodies ability to process lactic acid as opposed to Vo2Max (that doesnt mean you shouldnt do intervals, but that shouldnt be your focus) And when you DO do intervals, you are going to want to focus on LONGER repetitions......800 to 1600 meters (.5 mile to 1 mile repeats) Start with doing 1 mile repeats at goal 1/2 marathon pace (9 min miles) with a 400 to 800 meter recovery in between) these work well when doing mid-distance runs--- the 6 to 9 mile range... if you are interested in learning more about the LA Threshold workouts, i can give you some good workouts Building your threshold will allow you run at faster paces for sustained periods of time....... it is the buildup of the lactic acid that slows us down... the good news is that your half marathon pace should not be near your threshold pace (which is generally going to be closer to your 5k or 10K pace, for a seasoned, focused runner)
my other best piece of advice that is appropriate for you at this point, is to get comfortable being uncomfortable (see tagline)
I think you are prob faster than you give yourself credit for, you are just scared of being uncomfortable..... you lack the confidence

Last edited by mkroyer; 12-14-2010 at 05:13 PM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #93  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

My foot feels better than it did yesterday already. Going to take it relatively easy just to make sure. Barefoot exercise is unaffected so I'll be continuing Tae Bo and body weight resistance stuff. If I feel better by Friday I might run in the school 4k race. I was really looking forward to it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #94  
Closet health nut!

Yes MK, please send those workouts my way! Great info, thank you!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #95  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
My foot feels better than it did yesterday already. Going to take it relatively easy just to make sure. Barefoot exercise is unaffected so I'll be continuing Tae Bo and body weight resistance stuff. If I feel better by Friday I might run in the school 4k race. I was really looking forward to it.
I'm glad it is feeling better and that you might be able to run in the 4K

Tonight I'm determined to run again even though it is SO COLD. It is the coldest day of the year here so far. It is like 10F and probably below zero facturing in the wind chill.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #96  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

15 degrees a tad windy but I went out there and got in an amazing street run. 5.42 miles in just under an hour, forgot my garmin and it felt good to run comfy and not worry about pace! Could of ran another 5 easily!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #97  
Token rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommaplusone View Post
15 degrees a tad windy but I went out there and got in an amazing street run. 5.42 miles in just under an hour, forgot my garmin and it felt good to run comfy and not worry about pace! Could of ran another 5 easily!
That is so awesome!!! I hope to build up my endurance to run like that. I better start doing that soon as I have registered for some longer distance races (a 10k in February and a half marathon in May).
Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #98  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
That is so awesome!!! I hope to build up my endurance to run like that. I better start doing that soon as I have registered for some longer distance races (a 10k in February and a half marathon in May).
Thanks! You TOTALLY can do it too! I started training for a half over the summer through Hal Higdons Novice Half Schedule. I think he has them for 10k's too! Look it up, it's very useful! It's amazing to watch ones own progress!

I am gearing up to start training for my First Full Marathon Training starting January 3rd and the Marathon is in May, hoping to be at Goal Weight at that time, so it will be a double victory for me!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #99  
Token rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommaplusone View Post
I am gearing up to start training for my First Full Marathon Training starting January 3rd and the Marathon is in May, hoping to be at Goal Weight at that time, so it will be a double victory for me!
I'm love to do a marathon in the fall (Oct 2011). I think it would be a natural progression if I'm running a half marathon in May. It will certainly be easier to train over the summer than it is in the winter

Speaking of winter running, is there anybody planning to run tonight in a cold climate? Lets make a bet. I'll get out there and run if you do! It worked last time for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #100  
Closet health nut!

Well Matt I ran 5 miles this morning (5am) does that count. Probably not because I live in So Cal and it was 55, but I'm running again Friday morning and it's supposed to be in the low 40s, which might as well be below 0 for me get out there! Dont let a little cold weather hold you back
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #101  
Token rooster

Okay, so I didn't run outside. I just couldn't, it was painfully cold.

However...all is not lost as I did go to the gym and run 3 miles on the treadmill . I'm going to run 3 miles on Friday and then I have my 5k on Sunday which will put me slightly over 12 miles for the week.

Next week, I'd like to build that up to 14 or 15 miles.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #102  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Matt, I am impressed you even consider running in the cold if you have access to a gym. I was assuming you didn't have a gym membership. I far prefer running outside, but not when it's absolutely [below] freezing!

I just got my pace group assignment for the half-marathon training program I'm starting in January. They put me in the 9:00/mile group, which is ambitious but right where I want to be! Conservatively, I wanted to get "down around 2 hours" but in my heart I know I want to be under. Nine per mile should put me right there. I am so excited for training to start in just a couple weeks.

In the meantime, I have gotten so bored on the treadmill that I've tried two new machines at the gym -- the rowing machine and one of the many stepping machines they have. Enjoyed them both but really I feel like running is simply the best workout. Hopefully will get outside this weekend. Come on plows -- clear me a running route!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Quote:
I'm love to do a marathon in the fall (Oct 2011). I think it would be a natural progression if I'm running a half marathon in May. It will certainly be easier to train over the summer than it is in the winter

WE are in the same page , i want to run a half in may and a full on October

Quote:
Speaking of winter running, is there anybody planning to run tonight in a cold climate? Lets make a bet. I'll get out there and run if you do! It worked last time for me.
I saw it to late , that may be get my to run ..... lats time it works perfect .

Last edited by Tuca125; 12-17-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #104  
Token rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfonseca3017 View Post
I saw it to late , that may be get my to run ..... lats time it works perfect .
I'm going to run tonight...you?

I ran Monday and Wednesday. I want to do an easy 3 mile run tonight and then have a day of rest before my 5K on Sunday. I'm not at the stage in my running life where I really pay attention to time, I just like to finish them
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #105  
Closet health nut!

Pat on the back today please Despite my son waking up at 2:30 am with a fever, TOM starting just before bed last night and the fact that I'm about to lose my mind from stress of moving this weekend, I eeked out a 2.75 mile jog this morning. It was supposed to be a 3 mile run, but I figured it was better than skipping it all together.