Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #91  

HI!

I always have short hair and I plan on going even shorter for the summer. Maybe even do a different color :-). DM
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:38 AM   #92  
Belly Dancing Diva

Default Have to love belly dancing!

I love belly dancing. I used to do it a few years ago, but then stopped due to rather stupid reasons. Now I'm doing again, and I absolutely love it. Everything from the music to the sensual moves to the way I can isolate and flex every muscle in my body is incredible! If I had more money I would take classes, but that will have to wait until I'm done with school and get a job that gets me above the poverty level. For now I'm going to keep shaking what God gave me, and enjoy doing it.

I'm also a GenCon goer, although I don't think I'll be able to make all four days, as it moved from my city to Indianapolis this year, and I just don't have the $150 a night for the hotel stay. I'll probably go on whichever day is fantasy day (used to be Saturdays), and just enjoy myself as much as I can!

I have long hair, and it drives me nuts occasionally, but it's good for dancing. I know women who use beautiful weaves and extensions, so you could always do that if you wanted the temporary look of a long flowing mane.

Peekaboo

Last edited by Peekaboo; 04-06-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Peekaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Peekaboo-where did you get your avatar picture? I have been looking for a bellydancing avatar-something like a dancer or a genie, and haven't been able to find one yet!
I love the cons...I am working on my husband's stromtrooper armor, along with the bellydance costumes I am doing...then it is on to costumes for ME....(moohoowahahahahaha....devilish laughter)
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:51 PM   #94  
Belly Dancing Diva

Default Belly dancing avatars are hard to find

Hi Aphil,

I created mine using the dollmaker at http://www.cartoondolls.com, but there's more of a collection at http://maxpages.com/dollmagic/doll.cgi (use only if you have a good pop-up killer and have some patience). Otherwise I found some nice images I was considering using through the image search at Google. I entered both belly danc* cartoon (or anime), and belly danc* figure. Lots of choices, there.

I wish I had the patience and talent to make my own belly dancing costume, but thankfully I have a wonderful seamstress in my SCA group, and I'm going to see if she can help me. Maybe I'll see you at the con!

Peekaboo
Peekaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:04 PM   #95  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hey peekaboo!

I will be going to Gencon this year too!

I have been dancing for 2 years now and totally love it! I am working on some sewing projects for costumes now too but I think Aphil is the reigning costume queen on this thread

Aphil, how is your hubby's armor coming along?
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #96  

Slowly...the dance costumes are first priority, because they are on a deadline...Jason can be a trooper for the rest of his life! ha ha
The armor is cool though...I must admit I have secretly tried on some of the finished pieces...
Aphil
Old 04-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #97  

Does that make you at Trooperette?

I wish I could dress up at the cons but it is such a pain to pack costumes when you have to fly Maybe one day I will do it!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #98  

I have a lot of "trooperete" friends...a lot of the troopers you see at the cons are actually girls...you just have to take a little better look-shorter a lot of times, with more rounded thighs and calves...with the voice changer boxes...you can't tell by voice!
When we con, we usually drive, with the costumes packed up in rubbermaid tubs.
There are some you could do that wouldn't take up a lot of packing space, such as Lara Croft, the simple Princess Leia white gown-they pack flat...the Queen's and trooper ensembles take a ton of space though...I am actually drawing up sketches to make a Star Wars/Moulin Rouge can-can costume for myself to wear at Celebration III in 2005...it is going to be SEXY...
I have dance class tonight...yippee!!!!
Aphil
Old 04-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #99  

Well phooo!!!! My dance classes are over until the second week in May- I will miss the weeklies but will try to practice at home in the meantime.

I am going to London on Monday for a week and I am hoping to find some Middle eastern stores for costumes, belts and chotkes.
Hopefully I will find something cool and not too expensive

Aphil- your I am sure your Star Wars/Moulin Rouge costume will be gorgeous and you will look very glamorous in it
Old 04-10-2003, 10:32 PM   #100  

I hope you find some great things in London!
My Star Wars can-can costume is going to be a Moulin Rouge type of ensemble...black fishnet hose, black long gloves, black top hat...except the can can skirt and bustier are going to be made from my old Star Wars sheets with all of the characters on them! The ruffles are going to be made of the colors in the sheet pattern, plus a coordinating feather boa...and the whole makeup with the false eyelashes, etc.
My classes run until the first week in June...I am not sure if they hold summer classes, or if they start up in the fall with the school year...I will have to ask my instructor.
Aphil
Old 04-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #101  

...hmmm my hubby still has his Star Wars sheets from when he was a kid....maybe I could make a designer gown out of them He has a Star Wars tie too!
Old 04-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #102  

I know I'm kinda late in the conversation, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE to bellydance!!!!! I'll be dusting my tapes off and getting to it again!

Bella23
bella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:18 AM   #103  

Class was great this week...and my teacher is loving the stream of costume garments I am bringing in each week. Hopefully they will all be done in the next 2-3 weeks.
I went to Jo-Ann fabrics last night to pick up some more serger thread, and cruised the clearance fabric. I found a great cotton fabric for $1.88 a yard...it is a deep red, with a print on it in gold....I brought 2 yards of it home, and it matches perfectly with my red hip scarf with the gold coins...I have been wanting to make a choli or wrap top to go with it.... One of my silk veils is tie dyed in three layers as well...from gold to deep red to violet-so if I add a black gypsy skirt-it is a nice pulled together look for dancing for friends or at a hafla or other not so dressy event.
My teacher told us that she is going to be offering some private lessons over the next couple of months, if any of us in her regular classes want to get some extra one on one time-to get help on certain moves that we may be having trouble with or just to better refine our technique. I am thinking about taking a private lesson or two with her soon. Everyone is different, and what I do well, others have trouble with, and a move that some of the girls have mastered, I have trouble with-so I think that is good for someone who is serious about dancing.
I also noticed in class this week, that my abdominal muscles are really starting to become apparent...I by no means have a six pack, but I am getting the prequel to a six pack...the two definition lines that run down on either side of your belly button...the ones that frame the six pack if anyone is ever lucky enough to get one. Now I just need to lose some more of this fat layer on top of it!
Aphil
Aphil
Old 04-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #104  
deleted2

Hi Aphil! I know those lines you're taking about---after years of thinking I'd never have them, I'm starting to see alittle defintion there. And that sexy line down the middle too--love that! I attribute my baby six-pack to Pilates and bellydancing.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:25 PM   #105  
shortea

Can someone who has used the tapes for a while , tell me how much you losted? I need to lose 85lbs and haven't found a fun way to do it yet, or for that matter anything other than strick dieting that works. Please Help I am 19 and don't want to be like this for the rest of my life.

shortea