Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #106  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Too hot for running here. I know i'm not going to get any sympathy on that one from everyone who's complaining it's too cold!

Last weekend i did a 13km trail race up an escarpment and along an undulating ridge, but it was just too hot. It was 28C when we started and 31C at the end, but really high humidity too. I'm not telling you my time because it was embarrassingly slow.

Cooler this morning though and i did 10km which was good. I've been a bit slack with running the last few weeks and have been decorating instead, so really enjoyed getting out again!

I normally do the Sydney half marathon which is in May - so can i join you lot in the May-half-marathon club?! I'd love to do under 2hrs too but it's not going to happen unless i really get stuck in. I did 2:06 last year and 2:08 the year before. I've never done one under 2hr.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #107  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Kudos ncuneo for running despite some obstacles!

Ange, it looks like a bunch of us are doing halfs in May, awesome!!!

Alrighty, so I ran 3 miles in the gym tonight. I feel pretty good. My 5K race in Sunday morning. After the race, I'll have made my weekly goal of running 4 times at least 3 miles each time.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #108  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

4 miles yesterday in 38:41.
Not sure what I'm doing today, I think I said rest cause tomorrow is suppose to be sunny out and I would love to get in a LR - of whatever my body will let me! We shall see!

Edit to add that yesterday I hit my 650 mile Goal. Anything between now and the end of the year is GRavy! My running anniversary is January 17th my Newest Goal for my Anniversary Date is 700 and thats an easy score!

Last edited by twinmommaplusone; 12-18-2010 at 11:09 AM.
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #109  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Twinmon - like your target setting. That's good.

I was thinking of setting a 2011km goal for 2011. That's averaging 5.5km per day (what's that - about 3 miles?)

It's a bit too ambitious really as i didn't do anything like that much this year - but it's just a tempting target......
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #110  
Token rooster

My 5k race is this morning. Its "fun run" with LOTS of participants and a lot of people dress up in costume. It isn't the kind of race you run to get a good time as it will take a long time for the crowd to thin out and for you to have room to run freely. I'm not really concerned about the time when I run and I'm wicked slow....

All of my friends that were supposed to run this race with me have bailed out. It is going to be cold, but I'm still looking forward to it . I think I'm going to bring my camera and try to take a few photos before the event and after.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #111  
Token rooster

I just finished the jingle bell run! I think my time is pretty good (don't know what it is yet, but I think close to 30 minutes). You should be able to view a few photos here even if you don't have facebook.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
I just finished the jingle bell run! I think my time is pretty good (don't know what it is yet, but I think close to 30 minutes). You should be able to view a few photos here even if you don't have facebook.
Congrats whit your run .
It looks super fun.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm joining this thread quite a bit late, but I don't care. I've finally been able to run without pain this past week since I got a new pair of shoes. I've always really enjoyed running, but I get shin splints that feel like death. Now that I've finally invested in a pair of good running shoes, I was able to run two miles this week and not feel any pain the next day. I'm truly amazed at what a difference shoes can make...

Anyway! My goal for the rest of this month is to run at least three times a week, as far as I can go on the treadmill (still getting a feel for my limits--it's around 1 mile without stopping at this point).
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #114  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Still grounded and I feel like my legs have doubled in flab and circumference. My heel still hurts to walk on and I'm really not sure what to do. It hurts in all different kinds of shoes - nowhere near as bad as it was a week ago, but it's noticeable whenever I'm on my feet.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #115  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Great job Matt, the pics are great, way more festive than our Holiday 5k!

Welcome EuryDice.

Krampush, give it another week, I'm confident your heal will cure itself!

I ran 6.35 yesterday and my legs screamed at me the entire time, I came to the conclusion that I have not been drinking enough, once I increased my fluids yesterday My leg soreness went away and I actually lost 3lbs in one day from it. so Hooray!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #116  
Token rooster

Congrats on the 6.35 miles and the loss!

Krampus, if it isn't better in another week, maybe it is something more serious? You might want to get it checked out. Hopefully you will be out running soon.

I want to run again tonight. I haven't really done many back to back runs, but I think I need to change that as it will help with muscle endurance. Maybe I'll take it easy and do 3 or 4 miles at the gym (at a 5.0 speed, 12 min miles).
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #117  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

At the gym will be a nice change, I bet Bahston is wicked cold (see what I did there?) to be outside.

As for my foot, I'm wondering if my 2 miles each way walking commute to work is slowing the healing process. I'm wearing beat-up puma street sneakers today which are more supportive than my usual loafers/flats and there is still pain. Sadly walking is really the only option I have to get here. Ah well. I went dancing on Saturday night and that was fine.

I really miss running and can't wait to get back into it. Exercise videos are nothing like it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

It is SO snowy here and the city I live in literally ran out of salt. So, Sunday, determined to jog, I took my chances. The snow was like running through deep sand. My normal job of 50 minutes (approx. 5 miles) took 1:15 minutes and I felt dead after it was finished.... but it was also nice in a way, I really felt like I worked a whole new group of thigh muscles.

Eurydice- the correct shoes can make ALL the difference. I was also amazed.

Krampus - I agree, no exercise video compares to jogging! What caused the heel problem?
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #119  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I'm starting to feel like the odd ball here...I LOVE my treadmill! I HATE the cold (strong aversion...STRONG)....Sure, I much prefer running outdoors on a nice cool sunny day, but with my current choices, I do enjoy my treadmill. I have a Landice that I bought off craigslist just a few months ago. I usually listen to podcast or watch a video while running. I prefer the podcast...I find it very relaxing and I totally forget where I'm at.

Yesterday during my 3.5 mile run, my daughter was playing her Wii game. I was watching Mario run around and it felt like I was in the video game!!! That got me thinking...wow...it would totally be cool if there was some kind of virtual reality running game/video.

Does anyone know of anything like that?

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #120  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Hi Everyone! I love this thread, I hope it's not to late for me to join. I didn't run today but I will be running tomorrow, likely indoor if the weather is frightful, but I prefer outdoor runs. I have great trails all around me.

I too am planning a half this spring, in May.

Enjoy your next run, whatever it is.
river is offline   Reply With Quote